• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding myself more and more wishing that Nintendo would do with the Switch in landscape mode what they did with the Wii U gamepad and brain training... Somehow?
Not sure that would work, EO/PQ require the stylus, it's an entirely different type of touch screen. Plus the screens aren't even the same size/resolution.

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the no dub thing was a joke, seems like its true :'( haven't they learned anything from #FE? Idol stuff aside having no dub killed that game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I thought the no dub thing was a joke, seems like its true :'( haven't they learned anything from #FE? Idol stuff aside having no dub killed that game.
I'm pretty sure it was a combination of the Wii U, idol stuff, and #FE not being what people were expecting that killed that game.

Whether or not it got dubbed didn't really matter, and knowing that, Atlus opted not to dub it.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Oh cool, another
game that takes place in some weird limbo that none of the characters will remember and is totally inconsequential to the overarching plot.
(Spoilers for other Persona spin-off games.)

But still....Day One.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me wonders if we are going to get more details on this in March to go with the P5R news? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If anyone were to make a claim on "What killed #FE?" (If there was anything mind it,) it was more to the idea of the Localization and censoring that ruined the game rather than the "No Dub." Swimsuits apparently is going too far...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll one positive for no dub is don't have to worry about Atlus getting Vic back to voice Junpei. Or thinking less of them as a company.

Not something I want to be worrying about.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone were to make a claim on "What killed #FE?" (If there was anything mind it,) it was more to the idea of the Localization and censoring that ruined the game rather than the "No Dub." Swimsuits apparently is going too far...

nah, the main claim would be they didn't really promote it in the west in any event imho

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
You know, now that I think of it, I'm still upset about Troy Baker being replaced. I mean Matt Mercer but I can definitely tell the difference. Actually, most of Persona 4's main cast's English voices have been replaced. Though the replacements are pretty much all pretty good other than Rise's P4D voice.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I played some of this imported. It's fun, but I have to echo the sentiment that not having a dub really hurts it. A lot of what makes these Persona spinoffs special to me is continuing to follow the characters, and they don't feel like the same people to me when their voice and way of speaking changes suddenly like this. It's not as bad as callous VA replacements though like when they couldn't get Laura Bailey on board again for Persona 4 Dance. Rise's performance in that game was pretty bad.

I'll probably pick this up for the Koromaru plushie if nothing else

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that people are shocked by the lack of an English dub. Atlus hasn't dubbed most of its recent major 3DS releases (Strange Journey Redux, Etrian Odyssey Nexus, etc.). Why would this be any different?

The only thing that I find crazy is that this is getting a somewhat lavish collector's edition (whereas Strange Journey got absolutely nothing...*grumble*).

The persona name carries heavy expectation of bearable voice acting (at the very least). Honestly I'm just glad its still coming over. There's just one more game I want to get localized.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Aww man, I was ready to retire my 3DS. Why can't you make 3DS and DS games BC on Switch Nintendo, seriously?? Make this a priority on switch 2 please. Will buy though for Persona Q2

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Aww man, I was ready to retire my 3DS. Why can't you make 3DS and DS games BC on Switch Nintendo, seriously?? Make this a priority on switch 2 please. Will buy though for Persona Q2
The main issue is that the Switch lacks the hardware for an accurate stylus because it uses a capacitive touchscreen rather than a resistive one. Capacitive touchscreens require additional hardware for good stylus functionality (like the Apple Pencil, Surface Pen etc.) and the styli are not cheap because they are active devices rather than passive.

I'd much rather see a 3DS successor with a higher resolution display and full backwards compatibility than more Switch hardware.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
You literally were saying how you cant wrap your head around the fact that the person fanbase isnt some hive mind. Some want jpn voices, some want eng voices. It shouldn't take a whole amount of thought to understand that some people are going to be upset about the lack of one. Good for you that youre completely satisfied though.
I understand that no english voices makes some fans upset but people are getting extremely salty. And they were jumping to conclusions on the first and second page even before anything was confirmed. I like the english VO and the japanese one but I guess I'm not as attached to them like others are.
there's a huge difference between adding an option and completely dropping one that's the primary language in the west. Like yeah, if you 'really wanna play' you will but that could be said to any game obviously. It's probably not your intent but you come off as kinda condescending lol. 'Don't cry about it' ... it's a discussion forum and It's incredibly disappointing that characters we've grown attatched to for years are gonna have their voices and in turn some of their personalities stripped a bit.
Sounding condescending wasn't my intent so I apologize for that. I'm used to the english voices myself, but hearing people dropping the game because of VO is kinda disappointing. As of my first post about the eng/jpn voices people were already jumping on the salt train before they even know if they will be added or not. That's why I wrote the whole "stop crying" thing. Well in the end they were right. It sucks for sure, but I hope we can still try to make the best out of it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'd much rather see a 3DS successor with a higher resolution display and full backwards compatibility than more Switch hardware.

Me too. I'm just not ready to give up the DS family form factor, dual screens, stylus controls, portability, and most of all game library.

Nintendo handhelds all the way from the Game Boy onwards have had BC with at least the previous system, and it worked out amazingly well for them. Being able to play your existing games on the new hardware has always been a big draw of the Nintendo handheld systems.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Seems that the CE won't release in Europe, to no surprise.
edit: it's not in the european trailer.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Man, some of you giys complaining about the VO would hate not having English as your main language lol.

It wasn't so many years ago that it seemed like Atlus could do no wrong
You must not be from the PAL region then.
I still can't wrap my head around how they managed to botcher Devil Survivor 2, Arena 2 AND SMT IV for the PAL region in a couple years. SMT IV being by far the most insulting, as it made it compete with... The first Persona Q.

Speaking of: any news for a PAL release?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Man, some of you giys complaining about the VO would hate not having English as your main language lol.

I still can't wrap my head around how they managed to botcher Devil Survivor 2, Arena 2 AND SMT IV for the PAL region in a couple years. SMT IV being by far the most insulting, as it made it compete with... The first Persona Q.

Speaking of: any news for a PAL release?
Posted earlier, but:
PQ2 release the same date in EU, but without a CE or any bonus with the regular edition.
Also probably low stocks as usual with Deep Silver.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Oops. You're right, I totally forgot about all that fuckery.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Yeah that doesn't make sense to me. They got those VAs for the dancing games, why not knock Q2 out?
There's a BIG cost difference between having three games' ensemble casts recording a couple hundred lines for a current-gen music spinoff and having them record a whole 80+ hour RPG's worth of lines for a 3DS dungeon crawler in 2019.

Atlus knows how much this is going to sell, and they're localizing accordingly. (To be frank, I'm half-amazed they're doing it at all; this could easily have been another situation like the PSP version of Persona 2 EP, where they just straight-up decided the game wasn't even worth the translation in the first place.)

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Seems that the CE won't release in Europe, to no surprise.
edit: it's not in the european trailer.

I also watched the trailer, indeed and as expected no Special Edition for Europe and Oceania. I was fooled by Deep Silvers trailer for Etrian Odyssey Nexus, because they presented at the end of the trailer the same Launch-Edition as for the release in the US. Received my copy yesterday, very early indeed since the game is officially not out, and nothing. Just a stripped down version of the Artbook inside the regular case. Seems like it was a mistake in the trailer, but since it's Deep Silver, I'm not even wondering after the first disappointment.

So, Atlus opened up a european branch, dumped Deep Silver as a Publisher in Europe (yet another publishing partner in Europe they dumped) because they want to publish their games themselves to provide the same or similar content like they do in the US. First office action was to release The Alliance Alive digital in Europe. They told me via Twitter it was due to the deal with Deep Silver handing over the stuff to Atlus and in the short time it wasn't possible to produce a retail version for Europe.

What do we have now? The publishing deal with Deep Silver (Koch Media) ended with either Etrian Odyssey V or Strange Journey Redux and yet Deep Silver is publishing Etrian Odyssey Nexus and will publish Persona Q 2. What the fuck are they actually smoking?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
ekjpq9ykasg7.gif

Needs to be stickied on every thread relating to the 3DS.

I want that plushie but kinda confused as to availability for EU/AU =/.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Needs to be stickied on every thread relating to the 3DS.

I want that plushie but kinda confused as to availability for EU/AU =/.

So seems like only the US gets it.

So Import seems to be the only option.
And you would need a homebrewed or american 3DS to play the game then.

On the official PQ2 website they list 3 options right now when you click on preorder.
Amazon.com doesnt ship to europe(or atleast not to Germany), Gamestop US which won't even load for me, so seems like they have a region lock on their webpage, and VideogamesPlus, which is from Canada but ships internationally.

I just ordered it there.
I think I already got something from them before, so they should be fine.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
So seems like only the US gets it.

So Import seems to be the only option.
And you would need a homebrewed or american 3DS to play the game then.

On the official PQ2 website they list 3 options right now when you click on preorder.
Amazon.com doesnt ship to europe(or atleast not to Germany), Gamestop US which won't even load for me, so seems like they have a region lock on their webpage, and VideogamesPlus, which is from Canada but ships internationally.

I just ordered it there.
I think I already got something from them before, so they should be fine.

Thanks I'll check it out. Might also ask the local EBGames, will update here.

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

A few items on Amazon.com are actually locked out. When it comes to pre-orders, you may not be able to pre-order them if you want them to shipt it to Germany or another country located in Europe. But this might change when the article is available.

But Amazon.com became very price heavy when it comes to import. There were times, not so long ago, where it was quite affordable to order as a single person from Amazon.com. Just a comparison: When you ordered from the european Square Enix Store they charged you with 25 Euros shipping costs which was hilariously absurd (about 28 Dollars). They shipped from the UK, by the way. They lowered their shipping costs to Germany to 13 Euros now (about 14 Dollars) which still is hilariously high, but more affordable than before. They are shipping from France now.

As for Persona Q 2, will most likely stick with the regular edition. While it is a dick move again from Atlus and another middlefinger to Europe, over the past 15 years, I got pretty used to it. It was worse though when NISA was their publishing partner in Europe because there were also stock problems and no extras at all. Since Deep Silver handles it, they give out a free theme for the 3DS or a little Artbook. Of course that's not what we thought would happen when Atlus promised to bring equally good launch and special editions to Europe when they start publishing their games here.

But it's still a niche game for a relative old system, maybe the risk for them is too high. Never was interested in Homebrew stuff for my Handhelds and a single game will not change this.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Q2 didn't sell well in Japan?

Well, it was nice having a spinoff series that wasn't a fighting or dancing game while it lasted.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm just happy that it comes to Europe in physical form at all, though most 3DS Atlus titles do. Does anyone know why SMT4 didn't get a physical release in Europe? Apocalypse did.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Q2 didn't sell well in Japan?

Well, it was nice having a spinoff series that wasn't a fighting or dancing game while it lasted.
The 3DS is at the end of its life, and it released close to Etrian Odyssey X too. Aka, game might have sold better if it released sooner.
I'm just happy that it comes to Europe in physical form at all, though most 3DS Atlus titles do. Does anyone know why SMT4 didn't get a physical release in Europe? Apocalypse did.
There's multiple factors. Multiple things seemed to indicate that Nintendo was going to localize the game (and/or at least publish it there), but plans fell through, and the fact that Atlus USA was really bad with EU at the time (they still are).
It always comes back to Atlus not caring about Europe though, it could have been released in physical version, even if it was a year late.