• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
People have the need to connect to, to blame, to point fingers at and it's saddening how emotionally charged responses are.
It's apparent people cannot discusses this like grown ups, it's a one way street.

What is the correct discussion and non-emotional response to the death of 40 people with a guy spewing a Nationalist hate speech manifesto and topping it off with a PDP meme just before he opens fire?

Original Game Boy

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 12, 2019
The same point others in the thread have made? Tragedies don't exist in a vacuum.
Answering a question with an alt after you account was banned? Yawn.
What's your role in this? The question wasn't aimed at you.

This is a great tragedy, but blaming someone or something apart from the shooter, is like blaming the whole islam for some sick freak that kills people "in the name of Allah".

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to blame Pewdiepie for this heinous act for the same reason that I didn't blame Democracy Now or Bernie Sanders for the 2017 shooting at a congressional baseball team practice. Correlation doesn't equal causation. There are fucking awful, evil scumbags on this planet. I'm not defending Pewdiepie or his style of "humor." I don't like Pewdiepie or his despicable attempts at humor and find them to be offensive on a fundamental moral level but I'm also willing to wager he's far from the worst media these perpetrators interacted with. The eagerness of people to tie responsibility to him is foolish.
cute to throw around "correlation doesn't equal causation" with one giant fucking false equivalency

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
People have the need to connect to, to blame, to point fingers at and it's saddening how emotionally charged responses are.
It's apparent people cannot discusses this like grown ups, it's a one way street.
Responses are emotionally charged because many people on this board are either Jewish, Muslim or fall into one of the many categories the people (and their allies) who worship him love to hate and belittle and, as we've seen, even kill. It's emotionally charged because there are lives at stake and people are actually fearing for the lives of themselves and people they know. Seeing the umpteenth mass shooting against minorities or the general disenfranchised puts people on edge. There are many people on this board who are in the crosshairs of the very violent bigots who feed off of the rhetoric that people just like PDP put out into the world. This isn't an argument about taxes or fuel or land rights. It's about peoples lives and the lives of those they love.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

You're right, we should forgive the shooter and those who informed his ideology. It was just a heated streamer moment /s

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Fucked up how we want to find people responsible for influencing someone who just murdered 40 people. We are truly children. A smart adult would simply say "that's sad" and turn the other way

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

This is a great tragedy, but blaming someone or something apart from the shooter, is like blaming the whole islam for some sick freak that kills people "in the name of Allah".
I like how we're at the point of conversation where I'm seeing the same arguments that every third Gamergater spouted at me being posted verbatim.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'll never understand streamer culture. I saw a mob of people surrounding that Disrespect guy and he just looked so...pathetic in person. He's also apparently an asshole. The type of guy that would be working a shit job and hated by his coworkers if he hadn't gotten lucky as a streamer.
Agreed. I've never glorified celebrities, but it's especially cringy to me when those celebrities are despicable people and I see people flock to them. All the PewDiePie supporters are shocking to me. It's just a gargantuan following.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
PDP needs to understand the responsibility of fame and so must YouTube, streamers and Google. There must be a new set of rules to not let the idiots like PDP fester their services when they cross the line.

Responsibility.
Google will just make him the official mascot of their upcoming console.

"Stream , and play with your favorite right wing extremists" -Google

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

1. lol no it's not
2. Please read the other posts in this thread (threadmarks too)
3. once you've read them, reflect
4. you're welcome to not post.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
There is something surreal about seeing the terrorists manifesto containing memes and twitch lingo. This is terrifying beyond believe how much influence there is on people.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LMAO spoken like a true person who's never been in our shoes. Yeah, it definitely doesn't come from all the islamphobia perpetuated by the fucked up politicians in this country and the racist fucks giving them power.

Oct 27, 2017
Just getting caught up with this. This is fucked up. RIP to the innocent murdered. This whole thing reeks of "gamer alt-right" bullshit, from his live stream to the manifesto. These are NZ guys going on about the second amendment? Is that right?

The fucking internet was a mistake. This shit is going international now because of forum culture I think that's pretty clear. I remember the shooting in Germany smelled similar a while back. I would like a profile on these guys but I thinks it's safe to assume they are trenchcoat people. It's really fucking sad.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how we're at the point of conversation where I'm seeing the same arguments that every other Gamergater spouted at me being posted verbatim.

It's like living back 4 years ago...god we've been dealing with this shit for 4 and a half years (longer if you remember the protean eras like the Dragon Age 2 writer scandal). God fucking damnit it is tiring..

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You don't just wake up one day and go out and shoot a gruop of people out of nowhere.
There had always been some kind of influence, some kind of propaganda

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not going to blame Pewdiepie for this heinous act for the same reason that I didn't blame Democracy Now or Bernie Sanders for the 2017 shooting at a congressional baseball team practice. Correlation doesn't equal causation. There are fucking awful, evil scumbags on this planet. I'm not defending Pewdiepie or his style of "humor." I don't like Pewdiepie or his despicable attempts at humor and find them to be offensive on a fundamental moral level but I'm also willing to wager he's far from the worst media these perpetrators interacted with. The eagerness of people to tie responsibility to him is foolish.

Dude... it's not too hard to understand. No one is saying pdp should be blamed FOR THE ACTUAL ACT. People are saying he should take responsibility for unabashedly promoting the hateful rethoric that culminates in this acts.

People have been pointing out his dog whistles could lead to incentivize violence for a long time. Here we are. YouTube needs to act now. Basta.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

No, that would be like blaming everyone who posts on youtube for this. You're thinking of Wahhabism and similar extremist ideologies.

I hope you enjoyed the day you got to spend on this site

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine being PDP right now. Imagine being a greedy piece of shit leech who's claim to fame is profiting and building an empire off the back of other people's work. Imagine you become so successful that you feel like you can say and do whatever you want. And then you wake up to the horrific realisation that the people you encourage and endorse are the kind of people capable of mass murder. He may not be responsible, but he is complicit and if he has even the slightest shred of human decency this should haunt him to his grave. If i was PDP right now (which is so alien a concept as to be laughable but hey) i would scrub my accounts of every last bit of shitty "content" and disappear forever. We can but dream.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Let that be an actual lesson he understands. Your voice has a huge influence when you have millions of followers. He's been denying that responsibility for too long.
To everyone defending PewDiePie , I completely understand that you're all in agreement that he did not pull the trigger. I understand he should not be charged for murder. I agree with you all on this. But as I can see the way you're viewing this subject, you all need to look at it from the other view point. You need to realize that a portion of PewDiePies fan base are white supremacists. People that latched on as followers of his and look up to him as a celebrity, laugh at his jokes, push his subscription numbers and carry about their agendas because PewDiePie does NOTHING to stop them. He, as a person with a large following, has the responsibility to set an example for all the young impressionable minds that look up to him. He needs to know what's not a joke, what not to say, and what not to do , as not to obtain a white nationalist fan base. It's his responsibility to denounce them, and quite frankly to grow the fuck up and stop acting like a child. Stop catering towards these heinous people. Stop making "jokes" that appeal to those types of fans. He needs to do better and he should be de-platformed if he doesn't change, simply because he's causing more harm than good.

Mmhm mhm.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
The responses to that tweet are fucking insane. "It's not your fault PDP!" and "I'm sorry these bad things keep happening to you, such bad luck!" It's like some cult shit.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do most ignorant post has a "but..." before they show their dumb ass side

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The responses to that tweet are fucking insane. "It's not your fault PDP!" and "I'm sorry these bad things keep happening to you, such bad luck!" It's like some cult shit.
It's like PDP is fucking Donald Duck with his bad luck. Strange that it's some racist bad luck that keeps happening tho.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Same kinda shit people pulled when Leaving Neverland came out. These people worship the ground their celebrity walks on. It's fucking creepy.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Why do most ignorant post has a "but..." before they show their dumb ass side
"I don't like PDP but... people do shit randomly and for no reason and what about muslims? PDP didn't invent mass shootings!" /s

I'm being sarcastic but the people that actually say this aren't and you should feel stupid as fuck if you nod your head wanting to say something similar.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Man, it makes me wish for the time when PDP was just some really popular screaming schmuck instead of this "Secret" Alt-right Propaganda tool he has become.

It pains me that this dipshit has so much influence over so many children.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles

Great idea there champ. Why think about how we could prevent this acts and what causes them at all? Right?

Let's not point away the people inciting this hate.

And yeah, if there is an instance where emotion is warranted it's 40 people getting shot. Go away.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Imagine being PDP right now. Imagine being a greedy piece of shit leech who's claim to fame is profiting and building an empire off the back of other people's work. Imagine you become so successful that you feel like you can say and do whatever you want. And then you wake up to the horrific realisation that the people you encourage and endorse are the kind of people capable of mass murder. He may not be responsible, but he is complicit and if he has even the slightest shred of human decency this should haunt him to his grave. If i was PDP right now (which is so alien a concept as to be laughable but hey) i would scrub my accounts of every last bit of shitty "content" and disappear forever. We can but dream.
You're imagining he has a conscience. I doubt it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I blame PDP for his contribution here for the same reasons Jim Jones is responsible for what happened at Jonestown, even though his followers "chose" to do what they did.

There's directed, intentional influence along the exact lines of the resulting action, right down to being flippant about mass ethnic killings; PDP is a figure who relishes in his influence over these audiences, and the cult-like following is obvious in any setting where people are critical of him.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I feel kind of sick to my stomach and just done with the gaming community in general. From gamergate all the way up to this, this is the kind of shit we placate and indirectly support. Fuck that.