• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The relating of LGBT issues to the plight of African Americans has to stop. I don't think white people understand that the moment you do that you turn black people, for the most part, all the way off. No matter hour smartly you try to frame the relationship it just doesn't fly. You think you are gaining an ally but you are really driving a wedge between us.

The message isn't going to relate the way you think it will and it never has so please just stop.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone that finds his statement to be "fine" is either white af or truly just ignorant. The comparison is completely off-base and the discrimination between black people and the LGBT community are not related.

What the fuck does Pete know about that shit anyways? He constantly praises fighting in a war that affected (or ended) the lives of millions of Middle Eastern citizens, and his constant catch-up attempts to gain ground with black voters just keeps proving why he has so little black support in the first place. He couldn't even handle race relations in his own town, why does anyone think he will suddenly cause a mass pivot for support? The guy has two debates left in him tops, and this entire process has been between Biden, Warren and Sanders basically since day one.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Whataboutism and inflammatory comments surrounding race
Not a good thing to say even if it's meant with good intentions. Everybody thinks their plight is worse than others after all.

I've never understood why gay white people get attacked and singled out by the black community/people in general, but the LGBTQ community doesn't do the same for the straight black community?? (I mean I'm glad we don't, it's gross and messy).

He's saying this as a gay man not a white man, you don't get to throw all of us gay white men in the same field as general 'white' people and then not call out homophobia within the black community (which pretty much hardly ever gets mentioned).

The hypocrisy winds me up and rears its head around here too much ....

Last edited:

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds fine at first glance but it demonstrates to me he doesn't really understand the ills plaguing either the black nor lgbt communities.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a good thing to say even if it's meant with good intentions. Everybody thinks their plight is worse than others after all.

I've never understood why gay white people get attacked and singled out by the black community/people in general, but the LGBTQ community doesn't do the same for the straight black community?? (I mean I'm glad we don't, it's gross and messy).

He's saying this as a gay man not a white man, you don't get to throw all of us gay white men in the same field as general 'white' people and then not call out homophobia within the black community (which pretty much hardly ever gets mentioned).

What are you doing here

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing as everyone else, reading just the article headline and not what Buttigieg actually said.

Not that I think Pete deserves to be heard out or whatever. His record sucks. But no one in this thread actually seems interested in what he said, which absolutely was not "I'm gay so I get black people."
No ,the person I quotedid basically saying black people have no right to criticize a white gay man because we're all essentially homophobic

EDIT: it's just as bad as saying "why do black people criticize the police when an unarmed black person gets murdered by them but never the gun violence in their communities?"

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very different pasts but a similar struggle for global acceptance. I don't see much wrong in his statement and I don't mean this in a way to downplay one's plight or another. One oppressed minority can relate to another, even though their stories are different. At least in a better way than a fully priviledged individual.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of groups face discrimination. Women for instance. Pete trying to say his male, white, ass can empathize with the plight of the type of racial discrimination black people face on the daily just because he's gay is about as misguided as a white woman trying to make the same argument by bringing up the discrimination and inequalities they face. It's not a competition, but really you're playing up the wrong thing if you're trying to convince anyone of your sincerity.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
His campaign has tried to erase the black experience since it began, so pretending like this is some isolated statement is ignoring everything else they've done.

If he's nominated I think he's hoping a black VP and Trump vitriol will drown out the criticism.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
People really get worked up for anything these days.

Somehow Trump can cage kids and still get away with it.

Oct 27, 2017
He's the Gina Rodriguez of politicians.

Keeps throwing black people under the bus, and in this case, says something that wouldn't have been as controversial if it was said by another person, but because it's him he's lost the benefit of the doubt

Merc_

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

You really want to go down this path in this thread, huh? Because there are plenty of stories of racism from the white gay community we could get into if you want.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Guy is empathising. Nought wrong with that. I think it's fine to do that at the same time as understanding that you'll never know what it's like in reality until you live it, which works both ways.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Imagine typing this shit out thinking you made some good point.

Guy is empathising. Nought wrong with that. I think it's fine to do that at the same time as understanding that you'll never know what it's like in reality until you live it, which works both ways.

1) It doesn't work like that. He can't relate to me, a black man, about discrimination because we aren't discriminated the same way anymore than I can relate to Asian women discrimination. A blind person and a deaf person are both handicapped, but their hindrances to daily life aren't the same.

2) Considering how he threw black people under the bus in his town, I don't know how anybody thinks he's being sincere. "My discrimination due to being gay totally makes me relate to racial discrimination. Let me still side with the racist cops because..... LOL"

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more surprised by people in this thread dismissing those that find Pete's phrasing concerning (especially when taken in the context of his actions). I see talk about Pete coming off as empathetic here. Maybe a little self reflection is due.

And another phrase I keep seeing in this thread is "people don't understand nuance/empathy in 2019". When exactly did people understand those things and when did you become the gatekeeper? Because that rote language sure shows a lack of both those things.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
"While I do not have the experience of ever having been discriminated against because of the color of my skin, I do have the experience of sometimes feeling like a stranger in my own country, turning on the news and seeing my own rights come up for debate, and seeing my rights expanded by a coalition of people like me and people not at all like me," Buttigieg said.
So where's the problem? This statement is just fine.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I can see how one group of oppressed people can learn from perspective wise another group of oppressed people. I don't think that diminishes either groups struggles. And this happens already on a regular basis with LGBT, who in theory are different oppressed groups rallying together.

Turning oppression into a competition (I think I saw people refer to this as "Oppression Olympics") is really sad. Everyone is better together.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so no one cares about him faking endorsements from black people and using a picture from Kenya???

What board do you think you're on? Plenty of people have rightly given him shit for that. Stuff like this though, a completely uncontroversial comment? Look at Pete eating crackers like he owns the place

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I'm usually the first to criticize Pete when he deserves it (and that's very frequently) but it's pretty clear what he's saying here - being part of an often maligned minority helps him relate to the struggles of another. It's not a contest of which group is the most opressed.

Plum

May 31, 2018
A lot of groups face discrimination. Women for instance. Pete trying to say his male, white, ass can empathize with the plight of the type of racial discrimination black people face on the daily just because he's gay is about as misguided as a white woman trying to make the same argument by bringing up the discrimination and inequalities they face. It's not a competition, but really you're playing up the wrong thing if you're trying to convince anyone of your sincerity.
It doesn't work like that. He can't relate to me, a black man, about discrimination because we aren't discriminated the same way anymore than I can relate to Asian women discrimination. A blind person and a deaf person are both handicapped, but their hindrances to daily life aren't the same.

I think this argument would work better if the main criticisms in the article didn't actively downplay the suffering and oppression of closeted LGBT+ peoples around the world:

"When you see me, you would know that I'm African American from day one," said Davis, who has endorsed former vice president Joe Biden. "When someone is gay or a lesbian, unless they tell or they are seen in certain situations, then no one is going to know that. They are able to build their résumés and build their career."

You can't have it both ways, and a straight person no matter the colour does not have the right to criticise people adopting their own struggles when they themselves decide to make wide-reaching statements about the struggles of people who are not them. Say what you want about Buttigieg (and, yeah, he does really look like a typical older white politician who cares little for anyone who isn't him) but at least he didn't say argue that black people had it "easier" than him in the way the person criticising him did.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Unless you're black, no matter how much you empathize, no matter how much you can 'relate', no matter how sympathetic you are, you just won't understand the experience. I'm all for listening to people's views and having a discussion but... I guess I'll say this:

One thing that always rubs me the wrong way is how people separate being black and being LGBT+. It might not be intentional, but I've seen it happen in a lot of cases, from white and black people, where its as if that very specific experience is completely unheard of. It's either the 'LGBT+' experience or the 'black' experience. But maybe that's a good thing as the black LGBT+ experience is very, very, and I mean VERY different than the white LGBT+ experience, no matter the parallels or similarities.

With that being said, that is where I take issue with the statement. Good intentions I'm sure, but that's not really the point. I'm always one to say that it shouldn't really be too much of a contest between minorities about who is more 'oppressed', but quite frankly, at some point, the facts are the facts. That doesn't mean one can't fight for multiple causes though and break that entire system.

But being a white gay still offers you a vast amount of privilege that living as a black gay does not. Not only do we have to take shit for simply existing as black people in the country, but also take shit from not only 'a lot' of our community, and the very same community that oppresses us.

Just my two cents.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
As a black person I see literally nothing wrong with what he said.

Of course someone from a discriminated group would have some level of understanding of another discriminated group.

Genuinely there is 0 wrong with what he said.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I find it odd that so many are talking about nuance while ignoring the context of the person who is being discussed.

The reason some people are upset with what was being said, even though the exact quote would be fine coming from someone without the baggage, is because his actions directly go against it.

If there were a black man who said that being black helped him understand the plight of gay people and then you realized that the black man who said it is Kevin Hart you would be annoyed just the same.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
The relating of LGBT issues to the plight of African Americans has to stop. I don't think white people understand that the moment you do that you turn black people, for the most part, all the way off. No matter hour smartly you try to frame the relationship it just doesn't fly. You think you are gaining an ally but you are really driving a wedge between us.

The message isn't going to relate the way you think it will and it never has so please just stop.

Pretty much, people can be cool with it and feel how they like, but personally, I hate that shit. You want to describe your challenges, cool. You don't need to start drawing parallels with black folk in an poor effort to relate because your other strategies aren't working.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
I mean these are his thought on the black community:

Wait what's wrong with his comments here?

They are 100% true.

For me personally as a black man who has been around alot of black people often reactions like this are caused by the often terrible homophobic culture we black people live in.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I find it odd that so many are talking about nuance while ignoring the context of the person who is being discussed.

The reason some people are upset with what was being said, even though the exact quote would be fine coming from someone without the baggage, is because his actions directly go against it.

If there were a black man who said that being black helped him understand the plight of gay people and then you realized that the black man who said it is Kevin Hart you would be annoyed just the same.

The main argument against it is that "gay people can be closeted their oppression is different, and lesser, than ours" and not that his actions show the comment to be hypocritical (which is true, and would be a much better way to call him out). Yes the context is there but from my perspective they criticisms are primarily coming from a straight person doing the exact same thing he's criticising Buttigieg for but in a much more explicit manner.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As a black person I see literally nothing wrong with what he said.

Of course someone from a discriminated group would have some level of understanding of another discriminated group.

Genuinely there is 0 wrong with what he said.

You can hide being gay, you can't hide being black. Thats why some people feel a way about it. and I understand it. There are cross-sections and commentary like this should be coming from a totally intersectional approach rather than an approach based on comparing struggles.

Unless you're black, no matter how much you empathize, no matter how much you can 'relate', no matter how sympathetic you are, you just won't understand the experience. I'm all for listening to people's views and having a discussion but... I guess I'll say this:

One thing that always rubs me the wrong way is how people separate being black and being LGBT+. It might not be intentional, but I've seen it happen in a lot of cases, from white and black people, where its as if that very specific experience is completely unheard of. It's either the 'LGBT+' experience or the 'black' experience. But maybe that's a good thing as the black LGBT+ experience is very, very, and I mean VERY different than the white LGBT+ experience, no matter the parallels or similarities.

With that being said, that is where I take issue with the statement. Good intentions I'm sure, but that's not really the point. I'm always one to say that it shouldn't really be too much of a contest between minorities about who is more 'oppressed', but quite frankly, at some point, the facts are the facts. That doesn't mean one can't fight for multiple causes though and break that entire system.

But being a white gay still offers you a vast amount of privilege that living as a black gay does not. Not only do we have to take shit for simply existing as black people in the country, but also take shit from not only 'a lot' of our community, and the very same community that oppresses us.

Just my two cents.
I feel the same way