• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I'm not touching this until Pewdiepie gives a proper video response.
But I feel that it's going to be disappointing.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
No, I said that impeaching Trump (i.e. making him go away) isn't something any civilian can accomplish. However, you can limit his influence by not drawing attention to his social media posts. He's basically a troll and every time you react to his tweets, he wins. If you get angry, his followers get happy. If his followers get happy, his influence grows.
Remember that time he "trolled" California on twitter by threatening to cut federal aid for areas affected by wildfires? That is exactly the kind of shit we need to call attention too. Because if we don't, it becomes normalized.

We cannot afford to ignore him. Simple as that.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I hate that now video games are even being mention during this whole disgusting act of violence. Argh...

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech.
Taking this shooting your air out your shit against pewdiepie than focus on the tragedy is just a big low.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
All the youtubers coming out in support of pewdiepie, when he supposedly did nothing wrong. Adding them all to my block list. They're not even pretending at this point.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Taking this shooting your air out your shit against pewdiepie than focus on the tragedy is just a big low.
Hmm...

But that's the thing, it's not merely just "air out your shit", he's been a problem and the shooter labelled him as an inspiration.

I'd recommend you look at this.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of fucking shitty people in here. Gaming side continues to be a joke when it comes to these kind of things.

pewdiepie has a lot of alt-right rhetoric on his channel. Why do some here downplay his effects on young people? Will you only acknowledge it when it personally happens to you?

I am NOT downplaying his bad effects - see my previous post. Is it so fucking weird I would like the first post of such serious topic to be CORRECT? So some alt-right fuckers wouldn't accuse this place of lying or something? To be more clear? I don't believe that if something refers to a shitty person it shouldn't be correct.

I'm a bisexual leftist. I hate Trump and everything he stands for. I despise my current right-wing, anti-immigration government. I despise nationalism. I agree that Pewdiepie should go away if his content won't change dramatically. I agree he has too much of an influence (bad influence of course) on young people. Is it enough or am I still "defending nazis" by just wanting small correction in OT?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I mean... this might be slightly off-topic but lately I visit 4chan quite a lot because of apparant leaks coming from there and after visiting that place for a while I somehow ended up spiraling down in that same behaviour and it kinda made me not enjoy reading anything there, yet I come back for more.

That is to say as long as you are between a group of certain unruly people that like to hate/vent/be edgy "for fun" even while I myself do not feel like participating I automatically drift that direction regardless because I'm surrounded by it.

Which kinda worries me, because it kinda shows how easy it is to spiral out of control without intentionally doing so and ending up joining the ideology of the unruly, resentful side.

coming here on Era I sometimes think that this place is able to breed haters as well by the harsh way they condemn certain things against commenters that don't necessarily have bad intentions and by not tolerating these people that do not yet see things the right way you scare them off to the opposite way... maybe because they want to understand but now they feel left out and end up joining the other side where they can say ResetEra is just as bad a place as any other.

That might actually be part of the bigger problem as well in my opinion. By being so passionaly heated by justice people tend to forget that the strong should protect the weak, not scare them off and hate them for not yet understanding.

I hope I was able to explain my intention well, I'm not a native english speaker but my message has nothing else in it but willingness to learn, please remember that when I might have said something possibly stupid, I gave this post a lot of thought.

Here's the thing: No matter what bullshit is traded between posters on this board in particular, it isn't a call to action. People who insult each other aren't calling for violence. We don't know each other. Were behind a screen. It's worlds different form actual targeting at being black or being gay or being a woman or being transgender. Someone dogpiling a commenter has no bearing on that commenters safety or life. It has zero actual teeth. Unlike the shit on 4chan and 8chan and Stormfront where they target people in real life. They use real life examples of people who should be hated and feared and attacked like Obama or Brie Larson or David Hogg or the people who look like and/or believe the progressive progressive ideals men and women like that subscribe to. ResetERA is not "as bad" as other places. I have no interest in killing or attacking any one in this topic who has disagreed with me or supported PDP or anything else which is world apart from forums where the focus is entirely on pointing out the enemies in day to day real life. If people are "scared off" because others are being harsh then that's literally the worst that can happen to them. On the other end is actual people who have to fear for their actual lives because of the rhetoric spread in places like PDP's YT comments. People are harsh because this isn't simply a debate about fixing pot holes or cleaning up the neighborhood park. I'm black and queer and I've tempered myself in these conversations for my own sake. In reality I'm angry and scared and ashamed because in real life I am a target for people just like these shooters. That intensity is not something that someone who gets dogpiled on a forum actually shares in. I can't just log off from life or block out the Nazis or KKK members who live in my state or city or apartment complex. People who are scared off need to consider if they're actually afraid of a physical danger or just don't like it when someone is snippy to them on a gaming message board. I can't really spare any sympathy from people who run in the face of others being passionate & emotional in the wake of events with actual flesh and blood casualties. The pointed end of the hatred that spread on 4chan or NeoGaf is directed at people like me in a very visceral and tangible way. We're angry and rough and snippy and intolerant because there are actual consequences for the things people say in regards to real life people and not just posters with nerdy avatars. We condemn things harshly because they are things worth being harsh about.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
User Banned (1 Month): Downplaying hate speech and account still in junior phase.
Yes, don't judge him in his past actions and all the hate speech he promoted, judge him based on his apology and response to this act.

Idiot..
Please do not insult me. I do not know you.
If I went based on his past actions, I would be defending him. But that would be idiotic, as I do not know him personally, nor does he know me, and most importantly he has not defended himself yet on this. Everyone here likes to presume what he will respond before he actually does, and get angry at it, and he always responds something different.
For example, people defaced a WWII memorial with "subscribe to Pewdiepie" the other day. He gave a video response, where, surprise surprise, he did not say "lol this is just a meme" or "antisemitism is bad, wink wink" like ERA said he would.
Likewise, ERA is now angry that he does not take responsibility for this, or at least acknowledge that he has a fanbase among the alt-right and distance himself from them with a strong and serious condemnation. But he has not given a video response yet.
We said what we had to say, now I wait for his response (which, again, I feel will be disappointing - likely something along the lines of condemning what happened, but saying that his fans are not like this at all and he did absolutely nothing to foster this mentality).

edit: Also, I have already expressed my thoughts surrounding Pewdiepie in the other thread. I can link to it if you really want to hear what I think, but again I think that it is all words in the air until he actually gives a response defending or condemning himself.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck him. And fuck everyone who has continued to support him. This is not even close to the first time he's been involved with some sort of hatred and racism.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I can't find any mention of Pewdiepie in his manifesto, can anyone point me to it?

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm struggling to understand why so many are coming to the defence of the guy? He is just a YouTube ffs.

He didn't commit the crime but surely people can see he does nothing to stop that part of his crowd? I wish one of those that came into this thread saying "its not his fault" like how can you have empathy for him and not care about what happened?

The fact is the shooter used his meme in an act of extreme hate. That's fact. That happened. He was making a sign to others.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Simply stating your are sickened just isnt cutting it. Its time to take a good damn hard look at yourself and why you are the one mentioned. But he isn never going to do that.

Its very telling that he is the one brought up and not Jackseptiqeye, Angry Joe or any other big YOutuber. Its Pewdiepie for a reason and we all know that reason.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
It's during the killing video. He tells the viewers to "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" before commencing his terrorist rampage.
OP said it's also in the manifesto. He said "subscribe to pewdiepie" in the car and not in a serious manner. I think linking pewdiepie to the crime is rather far-fetched going solely off the killer's behaviour.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the youtubers coming out in support of pewdiepie, when he supposedly did nothing wrong. Adding them all to my block list. They're not even pretending at this point.

Is there a list yet of people who have? I'd like to block them too.

In addition to those in this thread, because I'm not here for fuckwits in this situation.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

It's not just about him. He is sharing the blame of an entire network and culture of people who spread bigoted rhetoric. He cannot separate himself from this. Not just him but Trump and Ben Shapiro and David Duke and Sargon of Akkad and Baked Alaska and Fox News share the same blame whether they want to or not. If he doesn't want the association, he could have renounced white supremacy long ago. He could have become a person who actually felt sorry for saying the N-word or banding about Nazi ideals. He doesn't get a pass. These bigoted killers come from the pool that he and so many other people openly contribute to. If you want to say that acknowledging that is disgusting you're allowed to. But just don't post and insult peoples intelligence by acting like our desire for him to just be a decent human being is tantamount to the shit that spills from the mouths of the KKK or the Proud Boys or Brietbart. I don't "hate" PDP. I don't like him but I definitely don't despise him. All I want is for him to actually show empathy and to actually act like he's genuinely interested in progress but he chooses not to. If you think that's "hate mongering" or that desire is "no different from white supremacy", you're daffy.

This. And the people who want to say "why blame PDP tho" it's not just about PDP. This topic is about PDP but it could as much be about Sargon of Akkad or Baked Alaska or Alex Jones or Milo Y front or Donald Trump or Fox News or Tucker Carlson, etc. PDP is part of a wide reaching problem. He is one of the many thousands of people who put the nonsense slop into the gigantic trough that bigots from all over the world feed form. Some of those bigots spread the word, share it and the worst they do is give minorities dirty looks because of that rhetoric. And other eat the same fill and get it in their mind to use violence to rid the world of those Muslims or those Jews or those Blacks or those Women who are ruining our culture or whatever other nonsense. If you believe otherwise you might as well believe that shooters like this are simply birthed from the ground with gun in hand and with their ideals already set. They don't come from just nowhere and they don't just believe what they believe just because. They are fed shit and it festers and grows. When people like PDP or Milo or Trump etc. choose not to say squat in response, they perpetuate the growth and sustain it.

Read above.
People keep saying focus on the tragedy. The tragedy is being focused on. The people responsible are being hunted for being criminals. They are going to earn their just deserts. What we're focused on is stopping the very rhetoric that feeds into producing killers like the ones form Christchurch. And in regards to gaming, despite wanting to distance himself form it, PDP and many many many others in and outside of YT are the source of the vileness that reinforces the mentality that these mass murderers justify themselves by. People would have no "shit" against PDP if he didn't consistently play into the very song that violent bigots want to here.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn, words have consequences?! Screw PDP, and hope the perpetrators get what they deserve for this heinous act.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP said it's also in the manifesto. He said "subscribe to pewdiepie" in the car and not in a serious manner. I think linking pewdiepie to the crime is rather far-fetched going solely off the killer's behaviour.
Yes surely the terrorist was out to defame pewdiepie. PDP is the real victim here. Poor PDP.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I don't know much about Pewdiepie. Whilst I dislike the 'no smoke without fire' logic, as it's often used to find sin where there isn't much (in gossip, for instance), it does seem odd that numerous hateful things happen that directly link themselves to him (via the perpetators themselves). It's not necessarily a case of 'PDP explicitly said X', or even thinks X... it feels more subtle than that, but the evidence is there, in horrible colour.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia

He mentions him by name instanst before starting the massacre and that's not even enough for you? Are you waiting for his apology video too?

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's during the killing video. He tells the viewers to "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" before commencing his terrorist rampage.
okay - sure: PewDiePie is an idiot. oblivious at best - full alt-right racist at worst. but linking him to that shooting because of a meme (which it is at this point)? I dunno - thats one step more as I am willing to take. If he would be mentioned in the manifesto or something - another story. I don't have all the details but this seems like "the killer played games like WoW and Counter-Strike" all over again.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Now, a good person would make video saying sorry, shit has gone too far, he wasn't trying to convey these messages, for some reason he gained popularity among these extremists (it's clearly not an isolated case), and then he would announce no more contents for a while in sign of respect for NZ.

Instead i'm pretty sure Pewdiepie will ignore all this, if journalists starts to attack him, he will say "not my fault, just a joke bro,..." in between a meme review video without any real apology and that's fucked up.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about Pewdiepie. Whilst I dislike the 'no smoke without fire' logic, as it's often used to find sin where there isn't much (in gossip, for instance), it does seem odd that numerous hateful things happen that directly link themselves to him (via the perpetators themselves). It's not necessarily a case of 'PDP explicitly said X', or even thinks X... it feels more subtle than that, but the evidence is there, in horrible colour.
Not nazi but #1 with nazis
But influencers don't have influence tho. Don't you dare call him out.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech
Unless Pew Die Pie told people go out and kill people he is in no way responsible. Bernie Sanders was not responsible for the gunman who went and shot up congress people at that softball game either. Killers are responsible for killings. If a figure is inciting people to violence that is a different story.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I supposed to take this reply seriously?
Words and actions have consequences, especially when you have 90M subscribers on youtube. The fact that the shooter thought of PDP before going on his rampage should tip you off that something is wrong.
Unless Pew Die Pie told people go out and kill people he is in no way responsible. Bernie Sanders was not responsible for the gunman who went and shot up congress people at that softball game either. Killers are responsible for killings. If a figure is inciting people to violence that is a different story.
Guns don't kill people too I hear

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Oh for fucks sake.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

How many account have gotten bans this thread ?

Do they never learn ?

PWP is responsible.
He encouraged it, he endorsed it, and then he "appologises", just to repeat the cycle again later.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Literallllly fuck off.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck off.