• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I see pewdiepie and I have no urge to be killing people, I'm not anti-semitic and not racist.

Now, I will not say he haven't done some disgusted shit, he did. But the people that does things like this are already mentally sick, they would probably do it with pewdiepie videos or not.

At best he could use his influence to instruct young generations that this type of behavior is... inhuman... disgusting... i don't know...
Obviously not everyone who watches him will do shit like this but PDP is a person with a LOT of influence, which he has used to signal boost some really disgusting views to lots of impressionable fans including kids and people who are mentally unstable or are already massive bigots.

He gets called out for this crap, he makes a shitty non-apology and then gets more alt-right bigots and shitheels on his side. His fanbase grows increasingly toxic and more emboldened because he is getting away with promoting hate speech under the guise of "It's just a joke guys!"

His complete lack of remorse or willingness to be a good role model does make him culpable for shit like this. And it's just going to get worse when people who agree with the shooter are going to think that they can rally under PDP's banner and influence even more vulnerable or disgusting people

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Too little too late. His name was uttered. Now he's got the attention of the authorities during their investigation.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing. I am no longer interested in whether or not Pewdiepie is a good person or whether or not he means the things he says, whether or not he's just being an edgelord for "teh lulz" and to pander to his audience, I don't give a shit about any of that anymore. As much as Pewdiepie might like, this isn't about him as much as it is about his inability.

When you have a platform that's 80 million people big, you have a responsibility as to how you exercise it. 80 million people is more people than the population of most countries on the planet! You need to understand that your intent doesn't matter and be cognizant of just how much what you say or do can be construed in ugly directions by someone among those 80 million either way. In ordinary circumstances, someone will make mistakes, of course they will, but they will learn from those mistakes and become better. Pewdiepie, whether out of intention or "just a mistake", has not done that. He has repeatedly stoked a certain kind of audience and rhetoric, and either he's doing this on purpose or he's doing this because he has no fucking idea about just how big is audience and his reach is, just how much of an influence he can have on the world. In either case, that makes him dangerous- you won't hand a gun to a person with psychopathic tendencies, but you also won't hand it to someone who doesn't know how to use one. It's dangerous in either case.

We're way past the jokes phase. It's time for Pewdiepie to step down. Do it yourself and maintain some semblance of dignity.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5c0.php
Holy shit I never saw this, thank you!

Accuracy: The Comic

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
We need to regulate these content providers the same way we regulate cable channel broadcasts. It's god damn time

Fuck the replies to that tweet. Shit heels feeling bad for PewDiePie. Like fuck off he doesn't know or care about you, and you defend him likes he's your friend. Sick of these idiots that can't discern the difference between reality and online or even the difference between an actual person you know and a "celebrity"

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
wow dissapointed in Skillup as he is defending pewds and telling people to delete resetera. time to unsubscribe to his channel.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I keep reading what everyone is linking and I just do not see how they are associated other than this guy been a quite clearly nutter that was a fan of his channel?
I get it that no one likes PewDiePie for many different reasons but.. This is not even guilty by association, this is guilty because someone mentioned his "name"
I'm going to explain this as clearly as I possibly can.

Two years ago, a man in the US went on a mass shooting spree and cited Bernie Sanders as the motive for the attack. The difference between that situation and this one is that Sanders has never once advocated for violence against his political opposition or diminished the plight of racial/ethnic minorities in doing so. Sanders never once made any motions towards normalizing the type of behavior or rhetoric that shooter claimed he stood for.

PewDiePie on the other hand has a history of multiple infractions, use of racial expletives and has repeatedly trivialized the struggles of minorities and used Jewish stereotypes as the butt of his jokes. No one here is saying that he is a plotting co-conspirator or perpetrator in this crime but you'd have to be willfully ignorant to not acknowledge the clear fact that PewDiePie's aforementioned history has courted a small crowd of ethno-nationalists to his brand that wouldn't be there otherwise. Acknowledging anything less than that is just absolving him of the morally questionable things he has done under the guise of "satire" and "humor". I add sneer quotes around those two words because that same brand of ironic humor is also present in the manifesto of one of the perpetrators.

If PewDiePie doesn't want the attention of deranged people like this then he should fucking stop trying to court them via "ironic" humor and racial pejoratives. His peers on YouTube don't seem to have this issue.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
He's a professional fence-sitter who somehow got people to believe he's important in gaming, despite never having a unique thought or credible leak. People think he's "smart" because he makes 10+ minute videos of himself saying absolutely nothing and basically concluding with a "both sides" take. Which for some unknown reason he thought he needs to apply to politics as well and does so frequently, and gets upset when people call him out for being spineless or supporting bigots, where he responds implying people on the left are just as bigoted.
I think he attracted a large male middle school/high school audience the past five years, particularly the nerd gaming crowed. A bunch of boys think they became "smart" or "woke" by watching youtube videos and try to use those ideas to argue with their teachers about academic topics. It is one of the reasons I barf in my mouth a bit when people say they can learn more by watching youtube as opposed to going to school and reading. Now they boys are grown up into man children with foolish ideas that they can act upon.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
There is something off about this. Shooter is a social media whore. Alt right was a mistake and needs to be purged

And Pdp should be ashamed he was mentioned even if the shooter was just making refrences to that mindset. Clearly he's associated

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
He LIVE killing people on facebook !!!

I get that you're angry, but saying the internet is the biggest mistake of humanity because this asshole terrorist streamed himself killing people is kinda silly.

Are books, music, and movies a mistake because some people use them to spread hate?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
You don't think normalizing Nazis through memes is a bad thing? You're right about the comprehension issue if you think the only way is him explicitly asking someone to do this. That's just dense and disingenuous.
I think it's very bad, but I can make the distinction between what is an actual agenda and what is just immature meme-skating. The thing we probably both agree on is that PDP has a responsibility speaking to 70+ million viewers of not using antisemitism even as a joke especially not with people younger than himself which many of them are.

Directly Pewdiepie doesn't have a part in this as someone is using his name to rally up misdirection. However, Pewdiepie's past behavior has contribute to hateful thinking and hasn't really done anything to correct himself or his past messages. At this point he needs to be super forward about changing himself and actively helping others other than charity donations.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If the person appears legitimately spiteful to jews and not reiterating memes of the 1930s or trying to create offensive content on purpose. PewDiePie would never join a neo-nazi march. You're just delusional if you think that's what he is about, and I always felt people who lump him in as a legit nazi are people who barely know who he is and jumped on the sensationalist headline or they're people who hate him for his personality and gladly took the nazi controversy as a means of trashing him with some idea of it being morally good (in its own gaslighting manner)

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's very bad, but I can make the distinction between what is an actual agenda and what is just immature meme-skating. The thing we probably both agree on is that PDP has a responsibility speaking to 70+ million viewers of not using antisemitism even as a joke especially not with people younger than himself which many of them are.
Nah you don't, neither you nor I can know what PDP's motivation is.

But we both can easily understand that PDP is one of white supremacists favourite youtube person.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The problem with "immature meme-skating" is that it gives those with the actual agenda the opportunity and atmosphere to push that agenda while pretending to be meme-skating. "Just a joke" has become an excuse for spreading harmful ideas.
That said, with just how regularly that "immature meme-skating" seems to happen with PDP, and the fact he follows right wing figureheads on Twitter, shares their ideas etc., I don't think you can possibly construe him as being "just meme-skating", and by pretending that he is not pushing his fanbase towards the far right but rather "meme-skating" is inherently going to lead to, well, these ideas being propagated.

There's a reason why one of these figureheads PDP is following on Twitter, Lauren Southern, took the video about the "Great Replacement" offline.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here's the thing. I am no longer interested in whether or not Pewdiepie is a good person or whether or not he means the things he says, whether or not he's just being an edgelord for "teh lulz" and to pander to his audience, I don't give a shit about any of that anymore. As much as Pewdiepie might like, this isn't about him as much as it is about his inability.

When you have a platform that's 80 million people big, you have a responsibility as to how you exercise it. 80 million people is more people than the population of most countries on the planet! You need to understand that your intent doesn't matter and be cognizant of just how much what you say or do can be construed in ugly directions by someone among those 80 million either way. In ordinary circumstances, someone will make mistakes, of course they will, but they will learn from those mistakes and become better. Pewdiepie, whether out of intention or "just a mistake", has not done that. He has repeatedly stoked a certain kind of audience and rhetoric, and either he's doing this on purpose or he's doing this because he has no fucking idea about just how big is audience and his reach is, just how much of an influence he can have on the world. In either case, that makes him dangerous- you won't hand a gun to a person with psychopathic tendencies, but you also won't hand it to someone who doesn't know how to use one. It's dangerous in either case.

We're way past the jokes phase. It's time for Pewdiepie to step down. Do it yourself and maintain some semblance of dignity.

He won't step down. And actually, stepping down is not the solution in my opinion. He has a huge platform - show how you can change to your fans, set an example. It's enough when you attack the media or people that don't like you because you feel attacked for what you are, but as I said there is no turning back after this, not when a murderer has associated himself with you.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So I woke up to about 50 notifications on Twitter. No idea why. Turns out it was mostly from angry PDP fans who saw me tweet "No, they should remove him too," in response to someone saying YouTube should only remove the shooting videos and not PDP himself.

The only other time that happens is if I have said something about a GamerGate-related story in the past. I'm sure there's no correlation between the two.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I am aware of his Fivrr blunder but I used to follow him for years before his post-youth-e-celeb phase and though he is all about self-attention he just is not a pro-violence person and him making nazi memes never came across as him having a literal antisemitist agenda to me.
A man who's audience is comprised of children should not be making "nazi memes."

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
If the person appears legitimately spiteful to jews and not reiterating memes of the 1930s or trying to create offensive content on purpose. PewDiePie would never join a neo-nazi march. You're just delusional if you think that's what he is about, and I always felt people who lump him in as a legit nazi are people who barely know who he is and jumped on the sensationalist headline or they're people who hate him for his personality and gladly took the nazi controversy as a means of trashing him with some idea of it being morally good (in its own gaslighting manner)
At what point do we say his "meme skating" adds nothing of true value and instead helps to embolden people like this shooter? Pewdiepie isnt stupid, you think he does this shit for fun? He does it because he knows who his audience is. How much do you know him? Is he a friend IRL? To me that doesnt matter one hell of a bit.

If I see someone CONTINUALLY say racist and bigoted shit, apologize multiple times for that same shit and try to play it off as "memeing" I go to the next logical step and start to question their character. You can believe all you want he's an okay guy with a meme streak(forgive the pun) but to me he's a racist shit head, who aligns himself with other white supremacist shitheads and tries to play it off with le memes. If you dont see that then you're letting your love for an internet personality cloud your judgement. And yes, sometimes making judgments based on the information at hand is a good thing to do.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm sorry, but these memes of the 1930s are an aspect of what led to part of my family dying in Nazi concentration camps. The normalization of ridiculing whole groups of marginalized people is an insanely important step towards dehumanizing them, and by that, enabling their genocide.
You don't have to actively take part in a Nazi rally to believe in at least part of what they're saying, propagate and spread their ideas, and normalize these ideas as being part of the acceptable discourse. Especially if you have a platform of 80 million followers.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So I woke up to about 50 notifications on Twitter. No idea why. Turns out it was mostly from angry PDP fans who saw me tweet "No, they should remove him too," in response to someone saying YouTube should only remove the shooting videos and not PDP himself.

The only other time that happens is if I have said something about a GamerGate-related story in the past. I'm sure there's no correlation between the two.

Take it as a chance to read, report and block.

That Youtube tweet has more replies about "Don't remove PDP" than there should be.

I also say that the word "meme" should be cancelled. Let's call nazi propanganda by its actual name.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's absolutely incredible that Fuckhead YouTubers can joke about White Supremacy and Antisemitism, AltRight talk heads can virtually spout hate speech about non white demo groups.....

And all this rhetoric and actions can never be tied to inciting and inspiring the violence of the people who follow and listen to them.....

For some magically reason, they have to be separated with no connection whatsoever....

But Jussie Smollett lies about a hate crime and somehow his personal actions have to "blanket and stain the entire black and gay community".....

Whiteness will do a 720 backflip to never hold itself accountable. White People can never do anything wrong. It's everyone else who is causing so much hatred and division. Clearly.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Pewdiepie has made several antisemitic comments and jokes, used racial slurs, recently linked to a nazi cartoon, and has associated with people like sargon of akkad and ben shapiro. He is not just a guy making jokes, he is a person with a pattern of hateful thoughts and abuse and associates with key figures in the alt-right

Stop playing stupid, everyone knows all of this. Call Pewdiepie out for who and what he is. It isn't a coincidence that he has been embraced by nazis, with his name spray painted on WWII memorials. There's an obvious reason why this connection was made if you just used your brain for one fucking second

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
That's not about protecting PDP or other youtubers, it's about not validating shooters and making them famous. We talk about them nonstop on 24 hour news, plaster their face and their beliefs everywhere and try to dissect everything they've believed. It validates them and shows other individuals if they commit heinous acts they can be just as famous.
I mean yes but, from this idiot and those like him, that's not the intention. If Muslim terrorists just shot and killed 49 people, you think he'd be posting about not talking about the shooters or their manifesto? Of course not. These people (racists) are conveniently arguing to do the right thing, because it's in their own best interest, this time.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not about protecting PDP or other youtubers, it's about not validating shooters and making them famous. We talk about them nonstop on 24 hour news, plaster their face and their beliefs everywhere and try to dissect everything they've believed. It validates them and shows other individuals if they commit heinous acts they can be just as famous.
Convenient though isn't it, that when the shooter has been clearly radicalized by these people that they ask everyone to stop looking at any potential motives behind their actions, anything that they said or did that led them to this?

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Usually see the Pewdiepie subreddits getting spammed on the front page but noticed they were absent. Out of morbid curiosity I decided to hop over there to see what they're doing.

Been set to private mode, must be soooo hard for them dealing with this...

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He won't step down. And actually, stepping down is not the solution in my opinion. He has a huge platform - show how you can change to your fans, set an example. It's enough when you attack the media or people that don't like you because you feel attacked for what you are, but as I said there is no turning back after this, not when a murderer has associated himself with you.
I agree, but I also don't think he is capable of the self reflection necessary to show and affect actual change, if he was, we would never have reached this point. At that juncture my primary and overriding concern is to minimize any further damage this man might cause.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
He's had his chances to change, too many of them if we're being honest, and he clearly has no desire to

Deplatforming works

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Fucking Pewdiepie.

Fuck off forever and I'm pulling for you to get removed from YT.

And guess what? Nothing of value would be lost.

BTW, Terrorist mentions you while murdering people during a livestream, its a bit too late to "distance" yourself. No, you didn't order the attack but damn did you make those attackers feel good about something.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No one posts their stuff here.
I think they meant ban their tweets in topics like these, and in regards to Boogie, I agree. We all know he's shit, there's nothing to be gained. Boogie the "moderate" will always both sides and defend his nazi friends. If people want to rage at his tweets they can follow him on twitter.

Nobody posts jontron anymore and this community is better for it. We all know he's a racist pos so what's the point? Same can be said about Boogie.