• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He didn't say his experience was the same. He just said it helped him understand others more. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

The fact that he sides with racist cops says otherwise.

Guys, it's one thing that he says these whitebread comments. It's another that poor history of helping black people means he's not really sincere with the,.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The statement is bullshit coming from him. He needs to drop the topic of black people altogether; he's already proven that he doesn't care about us.

He has absolutely NOT used his perspective as a gay man to bridge a gap between himself and the black community, which is why this statement is actually nonsense.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get where he is coming from but at the same point... nah. I can totally understand folks being upset by this.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"While I do not have the experience of ever having been discriminated against because of the color of my skin, I do have the experience of sometimes feeling like a stranger in my own country, turning on the news and seeing my own rights come up for debate, and seeing my rights expanded by a coalition of people like me and people not at all like me," Buttigieg said.
Yeah that's a fair thing to say. Doesn't mean he understands the experience of being black, but he definitely has more personal experience with discrimination and bigotry than, say, Biden.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would mean more coming from a different person. I don't think what he said was offensive, though

Oct 28, 2017
1.) They're not the same. Period. (The historical context alone, the socio-economics, the institutionalised destabilization...)

2.) Him even nearly saying it was/ is a risk. Being that if you read what he actually said he did not literally say it. But he still could illicit a side eye and it would be arguably deserving.

3.) He's still White.

P.S. saying minorities/various ethnicities should used their situation to identify with the plight of another group is a slippery slope. The dynamics don't work quite like that and I'd extend that vice versa. But I understand.

P.S.S. Who was he hoping to reel in and what type response was he anticipating. Super curious ..?
This all just seems like pointless hair-splitting to me.

I'm black and leads me having to deal with some shit. I think it makes me more empathetic and understanding to the issues that other groups deal with. Obviously not in the "I understand the particular details of your issues" kind of way. It's in a way where you understand how hurtful these issues can be. It's obvious.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
this statement is a non issue IMO. the real issue is him faking black endorsements, calling people calling for better working conditions SJWs, and his entire shady history related to south bend. In addition to just being a run of the mill corporate tool of course

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
That doesn't sound bad, he didn't say these things are equal, just that he can relate.

As pointed out, you cant "come out" as black, but at the same time I dont think that "not coming out" is a nice thing, an advantage for gay people.

And he even says the thing about his rights being discussed on TV and as far as I know there is noone advocating against black's rights (openly and clearly, Apartheid style). We know reality is tough, same law doesn't apply equally for whites and blacks in the same way, so yeah, "relatable" is a word that seems to fit for me.

Im white and not gay so I can be totally wrong in my assumptions - in which case educate myself.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
What he said was fine. But those words combined with his record on incarceration and policing makes it sound hollow.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
This sort of shit is what "Cishet white men are the real winners of the Oppression Olympics" is talking about

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This all just seems like pointless hair-splitting to me.

I'm black and leads me having to deal with some shit. I think it makes me more empathetic and understanding to the issues that other groups deal with. Obviously not in the "I understand the particular details of your issues" kind of way. It's in a way where you understand how hurtful these issues can be. It's obvious.

You're arguably right.

Pointless to some meaningful to others....

Guess I was just stating the obvious. In the grand scheme not even a blip really. Just a chance to throw in some thoughts.

Oct 27, 2017
"While I do not have the experience of ever having been discriminated against because of the color of my skin, I do have the experience of sometimes feeling like a stranger in my own country, turning on the news and seeing my own rights come up for debate, and seeing my rights expanded by a coalition of people like me and people not at all like me," Buttigieg said.
Was ready to roll my eyes, but this comment from him is on point.

The vague characterization of his comment by the Washington Post is way harsher than what he actually said. That headline does him zero favors. I know it helps generate "clicks" but its fucked up that the Post would push out a headline like that.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Comment was fine, Buttigieg hate on this forum is ... interesting given the amount of people pushing Clinton on GAF back in 2016.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Pete Buttigieg angering black people. What is this, a day ending in "y"?

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is good. Different discriminated groups don't go through the exact same experiences but they still face discrimination and can try to support each other and be united in their efforts.

I think it is quite poor if you wish this guy didn't reflect on his own experiences and try to build a connection with others.

I think you're dismissing who this person is and silencing their voice by choosing to ignore his sexuality.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
No no no. This is no good. We need a disabled candidate relating themselves to black people. That's more appropriate ... Wtf kinda logic is this? Don't relate sexual orientation to race please.

Oct 26, 2017
I think the statement taken in a vacuum by itself isn't a problem. It's when you put it alongside his past history wrt poc issues that you run into issues.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
It's really great having the extreme intelligence it apparently takes to remember what amazing work he did for race relations in his city. Combine that with this statement and my brain damage helps me see nothing wrong with it.

Oct 28, 2018
Why would people be outraged over a candidate attempting to show some empathy and solitude?

Going after him for other statements or positions is fine, but choose your battles and don't discourage positive behavior.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was a surprisingly articulate statement with some nuance to it. I don't see a problem with it.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Why would people be outraged over a candidate attempting to show some empathy and solitude?

Going after him for other statements or positions is fine, but choose your battles and don't discourage positive behavior.

I think the statement is very good and on point. But I can think that people have issues with his actual action where he, afaik, sided a lot with the police when it comes to black people.

Ergo, might be seen as hypocrite.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to say coming from a place of empathy, but that seems to be a concept people dont understand any more

Plum

May 31, 2018
Honestly a straight man saying that "being forced into the closet for most of your life is not a form of oppression we need to take into account," is much more akin to what the article says Buttigieg is doing than what Buttigieg was actually doing.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
so no one cares about him faking endorsements from black people and using a picture from Kenya???

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a wealthy white guy, but he's running for president. He has no choice but to comment on stuff that you would normally want a white guy to just be quiet about and instead listen to people who know first-hand. His statement seems inoffensive enough in that context.

He's not wealthy.

But agreed, when you're a politician, people are going to want you to comment on stuff that normal people wouldn't.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
His intent was probably fine, but it is probably a stupid way to message it for a guy in his position when it comes to black voters. Shoulda ran that past PR a couple more times.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm no Pete stan, but he's really saying the exact opposite of that.

He's saying that his rights were expanded and protected due to a coalition of help from other groups, and that he wants to be a part of the fight for Black rights the same way that he saw straight people fight for LGBT rights.

I mean, you can call bullshit on that if you want. His history on Black justice certain doesn't do him any favours here. He's been shit on race issues for most of his time as a public servant. But his words are being misrepresented here.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Reminds me of this:
gaynewblack.jpg

I had a problem hearing it then and I have a problem hearing it now

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it boils down to I am part of a group that has been discriminated against therefore I am a position to empathise with their plight, and more relevantly fight for it. I don't think it necessarily follows. And in his case, nothing is proven. Just like most everything else about him.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's white, he doesn't have a fucking clue. Just drop out of the race already