• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I don't know much about Pewdiepie. Whilst I dislike the 'no smoke without fire' logic, as it's often used to find sin where there isn't much (in gossip, for instance), it does seem odd that numerous hateful things happen that directly link themselves to him (via the perpetators themselves). It's not necessarily a case of 'PDP explicitly said X', or even thinks X... it feels more subtle than that, but the evidence is there, in horrible colour.

That's the insidiousness of it and the true purpose. People like him don't throw you into the deep end - he's just a toe dip in the pool. He's the start, the gateway to the bullshit. He shows you where the rabbit hole starts.

It makes him one of the most dangerous parts of the entire machine. He needs to go.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Lmao at people justifying that PDP didn't do anything or was wrongly accused because he's not mentioned directly in the manifesto and when the shooter said subscribe to him, he was just "joking".

I am done with this trash of a thread.

Oct 29, 2017
How can he even live with himself for having his name attached to mass murder!?

Regardless of whether or not he helped to radicalise this man (which he absolutely did), how can he even live with himself for literally being immortalised in a mass shooting video!?

I couldn't even cope with the thought; and here he is defending himself and his actions in the eyes of millions of children...

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Unless Pew Die Pie told people go out and kill people he is in no way responsible. Bernie Sanders was not responsible for the gunman who went and shot up congress people at that softball game either. Killers are responsible for killings. If a figure is inciting people to violence that is a different story.

I know your about to get banned but can you at least explain why you feel the need to defend him like this? Are you being misinformed on purpose?

How is saying subscribe to PDP and then shooting people not something that makes you question why him? Why that meme?

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
okay - sure: PewDiePie is an idiot. oblivious at best - full alt-right racist at worst. but linking him to that shooting because of a meme (which it is at this point)? I dunno - thats one step more as I am willing to take. If he would be mentioned in the manifesto or something - another story. I don't have all the details but this seems like "the killer played games like WoW and Counter-Strike" all over again.
When you are popular to the level Pewdiepie is and promote various problematic things with no real apology and make it seem like nothing more than a humorous joke, this normalizes it to an audience which in turn breeds hate. The shooter calls him out right before his terrorist act, specifically him. That really should say it all especially with the things Pewdiepie has been saying and doing lately.

Pewdiepie isn't the shooter we all know this. But right now he is extremely irresponsible with his platform and is encouraging these types of people. He himself is most likely racist going by what he says.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
How can he even live with himself for having his name attached to mass murder!?

Regardless of whether or not he helped to radicalise this man (which he absolutely did), how can he even live with himself for literally being immortalised in a mass shooting video!?

I couldn't even cope with the thought; and here he is defending himself in the eyes of millions of children.
Because he doesn't care, and the only thing he's bothered by is that the quiet thing was done out loud.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Unless Pew Die Pie told people go out and kill people he is in no way responsible. Bernie Sanders was not responsible for the gunman who went and shot up congress people at that softball game either. Killers are responsible for killings. If a figure is inciting people to violence that is a different story.

He's responsible for spreading hate with his jokes "death to all jews", what happened in NZ is a clear evidence of what kind of people he's attracting with that behaviour.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

WTF do you think Death to All Jews is?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
OP said it's also in the manifesto. He said "subscribe to pewdiepie" in the car and not in a serious manner. I think linking pewdiepie to the crime is rather far-fetched going solely off the killer's behaviour.
Wut....the killer didn't say "please donate to cancer foundation" here, it was "give money to PDP". Did you know what PDP has been spouting in past, the recent being a few months ago?
Promoting a hate channel.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Please do not insult me. I do not know you.
If I went based on his past actions, I would be defending him. But that would be idiotic, as I do not know him personally, nor does he know me, and most importantly he has not defended himself yet on this. Everyone here likes to presume what he will respond before he actually does, and get angry at it, and he always responds something different.
For example, people defaced a WWII memorial with "subscribe to Pewdiepie" the other day. He gave a video response, where, surprise surprise, he did not say "lol this is just a meme" or "antisemitism is bad, wink wink" like ERA said he would.
Likewise, ERA is now angry that he does not take responsibility for this, or at least acknowledge that he has a fanbase among the alt-right and distance himself from them with a strong and serious condemnation. But he has not given a video response yet.
We said what we had to say, now I wait for his response (which, again, I feel will be disappointing - likely something along the lines of condemning what happened, but saying that his fans are not like this at all and he did absolutely nothing to foster this mentality).

edit: Also, I have already expressed my thoughts surrounding Pewdiepie in the other thread. I can link to it if you really want to hear what I think, but again I think that it is all words in the air until he actually gives a response defending or condemning himself.
It's because his past actions have partially normalised or contributed to the spread of far right rhetoric.

When things happen that are directly linked to this and his behaviour, saying sorry isn't enough. He needs to acknowledge that the spread of far right rhetoric has consequence and to stop, immediately and forever.

If he apologizes today, and continues with the spread of far right rhetoric tomorrow, including following and signal boosting the likes of Ben Shapiro, then he will continue to feed the extremists he condemns and his words will be worthless.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
okay - sure: PewDiePie is an idiot. oblivious at best - full alt-right racist at worst. but linking him to that shooting because of a meme (which it is at this point)? I dunno - thats one step more as I am willing to take. If he would be mentioned in the manifesto or something - another story. I don't have all the details but this seems like "the killer played games like WoW and Counter-Strike" all over again.
No one is calling for him to be jailed or for him to pay for a crime that took place on another continent. What people desire from PDP is contrition. Something we want from Trump and Alex Jones and Fox News (Actually I think both Trump and Alex Jones do actually need to be jailed for some of the shit they've spearheaded but that's beside the point). He hosts people like Ben Shapiro, he's made light of Nazism, he follows a cadre of some of the worst right wing bigoted media personalities on the modern internet. Whether he or you two like it or not, he is part of a larger group of individuals who stoke and perpetuate the kind of rhetoric, ideals and mindset that influences bigots, violent or otherwise.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Here's the thing: No matter what bullshit is traded between posters on this board in particular, it isn't a call to action. People who insult each other aren't calling for violence. We don't know each other. Were behind a screen. It's worlds different form actual targeting at being black or being gay or being a woman or being transgender. Someone dogpiling a commenter has no bearing on that commenters safety or life. It has zero actual teeth. Unlike the shit on 4chan and 8chan and Stormfront where they target people in real life. They use real life examples of people who should be hated and feared and attacked like Obama or Brie Larson or David Hogg or the people who look like and/or believe the progressive progressive ideals men and women like that subscribe to. ResetERA is not "as bad" as other places. I have no interest in killing or attacking any one in this topic who has disagreed with me or supported PDP or anything else which is world apart from forums where the focus is entirely on pointing out the enemies in day to day real life. If people are "scared off" because others are being harsh then that's literally the worst that can happen to them. On the other end is actual people who have to fear for their actual lives because of the rhetoric spread in places like PDP's YT comments. People are harsh because this isn't simply a debate about fixing pot holes or cleaning up the neighborhood park. I'm black and queer and I've tempered myself in these conversations for my own sake. In reality I'm angry and scared and ashamed because in real life I am a target for people just like these shooters. That intensity is not something that someone who gets dogpiled on a forum actually shares in. I can't just log off from life or block out the Nazis or KKK members who live in my state or city or apartment complex. People who are scared off need to consider if they're actually afraid of a physical danger or just don't like it when someone is snippy to them on a gaming message board. I can't really spare any sympathy from people who run in the face of others being passionate & emotional in the wake of events with actual flesh and blood casualties. The pointed end of the hatred that spread on 4chan or NeoGaf is directed at people like me in a very visceral and tangible way. We're angry and rough and snippy and intolerant because there are actual consequences for the things people say in regards to real life people and not just posters with nerdy avatars. We condemn things harshly because they are things worth being harsh about.

— Which I can understand but regretably not feel because I'm in different shoes myself and I do not think mental handicaps and physical impairments should be excluded from the topic. And like you say yourself this being the Internet, people are just behind a screen and can distance themselves or not care at any time they please. The Internet through anonimity is a very disconnected place and hard to convey any kind feeling through if one is not already inherently compassionate or understanding.

To make other people understand that do not have these inherent qualities what can be done so that the Internet enables them to learn so anyway? That is something I really wonder about. Everyone wants to be heard but there are not always listeners but negativity seems the most easy accessible ear.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
This thread is just a never-ending parade of dipshits tripping over themselves to defend PDP. Like fucking clockwork.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
If Pew PewDiePew is genuinely disgusted he would stop creating content and cancel his account as there is something seriously wrong if a murderer is quoting his name and recommending others to watch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This "subscribe to PewDiePie is just a meme everyone" stuff is infuriating. Because what it's saying is that no matter how many times stuff like this happens, no matter how many incidents there are of PewDiePie spreading hate and people picking up on that, it will always "just be a meme" and because it's "just a meme" we can't talk about that and it all must just be a conicidence time after time after time after time. Even if this happens dozens of more times, people will still be saying that.

The are literally hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of memes out there. Why this one? Why "subsribe to PewDiePie"? It's not a coincidence it's that instead of something like say "Shaggy is more powerful than Goku and is basically a god" or any of the other nonsensical memes out there. There's a reason they pick this, just as there is when say people who were victims of Nazis in WWII have their graves desecrated by the same nonsense. There's a reason this stuff pops up when it does, and it's no coincidence. It's because PewDiePie himself has spread this same kind of hate when he does stuff like pay people to hold up signs saying kill all Jews or links to Neo-Nazi channels or use racial slurs like the n-word on multiple occasions. There's a reason these particular people go for the particular meme of "subscribe to PewDiePie" versus say Steamed Hams edits or anything like that, and it's no coincidence that these particular people go for that "meme" of all memes" because the purpose of shouting "Subscribe to PewDiePie" prior to doing an attack such as this is to spread hate themselves, to try to get them into PewDiePie's circle and spread even more hate and get them in those same circles, the same way PewDiePie himself does.

It's no coincidence that the shooter said "subscribe to PewDiePie" and not something like talking about ShockedPikachuFace.jpg or even something like "I don't feel so good Mr. Stark". There's a reason these particular people propagate the particular memes they do when these particular types of incidents happen, and it's not a coincidence they do something like "Subscribe to PewDiePie," asking them to subscribe to a known peddler of hate in many ways versus something like Gohan Blanco or whatever that has nothing to do with hate. There are hundreds upon hundreds of memes on the Internet, and yet these particular people go out of their way to pick and perpetuate the particular ones that are linked to hate versus the ones that have nothing to do with anything at all when these incidents happen. I wonder what that reason could be... Hmm... Could it be that maybe *gasp* they know exactly what they're doing and are deliberately picking the ones they're picking to try and get people in the same circle of hate and trying to spread hate the same way people like PewDiePie themselves do it and influence them in those same kinds of ways, and their actions aren't really random at all, and there are particular reasons they pick the things they pick and it's not all just random happenstance?

Like, c'mon people. C'mon.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Words and actions have consequences, especially when you have 90M subscribers on youtube. The fact that the shooter thought of PDP before going on his rampage should tip you off that something is wrong.

Guns don't kill people too I hear
Great edit.

So what are you blaming PDP for exactly? For inspiring the killer, or for somewhat passively perpetuating part of the killer's world view? Because it seems like everyone's acting according to the first instead of the second, thus passing way too much blame to PDP.

Edit: interesting counterpoint ShironRedshift

Oct 25, 2017
Man, some of you really have got no fucking clue.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great edit.

So what are you blaming PDP for exactly? For inspiring the killer, or for somewhat passively perpetuating part of the killer's world view? Because it seems like everyone's acting according to the first instead of the second, thus passing way too much blame to PDP.
We are blaming him for using his popular platform to create racist "jokes" and defend Nazis. Perhaps if Pewdiepie wasn't doing things like this people wouldn't be criticizing him now after a shooter declares him before shooting muslims.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This "subscribe to PewDiePie is just a meme everyone" stuff is infuriating. Because what it's saying is that no matter how many times stuff like this happens, no matter how many incidents there are of PewDiePie spreading hate and people picking up on that, it will always "just be a meme" and because it's "just a meme" we can't talk about that and it all must just be a conicidence time after time after time after time. Even if this happens dozens of more times, people will still be saying that.

The are literally hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of memes out there. Why this one? Why "subsribe to PewDiePie"? It's not a coincidence it's that instead of something like say "Shaggy is more powerful than Goku and is basically a god" or any of the other nonsensical memes out there. There's a reason they pick this, just as there is when say people who were victims of Nazis in WWII have their graves desecrated by the same nonsense. There's a reason this stuff pops up when it does, and it's no coincidence. It's because PewDiePie himself has spread this same kind of hate when he does stuff like pay people to hold up signs saying kill all Jews or links to Neo-Nazi channels or use racial slurs like the n-word on multiple occasions. There's a reason these particular people go for the particular meme of "subscribe to PewDiePie" versus say Steamed Hams edits or anything like that, and it's no coincidence that these particular people go for that "meme" of all memes" because the purpose of shouting "Subscribe to PewDiePie" prior to doing an attack such as this is to spread hate themselves, to try to get them into PewDiePie's circle and spread even more hate and get them in those same circles, the same way PewDiePie himself does.

It's no coincidence that the shooter said "subscribe to PewDiePie" and not something like talking about ShockedPikachuFace.jpg or even something like "I don't feel so good Mr. Stark". There's a reason these particular people propagate the particular memes they do when these particular types of incidents happen, and it's not a coincidence they do something like "Subscribe to PewDiePie," asking them to subscribe to a known peddler of hate in many ways versus something like Gohan Blanco or whatever that has nothing to do with hate. There are hundreds upon hundreds of memes on the Internet, and yet these particular people go out of their way to pick and perpetuate the particular ones that are linked to hate versus the ones that have nothing to do with anything at all when these incidents happen. I wonder what that reason could be... Hmm... Could it be that maybe *gasp* they know exactly what they're doing and are deliberately picking the ones they're picking to try and get people in the same circle of hate and trying to spread hate the same way people like PewDiePie themselves do it and influence them in those same kinds of ways, and their actions aren't really random at all, and there are particular reasons they pick the things they pick and it's not all just random happenstance?

Like, c'mon people. C'mon.

Well said.

For me it's utterly bizarre how so many people seem unable to grasp the basic underlying fundamentals of this shit:
A) Words mean things;
B) Choice of words mean things;
C) Influence isn't just explicit;
D) Things have consequences;
E) Other people are different to yourself;
F) Stuff doesn't happen for no fucking reason.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you are popular to the level Pewdiepie is and promote various problematic things with no real apology and make it seem like nothing more than a humorous joke, this normalizes it to an audience which in turn breeds hate. The shooter calls him out right before his terrorist act, specifically him. That really should say it all especially with the things Pewdiepie has been saying and doing lately.
You're absolutely right - that should make him reflect on a thing or two, if he is still in touch with this world somehow. Absolutely agree. And I'm not going to defend his past actions and non-apologies. All I'm saying is that - the way I see it - the PewDiePie Meme is a Symptom, not the/a cause. And PewDiePie and his Fans should really take a look at his work lately and think about it.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bye bye

Oct 27, 2017
The defenses are not surprising but still baffling. The piece of shit himself even knows at the very least he promoted hateful views and is now trying weasel himself out of it.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Great edit.

Edit: interesting counterpoint ShironRedshift
There's nothing passive about putting up a "Death to all Jews" sign. That's very much actively contributing to the killers world views, deliberate or not. In one moment you've got one of the most influential and far reaching people on YT basically labeling genocide as something funny that shouldn't be taken seriously. For someone who already has it in their mind that "X" minorities deserved to be culled, it's not hard to see how "pranks/memes" like such would reinforce their beliefs and galvanize them into believing that maybe slaughtering the "right" people isn't something so bad and might actually be necessary.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, it's not the first time this comparison has come up. Where's this talking point coming from?

In any case, there's a very obvious difference. Bernie Sanders does not promote hate. PewDiePie on the other hand has paid people to hold up signs saying "Kill all Jews." PewDiePie has used racial slurs like the n-word on multiple occasions and has made it clear he doesn't care about the harm those words cause. PewDiePie has linked to Neo-Nazi YouTube channels.

Bernie Sanders has not done those thinks. PewDiePie has. There's a reason why Bernie Sanders can't be held responsible for that gunman in any way, but PewDiePie's actions do influence people like this shooter and are connected. Sanders does not peddle in hate. PewDiePie does. Pretty clear difference.

A much more relevant comparison than Sanders, would be the guy who tried to send all kinds of bombs to places like CNN's offices and all kinds of prominent Democrats, who was found to be directly inspired by Trump and even having his van decked out in Trump-logos and propaganda and stuff. Where there's a clear connection. Same deal here with PewDiePie.

But that's why connecting Sanders to the incident you reference doesn't work, but why people like PewDiePie very clear do have an influence on and are intricately connected to this particular shooting in New Zealand. Sanders doesn't peddle in hate, while PewDiePie does, over multiple years, in very clear and very blatant ways. Very large difference that you just completely overlooked here and easily explains the difference between the two. PewDiePie peddles hate, and that's why he's being linked to stuff like this due to the shooter yelling "subscribe to PewDiePie" but no one holds Sanders personally responsible for the man who shot congressman Steve Scalise.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm upset that we aren't talking more about google. They are the real evil that give these horrible people a platform. Yet Google doesn't care about how vile of a person you are as long as they can make money off you. Yet people still cheer a company like that.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's nothing passive about putting up a "Death to all Jews" sign. That's very much actively contributing to the killers world views, deliberate or not. In one moment you've got one of the most influential and far reaching people on YT basically labeling genocide as something funny that shouldn't be taken seriously. For someone who already has it in their mind that "X" minorities deserved to be culled, it's not hard to see how "pranks/memes" like such would reinforce their beliefs and galvanize them into believing that maybe slaughtering the "right" people isn't something so bad and might actually be necessary.
This.

It's essentially leaving food on the counter and being surprised a roach is on it when you wake up in the morning.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Bigots never take responsibility for the shit they say. It's always just a joke, then someone dies, they get "devastated", then it's just a joke again.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Don't want to condone anything, but if PDP, Jontron etc...etc... were all to permanently vanish, the world would be a bit better.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm upset that we aren't talking more about google. They are the real evil that give these horrible people a platform. Yet Google doesn't care about how vile of a person you are as long as they can make money off you. Yet people still cheer a company like that.
Well at least they unlisted hate chan. It's something I guess. But youtube is a trashfire.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Y'know, it's not the first time this comparison has come up. Where's this talking point coming from?
It's in regards to this shooting where the shooter happened to be anti-Trump. And like you said, progressivism as a general stance isn't about he outright oppression, elimination or culling of any one group. Democratic talking points aren't subtle dogwhistles about how anyone white, straight, male or Republican should be oppressed or killed. That isn't the foundation of progressive politics. Bernie and other liberal politicians aren't endorsed by the KKK or Proud Boys, people who openly and clearly state how minorities should be wiped away. Democrats aren't supported by a 24hr news channel that spreads falsities and not so subtle fear stoking against minorities. People like Hodgkinson aren't a consistent output of the Democratic party in comparison to the GOP where this is only the latest in a string of bombs, shootings and mass shootings in the name of Bernie or Hillary.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. Wish the news outlets would call Google out on this shit.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
You are right, and I've been thinking of trying to get them out of my life. It is an effort as I don't like Apple phones, and have a long-standing google account and gmail. But their attitude with running youtube, among other things disturbs me.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's in regards to this shooting where the shooter happened to be anti-Trump
I'm aware of the incident itself (I mention Scalise, the primary victim, at the end of that post if you notice). I just meant the talking point of using the shooting to try and defend PewDiePie here. Not the first time I've seen someone use the fact that nobody blames Sanders for the then Majority Whip being shot to defend PewDiePie and how nobody should be linking PewDiePie either in this thread, despite the clear differences between those situations, and was just musing if that's on a list of talking points somewhere that's getting sent around as a result because that's such a specific thing to bring up and seeing it multiple times despite the clear differences is weird to me. That's all I meant, not what shooting that person was referring to at all.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
He will have to live with the fact that this insane person went out and murdered nearly 50 people and it is likely that it wouldnt have happened if it wasnt for his youtube channel. And he will have to live with people putting the blame on him.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i'll bookend what im saying by saying i really dislike pdp, i'm jewish and take great offence to some of the shit he's done.

that being said, i think this post from a uk left wing podcaster is bang on the money