• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I remember a mild shitshow a few years ago when Campo Santo said they would file DMCA takedown noticies if *redacted* posted anything about Firewatch. I'd love to see every game publisher do this to *redacted* to get him off YouTube. He lost the right to that platform a long time ago.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a mild shitshow a few years ago when Campo Santo said they would file DMCA takedown noticies if *redacted* posted anything about Firewatch. I'd love to see every game publisher do this to *redacted* to get him off YouTube. He lost the right to that platform a long time ago.
Gotta become a THQN streamer at that point

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I agree, I just wish it wasn't the case, because it means compromising content, for example.

What compromise are you worried people have to make in the aftermath of a white nationalist terror attack?

Having a higher standard of community curation than PDP simply doesn't bother normal people.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well yeah, I know the stupid subscribe 2 PDP is a meme. But having it one your head while killing multiple people is not normal.
Don't think I will add much to this thread but there are several ways he can/should do to make his "followers" understand that his is not right (not right is a understatement), he has to draw a fucking line and change.

I just don't think he is doing this things deliberately (or maybe he is? by the videos he posts it doesn't seem so), he's just a fucking ass with too much power.

Oh I'm with you - I don't think he is doing thing deliberately - he is the classic internet celebrity joker - trolling is his specialty and that's how he became famous. But, he can't be just sorry for what happened. There is no turning back from this - he has all the power and fame he needs, it's time he uses some of it to steer his fans into proper channels.

Oct 29, 2017
I keep reading what everyone is linking and I just do not see how they are associated other than this guy been a quite clearly nutter that was a fan of his channel?
I get it that no one likes PewDiePie for many different reasons but.. This is not even guilty by association, this is guilty because someone mentioned his "name"

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I agree, I just wish it wasn't the case, because it means compromising content, for example.
It's needed, but it's unfortunate.
What's more unfortunate, the shitty content that perpetuates bigotry and hatred being compromised or the effects of the bigotry on people?

EDIT: Actually let me guess, this is a "Free Speech" dog whistle which itself is a right wing dog whistle for "we should let people say whatever they want disregarding it's affects on others and historical context". Because thats what I'm getting.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading what everyone is linking and I just do not see how they are associated other than this guy been a quite clearly nutter that was a fan of his channel?
I get it that no one likes PewDiePie for many different reasons but.. This is not even guilty by association, this is guilty because someone mentioned his "name"
Pewdiepie follows people and openly shares the views with other youtubers who use the same rhetoric as the shooter. One of them just had to delete one of their videos because it's basically a copy of an excerpt from the shooter's manifesto.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
PDP didn't commit any violence. He contributes to the rhetoric and the perpetuation of the culture that produces violent offenders. By pretending things like Nazism are laughing matters he breeds people who buy into the rhetoric, spread it, reinforce it and galvanize those who commit this kind of violence. By not admonishing the people in those groups who see him as a fucking hero, he continues a trend that already exists of people seeing that it's OK to stick to your beliefs about the inferiority of "undesirable" people. PDP had a simple job: Make sure that people watching his videos understand that white supremacy is wrong, bigotry is sick and equality is something that should be sought by everyone. Something that should be simple if you actually understand the stakes of what is going on, have empathy and are actually invested in bettering the world but he chose to double down time and time again. There is no single through line from PDP to this mass shooter but PDP contributes to the pitcher of water that makes up the kool-aid that people just like these maniacs drink from. Just like Alex Jones & Beitbart & Milo Y. & Richard Spencer, and on.

Quoted for people to read despite already beinga threadmark.

PDP wants to hold on to the power of being an influencer but does not want to tale responsibility. If it were some other celebrity who got a shout out, they would probably come out and condemn the person, while telling his fanbase that he does not support alt right, neo nazis and islamphobes. He should be telling his fanbase that if they belong to these groups, they should feel free to unsubscribe and never watch his content again. He should also say that he does no longer endorse the stupid PDP versus T Series sub wars and that everyone should stop saying "subscribe to PDP."

But he won't because he doesn't care.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's obviously pretty hard to imagine being as big as he is, but my mind instantly went to how if this were me I'd probably think about everything I ever fucking said or did in my videos and then apologize and straight up call it a day and disappear.

I'm sure it's not something he'd ever consider, but goddamn, as a human being how could you not.

Anyway, I'm late to the thread but agree his tweet is simply not enough. It has never really been enough any of those times he's been in trouble for being a garbage human being and escaped with essentially a "tee hee" to do some other vile shit later down the road.

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck can you distance yourself from shit like this when you're named in the video and you have a history of making racist comments?

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

There is a reason that traditional mass-market broadcasters generally have broadcasting standards that they have to adhere to, and that massively popular figures using traditional broadcast media like radio or TV have responsibilities to work within those standards.

With an audience that potentially dwarfs even some of the most popular traditional broadcasters, it's arguable that figures like Pewdiepie should be subject to more strict, codified rules than the laissez-faire approach Google have taken to huge YT stars like PDP or the Paul brothers. The democratisation that YT has brought in terms of allowing anyone to become a broadcaster, and for people to reach huge global audiences even for niche interests, has been brilliant, but it's beyond time that a more formal, rigorous standards structure was put in place, as at the moment Google have no real incentive to do anything about popular YouTubers that bring in money for them.

Last edited:

Ian

Oct 27, 2017
Kent, UK
It's obviously pretty hard to imagine being as big as he is, but my mind instantly went to how if this were me I'd probably think about everything I ever fucking said or did in my videos and then apologize and straight up call it a day and disappear.

How about just don't say anything racist, ever, no matter who you're talking to or how many people are listening? Really not that difficult ffs

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck all of the alt right ass holes honestly

Every single online gaming culture needs to change because from an outside perspective the "gaming community" appears as though it's run a mock by alt right, white supremacist asshats

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ethan of h3h3 is of course also jumping on the "please don't look at anything that might implicate the shitty culture my ugly Youtube friends and I have cultivated in the radicalization of people who go on to carry out terrorism" wagon.

here is what this hilarious provocateur was tweeting just hours before the shooting

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
5c0.php

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what he does outside of his whole both sides routine. Stream? There's no reason for us to be talking about him.
He's a professional fence-sitter who somehow got people to believe he's important in gaming, despite never having a unique thought or credible leak. People think he's "smart" because he makes 10+ minute videos of himself saying absolutely nothing and basically concluding with a "both sides" take. Which for some unknown reason he thought he needs to apply to politics as well and does so frequently, and gets upset when people call him out for being spineless or supporting bigots, where he responds implying people on the left are just as bigoted.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
It does bother me somewhat that influencers are supposed to act like every deranged lunatic is hanging on their every word, all the time.
I wish they didn't have to be mindful of that, but they obviously must.
I mean it is right there in the job title. That is their job. That is what they do. Of course they should be fucking mindful.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
How about just don't say anything racist, ever, no matter who you're talking to or how many people are listening? Really not that difficult ffs

obviously. Yes. I agree.

But it appears to be difficult for him. He's a shithead.

That comment was mostly just putting myself in a situation where I'm even remotely associated with something as disgusting as this and how it would completely break me. I'd be done.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To a better person, this would have been THE wake up call to what kind of humor, ideas and people he is promoting, intentionally or otherwise. But he is what he is, just interested in himself.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
While I will never be in the position that PDP is in, having an audience of millions, I don't accept this idea that it's a hard position to be in regarding being a role model.

In my day to day life I manage to avoid spouting hateful ideas or jokes, I avoid promoting and following hate mongers, yet apparently its super fucking hard and something we should empathise with according to some.

Fuck that.

The only reason it can be hard is if you either have horrible opinions or lack the very basic level of critical thinking that can help you understand how your words and actions can influence others.

And considering PDP is an 'influencer' on YouTube, I find it hard to believe he doesn't understand that fact.

Oct 27, 2017
And still nothing will be done about him cause he brings money, pathetic. Like how Nickelodeon was supposedly gonna drop thq. These companies don't care unless you hurt their bottom line. Google could've nipped pdp in the bud a long time ago but didn't, and people have the nerve to say give them a chance in the console space. Foh.

I fear there's gonna be a lot of this in the future as the current crop of kids and those following are radicalized and getting radicalized by shitty streamers on the internet.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
binovkw6a8m21.png

Can we stop being charitable to PDP already?

Never forget the Ben Shapiro superfan that carried out the Quebec mosque shooting.

Other right wing nuts/shitheads he is following on Twitter, just from a cursory scrolling through 'em:
Steven Crowder
Ian Miles Cheong
Nick Monroe
Notch
Keemstar
JonTron

And also Logan Paul because of course.

But yeah, he definitely is completely innocuous. Just a meme, bro.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure pewdiepie has been promoting books on his stream the last year including ones that promote Jewish conspiracies. If he's not alt-right himself he's definitely cashing in on the alt-right YouTube movement.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017

Ethan of h3h3 is of course also jumping on the "please don't look at anything that might implicate the shitty culture my ugly Youtube friends and I have cultivated in the radicalization of people who go on to carry out terrorism" wagon.

here is what this hilarious provocateur was tweeting just hours before the shooting

That's not about protecting PDP or other youtubers, it's about not validating shooters and making them famous. We talk about them nonstop on 24 hour news, plaster their face and their beliefs everywhere and try to dissect everything they've believed. It validates them and shows other individuals if they commit heinous acts they can be just as famous.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
No thank you. Now's not the time for him to somehow "learn". His decisions were intentional and the facts were in front of him. Even today his apology is pathetic. He needs to be deplatformed NOW. There are deaths directly attributed now.
I'm sorry, but to me there is a huge leap from making a campaign to "subscribe to PewDiePie" obnoxious as it is, to saying "kill someone in my name!"

I am aware of his Fivrr blunder but I used to follow him for years before his post-youth-e-celeb phase and though he is all about self-attention he just is not a pro-violence person and him making nazi memes never came across as him having a literal antisemitist agenda to me. I understand there are types of people who I can't explain that to. There's just a fundamental gap of comprehension here.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess these are the consequences of being careless while having this much influence.

It does bother me somewhat that influencers are supposed to act like every deranged lunatic is hanging on their every word, all the time.
I wish they didn't have to be mindful of that, but they obviously must.

Preface this isn't an attack directly at you but I'm singling out your comment because I see way too fucking often when it comes to streamers and how they get defended on the internet.

There is a literal shift in media right now to many people relying on personalites across many platforms as their form of entertainment and news. If many of you (the general you) are going to champion this shift and continue to push how it's better than what we get on cable than you HAVE to realize these people need to be held accountable for the content coming out of their mouths. You cannot sit there and condem Fox News or Brietbart for their reach while simulataneously defending the likes of Pewdiepie. Just because he has some fuckwit of a handle on YouTube DOES NOT mean he is exempt for how he needs to conduct himself. YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, et al are pushing their platforms as the new form of media. They need to be treated in the same god damn manner. Just because it comes out via Internet instead of a coax cable in your wall SHOULD NOT exempt it from the same standards we hold all people to who broadcast out to their followers.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think YouTube is going to do anything, but advertisers definitely will. They pull ads at the first wind of discomfort, and this is a gargantuan situation.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but to me there is a huge leap from making a campaign to "subscribe to PewDiePie" obnoxious as it is, to saying "kill someone in my name!"

I am aware of his Fivrr blunder but I used to follow him for years before his post-youth-e-celeb phase and though he is all about self-attention he just is not a pro-violence person and him making nazi memes never came across as him having a literal antisemitist agenda to me. I understand there are types of people who I can't explain that to. There's just a fundamental gap of comprehension here.

You don't think normalizing Nazis through memes is a bad thing? You're right about the comprehension issue if you think the only way is him explicitly asking someone to do this. That's just dense and disingenuous.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
PDP doesn't want to held any responsabilty for sharing and saying awful things.

He didn't condemn this part of the fanbase, he cultivated it. And now one of them did this and he doesn't even admit that is part of the problem.

His "jokes" and sharing anti semitic views aren't something to be ignored.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Even if he doesn't explicitly call for violence (though I personally would argue his "joke" with the Kill All Jews sign speaks a different language), PewDiePie has been mingling with right wing shitheads for a long time now, has propagated their ideas and has done absolutely nothing to distance himself from them.

He's, at best, something that some people call "alt light", people like Sargon of Akkad, who are gateway drugs and push their audience towards the real fascists in order to be recruited for their cause. But after having so many "oopsies" happen to him out of complete coincidence in the past few years, is it really coincidences? Is it really coincidence that it's always the fascists and rightwingers who come out in droves to defend him on social media? Is it really coincidence that he's following almost all of the alt-right thought leaders on Twitter?