• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Here, have a slightly more comprehensive list, put together by yours truly:
unknown.png

Following someone on Twitter is necessarily an endorsement? I follow a lot of people I disagree with...

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Following someone on Twitter is necessarily an endorsement? I follow a lot of people I disagree with...

I mean, on its own perhaps it isn't, but given the fact he's following basically the entire rogues gallery of alt-right and anti-SJW figureheads, and ALSO shares and endorses their content, and ALSO collaborates with them on videos, and ALSO keeps making racist 'jokes'.
When are the hints enough, exactly?

Oct 25, 2017
I brought up how Pewdiepie has been covered in the news the past years about how he continue to radicalize people regarding the terrorism and my friends went full defensive for Pewdiepie, wtf??? This shit absolutely sucks, fuck Pewdiepie and fuck everything

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
My wife watched Laci Green years ago, what happened with her? Was she awful back then?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Without going into the fact that PDP also endorses people like Jordan Peterson, the situation is not absent from context. PDP follows these people AND he also thinks making fun of the genocide of Jews is a clever joke. PDP follows these people AND disregards the arguments of marginalized people and doubles down on his stance that the media is attacking him for no reason. PDP both follows these people AND behaves in the exact ways they both teach to others and act like themselves.

----

My wife watched Laci Green years ago, what happened with her? Was she awful back then?

She basically made a 180 and began preaching Men's Rights Activist rhetoric. Along with trading in the language of and rubbing elbows with alt-right and MRA leaders:

In late May, seemingly out of the blue, Green dramatically shifted her tone on harassment. Where once she supported the abused, she suddenly began questioning why there's "more than two genders" and arguing that "both sides of the argument are valid" for everything from racism to transphobia to misogyny. In a stunning example of her newfound hypocrisy, she called feminist YouTuber and fellow member of her anti-harassment Facebook group Kat Blaque a "sociopath," and earlier this month, she tweeted the following:

In a series of videos, Green revealed that her shift was a result of "red pilling," the term for a twisted Matrix-inspired recruitment process coined by men's rights advocates, pick-up artists, and the "alt right." The process involves a recruiter who attempts to position white supremacists as oppressed truth tellers while spinning phony racial and gender science as "free speech" that's being trampled on by feminists and the political left.

Green, it seems, was red-pilled after appearing in a debate with the prominent anti-feminist Blaire White, a trans woman, alt-right anti-feminist, and generally vile YouTuber who has said that trans women who get beat up or murdered deserve it for "tricking men," fat people should be shamed until they lose weight, and refugees should be gassed (White has deleted the latter tweet since publication, but the archived version can be viewed here). While it appears that Green's appearance on White's channel marked an important milestone in Green's "red pilling," her turn may also be related to a relationship she formed with anti-feminist YouTuber Chris Ray Gun, who made a video last year saying those condemning Trump's "grab them by the pussy" comments were "missing chromosomes," and has claimed that white supremacists are just being funny.
The Establishment

Now, Laci's become a vessel for the alt-right community to shine a light through, and Twitter has been dragging her all week for it. Seemingly in the wake of her beginning to date Twitter user and alt-right brodude Chris Ray Gun, she's provided these people with a space to "have conversations" — and with them come TERFs (trans-exclusionary radical feminists) and other bigots. She dismisses the criticism she's received as simply "SJWs [social justice warriors] being toxic and damaging the conversation." She also paints the alt-right people she speaks and has relationships with as "reasonable," flipping the script and accusing those criticizing her as employing "censorship, dogma, identity as a measure of truth [ie. identity politics], anti science, [and] abuse" to stifle those with their own ideas about gender, race, and faith — essentially everything the alt-right is ACTUALLY doing.

Her argument against "SJWs" is that they employ abusive tactics and use "shame, guilt, [and] very conditional warmth" to get what they want. She claims she felt "ashamed" of Sex+ and centered herself and her emotions as a means of proving anyone who calls out those who deserve calling out is nothing but evil. But also, despite clear evidence to the contrary (ie. dating a man with an ideology that is working to eradicate everything she purports to stand for), she's still a feminist.

Oh. Okay.

Medium

With 1.5 million followers, Laci Green is the most popular feminist on YouTube. Last year, Time dubbed her one of the most influential people on the internet — and she's currently using that influence to entertain the alt-right.

In May, Green posted a video in which she discussed "taking the red pill," in the sense that "men's rights" activists and other alt-right groups have appropriated it to mean waking up to the "reality" that feminism is a destructive cultural force. Green discussed what she viewed as her nebulous status as a "social justice warrior" or SJW — a derogatory term the alt-right has applied to feminists and progressives, which has become common parlance in ideological internet debates. Green took issue with what she claimed is the idea in social justice communities that "bigoted ideas, this harmful speech, should be suppressed," arguing this viewpoint was akin to conservative censorship of feminist ideas, and that a "slur" isn't as violent as "punching someone in the face."

Green has long been viewed as problematic and an embodiment of white feminism by many feminists (Green is biracial — she is half-Iranian — but identifies as white), and her video, along with subsequent videos in which she attempts to dialogue with alt-right YouTubers, provoked vehement reactions among feminists, as well as considerable confusion.

But then she went further: On June 5, she confirmed that she was dating a controversial "anti-SJW" vlogger, Chris Maldonado, a.k.a. Chris Ray Gun.

In a viral Facebook post, popular progressive writer Ranier Maningding minced no words about why Green's behavior poses a serious problem for people of color:

1.5 MILLION subscribers, and she can walk away from ALL OF THAT and still be loved and have her needs met because she's white....​
Laci Green is one of the most known, if not the most known SJW on Youtube. And if she can turn her back on people of color and fuck a white supremacist, how the FUCK do you think people of color should feel about the entirety of white allyship? How can ANY OF US trust white women, let alone whypipo as a collective?​

Former prominent feminist friends of Green's have also distanced themselves from her recent rightward movements, and her former media outlet, Everyday Feminism, has apparently dropped her, in a move which prompted a sardonic response from Green.
Vox

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

She used to be a progressive feminist, but a few years back, she made a complete turn-around and became an extremely vile alt-right supporter (she said herself she "red-pilled"), and also has done some pretty transphobic shit.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
To all the people trying to use Joker, Rick and Morty, Fight Club or even violent video games as a scapegoat for why PewdiePie isn't responsible for the message of his content like me just add this

Those are fictional characters with no real agency or agenda that they push daily.

giphy.webp

Felix is a real person. With agency and free will who has cultivated his fan base FOR YEARS.

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when the 4chan crowd used to properly address PDP as a talentless fucking moron. Bending the knee because there's such a huge opportunity to spread white nationalist shit to children must have been pretty humiliating at first.

kingkaiser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Essen, Germany
Imagine this peepee guy would be the figurehead of Islamic terrorist instead of Christian, he would be put in Guantanamo immediately, without any trial and especially without any outcries on the net about being too harsh and radical on this poor, poor hatemonger.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine this peepee guy would be the figurehead of Islamic terrorist instead of Christian, he would be put in Guantanamo immediately, without any trial and especially without any outcries on the net about being too harsh and radical on this poor, poor hatemonger.

My favourite about this is that when it's a (assumed) muslim terror attack, the right wingers are crying for details on the shooter, and spin conspiracy theories as to why the police hasn't released a list of suspects yet, claiming they're protecting the muslim shooter or whatever.
But now that it's a clear white supremacist terror attack, they react with "Don't say his name, don't show his face, don't share his manifesto" - because that would mean their ideology and hatemongering would get exposed to be what drove this attack.

Mar 11, 2019
For those unaware, the shooter posted on 8chan before the shooting began and cites Candace Owens and PewDiePie in his manifesto as inspirations. He livestreamed the shooting, and right before opening fire he encouraged viewers to subscribe to PewDiePie's channel.

Not to defend pewdiepie but I was surprised to see the above statement in the OP while no other news outlet reported on it as such, so I took the effort to verify it. There is no such statement in the manifesto, pewdiepie is not even mentioned, Candace Owens is, but he did not took inspiration from her but claims she radicalised him. He truly took inspiration from Breivik.

Posted in the Etcetera thread is an interesting opinion piece about the above (although personally I could not care less why these sick individuals did this): https://www.bellingcat.com/news/res...rrorism-and-the-christchurch-mosque-massacre/

Edit: To make clear I am not interested in the motives of these individuals to do this, but I understand the importance of knowing it, and in a broader sense the environment that causes these thoughts to thrive and being a feeding ground for these believes. For example some of the people in power elected by millions using fear against immigration and people of a particular believe could strengthen these extremists in their believes and see it as truth.

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to really like his content when he was on Kindafunny and before on IGN. But it's become clearer and clearer that he either purposely defends people like pewdiepie, Ben Shapiro, Paul Ryan because he agrees with their viewpoints. Or he's a moron who doesn't understand that the shit that they say influences a shit ton of people. I don't remember him always being a shit lord but maybe he was always this way and I never noticed.

Mmm yeah, so Collin is truly a piece of shit. They all pretend we're overreacting while the libertarians, Republicans, alt right, far right, every manner of anti-mulicultural trash fly a Trump banner uniting to defend sick behavior and now even terrorism. Their ALL the problem.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I remember when the 4chan crowd used to properly address PDP as a talentless fucking moron. Bending the knee because there's such a huge opportunity to spread white nationalist shit to children must have been pretty humiliating at first.
More likely the very kids that follow him have simply emigrated to such places, replacing the previous users as they, well, grow up.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
God Alpha Omega Sin. Pre-Gamergate I remember having his videos as part of my feed. The veneer completely broke once Anita and Gamergate in general started up. I started to realize how whiny and entitled he was flailing in anger at every blown nose from Anita. I hate that I ever gave him views.

It fucks me off how many gaming youtubers buddy up with him like he did nothing...guess it doesn't matter to them that he's responsible for harassment being targeted towards women. You even had one of the guys from Limited Run tweeting sympathetically at Zoe Quinn regarding the shit she's received over the years...while still continuing to reply to AOS on friendly terms.

Put me off HappyConsoleGamer too, well that and tweets he liked of political correctness complaints appearing in my feed

Last edited:

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
It fucks me off how many gaming youtubers buddy up with him like he did nothing...guess it doesn't matter to them that he's responsible for harassment being sent to women. You even had one of the guys from Limited Run tweeting sympathetically at Zoe Quinn regarding the shit she's received over the years...while still continuing to reply to AOS on friendly terms.

Put me off HappyConsoleGamer too, well that and tweets he liked of political correctness complaints appearing in my feed

If it's any consolation, Alphaomegasin hasn't posted a video in a year and a half. He used to upoad that shit daily! Hopefully he's done for good. He's still prolific on Twitter, though.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
If it's any consolation, Alphaomegasin hasn't posted a video in a year and a half. Hopefully he's done for good. He's still prolific on Twitter, though.

Aye! Did notice, which is nice. Of course plenty of high profile folks still happy to chat with him on Twitter...

Still, it seems he took down his embarrassing Cuphead video, I guess the jackass who talks big and moans of others being easily slighted got too flustered by Shaun's response :D

Nov 13, 2017
I've ended up having a chat with some of my group of friends on League of Legends about it and I was of the agreement that regardless of whether PewDiePie intentionally believes in these controversial subjects or just using it to pander to his audience, I think what PewDiePie have fostered in his fanbase for the past several years is extremely toxic.

However this is one of those subjects I can't really bring up without breaking friendships. Already the subject of such a thing brought instant disagreements such as "He did it for the memes" and "Parents should be controlling what the kids are watching. He shouldn't be a role model".

It's like should I just shut up about it and be silently compliant for the sake of friendship or do I fight back against it and bring to myself stress and anxiety as I fight back against those ideals?

It constantly feels like that for me in any gaming community I'm a part of.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've ended up having a chat with some of my group of friends on League of Legends about it and I was of the agreement that regardless of whether PewDiePie intentionally believes in these controversial subjects or just using it to pander to his audience, I think what PewDiePie have fostered in his fanbase for the past several years is extremely toxic.

However this is one of those subjects I can't really bring up without breaking friendships. Already the subject of such a thing brought instant disagreements such as "He did it for the memes" and "Parents should be controlling what the kids are watching. He shouldn't be a role model".

It's like should I just shut up about it and be silently compliant for the sake of friendship or do I fight back against it and bring to myself stress and anxiety as I fight back against those ideals?

If they won't listen to reason then it sounds like you need some new friends.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick litmus test for following media personalities: if they ever use "feminism" as a slur (even as a joke unless the joke is that they are idiots for doing so), bail the fuck out.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018

I don't think you have to keep your mouth shut over personal disagreements between you and your friends. You should be able to voice your opinions with one another, and if you disagreeing with them means you might lose them as friends, then I'd wager you were really only friends on a surface level. No reason for you to feel stressed over keeping your opinions or feelings to yourself.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
For me, friendship is blind. Outside of that, I think they are good people, but then again...

If I don't address it or keep quiet, I would be silently complicit and therefore part of the problem.

Well it's easy then. Don't be complicit. Call out bullshit whenever you see it. If that upsets them enough to not be friends with you, then they're probably pretty awful people.

Don't be friends with the alt-right. Don't enable their shit.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So pewdiepie just uploaded a video without any mention of what happened, already laughing, making jokes etc.

The handwaving of issues that happens is really bad, this was a great opportunity for him to denounce this, do everything in his power to expose this evil that is being nurtured in his audience, and personally, if a terrorist namedropped my nickname or something like that, i would never use it again. It would be so traumatic that i don't think i would be able to come back even one year later still using the nickname and joking about it.

So yeah, just ignoring the whole thing is really bad and shows how much he cares

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
So pewdiepie just uploaded a video without any mention of what happened, already laughing, making jokes etc.

The handwaving of issues that happens is really bad, this was a great opportunity for him to denounce this, do everything in his power to expose this evil that is being nurtured in his audience, and personally, if a terrorist namedropped my nickname or something like that, i would never use it again. It would be so traumatic that i don't think i would be able to come back even one year later still using the nickname and joking about it.

So yeah, just ignoring the whole thing is really bad and shows how much he cares
He actively supports the shooter.