• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not EA, who takes the license? Does anyone really think Ubisoft, 2k or Bethesda would handle it better? I'm not sure I do, not when that much money is on the line.
That was my question earlier in the thread. Why would anyone want to make licensed games in 2017? Outside of sports games and shovelware, they're money losers. The only licensed games that exist come from developers owned by the IP holders. WB with DC games, and Sony with Spiderman.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Yes, and I think there will be one for The Last Jedi, but a 10 year deal was signed in 2012 with Lucasfilm mere months before they were bought by Disney. My guess is that anyone negotiating with Disney now would find drastically different terms of agreement. Just take a look at what they are doing to theaters...

Also, I want to make clear, I'm not saying EA has no culpability, it's just I think they are the only ones really receiving hate when the ire should be directed at Disney and probably to some extent DICE as well. Disney most certainly approved the game in its beta form, there is no way they were anything but intimately familiar with how it worked. People can say Disney told EA to back off, and they probably did. But there is no way with a license this big, with this much money tied to it, that Disney didn't have a hand in approving the loot box progress system.

If it's not EA, who takes the license? Does anyone really think Ubisoft, 2k or Bethesda would handle it better? I'm not sure I do, not when that much money is on the line.

At least Ubisoft are able to push out quality single player games.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I generally find this sort of community petition embarrassing. I still signed. I know the devs are dealing with license restrictions and head/tailwinds of industry trends bigger than any one franchise, but I don't care. The last several releases, and almost all the PR around it, have hurt my impression of the license. I'm pre-disposed to some level of distaste for any future EA Star Wars game. The ways the publisher tried to structure the monetization, and the ways they repeatedly tried to pitch it to players, was a bridge too far for me.

Which is a bummer, because it's a franchise that's otherwise so suited to great gameplay scenarios, and EA has proven in the past how good they can be at making great experiences.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably the same people who voted EA worst company in America ahead of ISPs and Monsanto.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I generally find this sort of community petition embarrassing. I still signed. I know the devs are dealing with license restrictions and head/tailwinds of industry trends bigger than any one franchise, but I don't care. The last several releases, and almost all the PR around it, have hurt my impression of the license. I'm pre-disposed to some level of distaste for any future EA Star Wars game. The ways the publisher tried to structure the monetization, and the ways they repeatedly tried to pitch it to players, was a bridge too far for me.

Which is a bummer, because it's a franchise that's otherwise so suited to great gameplay scenarios, and EA has proven in the past how good they can be at making great experiences.
So basically you're self aware enough to see the absolute ridiculousness of petitions like this but signed anyway in order to make yourself feel better about a video game license?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Is this anything like the petition to get the last Jedi remade?

"Re-write all the women out of Little Women, or kiss your cushy 19th-century serial contract goodbye. We, the real™ readers, won't be ignored."

So basically you're self aware enough to see the absolute ridiculousness of petitions like this but signed anyway in order to make yourself feel better about a video game license?

Literally yes. It's a flippant way to get across annoyance. It's rightfully non-binding, but a way to share how I felt about pretty core bits of how the business side has been handled.

If someone had exclusive rights to a popular brand of cars for racing games, and structured their retail model in a way I didn't like, I'd be annoyed. If a company had exclusive rights to Street Fighter merch, and they had bad fulfillment/shipping pricing, I'd be annoyed. It's like that.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't think they will break the contract, but yes would be great if they did.

Battlefront makes money but they could "split" it and give SP games to Sony, since it (probably) worked with Spider.

Apr 21, 2018
I signed, and at the very least, a 200k signed petition is enough to get noticed and embarrass EA.

I really don't like EA. I havn't bought one of their games since Titanfall 2.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't care how little influence a petition has. It's a symbolic gesture so EA knows I hate their terrible management of studios and IP.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I signed, and at the very least, a 200k signed petition is enough to get noticed and embarrass EA.

I really don't like EA. I havn't bought one of their games since Titanfall 2.

They've already been embarrassed by the lootbox fiasco, and since they they've announced more content for Battlefront and a whole new SW game. In comparison to that, an angry internet petition is a drop in the bucket.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
JUFQsla.jpg

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is why I don't invest too much into any franchise, fandom makes people do ridiculous things.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I was a huge SW fan until I realized that one of the requirements was being insufferable about anything related to the franchise. Everything from the "Lucas raped my childhood," to the recent whining about female leads and petitions to remake TLJ, I've realized I'm not mentally unstable enough to be a "true" fan.

Staw Wars was the first movie I ever saw, I've seen the movies literally hundreds of times, and they indelibly shaped my interests and who I am today, but I'll never again lump myself in with the embarassment that is the SW fanbase, even for this. Disney will do what they think is right with the license when it comes time, until then it's not worth getting worked up about it.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Signed. EA doesn't deserve such a great franchise.

This being said, Disney is also to blame because they licensed the franchise exclusively to a single publisher.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes :D

They proved they can make do both 3rd person and first person with immense fidelity.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Oh, I'm sure this petition will accomplish its goal just like all other petitions do.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a symbolic gesture, this is really quite nice. The way EA has managed the license has been absolutely shameful. This won't change anything, of course, but as a thermometer for fan displeasure I'm fully behind this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.