• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017

Women's football is more popular than ever before, with the ongoing 2019 World Cup enthralling audiences across the globe. While EA added women's teams in a limited capacity back in FIFA 16, PES has so far eschewed the women's game entirely. Publisher Konami has now confirmed that stance will continue in PES 2020.

"I personally support the women's game and have been following the World Cup closely," the series' European brand manager, Lennart Bobzien, told GameSpot in a statement. "However we currently don't have any plans to integrate women into eFootball PES 2020."

EA's series holds the licensing rights to feature the FIFA World Cup competitions--for both men and women's teams--so it's unsurprising the tournament hasn't been featured in PES in an official capacity.

However, it's disappointing to see the women's game not represented at all in PES given the sport is now more popular than it has ever been.

I have no words

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I imagine EA holds most of the notable women's league licensing and even they struggle to actually implement it in a meaningful way, so this isn't shocking

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair PES tends to arrive pretty late to any feature, so them only arriving to women several years after FIFA does is not exactly a shocking thing.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Lol

First comment pretty much nailed it and it's very insignificant in Fifa, a game with 50x the budget. There are priorities in these games, I imagine if they made Women a priority now, we'd see them in 2022 or 23.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Disappointing, but i do understand especially given the licensing issues with EA, and i expect FIFA 20 will have a huge push on it this year so they won't be able to compete.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
If they don't have the World Cup license is it still worth it? Probably not. I imagine the vast majority of people exposed to international women's soccer follow the world Cup and maybe the Olympics. Those people are buying FIFA anyway

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Why? They have decided to not have and that's it. If you dont like it dont buy it
"Why express opinions about a video game company doing a kinda crappy thing with their video game on this video game forum?"

Anyway, that's lame. I get it if it's licensing related, but to just come out and say "no" is pretty lame.

Jesus christ people get offended by everything today.

Oh man, I'm so glad you edited your post to add this gem.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine EA holds most of the notable women's league licensing and even they struggle to actually implement it in a meaningful way, so this isn't shocking

EA patched in women's national teams a few weeks ago. I believe you can only play one off matches.

I'm not sure what the OP expects, I don't think PES has the rights to pull it off and EA hasn't showed any real effort either.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
From the article, it makes it sound they can't do anything with the national team rosters which is really the only form of woman's football that is marketed to any capacity. Makes some sense in that regard. If they can't do national team rosters, it would have to make deals with various leagues which seems like it would take some time. PES already has issues with having teams missing so it ain't like licensing ain't an issue with PES.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame they don't, and if they did it might even help them stand out against the juggernaut that is FIFA, but I wouldn't say this is particularly outrageous.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
They barely survive as it is let alone needing to provide time and manpower to the necessary models, animations and funding for licences

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a licencing issue for Konami, but then I expect EA to have a bigger push for women's soccer, there is no reason it shouldnt

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Budgeting/Time/Licensing issues (and if it's those he can't exactly say that openly as it's not a good look), pretty understandable considering how FIFA only implemented it in somewhat meaningful fashion. Honestly I'm surprised PES is still continuing as a franchise.

Goddamnit I read that thread title wrong initially.

Me too and I got really confused for a second.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Hum... Simplke question: Does EA Still has women teams in FIFA 19 and 20? Or was just a one off for that year?

Oct 27, 2017
Utterly embarrassing. Konami have lacked the licensing rights for the mens game for years and have still made it work with different team names ie Merseyside Blues (Everton) Merseyside Reds (Liverpool) etc

Don't tell me that they couldn't make it work here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing, but i do understand especially given the licensing issues with EA, and i expect FIFA 20 will have a huge push on it this year so they won't be able to compete.

I'm curious if adding the feature will spur on more interest in the games over in the US. Of course, in that context, having the actual licenses to do so would be a massive benefit.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would assume it's a money thing. Hell EA don't even touch Pro Clubs or Career Mode very often these days.
I dont see why given how popular it is, especially in Europe. I get its more time and money, but if they wanted to scrap the campaign mode fluff, this would be a meaningful improvement that at the very least would generate some news. Granted I havent played a Fifa game in a while, so I dunno how much they have been changing around

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
EA patched in women's national teams a few weeks ago. I believe you can only play one off matches.

I'm not sure what the OP expects, I don't think PES has the rights to pull it off and EA hasn't showed any real effort either.

Women's national teams have been in FIFA day 1 for years now. They just added the WC skin.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any statistics by EA how many people have actually played with women's teams in FIFA?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Including them would significantly increase the development time in all likelihood. PES goes pretty overboard in terms of animations and I don't think copying animations for male players onto a female model would translate to good looking/feeling game.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Anyway, that's lame. I get it if it's licensing related, but to just come out and say "no" is pretty lame.

Lol why is that lame? Do you want him to lie and say that they are looking at it or what? What exactly would you have him say? He is pretty respectful in saying that he is watching the womens world cup, but they have no plans to implement it. It's not like he is shitting on womens football.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
The most important part of this is that someone didn't think "plans to integrate women" as a phrase would be hilarious.

"We have acquired a new company that is pioneering a new technology called 'women.' We plan to have women integrated into our product line and sales reports by Q3."

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
FIFA has them in kick off and tournament mode ONLY, aka the modes that see maybe 1% playtime per title lol

Firefox

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's hope.

EA said this a few years back:

So is this a case of Konami having less resources compared to EA? (I doubt that they actively do not want women players being represented in PES)

"We get literally thousands upon thousands of suggestions from our fans for new features and we have to evaluate those suggestions, such as the inclusion of female players in the game, against our resources, priorities and overall fan feedback. At present, we don't have plans to include female players in the game."

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It would be more surprising if they did with the state of their ship right now.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Konami have skirted by doing the bare minimum with this series for a while. This will be the 5th year of FIFA games with women's teams while PES continues to spin its wheels.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
How is this series still alive? Would have thought it died down years ago. PES was the shit back then but nowadays it's pretty much dead

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Why? They have decided to not have and that's it. If you dont like it dont buy it. Jesus christ people get offended by everything today.
It would be a pretty great idea to add women, as women's football is pretty hot right now. And I doubt anyone is seriously offended by this, it's just a dumb decision from their part.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
It would be a pretty great idea to add women, as women's football is pretty hot right now. And I doubt anyone is seriously offended by this, it's just a dumb decision from their part.
It's not a dumb decision at all. By the time PES launches the Women's World Cup will be a distant memory, and I say this as someone who has watched and enjoyed most of the games.

Mar 11, 2019
I do not see a reason to get angry about this. There could be multiple reasons behind their decision. First of all, deciding priorities with limited man power taking into account what the costumers request.

Outside of womens national teams the popularity of womens football pales in comparison to mens football. Even with attempts to make it more popular. I believe the lower level of play, plays a role making it much less attractive to watch. Although there are some woman who could deserve more credit (including financial) of what they achieved in their careers.

As other mentioned licensing could play a role.

Konami have skirted by doing the bare minimum with this series for a while. This will be the 5th year of FIFA games with women's teams while PES continues to spin its wheels.

I believe the opposite is true, with FIFA barely improving on the core game, while PES has seen significant improvements primary on gameplay, physics and player likenesses. However, whereas FIFA has plenty of modes added in those years, PES has been lacking in this department, and in that respect it can be viewed as bare minimum. Although I take PES gameplay over pretty much any mode and licensing from FIFA.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
It's not a dumb decision at all. By the time PES launches the Women's World Cup will be a distant memory, and I say this as someone who has watched and enjoyed most of the games.
Yeah, but you know you could include women in the first place. Its no wonder PES has been pretty irrelevant compared to FIFA when one offers a 1-in-all football game, and the other one feels like a demo.