• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Probably gonna duck out of this thread now tbh because I don't think this conversation is really going anywhere, but I'd encourage people to read PETA's own response their most frequent criticism: http://features.peta.org/petasaves/ (warning may contain some distressing images of abused animals EDIT: Actually nah it's fine I was thinking of a different page)

tl;dr they're a shelter of last resort, they do lots of other work to save animals, and the meat industry funds a huge propaganda campaign against them

(P.s. despite the highly original and hilarious 'found the peta member' comment above I'm not a member, but reading up on what they do due to this thread has definitely made me consider it)

I look forward for the day when PETA is defunct.
If you mean the day when animals are no longer treated unethically in our society, me too!

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I wish we could trade the cunt who wrote that tweet for Steve Irwin. The world would be a better place.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Probably gonna duck out of this thread now tbh because I don't think this conversation is really going anywhere, but I'd encourage people to read PETA's own response their most frequent criticism: http://features.peta.org/petasaves/ (warning may contain some distressing images of abused animals EDIT: Actually nah it's fine I was thinking of a different page)

tl;dr they're a shelter of last resort, they do lots of other work to save animals, and the meat industry funds a huge propaganda campaign against them

(P.s. despite the highly original and hilarious 'found the peta member' comment above I'm not a member, but reading up on what they do due to this thread has definitely made me consider it)

If you mean the day when animals are no longer treated unethically in our society, me too!

2HjFjZR.jpg

Hypocrites.

PETA is hypocritical and cultish and Newkirk is their own creepy version of David Miscaviage.

Stuff like this tweet ain't new. Remember them using **actual** Holocaust imagery in their anti-livestock initiatives, marketing? That's who PETA is. All I can say is they might have decent intent but their methods are crazily ineffective and abusive.

If people have the time they should watch the documentary on Ingrid 'I Am An Animal'. At best she is an odd, strange exploitive terribly misguided woman.

I'll just leave this here:

Hmmmmm.

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine if people seriously suggested you read ISIS' own response to their most frequent criticism and then accept that as gospel.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if a chicken knew what a Nazi was...

But they don't. Because they're fucking chickens. Which is why they shouldn't be compared to Holocaust victims.

Comparing PETA to ISIS sure is... Something.

But fine, feel free to read this Snopes article instead: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/peta-taking-pets/

From your own Snopes link (itself quoting—but not rebutting—a PETA critic):

"In the last 12 years, PETA has killed 31,250 companion animals. While PETA claims the animals it takes in and kills are "unadoptable," this is a lie. It is a lie because employees have admitted it is a lie. They have described 8 week old, 10 week old, and 12 week old healthy kittens and puppies routinely and immediately put to death with no effort to find them homes. It is a lie because rescue groups, individuals, and veterinarians have come forward stating that the animals they gave PETA were healthy and adoptable and PETA insiders have admitted as much, one former intern reporting that he quit in disgust after witnessing perfectly healthy puppies and kittens in the kill room. It is a lie because PETA refuses to provide its criteria for making the determination as to whether or not an animal is "unadoptable." It is a lie because according to a state inspector, the PETA facility where the animals are impounded was designed to house animals for no more than 24 hours. It is a lie because PETA staff have described the animals they have killed as "healthy," "adorable" and "perfect." It is a lie because PETA itself admits it does not believe in "right to life for animals." And it is a lie because when asked what sort of effort PETA routinely makes to find adoptive homes for animals in its care, PETA had no comment."

So yeah. PETA is garbage.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

PETA doesn't care about animals unless it's to bring more attention to PETA itself. Animals are a means to an end which is making them more money. They're more akin to a cult than a helpful charity.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018

I'm not a PETA supporter but tweets like this leave a bad taste in my mouth. The person in charge of PETA's twitter is being a jerk so this person's response is to tell them they wish they got killed by the Stingray instead?

Can we save that kind of talk for the real monsters that walk among us? Telling someone that they should have been the one who was killed over something like this is a bit harsh IMO.

By all means shut the organization down of course.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not defending it or not defending it, I'm just saying a chicken would probably agree.

Sounds like a defense to me, albeit the defense of somebody not quite courageous enough to admit they actually agree with this type of disgusting bullshit.

You can disagree with caging animals and slaughtering them without using the systematic murder of more than 11 million people as a fucking propaganda prop.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the controversy about individual cases of animals being wrongly taken or euthanized, publicised at great lengths by the meat industry, check out Snopes. There's certainly truth to the notion that there have been mistakes and the system isn't perfect but the idea that it is policy or common is simply false.

I disagree with PETA's advocacy approaches and instead support organisations which have demonstrated more efficient means to help end animal suffering. However their position on dealing with strays is rational, responsible, and sadly necessary. I'm shocked by how little understanding people in this thread have of the problem, it seems many posters believe responsible people are just lining up to adopt cats and dogs (including those with serious health or behavioral problems) and PETA is killing said animals before they have the chance. The reality is that millions upon millions of animals languish away in shelters and get put down reluctantly by people who care about their welfare because they don't have the capacity. And it isn't just PETA doing this. If they didn't do it, the grim task would be passed on to someone else.

If your solution to this problem is to throw money at it and keep millions of these animals in shelters indefinitely then you are missing the forest for the trees. These forgotten animals exist because breeders create them. Remove the demand and the problem goes away. The average person won't want to pay the costs for those shelters anyway. But they are happy with their money going to kill farmed animals in far worse conditions at a rate many magnitudes higher.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a defense to me, albeit the defense of somebody not quite courageous enough to admit they actually agree with this type of disgusting bullshit.

You can disagree with caging animals and slaughtering them without using the systematic murder of more than 11 million people as a fucking propaganda prop.

This is actually a tactic PETA has used before and it was not well recieved.

Oct 26, 2017
There's a reason other animal rights organizations steer clear of PETA and it's because they're assholes and always have been.

to-animals-all-people-are-nazis.jpg

Besides the obvious, another infuriating thing about this is that PETA is known for putting massive numbers of animals to death.

So they're being hypocrites here on two fronts:

1. Comparing chickens being put to death to Jews and other groups being put to death by Nazis, when PETA itself has blood directly on its hands for animal slaughter.

2. At least those fucking chickens were eaten. They joined the food chain. They weren't just disposed of after death like PETA's victims. Are we supposed to believe PETA is somehow above these farmers because they probably blow kisses at the puppies and kittens before killing them?

Oct 28, 2017
They're such a fucking joke of an organization.

You can be vegan, anti-cruelty and so on. There's nothing wrong with that. But the difference between being anti-cruelty and pro-PETA is the same difference as being pro-gun ownership or pro-NRA.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018

Posting a response from THEIR own website...

How about an external website with more information that PETA doesn't disclose? https://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Disgusting that you actually defend an organisation that funded arsonists and terrorists let alone kill over 70% of the animals a year they take in.

Oct 28, 2017
Posting a response from THEIR own website...

How about an external website with more information that PETA doesn't disclose? https://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Disgusting that you actually defend an organisation that funded arsonists and terrorists let alone kill over 70% of the animals a year they take in.
The link you posted is to a site run by the Center for Consumer Freedom who are financed by KFC, Outback Steakhouse and other organizations who profit from the abuse and slaughter of animals at an almost unimaginable scale. Try Snopes for a more reliable source.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is what I was referring to. PETA is really fucking racist and insensitive. Go figure.

Yeah, they've done shit that would have destroyed most any other organization and yet they still try and occupy this moral high ground and worse, we see their defenders everywhere.

Those types of ads should get them labeled as a Hate Group and it's disappointing that such a designation hasn't occurred yet, at least here in the States.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PETA also advances junk science and has, among other things, claimed that autistic kids who eat less dairy show signs of cognitive improvement.

Also, this rivalry with Irwin is nothing new; they openly condemned him and essentially celebrated his death when it first occurred, despite both his widespread celebrity and the fact that he had a family mourning him.

These people are zealots and the comparison to ISIS isn't as far off as one might think given the organization's link to ALF and some of their membership on record advocating violence and war for animal rights.

Again, FUCK PETA.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Um taking Irwin and his likeability out of it - I agree with what was said in those tweets. Animals should be left alone. I did not think that was a hot take lol

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine if people seriously suggested you read ISIS' own response to their most frequent criticism and then accept that as gospel.
This was my thought as well, I laughed then I got angry.

Um taking Irwin and his likeability out of it - I agree with what was said in those tweets. Animals should be left alone. I did not think that was a hot take lol

The problem is that PETA doesn't even believe that, even though they say it. They don't "leave alone" domesticated animals, in fact they murder them by the thousands. They abduct them from childrens yards and "mercy" kill them. PETA is trash, nothing they say at all should be valued or even comprehended.

All that considered, PETA then attacking Irwin of all people ... complete trash organization.

Oct 26, 2017
The link you posted is to a site run by the Center for Consumer Freedom who are financed by KFC, Outback Steakhouse and other organizations who profit from the abuse and slaughter of animals at an almost unimaginable scale. Try Snopes for a more reliable source.

Or try the blogger quoted by Snopes in the above link someone provided.

The blogger who PETA tried to silence in court (PETA lost).

The blogger with a postcard from PETA's founder where she wrote, "We do not advocate 'right to life' for animals."

The blogger with numerous photographs of the dead animals dumped out of the back of one of PETA's mobile euthanasia vans.

http://www.whypetaeuthanizes.org/photos/

Fuck PETA.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guy gave his life for animals this is hilarious and disrespectfull at the same time.

Like he was one of the only rare famous peeps where fame/money didnt flow to his head (as in make someone crazy/narcistic).