• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
"This person." Dude has an audience of almost 90 million people. Call the shit out for what it is. Give a name to it and be specific. Anything short of calling out the neo nazis white supremacist audience he has cultivated is too little at this point.

Thoughts and prays aren't worth anything when he's just going to make another video telling his followers to be mad at brown people the next day.His T-Series dog whistle subscribe campaign is sickening.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey umm, am I the only one who thinks newmoneytrash was banned by mistake?

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sickened isn't enough dickhead. How about you denounce people who would do this in your name, take a strong stance against anyone who harbours even the tiniest bit of prejudice and ask your fans to do the same.

That shitty reply makes me burn with rage.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be a deplatforming campaign against pewdie at this point. There's blood on Google's hands.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, do people not know what "Influencer" means? Like, do they think that term just exists in a vacuum?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I blame PDP for his contribution here for the same reasons Jim Jones is responsible for what happened at Jonestown, even though his followers "chose" to do what they did.

There's directed, intentional influence along the exact lines of the resulting action, right down to being flippant about mass ethnic killings; PDP is a figure who relishes in his influence over these audiences, and the cult-like following is obvious in any setting where people are critical of him.
This. And the people who want to say "why blame PDP tho" it's not just about PDP. This topic is about PDP but it could as much be about Sargon of Akkad or Baked Alaska or Alex Jones or Milo Y front or Donald Trump or Fox News or Tucker Carlson, etc. PDP is part of a wide reaching problem. He is one of the many thousands of people who put the nonsense slop into the gigantic trough that bigots from all over the world feed form. Some of those bigots spread the word, share it and the worst they do is give minorities dirty looks because of that rhetoric. And other eat the same fill and get it in their mind to use violence to rid the world of those Muslims or those Jews or those Blacks or those Women who are ruining our culture or whatever other nonsense. If you believe otherwise you might as well believe that shooters like this are simply birthed from the ground with gun in hand and with their ideals already set. They don't come from just nowhere and they don't just believe what they believe just because. They are fed shit and it festers and grows. When people like PDP or Milo or Trump etc. choose not to say squat in response, they perpetuate the growth and sustain it.

How is this Pewdiepies fault?
Read above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sinder

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm not as articulate as others in this thread, but I'll try and describe why normalization is dangerous relating to my own experience.

I grew up an only child with conservative parents who fought all the time. I'm 30 now, so this was in the early 00's. To try and ignore their shit, I turned to video games from a young age and just escaped that way. I was socially awkward and couldn't meet anyone at school who was into the same stuff, so eventually I found Penny Arcade because it seemed like a fun comic and eventually learned they had something called a "forum". I didn't know what that meant or what it was, but I clicked around on my own and discovered its a community to talk to other people about games. Perfect!

I basically lucked out that the community there happened to be liberal minded and not the lunatics I'd have found on 4chan. At that age I was highly impressionable and this community ended up being a factor in how I became a liberal, even though my parents are conservative. If I'd have latched onto 4chan instead? I'd probably be a completely different person today.

Trace back to how I found that site in the first place - because it was talked about and mentioned on the most mainstream of all sites relating to games like Gamespot, or talked about in my classes because people liked their comics. Now think about how popular PewDiePie is.

Even more dangerous IMO is what THQ Nordic did. They put 8chan into the headlines of the same major gaming outlets I would have been visiting when I was 10 or 11. Think about Notch, the creator of Minecraft. Imagine a young kid who loves Minecraft and goes snooping around on google to learn who made this wonderful game they play every day, and then finds the shit he posts on his Twitter TL.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You can't pretend you're apolitical and above it all when your brand is invoked in a terrorist massacre. Condolences aren't sufficient. He has a duty as a decent human being to fight the cancer of xenophobia, racism and hate he's let take root in his community. It's not too late to reverse course.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Sickened isn't enough dickhead. How about you denounce people who would do this in your name, take a strong stance against anyone who harbours even the tiniest bit of prejudice and ask your fans to do the same.

That shitty reply makes me burn with rage.

nah. that shit doesn't matter. "denouncing" and "taking a stance against" are the influencer version of "thoughts and prayers".

what he needs to do is realize that he has fucking responsibility and unfuck the content that he's putting out. no nazi jokes, no streams with ben shapiro, no discussions about how the wage gap is a myth. I'm not saying he needs to become noted leftist youtube superstar Hbomb Erguy, but like... he needs to get the alt-right horseshit out of his content or he needs to accept that his garbage leads to shit like this.

Oct 27, 2017
If he actually gave a shit he would use his platform to genuinely try and enact a much more positive and accepting message, rather than being an edgy prick and throwing in kernels of far-right rhetoric. Although I'm sure he won't.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not as articulate as others in this thread, but I'll try and describe why normalization is dangerous relating to my own experience.

I grew up an only child with conservative parents who fought all the time. I'm 30 now, so this was in the early 00's. To try and ignore their shit, I turned to video games from a young age and just escaped that way. I was socially awkward and couldn't meet anyone at school who was into the same stuff, so eventually I found Penny Arcade because it seemed like a fun comic and eventually learned they had something called a "forum". I didn't know what that meant or what it was, but I clicked around on my own and discovered its a community to talk to other people about games. Perfect!

I basically lucked out that the community there happened to be liberal minded and not the lunatics I'd have found on 4chan. At that age I was highly impressionable and this community ended up being a factor in how I became a liberal, even though my parents are conservative. If I'd have latched onto 4chan instead? I'd probably be a completely different person today.

Trace back to how I found that site in the first place - because it was talked about and mentioned on the most mainstream of all sites relating to games like Gamespot, or talked about in my classes because people liked their comics. Now think about how popular PewDiePie is.

Even more dangerous IMO is what THQ Nordic did. They put 8chan into the headlines of the same major gaming outlets I would have been visiting when I was 10 or 11. Think about Notch, the creator of Minecraft. Imagine a young kid who loves Minecraft and goes snooping around on google to learn who made this wonderful game they play every day, and then finds the shit he posts on his Twitter TL.
Yeah the 8chan AMA really was particularly egregious. The 8chan expose by Dan Olson should be required reading not just for everyone but particularly for people who trade in nerd culture like ourselves who are more likely to visit such a site. The scarier thing is that there are many people who probably have read it and still don't care.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sarcasm is always dangerous when its nestled between a lot of posts that are made in earnest

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech.
Hope Pewds takes the time to talk about it in his next video. Must be terrible for him as well

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This. And the people who want to say "why blame PDP tho" it's not just about PDP. This topic is about PDP but it could as much be about Sargon of Akkad or Baked Alaska or Alex Jones or Milo Y front or Donald Trump or Fox News or Tucker Carlson, etc. PDP is part of a wide reaching problem. He is one of the many thousands of people who put the nonsense slop into the gigantic trough that bigots from all over the world feed form. Some of those bigots spread the word, share it and the worst they do is give minorities dirty looks because of that rhetoric. And other eat the same fill and get it in their mind to use violence to rid the world of those Muslims or those Jews or those Blacks or those Women who are ruining our culture or whatever other nonsense. If you believe otherwise you might as well believe that shooters like this are simply birthed from the ground with gun in hand and with their ideals already set. They don't come from just no where and they don't just believe what they believe just because. They are fed shit and it festers and grows. When people like PDP or Milo or Trump etc. choose not to say squat in response, they perpetuate the growth and sustain it.

Read above.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Great point...I was googling stuff like Nomura when I was a kid. It's not unimaginable that some Minecraft fans are being taken down a dark road if they start googling..

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love all the alt accounts that are coming out of the woods.
Post in your main account fucking cowards !
PDP is responsible for this, since the beggining the majority of his audience was internet shit lords and now they are becoming terrorist with the help of him, 4chan, 8chan and the various alrt right media.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread shows that we still have such a long way to go. So many obvious assholes making excuses for hate and racism. It's just so depressing. But here's to all in this thread who stood up against the tide of hate and ignorance and complacency. Keep up the fight.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Era cleaning itself from all the long disguised, alt-right tools who can't hold back their true selves. Good.

Also, when is Google going to obliterate this fucking asshole's channel from existence? Ah sorry, let me guess... "Freedom of speech" right?