• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's worth pointing out that a lot of the time (and let's especially roll back at least 5 years) while all of those people are controversial and ultimately trolls, none of them had particularly rallying viewpoints about causing violence or spreading the hate. People will always believe they are the morally justified party, and while the slippery slopes lead to hatred and bigotry, I believe a lot of people who followed them are as simple as "I don't care for all this caring in the world" which is shitty but not as shitty as "I want to spread some hate and promote violence!".

Shapiro was a lead editor at Breitbart starting in 2012.
Southern started her activism around 2015.
Crowder has been part of the right wingers since 2009.
Watson has been actively making right wing videos since 2011.
Stefan Molyneux has been peddling his bullshit since 2005.

These people have not turned into right wingers out of a sudden within the last few years.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark

These people have not turned into right wingers out of a sudden within the last few years.
I didn't mean to say they have but I admit I didn't know what their background was before the recent divisive times.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If he wants to distance himself he needs to immediately delete his channel and any other online presence he may have, and take a long enough break from the internet that his toxic fanbase forgets he ever existed. Anything less than that is a completely insincere gesture. He's made his millions being a racist fuckwad. Time to walk away.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

also, for the viewers at home, remember that "right wing" in this case means peddling white supremecy, race science, mysogyny, and islamophobia, not like "lower business taxes"

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
If the person appears legitimately spiteful to jews and not reiterating memes of the 1930s or trying to create offensive content on purpose. PewDiePie would never join a neo-nazi march. You're just delusional if you think that's what he is about, and I always felt people who lump him in as a legit nazi are people who barely know who he is and jumped on the sensationalist headline or they're people who hate him for his personality and gladly took the nazi controversy as a means of trashing him with some idea of it being morally good (in its own gaslighting manner)

I don't think he is an outright Nazi or neo-Nazi either, yet some of what he does still draws support from these groups which, IMHO, is just as bad. The point is that you don't need to outright support something to be contributing to it anyways. PDP's willingness to comedically embrace those memes (many of which originate from alt-right networks), wear MAGA hats, or, more disturbingly, share channels that involve hateful content creators are dog-whistles (and I personally believe they are intentional ones, considering he has received so much flak for them over the years for the normalizing impact of some of his content) to those that support hateful ideologies. It creates an environment for racists and bigots where their dark sub-culture is brought into the mainstream in a light-hearted way, without being criticized for what it is doing. These people see in him someone who is willing to give their ideologies a pass and they also like that he is normalizing their sub-culture by making it seem as if it is something that is light-hearted and not out of the ordinary. Why would PDP do this? I believe it is as a means of attracting support, increasing his subscription, and increasing his viewership; he is playing a balancing act of sending signals to these hateful people, but not going far enough to appear as straight up racist so as to not alienate his mainstream base (many of whom seemingly look at his content in a non-critical manner, and are willing to give him a pass unless he does something that is completely outwardly racist). BTW, he is hardly the only one to employ this strategy. Various right-wing and far-right political parties have been employing this strategy for years in the hopes of sending signals to their core hateful supporters, while also attempting to appeal to mainstream voters.

Nov 20, 2017
And of course this is all anyone is talking about over here regarding the incident. Screw pewdiepie, screw Pachter, this isn't truly important. The shooter himself wanted as many people as possible to discuss the incident and himself, and what better way than to bring up names and phrases that you know will generate attention?

You want to look into the cesspool that makes things like this possible? Take a look at 4ch, or 8ch where you have 10s of people quite literally applauding this piece of trash. That's what feeds these people.

I do think PDP needs to take a deep hard look at who he features on his videos though. It's time (past time really) to curate this crap.

People are focusing on other components of the attack in Etcetera:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ma...ody-49-confirmed-dead-read-threadmarks.105436

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Difference is that the individual doesn't intend harm on other people; example 1 is someone with an actual agenda because they hate jews or other forms of minorities and want to see the world burn, and example 2 is someone who doesn't realize it's going to create more hate but their agenda was not that.
Wait a minute why are you defending this jabroni?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Regardless of what is in PDP's heart, the rhetoric and subtext in his videos have ramifications. I don't follow him so I can't say whether he's an awful person, although I am very skeptical of his character, but people need to realize that influence is a multifaceted thing and to be aware of how what you say can be interpreted wrongly and try to correct that. While I don't care for PDP so I've never dived into the stuff surrounding him, I've gotten the impression from the snippets I've seen that he's done a poor job of it and how his career will be impacted from this might be fair.

But because I'm fairly in the dark I don't want to be super aggressive about this.

It's just a real shame what happened. 2019, we gotta be better than this.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And of course boogie is at the top of the replies with his both sides lets all work on being better horseshit.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I don't like Pewdiepie but he's not guilty just like Marilyn Manson wasn't back then. He sucks though.
Completely different situations. Pewdiepie is a gaming channel that serves as a gateway to alt-right and outright neonazi content. While we can't blame him for shooting 49 people, we can say he has served as a lightning rod for people looking for hateful content.

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
This sniveling cunt doesn't reserve the right to distance himself from this. Actions have consequences. He's culpable.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Wait a minute why are you defending this jabroni?
Becuase I disagree with the idea that he was a literal nazi. I shouldn't be but I think it is wrong.

When it comes to what has happened today, I am in agreement that his retort is mostly worthless because he didn't properly apologize or backpedal when he realized he was offending people way back when the original nazi thing happened.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Difference is that the individual doesn't intend harm on other people; example 1 is someone with an actual agenda because they hate jews or other forms of minorities and want to see the world burn, and example 2 is someone who doesn't realize it's going to create more hate but their agenda was not that.

Bananas are very slippery and you can be seriously injured slipping on one. I know this. But I still leave banana peels everywhere, not intentionally to harm others, but because I just dont give a damn. I also dont care about others telling me that I shouldnt leave those peels everywhere. People proceed to slip on my banana peels.

Person 2 leaves banana peels with harmful intent. People proceed to slip on banana peels.

People are still slipping on banana peels but 2 is worse because of intent? lol

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The right-leaning agenda is something I saw and caused me to stop watching. I just don't conflate that with literally being a nazi.

if it talks and walks and dresses like a nazi, it's a nazi.

Can you prove he's not a nazi? Because all the evidence points to it.

Difference is that the individual doesn't intend harm on other people

And what the fuck does this matter when the result is the same? Does anyone care if the guy pressing the gas button in the ovens wanted to press the fucking button or not? People were dead anyway.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Downplaying hate speech
Resetera thinking Pewdiepie is an evil nazi boogeyman is one of the most bizarre things ever.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Why does this forum trigger so many people. Jeez.
Bigotry at the very best of times incredibly normalized in the gaming community. Resetera not only is the largest gaming forum, it's also the most progressive, bigotry isn't normalized here. Convos aren't variants of "I'm a fragile fuck with no personality so i'm offended by the idea of empathy so haha trans helicopters amirite gamerz?" And it's heavily encouraged to back up the things you say if it's inflammatory, you know, that thing gamers hate doing.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seriously though: who do you guys think the nazis were?
germany was a country of tens of millions of people. There were a lot more people who were tired of political correctness, or who were dismissive and joking about the evils of the party, or who didn't really believe it but went along with it anyway, then there were moustache twirling sociopaths with skull medals on their military jackets.

"nazi" is all of the people who enable, believe in, and support a world where white supremacy takes power by any means -- not just the masterminds or cruelest individuals the masses support.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't mean to say they have but I admit I didn't know what their background was before the recent divisive times.

Then maybe fucking check what kind of people your idol allows to push their hateful, bigoted agendas using his 80 million follower platform before proclaiming he is an innocent bystander who's just being edge for the keks.
You keep defending someone who actively supports alt-right figureheads by sharing their content on his massive platform, and gives them an insane amount of power to recruit young people into their ranks.
And the fact he keeps making racist and antisemitic remarks should be, at the very least, an incredibly red flag. He shared a video of a notoriously anti-semitic channel just a few months ago. Like come on, this doesn't just keep happening by accident.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Ah, thank you for the link. I'm happy to see that thread is much more active than this one.

I just don't like it when so much of something gets pinned on a singular entity. I get it, Pewdiepie needs to do better, but goddamn am I tired of hearing his name every time something like this happens and he's only marginally connected.

Then again this is the gaming forum of Era, so I suppose it makes sense here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Bananas are very slippery and you can be seriously injured slipping one. I know this. But I still leave banana peels everywhere, not intentionally to harm others, but because I just dont give a damn. I also dont care about others telling me that I shouldnt leave those peels everywhere. People proceed to slip on my banana peels.

Person 2 leaves banana peels intentionally and with harmful intent. People proceed to slip on banana peels.

People are still slipping on banana peels but 2 is worse because of intent? lol
At least we seem to agree that he should know he has a big influence as a big voice, and that leads to placing bananas everywhere.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think the rhetoric around Pewdiepie is a little over-blown at time. I don't think he is a monster. That being said, words have consequences. Pewdiepie and his "edgy" humor was ALWAYS going to draw in people from the alt-right movement. It is absurd to say he is complicit with this mass shooting, but it is equally absurd for him to play dumb and be surprised that the type of person who would commit such an act would also be one of his followers. I doubt Pewdiepie views himself as being part of the alt-right, but I am absolutely certain that he is more than happy to court them.

Don't be surprised when the trash you have actively courted end up being some of the most vile people on earth, Pewds. Once again, I don't think he is responsible for this shooting, but he could certainly have done more to engage with his audience and encourage them to be better people. Instead of happily lapping up their praise, he could push back occasionally. Challenge them a little. He is one of the few people with a platform to maybe help enact some positive change and he has consistently fallen flat in that regard. He could make the world a better place, but instead he has chosen the path of least resistance. What a disappointment.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFS he is NOT a nazi/White supremacist/racist.

Sure he has used deeply racist language.
Sure he made anti semitic jokes.
Sure he shared content by people who are actual nazis.
Sure he follows people of very questionable morals on social media.
Sure he was liked by a nazi who went on to murder innocent people.

But those are all just coincidences. He doesnt have a racist bone in his body.

^^People actually saying that.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Downplaying hate speech
Y'all are gonna crucify me for this...but I don't think Pewdiepie deserves to have this on his conscience. That dude killed 49 people and, before doing that, announced he was a fan of this. I don't wanna be like "Fuck you Pewdiepie you are complicit" or whatever. If anything, lets hope he reevaluates the sort of company he spends his time with online and the community his fanbase has become. He doesn't deserve to be considered at fault for this. That's unfair.

Mar 8, 2018
UK
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech
Why isn't everyone also attacking Activision, Epic Games and the people being the "Gas Gas Gas" song? He played that music during what he did and also lists Fortnite and Spyro the Dragon as reasons for doing what he did. Why is it all pointed at this guy when there's a lot of other reasons he's said he did it?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth pointing out that a lot of the time (and let's especially roll back at least 5 years) while all of those people are controversial and ultimately trolls, none of them had particularly rallying viewpoints about causing violence or spreading the hate. People will always believe they are the morally justified party, and while the slippery slopes lead to hatred and bigotry, I believe a lot of people who followed them are as simple as "I don't care for all this caring in the world" which is shitty but not as shitty as "I want to spread some hate and promote violence!". I know it's shitty to even make that distinction but when people keep conflating lesser evils as being equally bad you have to set the record straight. We're human and we all err, and no one individual is worse than the people who actually take weapons in their hands and murder someone else.

Ben Shapiro has a 2014 video called: The Myth of the Tiny Radical Muslim Minority

Maybe you should check the people you try to defend before posting

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Becuase I disagree with the idea that he was a literal nazi. I shouldn't be but I think it is wrong.

When it comes to what has happened today, I am in agreement that his retort is mostly worthless because he didn't properly apologize or backpedal when he realized he was offending people way back when the original nazi thing happened.
Bro, alt tighter and Nazi share the same Idea and views. At the end of day or who cares. Like how many times one man have to show his hand until he becomes one?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Then maybe fucking check what kind of people your idol allows to push their hateful, bigoted agendas using his 80 million follower platform before proclaiming he is an innocent bystander who's just being edge for the keks.
You keep defending someone who actively supports alt-right figureheads by sharing their content on his massive platform, and gives them an insane amount of power to recruit young people into their ranks.
And the fact he keeps making racist and antisemitic remarks should be, at the very least, an incredibly red flag. He shared a video of a notoriously anti-semitic channel just a few months ago. Like come on, this doesn't just keep happening by accident.
You know, I didn't "buy" the whole sharing platform thing that much until recently. Where my 13 year old cousins kept asking if I knew Ben Shapiro.

Now admittingly youtube algorythym loves shoving his videos down everyone's throats regardless, but goddamn, that was an eye opener.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
He has been drawn in by the Jordan Peterson type of anti-wave crowd, you're right, and that must've affected his viewpoints a lot but it's still a big leap from that to saying "he's literally a nazi who spreads antisemitism, because he has a hidden nazist agenda", which is what I feel people keep saying on social media.
At the point at which people are namedropping you prior to slaughtering dozens of people, what is the difference between being perceived as a fascist and "literally" being a fascist? What is the difference between being a winky posterboy for ethnonationalism and "literally" having an ethnonationalist agenda?

What matters to the loving society most of us are trying to have is not what's in Pewdiepie's heart and mind. It's what he represents, elides, and gives cover to. Today's, that's violent Islamophobic terrorism.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't everyone also attacking Activision, Epic Games and the people being the "Gas Gas Gas" song? He played that music during what he did and also lists Fortnite and Spyro the Dragon as reasons for doing what he did. Why is it all pointed at this guy when there's a lot of other reasons he's said he did it?
It's almost like those others don't push the ideals that lead to the shooting.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are gonna crucify me for this...but I don't think Pewdiepie deserves to have this on his conscience. That dude killed 49 people and, before doing that, announced he was a fan of this. I don't wanna be like "Fuck you Pewdiepie you are complicit" or whatever. If anything, lets hope he reevaluates the sort of company he spends his time with online and the community his fanbase has become. He doesn't deserve to be considered at fault for this. That's unfair.

pewdiepie isn't any more at fault than all of the other alt right youtubers, and alt right politicians.

He's less at fault than the morally bereft companies that engineered platforms based entirely around enhancing their wealthy by signal boosting whatever kind of content was popular.

He's much less at fault than the centuries of white supremicist rhetoric and policy in western nations.

but he's definitely at fault, and he definitely deserves this on his conscience (to the extent that he has one).

This is like "having morals 101".

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017

The dude is a serious racist.
But it is very very very clear he was joking about the fortnite and spyro things. He even says that himself. dont be dense.

Pewdiepie is to blame
Reddit allowing places like the donald to exist are to blame
Twitter for allowing shapiro and others a platform is to blame
4chan 8 chan are to blame.
Twitch chat is a cancer i could blame.

This perpetuation of "trolling" culture is literally killing people. We allow racism directly, on so many platforms, and they disguise it by "joking" and "trolling".This is killing people. Take that shit seriously

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's important that you know that you're a stupid person who is needlessly trying to deflect legitimate criticism

rodrigorn_

May 16, 2018
Mexico
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory false equivalence and downplaying hate speech
What if the gunman had said: 'CALL OF DUTY IS THE BEST GAME EVER'.

Would videogames be guilty?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Can you prove he's not a nazi? Because all the evidence points to it.
The evidence being what you think of him or of the way he used nazism in some of his videos. You think he associates himself with nazism, I think he was putting on a nazi hat and using nazi sentiments ironically as his idea of a "sick meme". I know plenty people who laughed when they saw that. My mom didn't and many other people did not see the humor in it. That's where he should've stopped, and he didn't.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
A person who cannot even take the time to make a proper sympathy/empathy post isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt in return.

And that is before even factoring in the 400 pages of evidence against a guy who clearly does not care one way or the other. You could argue (incorrectly) that he isn't the enabler, but you sure as hell can say he does nothing to prevent it.

I'm also going to take "I'm sorry, I don't like <thing>, but..." as a phrase you don't care either way, too.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
care to articulate further this? in the time you have that's it.
Having a fanbase of tens of millions of people that support him, it doesn't sound like a nazi to me. A following that large is bound to result in controversy, and sure he's done some stupid things... But calling him a nazi and putting blame on him for radicalizing people when actual cesspools like 8chan exist? It's a huge jump.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He doesn't get credit for changing before he has actually changed.