• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
For the 4 PES fans on Era, finally we have an official word from Konami about what the hell they're doing with PES:

TL;DR/DW:

- PES 2021 will be the leaked "season update", they don't get into much detail, but doesn't seem like more than a patch/standalone update.
- PES 2022 onwards will run on Unreal Engine, built from the ground up.

I really hope it's good next year!

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
FortunateValuableAdder-size_restricted.gif

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Seems like a good plan. Launch this year's PES at a cheaper price point to gain market share and then come in with the next gen game next year.

Oct 27, 2017
An annual sports game taking a year off to rebuild itself is interesting and something I think a lot of other franchises should do.

Cant wait to see how Konami balls it up.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
i tried playing mgsv the other day and yea, it doesn't hold up great (graphically) so whatever to fox engine. tbf it is an early gen game but still

all for an unreal engine football game can't wait to see what they do with it

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine I guess, COVID-19 must have messed up their yearly cycle pretty bad considering it's been since March at least the workflow has not been the same. Update the rosters in time for the new season, then concentrate on making a big upgrade for next year with the new engine.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Fucking hell man, they also lost AC Milan and Inter Milan's license. TBH, I thought they were going to give up on PES altogether. That's a relief.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
That's fine I guess, COVID-19 must have messed up their yearly cycle pretty bad considering it's been since March at least the workflow has not been the same. Update the rosters in time for the new season, then concentrate on making a big upgrade for next year with the new engine.

Pretty much my take. PES 2020 is pretty good, can't see how much more they can improve in the current circumstances, so I am totally fine with this.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Fucking hell man, they also lost AC Milan and Inter Milan's license. TBH, I thought they were going to give up on PES altogether. That's a relief.

Even if FIFA is much more popular PES still sells pretty well, I'd be stupid to just let it die. Granted, it's Konami, but at this point PES can't be that expensive to make.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like it, what an engine it could have been if it was handled properly.

Do yall think the animations will look as realistic as those from Fox Engine animations in PES?

Haven't seen Unreal Engine Sports games in a while. There was a Black College Football game based off UE3 that released on thr 360.

lamalande

Feb 9, 2019
I guess Fox Engine must be a pain in the ass to work with. But I'm not sure they should have release such a WIP footage as this kinda look worse than PES 2020 in my opinion.

Impressive to see UE really be use by kinda any genre game now.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Even if FIFA is much more popular PES still sells pretty well, I'd be stupid to just let it die. Granted, it's Konami, but at this point PES can't be that expensive to make.
I would not be surprised to eventually see someone like Sega, Ubisoft or Activision acquire PES from Konami entirely. Maybe Tencent too.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Built from the ground up? Sounds like the 3rd time (maybe even more...?) PES will rebuild with a completely shit version, only to take years to recover to an acceptable standard.

But maybe they'll break the cycle finally.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
I guess Fox Engine must be a pain in the ass to work with. But I'm not sure they should have release such a WIP footage as this kinda look worse than PES 2020 in my opinion.

Impressive to see UE really be use by kinda any genre game now.

I don't think the Fox Engine is a pain to work with. But it's worthless maintaining and upgrading your proprietary state of the art engine when you release one AAA game a year and it's a yearly soccer game. It was born at a time when Konami seemed to have grander ambitions for game development, now that they've scaled those down to the fucking basement it's a pointless expenditure. Does Konami even have software engineers skilled enough to do serious engine work left?

(I'm also not sure the engine was particularly suited for soccer games, just like Frostbite never seemed to be a perfect fit for most non-DICE games.)

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Built from the ground up? Sounds like the 3rd time (maybe even more...?) PES will rebuild with a completely shit version, only to take years to recover to an acceptable standard.

But maybe they'll break the cycle finally.

I am worried about that too, but I prefer a change rather than keep iterating with minimal changes year-upon-year.

I would not be surprised to eventually see someone like Sega, Ubisoft or Activision acquire PES from Konami entirely. Maybe Tencent too.

Maybe. I just think at the moment it'd be stupid to let it go, football is huge worldwide, so even being the alternative to FIFA (though IMO PES is currently better), is still a pretty decent place to be.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I was excited that they're getting an extra year to work on 2022. A bit pessimistic now that it's an engine change but I'm really excited to see how the game runs and plays on UE.

May 7, 2020
Well they do make genuine changes, not enough to warrant full price though. Just having a reskin will kill the pes franchise imo, which is a shame, but let's be honest, it hasn't been great since the ps2 era.
Yeah. Cant disagree. Konami drop the ball hard. They were on the top of the world till pes6.
EA also dont give a fuck. They buy exclusive modes why would they improve?
Fucking hate this shit. Football is in the ditch

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Well they do make genuine changes, not enough to warrant full price though. Just having a reskin will kill the pes franchise imo, which is a shame, but let's be honest, it hasn't been great since the ps2 era.
2008 killed PES. It's been on life support since then. The last few years have been good/great bar 2019 but the damage 2008 did to the series is probably insurmountable.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
PES killed itself over a decade ago.

During the PS2 days and the early PS3 days, PES was the real shit and FIFA was the B-tier series.
EA did put a lot of effort years ago by improving the game and they are dominating, Konami didn't care enough, the lost so many licenses over the course of this decade and people obviously went to FIFA.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah. Cant disagree. Konami drop the ball hard. They were on the top of the world till pes6.
EA also dont give a fuck. They buy exclusive modes why would they improve?
Fucking hate this shit. Football is in the ditch

All sports games are. Sports games have never been in a worse shape. All the major titles have no competitor and offer next to no gameplay improvements year after year. Ever since microtansactions have taken over, publishers care more about finding ways to make money than to improve their games.

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
will never understand why people prefer FIFA over PES..
To be fair, if PES has four fans around, FIFA might have six. Between Era being super US centric and, in general, giving no shits about sports games, the fanbase is pretty low lol

Do yall think the animations will look as realistic as those from Fox Engine animations in PES?

Haven't seen Unreal Engine Sports games in a while. There was a Black College Football game based off UE3 that released on thr 360.
Well, animations at the end can be plugged in in most engines, it's not an engine centric thing. Case in point, PES 2020 still uses some animations from the PS2 PES in their keepers (sounds nuts, but it's true, there are very very few instances where it happens though).

I'm very excited to see a sports game in Unreal, I don't think I've have ever played one, and Unreal has been gearing towards a genre agnostic engine, so the old issues they could have had has been mostly mitigated with UE4.

May 7, 2020
PES killed itself over a decade ago.

During the PS2 days and the early PS3 days, PES was the real shit and FIFA was the B-tier series.
EA did put a lot of effort years ago by improving the game and they are dominating, Konami didn't care enough, the lost so many licenses over the course of this decade and people obviously went to FIFA.
Exclusive licence should be illegal. Fifa dont own football. Its really frustrating how a corporation took over a public sport. Disgusting

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
In theory this seems like it makes a lot of sense. The previous releases when they've changed engines / generations have been very barebones and rough so hopefully giving themselves the extra time helps with this.

Maybe a chance to finally start completely over with some of the menus etc and put some kind of focus on anything other than MyClub (holding out very little hope for this)

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
In theory sounds like a good plan, but I'm not sure that the game engine was the problem with PES right now. This seems more of a cost management topic than something that will significantly improve the game. Unless Fox Engine was such a pain in the ass that was somehow stopping them from significantly improving the content of the game beside the gameplay itself.

At least the longer development cycle should hopefully allow them to not have a gimped first version although I'm not sure if there is enough time for building a football game from scratch.

OP
OP
Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Exclusive licence should be illegal. Fifa dont own football. Its really frustrating how a corporation took over a public sport. Disgusting
FIFA (the organization) is not the one giving FIFA (the game) the licenses, EA has to negotiate with each league (and sometimes, with each team) separately.

In that sense, they have the exact same conditions as PES, the difference is that EA has a shitload of money and Konami doesn't, or doesn't use it for this matter at least.

May 7, 2020
FIFA (the organization) is not the one giving FIFA (the game) the licenses, EA has to negotiate with each league (and sometimes, with each team) separately.

In that sense, they have the exact same conditions as PES, the difference is that EA has a shitload of money and Konami doesn't, or doesn't use it for this matter, at least)
I didnt know that. Still crappy. Also, fuck uefa as well. I hate everything about football nowadays. To think i put 1000s of hours since 1995. And see the state football games are in today