• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Seems fans have had enough of EA and Star Wars Battlefront and a petition has been launched on Change.org to get Lucasfilm to revoke EA's Star Wars licence.

After the recent controversy surrounding Star Wars Battlefront 2's loot box system, as well as the closing of Visceral Games and the transition of the studio's Star Wars title from a linear game to a "broader experience," it's safe to say that fans aren't too pleased with EA. Now, following the most recent wave of outrage, a new petition has surfaced online that encourages Lucasfilm to revoke EA's license to the Star Wars franchise.
Source: gamerant

From the Change.org:
EA have had the Star Wars video game license for the last 4 years, and in that time they've proven to their consumers that they honestly don't care about the gameplay experience or content, they'd rather rush out a game that will try and milk as much money out of consumers as possible.

The Petition's goal is 150,000 signatures, currently there is about 76,000 signatures.

UPDATE: Now over 100,000 signatures.

UPDATE 2: Hit the original goal of 150,000 signatures.

Last edited:

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It won't happen but when the time comes to renew I hope Disney doesn't.

Don't give the Star Wars IP to one game company. Go the Marvel Games route and get developers from all of the gaming industry to make something. It'll lead to more variety and not the absolute mess we have with EA.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the contracts are such that they can't just revoke it.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nothing will come of this due to contractual obligations but hopefully it makes Disney/Lucasfilm decide not to renew. EA has done jackshit with it and deserves to lose the exclusivity.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
All this bad publicity is going to work better than those signatures... And if it works, the world will be a better place.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's not how licensing contracts work. Especially large ones such as this.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think that the guy who made the petition know that Lucasfilms had weekly meetings with EA. Lucasfilms knew about all of this, so why would Lucasfilm revoke the license from EA?

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares if it will actually influence anything or not. I'll sign anyway.

edit: I don't think the purpose of the petition is to result in an actual revoke of the license. It's publicity. And people are already talking about it.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
This is hilariously dumb and naive. But logic sometimes tends to fly out the window in favor of pure hatred when it comes to shitting on EA.

BTW didn't Battlefront sell a ton of copies, and SWTOR and the Star Wars mobile game do really well? BF2 may be a black mark and the Visceral project is dead, but that's hardly enough reason to revoke a license.

I would much prefer if Lucas did a Marvel setup with their games though. I wonder if they have the knowledge of the industry or a team with enough experience to adequately invest in games in that manner though, hence the EA contract where much of the legwork is done for them.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that people think Disney/Lucasfilm can unilaterally revoke EA's license?

The contract almost certainly is ironclad for all parties involved. Lucasfilm cannot just decide to take their ball and go home. Rescinding the license could expose them to, at the very least, tens of million dollars in damages. Possibly hundreds of millions, depending on when and how they pull out. They aren't going to eat that shit just because you are angry about Battlefront.

More than that, it'd damage their ability to license out Star Wars to other parties. Why should I pay top dollar to make Star Wars products if Lucasfilm can't be trusted to keep their word?

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The petition is very naive as there is no way that Disney or Lucas Art wasn't aware of the Loot box situation.

Oct 25, 2017
This won't change anything but it isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't be suprised if Disney don't re-up with them when contract renewal comes around. EA have really squandered a licence that many companies would kill for. We got BF1 which sold gangbusters but was a content empty experience, a game which spent years going nowhere and got a studio closed down, BF2 which was a PR clusterfuck. Not exactly great for what should essentially be a slam dunk excuse to print money.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just like other petitions, this one is also stupid. One of the more stupids since there's a contract behind it.

MWorldII

Oct 25, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
EA released two Star Wars games. Both of them provoke some sort of bad reputation for the brand, which is bad for Disney itself: Battlefront 2015 hasn't enough content for it's price while having $50 season pass, and Battlefront 2017 lootboxes scandal. Also "players doesn't enjoy linear games so much, so we canceled Visceral's Star Wars game".

I think there's enough reason to at least re-think the current contact.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
They just shouldn't sell it exclusively so that when someone comes in with a good pitch they can license it to them regardless of others' games.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't some Lucas related thing say they had meetings with EA and DICE always every week?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA released two Star Wars games. Both of them provoke some sort of bad reputation for the brand, which is bad for Disney itself: Battlefront 2015 hasn't enough content for it's price while having $50 season pass, and Battlefront 2017 lootboxes scandal. Also "players doesn't enjoy linear games so much, so we canceled Visceral's Star Wars game".

I think there's enough reason to at least re-think the current contact.

Don't forget the MMO

Oct 28, 2017
To everyone saying it's useless and it's stupid, this brings extremely bad publicity to both parties and that's good for the consumer because hopefully it'll make them do better in the future... And hopefully it'll make sure the contract isn't renewed.

Also I find it extremely difficult to believe Disney wouldn't have an out of the contract if the brand were being damaged (it is). Disney is not innocent in this at all, they knew about and approved this shit I'm sure... But it's a means to an end.

Oct 27, 2017
Disney does not sign contracts it cannot revoke or get out of with their solely owned IPs. Anything is possible.

I remember a few weeks ago, we were told voices on the internet, Reddit/Twitter would not be noticed... and Iger called Wilson real quick.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be weird if this actually worked. But I would be more worried about them using activision, they are even more devious.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In 24 hours this will have 150k votes. In a week this could have as much as half a million votes. Video game and star wars nerds coming together is a scary thing.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You believe it isn't possible to Disney and LucasFilm to unilaterally revoke a contract? even if they are the one who have to pay a fee? It's seems like a no-brainer to cut the contract after those two Battlefront disaster games.

Lucasarts knew about the microtransactions and they gave a interview explaining the things after it so don't expect Disney to revoke a contract.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It all depends how bad the PR for Star Wars brand is from the MOUSE perspective.

Disney has infinite money for any contract penalty/fee but it all depends how much their brands suffer in public eye.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter,
EA is the one thoroughly invested in the game industry and knew the lootboxes were some BS.
It matters in this context. The petition build on the situation that Lucasfilm should revoke the Star Wars license away from EA, like Lucasfilms didnt know about this. Lucasfilms were in on this, so why should this petition make Lucasfilms reconsider the developer?

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I dont think that the guy who made the petition know that Lucasfilms had weekly meetings with EA. Lucasfilms knew about all of this, so why would Lucasfilm revoke the license from EA?

I've seen this before with other controversial SW games like Galaxies and TOR. I suppose because it's the game devs who interact with the public, while the publisher, Lucasarts/Lucasfilm, stay in the background. The fact that EA has a great deal of bad karma for other actions also explains why they are getting the sole blame in this situation.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, sure let's revoke the license. Then everyone who enjoys playing the Battlefronts and SWTOR would no longer be able to play. Serves them right for enjoying a game /s

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this works.

I wish companies would stop giving EA exclusive licenses and would work with multiple publishers on a game by game basis.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
As entertaining as it would be to have star wars taken dishonorably discharged from EA, i really dont see the point. If Lucasarts isn't going to allow any type of creative freedom and needs absolutely every little thing to be approved by them then we will never get a green metacritic star wars game no matter who makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.