• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
I'mma let you finish but Secret Laboratory from P4 is the worst dungeon of the modern trilogy. Unless you just really love to backtrack through narrow corridors and puke green environments.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Cross post from the RPG community thread:
I finally completed Persona 5. I enjoyed the overall theme of the game and what they were going for with the story. When it comes to characters, I liked a few of them, but some of them felt really cringe, like Futaba, Anne and Ryuji. I don't hate the character stereotypes they went for in general, but they dialed it up too much. Some were good, like Haru and Makoto. I liked the non-playable confidants more. They had more compelling stories. The requests you got from Mementos were decent, but the actual dungeon was so-so. Still better than Persona 3/4 dungeons.

I liked the concept of different palaces. I actually enjoyed exploring them. They looked good and if there was a gimmick, it didn't bother me. In short, I enjoyed the dungeon part of the game more than P3/P4. Presentation can get you a long way

And presentation is probably one of the game's strongest point, while also being a weak point at times. Environments, characters and monsters all look great. Menus are gorgeous and easy to navigate. Lots of plus points for presentation in general but, for what I suppse is their flagship rpg series, they could have gone with full scenes instead of character portraits. It's something that I rarely complain about, and deep down, I have no personal problem with it, but it would probably help make the game feel "less cheap". (I'm struggling for the right words here.)
With that said, it wouldn't make me enjoy the sequel less if they kept it the same.

The VA was decent in general. Some misses and hits. The translation works but felt a bit stiff. The phone chats felt like they could have been more authentic. No one writes that way with friends.

What I enjoyed the most was combat. It felt stylish, fast and provided a decent challenge. I sure hope anyone who thinks Persona 6 will be an action rpg is wrong. The PTS is just as fun as ever. Negotiating to get or fuse new Personas is fun and last but not least, I enjoyed every boss fight in the game.

I'm not sure where I rank this if we look at 3/4/5.

I like the characters less for each game. But 5 had the best exploration. I like the combat in 4 the most, but but 5 has the best presentation. It's a tough call, but P4G has a soft spot in my heart and is the game I like the most as an overall package.

I don't see myself replaying the game, not even the Royal version. The time investment required makes me very hesitant. From P2-P5, I have only replayed P3P because I wanted to play as the FMC once.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say these early famitsu covers are.........something.
Vol.-551.-July-7-1999-Persona-2-Innocent-Sin.jpg

May-4-2007-Persona-3-FES.jpg

1023-July-2008-Persona-4.jpg

https://personacentral.com/famitsu-magazine-atlus-cover-compilation/

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I need to take at least a week off to even try to beat this in time for FFVII. Normally I'd be fine juggling multiple games but... but not these two. I can't do that. THey each deserve their own time and I sure as heck ain't putting off FFVII. Oh boy.

EDIT: Just realized a week is about all the time left between this and FFVII. Welp. Probably won't make it then. *sighs* What is with February/March 2020?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp got the Ultimate edition pre-ordered on PSN. The theme is nice but I still wish we got one of the ones Japan got but it'll do till they start selling the individual character ones.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It feels nice to replay Persona 4 on the Vita. Hard difficulty feels fair and it gives you normal experience. I like it forced me to use the elemental items, I never use that when I played the original game.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It feels nice to replay Persona 4 on the Vita. Hard difficulty feels fair and it gives you normal experience. I like it forced me to use the elemental items, I never use that when I played the original game.

I think the the most difficult part of the game on hard is honestly the first dungeon before you get Yukiko.. other than dice enemies one shotting you with last resort

You can get divine grace much earlier on than in 3

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should really read Mementos Mission.

Akechi tells Joker he needs a disguise and Joker just immediately thinks "Police Lady."
EKyen4XW4AAL-QZ

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the the most difficult part of the game on hard is honestly the first dungeon before you get Yukiko.. other than dice enemies one shotting you with last resort

Yukiko is too OP imho. But that's why she is the best girl from Persona 4 :P

By the way it's quite nice defeat those rare shadows which drop a lot of experience. They are throwing 1500 per enemy and in a single battle I defeated three of them. I think I'm going to break the game soon lol

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finished Rise palace dungeon in a day and now I feel a bit burned out of the game lol It doesn't help I don't play my portable machines at home and I got stuck two days here.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Rise palace dungeon in a day and now I feel a bit burned out of the game lol It doesn't help I don't play my portable machines at home and I got stuck two days here.

I've had a replay of P4 on the go for about 3 months now, there's no hurry lol. Almost finished the Naoto dungeon, probably the least memorable section of the game

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess one advantage to the manga's slow release schedule is they could just add the Royal stuff in the middle.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Volume 1 of the Persona 5 manga comes out in English next week.

It's gonna be on ComiXology so I'll probably get it.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Finished PQ2. Had a good time just like with the first game. The special screenings had lots of nice character moments.
Between this and Strange Journey Redux, which I played before PQ2, I'm done with first person dungeon crawling for now.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the manga I like that it puts a bit more emphasis on Akira's reaction to all the rumors about him. It feels a lot more impactful when you see just how upset it makes him.

Also Ryuji mishears Morgana at one point and calls it a fursona and I don't know how to feel about that.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I want to see a Persona x Yakuza now. Give me Persona but with Yakuza open world and time progression, give me a Yakuza with a Persona day system and social links.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So according to an interview Scramble was originally pitched as a more traditional "Persona series Warriors" but they decided to focus on the cast of 5.

Interesting how these things change. Given the change in perception to Scramble I'd say they made the right call.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Two notes

-P5S is getting a Japanese demo on January 6 on Switch and PS4. Super easy to make and use Japanese accounts on the Switch so I'm going to download it and mess around.
-English "meet the phantom thieves" P5R trailer released today, seems like this is the start of localized marketing for the game. Also random note: unlike P5 I prefer the English trailers for P5R to the Japanese ones.