• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He says in the video "I support getting white supremacy off the platform" and yet people continuously parrot the idea that he will not "take a side"

He said multiple times in the past to "Please don't do anything illegal when it comes to the Subscribe to Pewdipie meme" and yet people in the thread act like he"cowardly tiptoes around things his fans do" (lol) Remember when one of his gazillion fans defaced a memorial and Pewdipie immediately called it out and then donated to the memorial?

He calls himself out numerous times in the video for the terrible edgy jokes that he made 6 years ago. He's addressed these NUMEROUS times as him being in the wrong. People still act like he says "its just a joke bro" which he has never said. He's addressed these complaints multiple times admitting he is wrong.

His defense is meaningless when he continually contradicts himself. He's just providing lip service to cover his ass, but he continually does and says shitty things. It's not as if he's only done these things 6 years ago.

All of his anti-semitic and racism started in 2017 - first saying stupid shit like 'Death to All Jews' as a 'joke'. A few days later he released a video where he made people hold up a sign that said 'Death to All Jews'. His defense was 'I feel like I'm partially responsible for this and I didn't think they'd actually do it'. Then when the WSJ found out that ~9 of his videos since 2016 had anti-semitic jokes he deleted three of them and then told people that he creates content for entertainment and not politics -- which is the same stupid shit GamerGate people say about keeping politics out of games.

In September 2017 he streamed at another player in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds calling him a 'Fucking N Word'. In May 2018 he called another female Twitch streamer a Twitch Thot - then when he apologized to her and she didn't accept his apology, he said she's playing the victim narrative and criticized her for wearing revealing clothing and acting provocative. In July 2018 he posted a picture of Demi Lovato's face and made fun of her addiction, which was around the time she was hospitalized for opioid overdose. In December 2018 he recommended people follow E;R, a channel that is anti-semitic and homophobic. Then in March 2019 this dude who attacked the mosque in Christchurch said subscribe to PewDiePie.

He has a history of saying and doing racist shit. I don't care what his 'defense' is - donating money to organizations when you've done wrong is meaningless if you keep being an asshole and enabling people to also be assholes.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
He's made numerous videos on this subject over and over again, which people who don't like him don't even bother to watch because they claim all he will say is "its just a joke bro" which he never does. This has got to be at least the fifth video he's done mentioning hes not a white supremacists because people keeping bringing up 5 years old gaffes that hes admitted were wrong of him.
People who don't like him have a litany of shit to point at, not just five-year-old "gaffes" - there's lots of awfulness, including recently, and you are stretching the English language beyond breaking point to label some of them as "gaffes". Five YouTube videos don't stack up. As I said, it's going to take years before anyone believes that he's acting in anything other than the same awful, shitty way that he always has. He doesn't deserve and will not get a quick redemption.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
People who don't like him have a litany of shit to point at, not just five-year-old "gaffes" - there's lots of awfulness, including recently, and you are stretching the English language beyond breaking point to label some of them as "gaffes". Five YouTube videos don't stack up. As I said, it's going to take years before anyone believes that he's acting in anything other than the same awful, shitty way that he always has. He doesn't deserve and will not get a quick redemption.
After reading more, it looks like I stand corrected.

I'm always inclined to give people the chance to change, but until then I unsubbed.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He calls himself out numerous times in the video for the terrible edgy jokes that he made 6 years ago.
He used the n-word within the last year. On a stream. A white person doesn't use the n-word in anger unless they hold racist views. There is no spinning this.

Claiming his edgy jokes were 6 years ago is completely false.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
you just had the moment I had with JonTron a few years ago

shit hurts even if it's just a dumb youtuber
I found one video of Jontron and thought it was hilarious, then found out more about him and it soured the entire experience. JonTron would have to become a brand new person for me to ever consider subbing, sounds like the same would be needed of pewdipie. Like I said, I'm willing to give people the chance to change, but I'm certainly not going to support or contribute to their profits until that changes.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is another example of hearing what you want to hear. He's making the effort RIGHT NOW. This is prob the 5th video by him addressing his claims and him denying white supremacy. But it doesn't matter because thats not what you want to hear.
i've read your later posts so i don't want to seem like i'm harping on you, i just want to be clear on this.

saying things "i am not racist" or "i denounce white supremacy" mean literally nothing. in america at least it's been impossible for someone to literally call themself a white supremacist in public and have any kind of presence for the last 60 years, which just means that all of the rabid bigots got used to saying that they condemn the ideology while still espousing it, minus most of the actual slurs. steve king for example is probably the most blatantly racist national politician in america and says it all the time. here's a link from january: https://whotv.com/2019/01/26/steve-king-insists-he-is-not-racist-at-iowa-town-hall/

Rep. Steve King on Saturday opened his first town hall since sparking outrage over his latest racially insensitive remarks by insisting he isn't racist.

The Iowa Republican was removed from his committee assignments in the new Congress earlier this month for defending the term "white supremacist," the latest among numerous public statements widely seen as racist or insensitive.

"It's stunning and astonishing to me that four words in a New York Times quote can outweigh 20 some years of public service, 20 some years of giving you my word every day," King said in Primghar, Iowa, at an event where he addressed the partial government shutdown.

He said his experience made him think of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh's contentious confirmation proceedings over allegations of sexual assault, where "at least he had accusers."

"Not one soul has stood up that said, 'Steve King has ever acted in a racist fashion, that he's ever discriminated against anybody,'" he added. "There's plenty of evidence out there to the contrary."

In a now-infamous New York Times interview published earlier this month, King, as part of a defense of what he said was the "culture of America," asked how certain terms had become controversial in the modern discourse.

"White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?" the Iowa Republican told the Times. "Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?"

it's simply not enough to condemn and denounce. there are things pdp could do to try and redeem himself like deconstructing racism/specific racist events in an extended series of videos or doing an interview with an anti-racist advocate and activist but he won't. he'd call that political or something and say that he doesn't want to make his channel about that, while all of the nods and winks at bigotry somehow aren't political and definitely have their place in his oeuvre.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
i've read your later posts so i don't want to seem like i'm harping on you, i just want to be clear on this.

saying things "i am not racist" or "i denounce white supremacy" mean literally nothing. in america at least it's been impossible for someone to literally call themself a white supremacist in public and have any kind of presence for the last 60 years, which just means that all of the rabid bigots got used to saying that they condemn the ideology while still espousing it, minus most of the actual slurs. steve king for example is probably the most blatantly racist national politician in america and says it all the time. here's a link from january: https://whotv.com/2019/01/26/steve-king-insists-he-is-not-racist-at-iowa-town-hall/

it's simply not enough to condemn and denounce. there are things pdp could do to try and redeem himself like deconstructing racism/specific racist events in an extended series of videos or doing an interview with an anti-racist advocate and activist but he won't. he'd call that political or something and say that he doesn't want to make his channel about that, while all of the nods and winks at bigotry somehow aren't political and definitely have their place in his oeuvre.
Nah you're good. I'll keep these thoughts in mind the next time this kind of scenario arises.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Nah you're good. I'll keep these thoughts in mind the next time this kind of scenario arises.

just wanna say too that I'm glad you have the ability to reflect and change your mind--that seems to be in short supply nowadays. like, i see people in the comics industry insist they're not discriminatory and stuff, but the instant anyone pulls up tweets/videos and such proving otherwise (often from within the past few days!) their fans just manage to twist it and ignore it.

it takes maturity and critical thinking to turn around like that. kudos :)

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
kudos on being open minded and willing to change your view. i know it sucks to learn this kind of thing about someone whose work you enjoy, god knows it's happened to me enough times.
just wanna say too that I'm glad you have the ability to reflect and change your mind--that seems to be in short supply nowadays. like, i see people in the comics industry insist they're not discriminatory and stuff, but the instant anyone pulls up tweets/videos and such proving otherwise (often from within the past few days!) their fans just manage to twist it and ignore it.

it takes maturity and critical thinking to turn around like that. kudos :)
Thanks a bunch to both of you. Hopefully some other hardcore fans might see this and feel more inclined to have a change of heart. I'd also say thanks to everyone here who engaged with me who took the time out to change my mind rather than just jump my shit.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
He basically said that it's the end to the "Subscribe to pewdiepie" meme/movement because the thing should have been just for fun and instead it's been associated with a disgusting event like the Christchurch shooting.

He's proud of his community and he stressed again that he's not racist or a supporter of a hate group. He said that he didn't say anything before because he didn't want the shooting discussions to be about him and his channel.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
He basically said that it's the end to the "Subscribe to pewdiepie" meme/movement because the thing should have been just for fun and instead it's been associated with a disgusting event like the Christchurch shooting.

He's proud of his community and he stressed again that he's not racist or a supporter of a hate group. He said that he didn't say anything before because he didn't want the shooting discussions to be about him and his channel.

So basically a load of nothing.

Pathetic.

He should not be allowed to live a single moment where he is not reminded that he contributed to that. His hands are bloody.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017

Eh, that's something. At least when a chat/comments section starts getting racial, you can point to this and say he's against this shit

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Call out the most toxic part of his base, tell them that they are not welcomed as his fans. All this is lip service unless proven otherwise.