• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Ideally, the tongue should rest in the top of the mouth and provide an internal support system for the upper jaw.

Randomly, I came across a couple sets of videos online; this youtube channel named "Orthotropics" by a Dr. Mike Mews. Where the guy suggest that adults with underdeveloped jaws, chins, and more narrow or elongated faces are not a matter of genetics but that of muscles and correct posture within the mouth, the posture of the tongue. It is also suggested that people with crooked teeth suffer due to not performing this action which is suppose to support the upper jaw.

He suggest that individuals should live their entire lives making sure that their tongues rest firmly at the roof of their mouth, touching the hard palate, with upper and lower teeth in contact, breathing only though the nose. He also suggest that mouth breathing is unhealthy for an aesthetic face and causes a slow elongating of the face. I've never heard of anything like this before and have found it interesting. Personally, as a child, my parents would scold me if I sat around with my mouth hanging open, but I've never made a habit of resting my tongue at the top of my mouth as Dr.Mews suggest.

Here is how the position should be, based on his ideas.

tongueposture.jpg

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmZZfO0hXLo

What do you guys think? I'm going to try it.

Last edited:

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
My tongue rests pretty naturally at the top of my mouth like that image. Not really something you pay attention to until you're asked to notice it.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to be like "of course my tongue rests on the bottom of my mouth" but then I thought about it and realized that it was touching the roof. The other way feels unnatural. Mind blown.

OP
OP
AlecKoKuTan

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
My tongue rests pretty naturally at the top of my mouth like that image. Not really something you pay attention to until you're asked to notice it.

I've been doing it a couple of hours now, I read about bodybuilders doing this while lifting heavy but I've never done it this long till today. It felt odd for a while, but now it's quite freaking comfortable.

This was the first video I found.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Roof of my mouth.

I actually can't imagine it resting anywhere else as I'm sitting here trying to naturally rest it elsewhere, but it doesn't seem to work without straining the rest of my mouth.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't tongue placement depend on what was your first language?

Also, mine just touches the "top." Thought that was normal.

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is close to that image but my lower teeth rest behind my upper teeth. Is that not how it's supposed to be? You're supposed to have the tips of your teeth touching at all times?

Doesn't seem natural.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I am now aware of my tongue pushing my mouth.

Thanks, maybe you should make a thread about tinnitus next.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
It also helps with pronouncing fricatives like /s/ and /th/, since your tongue is already in the correct position.
Nose breathing is recommended so the air gets filtered and more humid while breathing in.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, according to that image your upper teeth should be resting on your lower teeth?!

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was taught that in martial arts to facilitate breathing well as a kid, so yeah, my tongue is usually up against my palate.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Welp. I guess I have the front teeth of a beaver because there's no way my teeth can be positioned comfortably as depicted in that image.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, damn you for making this thread. The last time someone brought up tongue placement I was thinking about my tongue for days!!

But uhh, what the heck at that image in the OP? So it should rest at the bottom with just the tip pointing up? My whole tongue just suctions to the top.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
top of my mouth. i had speech therapy for four years to help with a impediment and lisp, we would put those dentist foam pieces under our tongues and recite sentences to keep it up there.

ive also got a bad underbite, sometimes it's tough to keep it there.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of thing that, once asked, I'll think about for the rest of the goddamn day.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making me think about this. Now I can't get my tongue comfortable asshole.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, they can be aligned without touching in a resting position.

The tongue shouldn't touch your teeth in its resting position. Major cause of teeth movement.

When I close my teeth they fit together snugly with my top teeth slightly overlapping the bottoms, you know, like the model of teeth you'll see at any dentist's office? Are you claiming that's an overbite?

Wholesale-Price-plastic-dental-model-of-teeth.png

That's not how that works.

I'm not a dentist, if any of you are I will accept the correction.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Wha?? Do I have a long tongue or something? I have to manually yank it back if I don't want it touching my teeth.

You're just used to the less than ideal position. With time the correct position will be easier and easier to accomplish. Retraining muscles as complex as the human tongue is no easy task.

I'm not a dentist, if any of you are I will accept the correction.

Not a dentist either. Still, have you ever seen front teeth biting directly onto each other? Of course not. The upper front teeth overlap the lower ones in an ideal bite.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Whats funny is when i open and close my mouth my tongue smoothly switches its rest position from the top of my mouth to bottom.

Like a well oiled mechanism

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a dentist either. Still, have you ever seen front teeth biting directly onto each other? Of course not. The upper front teeth overlap the lower ones in an ideal bite.

Hmm, you're right, they do naturally overlap the bottom everso slightly, I guess I subconsciously align them when I bring my teeth together.