• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
He was a nice guy, but let's not pretend that he wasn't known as 'that guy who harasses dangerous wild animals' when he was alive. And yeah, surprise surprise, one day one of the frightened animals he was harassing lashed out and killed him. I don't disagree with their point, people shouldn't emulate what he did at all.

As for the usual 'peta bad' posts in this thread, I'd love to hear your alternatives to euthanising stray pets. Is it to find some unlimited source of funding to look after all these animals that people have abandoned? Or just to release them onto the streets to starve? Those animals deaths are on the puppy mills and the people who buy from them, not Peta.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Peta's actual goals and ideologies, would be considered comically absurd if portrayed in a movie. They'd be the outlandishly evil corporation with horribly stupid goals and motivations.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Peta's actual goals and ideologies, would be considered comically absurd if portrayed in a movie. They'd be the outlandishly evil corporation with horribly stupid goals and motivations.
... What do you think PETA's goals are? Because people treating animals ethically doesn't seem that outlandishly evil to me.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... What do you think PETA's goals are? Because people treating animals ethically doesn't seem that outlandishly evil to me.

Peta's long term goal, is that all animals should be completely free, meaning no pets, in no way or form. No service dogs. Nothing.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/17/peta-sorry-for-taking-girls-dog-putting-it-down

Peta's "official" statements on what they want, are a lot less nefarious than what they do in practice.

https://youtu.be/w59mbOHf140

Dec 3, 2018
He did harass wild animals and his methods were clumsy and rough, but he did so much for getting countless people interested in animals and their conservation. Sometimes a blunt tool is the right one for the job.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
By killing 80% of the animals in their care?

You can find their responses to things like that here:

http://features.peta.org/petasaves/
https://www.peta.org/features/deadly-consequences-no-kill-policies/

Hmm.. whilst I don't agree with everything PETA says I see their base message as being 'Be good to animals'. I don't see how that is 'evil'. If everyone was that way then the organisation wouldn't exist, and we wouldn't have things like zoos either (the 'bad' zoos wouldn't exist as they're just cruel, and the 'good' ones wouldn't need to either as there'd be minimum habit loss and no poaching).

Last edited:

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can find their responses to things like that here:

http://features.peta.org/petasaves/
https://www.peta.org/features/deadly-consequences-no-kill-policies/

Hmm.. whilst I don't agree with everything PETA says I see their base message as being 'Be good to animals'. I don't see how that is 'evil'. If everyone was that way then the organisation wouldn't exist, and we wouldn't have things like zoos either (the 'bad' zoos wouldn't exist as they're just cruel, and the 'good' ones wouldn't need to either as there'd be minimum habit loss and no poaching).

My above post shines a bit more light on why I find them ridiculously obtuse and comically "evil".

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Peta's long term goal, is that all animals should be completely free, meaning no pets, in no way or form. No service dogs. Nothing.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/17/peta-sorry-for-taking-girls-dog-putting-it-down

Peta's "official" statements on what they want, are a lot less nefarious than what they do in practice.

https://youtu.be/w59mbOHf140

People always post this case, but it really seems like an honest and understandable mistake? Peta were called to a trailer park to collect a pack of stray dogs. Someone's pet was with the dogs, and was taken away as well. A terrible mistake, but hardly a deliberate act of evil like you're trying to imply.

The other one people love to post is where a woman who worked for Peta was off duty, found a runaway dog on the side of the road and took its collar off and took it to a shelter. Which is obviously wrong, but was also just the actions of one person, not the whole organisation, and I think she was fired for it.

Maybe take a while to check whether your opinion of PETA has been influenced by one of the largest (and most immoral) industries on earth that sees the animal rights movement as an existential threat? Because whenever you actually look into these cases they never seem as bad as people make out.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
PETA are scum.

Whatever point they have about ethical treatment of animals is lost in the fact they are absolute cuntwagons.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I wonder, if in a 100 years or so, we will look back on our treatment of animals and think of our past selves as utterly morally reprehensible.

Oct 26, 2017
People always post this case, but it really seems like an honest and understandable mistake? Peta were called to a trailer park to collect a pack of stray dogs. Someone's pet was with the dogs, and was taken away as well. A terrible mistake, but hardly a deliberate act of evil like you're trying to imply.

The other one people love to post is where a woman who worked for Peta was off duty, found a runaway dog on the side of the road and took its collar off and took it to a shelter. Which is obviously wrong, but was also just the actions of one person, not the whole organisation, and I think she was fired for it.

Maybe take a while to check whether your opinion of PETA has been influenced by one of the largest (and most immoral) industries on earth that sees the animal rights movement as an existential threat? Because whenever you actually look into these cases they never seem as bad as people make out.

I'll just leave this here:

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
PETA is garbage.

What a shitty take from an organisation that kills pets and dumps them in trash bins while funding known arsonists/criminals.

Fuck PETA.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
As for the usual 'peta bad' posts in this thread, I'd love to hear your alternatives to euthanising stray pets. Is it to find some unlimited source of funding to look after all these animals that people have abandoned? Or just to release them onto the streets to starve? Those animals deaths are on the puppy mills and the people who buy from them, not Peta.

Either this is an example of a statement that has been very, very poorly phrased as a matter of choosing your words, or you genuinely believe this.

So I posit the question to you then. Do you honestly believe your statement? Specifically, the bolded line?

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume this was just very poorly worded, but if not, do you seriously and truly believe animals should be euthanized just because they are strays?

What about situations in where their owners died due to cataclysmic storms, or the animals got separated from their owners due to said violent weather? ( Hurricane Katrina anyone? ) There are multiple issues and scenarios you are not taking into account in what I am viewing to be an incredibly tone deaf statement right now.

There are organizations out there, like Hope for Paws, Bark N Bitches, and VET Ranch, and multiple other organizations that find and rescue strays and place them into foster homes so that they can find a forever home. People donate to these organizations where strays, often in some horrific conditions, end up getting rescued and rehabilitated by Veterinary doctors and staff, fostered into a home, and adopted. We are talking about animals that PETA would immediately euthanize because of their stance of " Mercy " and their frequent views that the animal is " Too Far gone to save " instead of trying to actually save their life and show them the mercy of love and understanding and the benefit of owners who will treat them with compassion, mercy, and adoring love.

I'd rather trust organizations like Hope for Paws, Bark N Bitches, VET Ranch in a freaking heartbeat compared to being locked in a damned freezer to die cold and alone. Because " Mercy ". [ WARNING!!! If you have a soft heart for animals I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY recommend not reading the article as there are numerous photos of the end result of PETA's " Mercy. " I have a soft heart when dealing with subjects like this and what I saw was effing horrifying and beyond heartbreaking. ]

Euthanizing an animal because it just a stray is incredibly tone deaf and beyond heartless and downright damned inhumane. Not to mention outright horrifying to me.

Take this video for example. If PETA had found Miley, they would have euthanized her. No doubt in my mind that they would have. But Hope for Paws saved her life and showed her the love, care, and tender affection strays deserve. And she was given a second chance because of that.

There is almost always an option, and an answer to be found in the name of True Mercy and Love.

PETA does not believe in that option.

Actions speak louder than words.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I think your description is simply dishonest. Someone's pet was taken away and KILLED.
That's in no way "understandable". That's a lack of proper procedure that is so careless, I don't have any trouble calling it evil.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Either this is an example of a statement that has been very, very poorly phrased as a matter of choosing your words, or you genuinely believe this.

So I posit the question to you then. Do you honestly believe your statement? Specifically, the bolded line?

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume this was just very poorly worded, but if not, do you seriously and truly believe animals should be euthanized just because they are strays?

What about situations in where their owners died due to cataclysmic storms, or the animals got separated from their owners due to said violent weather? ( Hurricane Katrina anyone? ) There are multiple issues and scenarios you are not taking into account in what I am viewing to be an incredibly tone deaf statement right now.

There are organizations out there, like Hope for Paws, Bark N Bitches, VET Ranch, and multiple other organizations that find and rescue strays and place them into foster homes so that they can find a forever home. People donate to these organizations where strays, often in some horrific conditions, end up getting rescued and rehabilitated by Veterinary doctors and staff, fostered into a home, and adopted. We are talking about animals that PETA would immediately euthanize because of their stance of " Mercy " and their frequent views that the animal is " Too Far gone to save " instead of trying to actually save their life and show them the mercy of love and understanding and a the benefit of owners who will treat them with compassion, mercy, and adoring love.

I'd rather trust organizations like Hope for Paws, Bark N Bitches, VET Ranch in a freaking heartbeat compared to being locked in a damned freezer to die cold and alone. Because " Mercy ". [ WARNING!!! If you have a soft heart for animals I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY recommend not reading the article as there are numerous photos of the end result of PETA's " Mercy. " I have a soft heart when dealing with subjects like this and what I saw was effing horrifying and beyond heartbreaking. ]

Euthanizing an animal because it just a stray is incredibly tone deaf. Not to mention outright horrifying to me.

Take this video for example. If PETA had found Miley, they would have euthanized her. No doubt in my mind that they would have. But Hope for Paws saved her life and showed her the love, care, and tender affection strays deserve. And she was given a second chance because of that.

There is almost always an option, and an answer to be found in the name of True Mercy and Love.

PETA does not believe in that option.

Actions speak louder than words.

The vast majority of animals on the streets are not there because of hurricanes or their owners passing away and not having family to look after their pets, come on be honest. The fact is there are more animals being abandoned than there are people willing to adopt them. Until you come up with a better solution or shit tons more funding than euthanasia is the only humane answer.

Those other organizations are great, but until more action is taken against puppy farms or more people choose to adopt they're fighting a mathmatically impossible battle.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
PETA has had the worst public relations since I was in high school. I used to go to school 5 minutes away from their headquarters (it's not far from the community college I went to, and about equally as far away from Old Dominion, where I finished up) - been dealing with them for a long time.

And what's sad is their core cause is supported by most it seems. They're just dicks.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
I think your description is simply dishonest. Someone's pet was taken away and KILLED.
That's in no way "understandable". That's a lack of proper procedure that is so careless, I don't have any trouble calling it evil.
Yeah, the correct procedure wasn't followed. That was wrong. But acting like it was a deliberate decision to kill someone's pet is a lie.

And to be honest I'm not going to have much sympathy for crocodile tears about a single person's pet being accidentally killed when most people are completely indifferent to tens of billions of similarly intelligent animals being killed each year.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Steve Irwin did more for animal conservation and raising awareness in his life than PETA ever have or ever will do, so they can just fuck off with this one. He never killed animals because they were an inconvenience and then tried to lie about it. PETA has no moral high ground in any form.

If you love animals and want to help them, support local charities and organisations who do great work every day, who are passionate about what they do, and help campaign against unethical treatment of animals. If you want to help ensure thousands upon thousands of healthy animals are needlessly killed every year, join PETA I guess.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
The vast majority of animals on the streets are not there because of hurricanes or their owners passing away and not having family to look after their pets, come on be honest. The fact is there are more animals being abandoned than there are people willing to adopt them. Until you come up with a better solution or shit tons more funding than euthanasia is the only humane answer.

Those other organizations are great, but until more action is taken against puppy farms or more people choose to adopt they're fighting a mathematically impossible battle.

You are sidestepping my point and it is incredibly telling that even an animal in a situation that I ascribed to, your stance would still be " Kill the animal. "

Effing Hell man. You do actually believe this?

You're better than this man. You CAN be better than this. There is ALWAYS a better option instead of just throwing up your damned hands and going " Welp, it's a stray. Or it was raised in a puppy mill. Better kill it now. "

FUCKING HELL.

I'm just at a loss for fricking words. I sincerely hope someone would show you the mercy that you are clearly not giving towards animals who have no control over their lot in life should you ever need it.

I just...I can't even...

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
And to be honest I'm not going to have much sympathy for crocodile tears about a single person's pet being accidentally killed when most people are completely indifferent to tens of billions of similarly intelligent animals being killed each year.
I don't think you understand people, and it's super weird that someone with so much empathy for so many animals has next to none for humans.
'"Crocodile tears", you can't be serious with that rhetoric?

EDIT: Also, I don't think an evil act has to be deliberate to be evil.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
You are sidestepping my point and it is incredibly telling that even an animal in a situation that I ascribed to, your stance would still be " Kill the animal. "

Effing Hell man. You do actually believe this?

You're better than this man. You CAN be better than this. There is ALWAYS a better option instead of just throwing up your damned hands and going " Welp, it's a stray. Or it was raised in a puppy mill. Better kill it now. "

FUCKING HELL.

I'm just at a loss for fricking words. I sincerely hope someone would show you the mercy that you are clearly not giving towards animals who have no control over their lot in life should you ever need it.

I just...I can't even...

It's much kinder than your choice, which apparently is to leave them on the streets. I've visited countries where that happens, those animals are not living happy lives, they starve and they die. Blame the people who put them there, not animal shelters.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017

Those other organizations are great, but until more action is taken against puppy farms or more people choose to adopt they're fighting a mathmatically impossible battle.

whew, found the peta member.

Rather than opening shelters for these animals to be adpoted, lets just kill em and dump them in a pile, am i right?

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
It's much kinder than your choice, which apparently is to leave them on the streets. I've visited countries where that happens, those animals are not living happy lives, they starve and they die. Blame the people who put them there, not animal shelters.

You are making vast assumptions about the kind of person I am in that statement. I have fought free kittens being mangled to death from the jaws of dogs without a second thought in regards to my own damned life.

My option is to make an attempt to MAKE a damned difference. To put forth effort and try. Even just one person standing up and doing the right thing makes a huge difference versus sitting on your damned hands and giving the hell up or not even making an effort. If folks did as you ascribed to, NO ANIMALS would ever end up getting helped.

Gods help me, the thought of us as a species being like that...*Shudders*

Yes, overpopulation is a problem. But that is why we have humane Capture, spay and neuter and release for feral colonies of cats as an example. That is just one example of a program that helps against the issue.

We cannot control the world around us and it's circumstances. These animals in many circumstances have literally zero control over their situation. The point is to make a difference in the here and now within the means we have now at the present. To strive to make the world a better place.

Not every animal can be saved from it's situation. But given the choice between not trying at all versus actually standing up and at least making an attempt to make a difference towards the betterment of this world and that animal's situation, I will always take the latter. I will do everything I can to make that difference.

Because to do anything less in that situation in my opinion would make me less than human.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
whew, found the peta member.

Rather than opening shelters for these animals to be adpoted, lets just kill em and dump them in a pile, am i right?
Saddest part is, people agree with that. If everyone stood up and said hey PETA, killing perfectly healthy animals is a bad thing to do so go fuck yourself, PETA would be dead by now. But they're not, because they have millions of supporters (some in this thread, clearly...) who believe thousands upon thousands of dead animals is necessary collateral for some kind of "greater good" that they will eventually achieve. It's BS.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It's less so about killing one lost dog and more about how much of a last resort killing is actually is for them, considering this is how they put it:
PETA performs the heartbreaking task of euthanizing animals who are unwanted for one reason or another: because they are aggressive, sick, hurt, elderly, or at death's door and because no good homes exist for them.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
This is a bunch of bullshit, euthanizing healthy animals is more about economics than anything else. Stray pets life in the city isn't much different from the struggles most wild animals deal with in the wild, who are we to decide they're better off dead than left trying to survive on their own?!

Beside the economics of keeping bets in a shelter, there are a lot of other reasonable reasons for euthanizing animals, but please, how naive do you have to be to actually believe "kindness" is one of them?!

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was a nice guy, but let's not pretend that he wasn't known as 'that guy who harasses dangerous wild animals' when he was alive. And yeah, surprise surprise, one day one of the frightened animals he was harassing lashed out and killed him. I don't disagree with their point, people shouldn't emulate what he did at all.

Donating to a charity to provide a home for the abandoned pets should be a solution. Perhaps if people could see the 1000s of pets abandoned it would spur change into legislation against puppy mills. Right now it seems like PETA is just covering up the mess caused by puppy mills.

In my experience PETA is still in business because a lot of people just don't know what they are - like a whole lot. I think the average person practically confuses them with the ASPCA. It is assumed that any group that says "be nice to animals" is just a generic animal shelter charity. Many people do not read about stuff like this on the internet and don't see PETAs absurd internet campaigns.

If nothing else attacking Steve Irwin is at least a way to make some more mainstream persons wonder what's really up with PETA.