• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Still need to play PQ (Hell I own it so no excuse) but will pick up PQ2. I like the continued support for the 3DS though. At least for me it keeps my Switch in competition for which to play.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Confirmed to not have a dub.
(UPDATE: Regarding the lack of an English voice track, an Atlus representative provided the following statement to IGN: "Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth's localized release will be available exclusively on the Nintendo 3DS with a Japanese voice track and English subtitles. There are no plans to add an English dub to the game at this time.")
Wow.....

Guess I'm skipping this one then.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm actually surprised we're even getting it this late into 3DS's life at all. They skipped Persona 2: Eternal Punishment on PSP so I thought it could be another scenario like this. In an ideal world both Strange Journey Redux and this would have gotten an English dub over just Japanese voice track but what can you do? Still playing it.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it doesn't have an English voice track, I'm still glad they're localizing it at all.
Back in the day they probably would've just skipped over this release completely like they did with Persona 2 EP on PSP.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but if the choice was between sub only and not getting it at all I'd prefer actually playing it. This is much better than the P2EP situation.
As I said earlier I'm glad for people who are actually going to play it.

I won't say I'd rather it not come out because I know others will play it. But for me personally it doesn't matter because I'm not getting it until it's on sale then.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
No, but if the choice was between sub only and not getting it at all I'd prefer actually playing it. This is much better than the P2EP situation.

Definitely agreed. Though I thought the issue with P2EP wasn't that it didn't make sense economically, but that maybe possibly they lost the code and/or Atlus Japan didn't want to do it. I know there's never been a definitive statement on why P2EP PSP never came out here, these are all guesses the community has made and I thought someone from Atlus USA said it wasn't because they thought it wouldn't be profitable.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I'll get it, I'm an Etrian Odyssey and SMT/Persona fan but I found Q1 to be lacking.

Can't wait for EO Nexus at least, we're so close.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty funny that this localization was announced right after Nintendo slashed their 3DS hardware and software sales forecast. Not the best timing, Atlus.

You say like if Atlus operates with rationality. That's why I like them I guess lol
Even if it doesn't have an English voice track, I'm still glad they're localizing it at all.
Back in the day they probably would've just skipped over this release completely like they did with Persona 2 EP on PSP.

I'm still sad about P2 EP situation :(

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely agreed. Though I thought the issue with P2EP wasn't that it didn't make sense economically, but that maybe possibly they lost the code and/or Atlus Japan didn't want to do it. I know there's never been a definitive statement on why P2EP PSP never came out here, these are all guesses the community has made and I thought someone from Atlus USA said it wasn't because they thought it wouldn't be profitable.

Yeah it's always been a non-answer, and definately sucks. Even though they pushed out Gungnir and Growlanser so late on, I always figured that they didn't want to ssy "PSP has too much piracy - not worth" on their statement.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
And that's my last 3DS game. No dub isn't really surprising considering they've stopped doing dubs for the 3DS games. They gave one to EO5 for some reason? But not Strange Journey.

If I can get the Koromaru plush edition in Europe I will. Either way I'm buying this day 1 because this will be a low as hell print run.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Christ, some real salty posters in this thread. Where's that "Dancing 3DS w/ Crying Girl" gift when I need it?
ekjpq9ykasg7.gif

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to no Dub, Atlus released a statement
DyRFvTjWkAIcHLs.jpg

Man atlus to this day, is still the biggest supporter of the 3ds ever
Don't forget the PS Vita. They fully supported it (to some capacity still do with P3D/P5D and who knows what else possibly). I think they went on record stating that the PS Vita will never die. So if true, they will continue developing for that.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The 3ds hasn't had the legs for Atlus that they got from the PS2

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yes. I guess when English is not your first language it puts things in perspective. If I did not play everything that does not come in spanish I could hardly play anything Japanese.
I'm brazilian, if I wait for dubs I'll never play nothing lol
This is a good point.

I wonder what is the proportion of native english vs non-native for those complaining about the lack of subs.
Reminds me of a similar thread a few months ago where some people complained about subs because they had to read the screen and couldn't follow the action at the same time (paraphrasing). Most people that spent their life in non-english speaking countries are used to this kind of stuff though, and there's absolutely no issue watching something with subs, seeing what is on the screen and what is written at the same time.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
We've known it's a 3DS only game since it was revealed, what's the point of all this complaining?
No dub is a shame but it's a hell of a lot better than not getting it at all.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
We've known it's a 3DS only game since it was revealed, what's the point of all this complaining?
No dub is a shame but it's a hell of a lot better than not getting it at all.
Indie studios can afford to port and dub their games no matter how small. Meanwhile atlus can only release this game on 3ds without a dub as well, and this is pretty uncharacteristic for a modern Persona title, spin-off or not. strange journey didn't have v/o with its original DS release, so that was somewhat understandable, can't remember if Radiant Historia got a dub for its re-release. And don't get me started on Catherine Full body not getting a full release on PC in favor of Catherine classic and skipping Switch in favor of Vita, or the lack of info on SMTV and the new P5 game.

Atlus has always been such a headache of a company.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Indie studios can afford to port and dub their games no matter how small. Meanwhile atlus can only release this game on 3ds without a dub as well, and this is pretty uncharacteristic for a modern Persona title, spin-off or not.
There's a big difference of budget between the voice cast of 3 persona games combined and an indie game.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indie studios can afford to port and dub their games no matter how small. Meanwhile atlus can only release this game on 3ds without a dub as well, and this is pretty uncharacteristic for a modern Persona title, spin-off or not. strange journey didn't have v/o with its original DS release, so that was somewhat understandable, can't remember if Radiant Historia got a dub for its re-release. And don't get me started on Catherine Full body not getting a full release on PC in favor of Catherine classic and skipping Switch in favor of Vita, or the lack of info on SMTV and the new P5 game.

Atlus has always been such a headache of a company.
You are conflating a lot of unrelated things here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
no english dub is crazy but i'll take it. Guess it's a fan release thing for the west.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, but surprised at no dub but I guess Q1 probably did not sell that well.

None of the deluxe bonuses interest me either.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
If Q2 not selling well in Japan is the reason to not dub, that's kinda cheap. I would have thought they would have decided on dub or not BEFORE it came out in Japan.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Q2 not selling well in Japan is the reason to not dub, that's kinda cheap. I would have thought they would have decided on dub or not BEFORE it came out in Japan.
Why would you expect that? I dont think Atlus has ever done a simultaneous localization/worldwide release. And dubs are often one of the last things done in loc.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
There's a big difference of budget between the voice cast of 3 persona games combined and an indie game.
It is an egregious comparison yeah. But I can't help but feel the only reason we aren't getting a dub is because the system the game is releasing on is literally dooming the product. I don't think this game sold very well in Japan, people are finally moving on from the 3DS while Atlus is still clinging to it. It's frustrating because I want to get another 3DS to play this and SJR, but after hearing this I just wish it came to a more popular system to begin with

:shrug: I'm tired and moving on, I'm sure some of will enjoy pq2 the way it is released and that's fine

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus doesnt roll that way unfortunately. Most of the localization stuff ends up happening after the Japanese release which is why we get the game 6 months later too

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
It is an egregious comparison yeah. But I can't help but feel the only reason we aren't getting a dub is because the system the game is releasing on is literally dooming the product. I don't think this game sold very well in Japan, people are finally moving on from the 3DS while Atlus is still clinging to it. It's frustrating because I want to get another 3DS to play this and SJR, but after hearing this I just wish it came to a more popular system to begin with

:shrug: I'm tired and moving on, I'm sure some of will enjoy pq2 the way it is released and that's fine
Normally I'd be down with Switch port begging and agree with this, but EO-style dungeon crawlers are one of the very few kinds of games that are best on 3DS and wouldn't really work as well elsewhere.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'm finding myself more and more wishing that Nintendo would do with the Switch in landscape mode what they did with the Wii U gamepad and brain training... Somehow?