• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
And now that I think about it, it's the same story with the grandaddy of them all...Super Mario!

Super Mario.
Wait, which one was the original? Mario Bros?

I've never liked Mario games. Just not that type of gamer.

Give me all the Luigi's Mansions though. Or Wind Waker. Or Metroid Prime 1. Or Starfox Adventures.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only persona game I played was P4 Golden for the Vita. I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I'd like the others. I mostly played because I liked the characters so much--especially Yukiko. She's my secret waifu

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
If Atlus ever decides to stop being jerks and allow the PS4 share button, ill add another sale to Persona 5. Till then I have plenty of other games to play that don't restricts system level features. Shame though, P4G is one of my all time faves

That was a ridiculous decision at launch, and to still be enforcing it now is disgraceful.

I might actually go back and do a NG+ and get the platinum if they allowed me take screenshots.

funroll-loops

Oct 29, 2017
My only concern is how moving to the Switch will influence the design of SMT V. The Switch is much more powerful than the 3DS or PS2, which could increase development costs significantly. I really appreciated that they were able to keep SMT as the lower budget RPG that maintains its focus on demons destroying Tokyo, while they also increased the production values and drawing in a bigger audience with the more popular Persona series. It was a nice way to handle the series compared to, for instance, what happened with Fire Emblem

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
My only concern is how moving to the Switch will influence the design of SMT V. The Switch is much more powerful than the 3DS or PS2, which could increase development costs significantly. I really appreciated that they were able to keep SMT as the lower budget RPG that maintains its focus on demons destroying Tokyo, while they also increased the production values and drawing in a bigger audience with the more popular Persona series. It was a nice way to handle the series compared to, for instance, what happened with Fire Emblem

It doesn't need to be incredibly high budget, it could be something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions or even Persona 5. Mid budget efforts.

funroll-loops

Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't need to be incredibly high budget, it could be something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions or even Persona 5. Mid budget efforts.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how this will turn out with Japanese devs on the Switch. Etrian Odyssey is another series I'm watching that's probably moving to the Switch that has apparently sold like, 1.5M copies in its entire existence

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, Atlus! Now that you're really hitting your stride...

Aren't you tired today?
Let's go to sleep already.

ZixlerBavala

Oct 29, 2017
They are both RPGs but with different themes and gameplay systems. Persona games focus heavily on the story, SMT focus more on the dungeon crawling.

Oh. While I did love P5 it certainly wasn't because of the dungeon crawling. It was nice, and I enjoyed how simple and streamlined the combat system was, but I don't think I would've enjoyed the game this much if it was its main selling point.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Could you elaborate, please? I'm a newcomer both to SMT and JRPGs as a whole.

Let me just clarify, because my wording is a bit off. I meant to say that just because you like Persona doesn't mean that you'll like smt. That said, smt is more dungeon based then Persona is now. So gameplay takes a greater focus than story. A lot of smt games can be story light, but it seems like that's been changing as time goes on.

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats but still feels kind of low compared to other bigger games in the same Genre. Nonetheless the Atlus team has pumped out great games so I hope for more moving forward, or maybe a new concept.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, didn't know Persona overshadowed main series. Amazing.

8.5 million in 21 years? Uhm, that's low.
7.2 million in 30 years O.o

Wow, so Persona has overshadowed SMT now? So why haven't they brought SMT over to PS4 and Persona over to Switch? Makes no sense honestly.

Persona has long overshadowed SMT, particularly P3 and above. Ironically though there continue to be many vocal SMT fans that decry many of the aspects of the modern Persona games (Social Links, Time Management, Waifus/Husbandos etc) that have become the exact reasons that people are so fond of the franchise and given it the commercial success it has received over the years.

Steiner

Oct 29, 2017
Congrats, Atlus! Now that you're really hitting your stride...

Aren't you tired today?
Let's go to sleep already.

Atlus maxed out Kawakami, so they don't have to go to sleep.

It's great to see those numbers. SMT and especially Persona is a very unique game series, that sticks out of the countless samey JRPGs.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Any other examples of a spin-off selling (etc.) better than the original? This is amazing and highly amusing. Either ways, though, congrats to ATLUS. This is awesome.