• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is somewhat a rant and I'm not looking for sympathy for me or my family and I know there are people way worse off but just helping to show a light on what happens to people after the 24/7 news coverage stops.

So as some of you know my Sister and her family's house was devastated in Hurricane Irma. She was already being hit by floods from rains beforehand. She lost some of her animals. All of her furniture, appliances, TVs and her clothes, flood and raw sewage. It's an older house and the raw sewage and water damage is in the foundation and walls. The adjuster couldn't even stay in the house for more than 10 minutes at a time doing his report. She lives in the Naples area. First FEMA offered her a hotel room, in Tallahassee. Thankfully a friend offered her one of her empty rentals. That lasted about two weeks when she started trying to get her to move out.

The city has been trying for years to buy her and her neighbors out because of the location and wanting to expand the area. Insurance nor FEMA has got back to them yet and probably won't for awhile, people here in Jax are still waiting on payments from last year. Anyways the city finally made them a buyout offer of 30k this week for their property. That's not even near enough to pay off their mortgage.

People say "why don't you just move" after this stuff and this is a big part of the reason why. This is the same shit that happened with Katrina and others and will continue to happen. They get trapped in between insurance/FEMA not paying out and the city swooping in like vultures when people are at their most vulnerable. It's really infuriating and she feels helpless and I'm at a loss of words to help her.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear this. I've always hated how the media covers the sights and sounds of disasters but when it comes to real journalism to look at the longer term fallout, they almost completely disappear. It's like the hurricane ends and life is back to normal.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's fiction and in no way can be compared to what you went through, but the TV show Tremé by David Simon is a good representation of what happened after Katrina in Louisiana. It show how people scramble to get back to their lives and how slow and shitty the whole process is. The show isn't about the disaster, it's about celebrating the culture there, but those woes are a big part of it.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really sorry. This is the great insurance scam of our age. And it's stuff like this that doesn't get reported.

Oct 25, 2017
as it happens, this is the topic discussed in last sunday's Last Week Tonight as well.
So at least the word on that situation is being spread.

Speaking from a non-US point of view however, it is really odd that the government doesn't straight-up buyout people's homes entirely. Also, the lack of city planning to account for floods, but that's probably because I live in the Netherlands, and we're sorta obsessed with that.