• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Probably gonna duck out of this thread now tbh because I don't think this conversation is really going anywhere, but I'd encourage people to read PETA's own response their most frequent criticism: http://features.peta.org/petasaves/ (warning may contain some distressing images of abused animals EDIT: Actually nah it's fine I was thinking of a different page)

tl;dr they're a shelter of last resort, they do lots of other work to save animals, and the meat industry funds a huge propaganda campaign against them

(P.s. despite the highly original and hilarious 'found the peta member' comment above I'm not a member, but reading up on what they do due to this thread has definitely made me consider it)

If you mean the day when animals are no longer treated unethically in our society, me too!

Ducking out of this thread cause you know you're wrong and not wanting to read people calling you out on your shit seems a very peta thing to do.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Whats next, pretending Mr. Rogers was an asshole?
That's Fox News, actually...
1bxvt.jpg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Who said I was trying to be productive? I'm not fighting a fight one way or another - just lazily scrolling Era as I procrastinate. Put a gun to my head though and I still think animals should be left alone. I'm not on Peta's or Irwins side. Just as I said - taking it easy.
Yeah, and I'm just saying, if you take away the context of it being about Irwin, with everything he did and stood for, then what remains is unrelated to this thread.
The backlash and (deserved) outrage at PETAs moronic tweets is not because they think animals should be left alone.
To be more clear, I don't only see ignoring context as unproductive, but actually wrong and insulting towards a good man. It comes across as a defense of PETA's tweets.

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. This is the most accurate description of PETA ever.

Someone earlier compared the head of PETA to the head of Scientology. I liked that.

Both organizations espouse doing things to help, while secretly committing terrible acts.

Both organizations get celebrity support when they really shouldn't.

And both organizations are highly litigious with critics.

Westboro Baptists are a bunch of schmucks nobody listens to. Scientology (and PETA) have followers, money, and at least some modicum of power.

Nov 1, 2017
Just a reminder that the dog that PETA stole from a 9-year old and killed was killed the same day they took it. This is the supposed last resort shelter that some people are defending, despite the local law demanding a 5 day wait period. There is no way any reasonable person can determine that a dog is unadoptable in less than a -ing day. The arguments defending this crap are utter bullshit.

The dog was forcibly taken from it's owner and place of comfort, no shit the dog would be scared senseless.

That's what some here claim is an honest and understandable mistake, stealing a dog and killing it the same day without proper evaluation. Last resort? First and only -ing resort.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, and I'm just saying, if you take away the context of it being about Irwin, with everything he did and stood for, then what remains is unrelated to this thread.
The backlash and (deserved) outrage at PETAs moronic tweets is not because they think animals should be left alone.
To be more clear, I don't only see ignoring context as unproductive, but actually wrong and insulting towards a good man. It comes across as a defense of PETA's tweets.
Ok well, I see a thread saying Controversy. I click it. I'm ignorant of both Irwin and Peta to a very large degree so the only thing left to me is the tweets. I read them, putting aside context because I have none, I agree with the sentiment. I see the rest of the thread is very outraged, which I can't join in on so I can only post about what is in the OP - the tweets. If you want everyone to have all the context and info before posting anything you are going to be disappointed I feel. But no thread derail is meant. You feel strongly about these tweets and organisation and man - I care not. Thought I would just say what I said and go about my day. Which is what I did and am doing :D Hope you have a good one too.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ok well, I see a thread saying Controversy. I click it. I'm ignorant of both Irwin and Peta to a very large degree so the only thing left to me is the tweets. I read them, putting aside context because I have none, I agree with the sentiment. I see the rest of the thread is very outraged, which I can't join in on so I can only post about what is in the OP - the tweets. If you want everyone to have all the context and info before posting anything you are going to be disappointed I feel. But no thread derail is meant. You feel strongly about these tweets and organisation and man - I care not. Thought I would just say what I said and go about my day. Which is what I did and am doing :D Hope you have a good one too.
Typically the correct action when knowingly ignorant of both parties is to not say anything at all.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
Someone earlier compared the head of PETA to the head of Scientology. I liked that.

Both organizations espouse doing things to help, while secretly committing terrible acts.

Both organizations get celebrity support when they really shouldn't.

And both organizations are highly litigious with critics.

Westboro Baptists are a bunch of schmucks nobody listens to. Scientology (and PETA) have followers, money, and at least some modicum of power.
I feel like PETA is on the same public asshole level as WB is. But I see your point of the scientology cult attitude.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
Sweet Jesus is there a more insufferable organization?
Scientology
The alt-right
The current administration of the United States

But fuck peta, Steve Irwin literally made it his job to raise awareness for their own fuckin platform and they go and stab him in the back while he's 6 feet in the ground, that's some fucked shit.