• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The evidence being what you think of him or of the way he used nazism in some of his videos. You think he associates himself with nazism, I think he was putting on a nazi hat and using nazi sentiments ironically as his idea of a "sick meme". I know plenty people who laughed when they saw that. My mom didn't and many other people did not see the humor in it. That's where he should've stopped, and he didn't.
Why do you keep only focusing on this one meme while people keep pointing out the numerous ways in which Pewdiepie enables and sympathises with nazis

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
At least we seem to agree that he should know he has a big influence as a big voice, and that leads to placing bananas everywhere.

Yes we do. My question and overally point is why are you so intent on defending him when the things he does and says are one and the same with those you wouldnt have a problem with calling a Nazi? What difference does it make what label theyre given if their actions knowingly lead to the same outcome? Once again you're arguing as if you know Pewdiepie personally, if that's the case then maybe there is no changing your mind. But if not you should try thinking about this a bit more critically.

What if the gunman had said: 'CALL OF DUTY IS THE BEST GAME EVER'.

Would videogames be guilty?

How old are you? When did Call of Duty make bigoted jokes and when did Call of Duty become a singular entity capable of its own thoughts and ideas?

Lets say this is what happened? Why would we hold all of video games accountable for Call of Duty's words? To bring this back, who is doing that with Pewdiepie here, how he relates to this shooting, and the rest of youtube?

Try harder next time.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Y'all are gonna crucify me for this...but I don't think Pewdiepie deserves to have this on his conscience. That dude killed 49 people and, before doing that, announced he was a fan of this. I don't wanna be like "Fuck you Pewdiepie you are complicit" or whatever. If anything, lets hope he reevaluates the sort of company he spends his time with online and the community his fanbase has become. He doesn't deserve to be considered at fault for this. That's unfair.

Is this post ironic?

Do you know how many times PDP has been caught doing this stuff, and not once has ever actually changed?

Ever?

He 100% deserves to have this on his conscience. He has repeatedly stoked these flames for the laughs, and despite being repeatedly told about the potential consequences, chose not to change. Now we see what happens. He has to live with that.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Resetera thinking Pewdiepie is an evil nazi boogeyman is one of the most bizarre things ever.
I have always thought that PewDiePie is not necessarily a nazi, but Jesus Christ he's the most stupid testicle salad I have ever seen on the Internet. He can have millions of dollars, but can't save himself from himself and his shitty behaviour. Ok, at first, when he was younger, at his first fuck up, it would been reasonable to believe he's naive, too young to understand, unprofessional, etc.

But this is the millionth time he's once again troubled in the spotlight. He should have hired PR people, he should have used his millions to invest on his brand and don't allow himself to be associated with any of this shit, but here we are again.

Nobody is blaming PewDiePie for the attack. Main criticism of the thread is how the current meme culture has allowed behaviours like being associated to this stuff. People here are already tired to see everything justified as "is only a meme, lol".

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

call of duty has a tiny part to play in the larger political tapestry of gleefully cheering in violence against muslim "terrorists", but unlike pewdiepie call of duty doesn't promote or encourage the ideologies of white supremacy and "white genocide"

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Why isn't everyone also attacking Activision, Epic Games and the people being the "Gas Gas Gas" song? He played that music during what he did and also lists Fortnite and Spyro the Dragon as reasons for doing what he did. Why is it all pointed at this guy when there's a lot of other reasons he's said he did it?
I came in wondering very similar things. From my knowledge, PDP was someone who liked using 4chan-style trolling as humor and so of course that probably involved a jew joke here or there. Not that that is ok, but that's a far cry from this shooting. And of course he has alt right losers worshipping him, half the world's kids do.

Read the threadmarks.

What I now understand is that PDP knowingly courts these people and quite possibly engages in this type of humor BECAUSE it allows him to express himself under the guise of joking. Am I 100% sure? No. But what I do know is that Spyro and Initial D absolutely did neither of those things.

Mar 8, 2018
UK
It's almost like those others don't push the ideals that lead to the shooting.
Ah right, that's awful then

The dude is a serious racist.
But it is very very very clear he was joking about the fortnite and spyro things. He even says that himself. dont be dense.

Pewdiepie is to blame
Reddit allowing places like the donald to exist are to blame
Twitter for allowing shapiro and others a platform is to blame
4chan 8 chan are to blame.
Twitch chat is a cancer i could blame.

This perpetuation of "trolling" culture is literally killing people. We allow racism directly, on so many platforms, and they disguise it by "joking" and "trolling".This is killing people. Take that shit seriously

Jesus that's serious. What a mess this is.
It's important that you know that you're a stupid person who is needlessly trying to deflect legitimate criticism

Love you too man :) Hope you learn not to attack people for simply being uninformed and your future is bright! :)

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yes we do. My question and overally point is why are you so intent on defending him when the things he does and says are one and the same with those you wouldnt have a problem with calling a Nazi? What difference does it make what label theyre given if their actions knowingly lead to the same outcome? Once again you're arguing as if you know Pewdiepie personally, if that's the case then maybe there is no changing your mind. But if not you should try thinking about this a bit more critically.
My only personal stake in this is that I followed the guy on YouTube for years when he was below 24 (lol) and I saw how he transitioned from "Guy discovering YouTube as a lifestyle" to "guy realizing he's no longer the young and cutesy guy" at which point he started making more self-deprecating humor and intentionally trying to be edgy to see how far he could take a joke, and of course then it toppled over for him.

I won't say I know Felix behind the camera, but I feel like I saw enough of him throughout the years to be completely puzzled when people say he is a nazi. I know he is more empathetic than that.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine imagine having a conversation about how a man is not a Nazi or something like them even though they shown time and time again that they show that they thier true self.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Notice that most of these people never even mention the Mosque victims in their tweets.

They don't give a fuck about them.

PDP only worried about himself. And a decent portion of trashbags in the thread are only worried about PDP.

It's so obvious, and yet y'all try so hard to argue the opposite. People really think they smarter than everyone else.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
My only personal stake in this is that I followed the guy on YouTube for years when he was below 24 (lol) and I saw how he transitioned from "Guy discovering YouTube as a lifestyle" to "guy realizing he's no longer the young and cutesy guy" at which point he started making more self-deprecating humor and intentionally trying to be edgy to see how far he could take a joke, and of course then it toppled over for him.

I won't say I know Felix behind the camera, but I feel like I saw enough of him throughout the years to be completely puzzled when people say he is a nazi. I know he is more empathetic than that.

He doesn't have to be a nazi to be part of the problem
He enables nazis, he signal boosts nazis
even if you think he himself isnt a nazi, it should concern you by how much he supports them.

I thought Kevin Spacey was a good guy until he wasn't
I thought Nick Robinson was a good guy until he wasn't
Im sure I thought Mel Gibson was a good guy until he wasn't

We don't know anything about the people on our screens.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Y'all are gonna crucify me for this...but I don't think Pewdiepie deserves to have this on his conscience. That dude killed 49 people and, before doing that, announced he was a fan of this. I don't wanna be like "Fuck you Pewdiepie you are complicit" or whatever. If anything, lets hope he reevaluates the sort of company here spends his time with online and the community his fanbase has become. He doesn't deserve to be considered at fault for this. That's unfair.

I mean he has had an extensive history of Alt-Right support so it's basically a group he's affiliated with.

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Downplaying hate speech
Blaming pewdiepie is literally what these murdering scum wanted people and the media to do. He admits as much in his manifesto. Seeing so many in this very thread take his bait is unfortunate. Pewdiepie condemns and disavows, but it makes no difference to some

Y'all are gonna crucify me for this...but I don't think Pewdiepie deserves to have this on his conscience. That dude killed 49 people and, before doing that, announced he was a fan of this. I don't wanna be like "Fuck you Pewdiepie you are complicit" or whatever. If anything, lets hope he reevaluates the sort of company he spends his time with online and the community his fanbase has become. He doesn't deserve to be considered at fault for this. That's unfair.
Agreed.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
He doesn't have to be a nazi to be part of the problem
He enables nazis, he signal boosts nazis
even if you think he himself isnt a nazi, it should concern you by how much he supports them.
True, and again, he should've backed down long ago and heck, he should've never taken the joke to "nazi humor" in the first place.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Why isn't everyone also attacking Activision, Epic Games and the people being the "Gas Gas Gas" song? He played that music during what he did and also lists Fortnite and Spyro the Dragon as reasons for doing what he did. Why is it all pointed at this guy when there's a lot of other reasons he's said he did it?

Spyro didn't say the n-word or pay people to hold up a sign saying "Death to All Jews".

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
If only people cared as much about the consequences of behavior as the proper definition of Nazi man what a world we would be in.

People are seriously ANAL as fuck about incorrectly labeling pdp as a nazi but then don't apply the same rigorous hair splitting to what the actual consequences of his racist/antisemitic dog whistling have been, really makes you think.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. I didn't realize I hadn't actually seen the death count. I hadn't known it was so high.

And yet, still, I cannot expect that to shock enough people into action on this? I thought I felt hopeless before.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I get that you're angry, but saying the internet is the biggest mistake of humanity because this asshole terrorist streamed himself killing people is kinda silly.

Are books, music, and movies a mistake because some people use them to spread hate?

Now's not the time to be tone policing.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
New media on the whole wants all the benefits of old media whilst taking none of the responsibility that (most) of old media had.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a man follows Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro and many more famous Alt-Righters known for spreading hate, makes a collaboration directly with at least one of them, allows his image to be used by a neo-nazi site without protest... I mean...

Alt-right are the new 'Nazis' , that doesn't mean they are strict Nazis in the pure sense of the word.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This fucking site. Between the Michael Jackson or Pewdiepie defense forces, this place is getting every bit as bad as sites like 8chan.
Please do your jobs mods. We don't need these kinds of toxic people on this site. Let's try to make this a place that doesn't defend racists and child rapists please.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Pewdiepie is a neo-nazi anti-semite. I think he's a shitface 4chan poster who conveys edgy political incorrect humour that only teenagers and basement dwellers enjoy. Both scenarios, however, embolden actual white supremacists, so whether he's doing it intentionally or not is besides the point.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I know he is more empathetic than that.

The thing is that, no, you really dont. You can't ever glean who someone really is from what they post on Youtube. It doesnt matter how long youve followed them. The fact that you believe you do(assuming you're being truthful about not knowing him personally) speaks a whole lot to your maturity. And even if you did know him, personally or online, people change.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At what point, does it stop being irony?
Is it when you perform the Hitler Salute?
Is it when you say "Death to all jews?
Is it when you choose to dress up like a Nazi?
Is it when you decide to hang out with alt-righters and nazis?

If you participate in a nazi march, is that irony?
If you gun down muslims, is that irony?

We've literally gone down this path now where *anything* a nazi does is apparently ironic.
"Don't read that terrorists manifesto, he was just being ironic!"
Because they can't just easily admit that they actually believe the shit they spew.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Full disclosure: I think Ethan is a complete and total shithead. He propagates the same bullshit that the rest of them do.

I understand where you and others are coming from and the more I think about it, I was probably wrong and there were probably ulterior motives to their comments, but I agree with that basic message of not giving press to shooters. It's a long standing belief I've had and I was a bit blinded by it. There's definitely a challenge between discussing motive with a shooter while not giving them the press and coverage that they 1) Desire, 2) Might influence someone else to perform a similar violent act.
Yeah sorry for overreacting a bit, but yeah we should find a way to discuss the shooter's influences, and motives without giving too much attention to the person themselves.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The evidence being what you think of him or of the way he used nazism in some of his videos. You think he associates himself with nazism, I think he was putting on a nazi hat and using nazi sentiments ironically as his idea of a "sick meme". I know plenty people who laughed when they saw that. My mom didn't and many other people did not see the humor in it. That's where he should've stopped, and he didn't.

You have a series of posts over a series of pages insisting that he's not really a nazi, when all evidence points to the contrary. Dozens of people have replied to you with this evidence, which you dismiss. From my perspective, the only person who knows what's in shitpie's heart is shitpie himself. So i ask again, do you have any evidence that shitpie is not a nazi? Do you know him in real life? Or are you just a complete fool that looks at an internet stranger and decides that you can read his mind? Because the alternative from being a fool here is to also be a nazi defending his comrade. Which is it?

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have a series of posts over a series of pages insisting that he's not really a nazi, when all evidence points to the contrary. Dozens of people have replied to you with this evidence, which you dismiss. From my perspective, the only person who knows what's in shitpie's heart is shitpie himself. So i ask again, do you have any evidence that shitpie is not a nazi? Do you know him in real life? Or are you just a complete fool that looks at an internet stranger and decides that you can read his mind? Because the alternative from being a fool here is to also be a nazi defending his comrade. Which is it?
The poster got got

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Pewdiepie condemns and disavows, but it makes no difference to some

I mean it doesn't make a difference because this is a repeated pattern of him making edgy tryhard jokes, immediately going on the defense of "it's just a joke bro I mean come on "death to all jews" lol isn't it funny", and then repeating once the media is off his back.

It happens over, and over, and over, and over, and now that his actions may have led to someone actually murdering people, NOW is the time when it's unfair to criticize him for doing this.

Like fuck off.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I know about it yea, but I did not know about pewdiepie himself being the way he is. I got replies answering my question properly and then you attacking me. But you're free to think what you want of course
The information was still all here and you still chose to just ignorantly post "well but what about Spyro", contributing absolutely nothing other than to derail the conversation, either ignorantly or intentionally. With how much you knew about the shooting I really, really don't think it was out of ignorance

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pewdiepie condemns and disavows, but it makes no difference to some

Yet he doesn't outright condemn the agendas of bigotry/hate that white supremacists are peddling.
Yet he doesn't disavow and unfollow the alt-right thought leaders that he follows on Twitter.
Yet he manages to make little "mistakes" like sharing videos from a notoriously anti-semitic channel, or making fun at the expense of Jews, every few months.

I mean gee, how could one possibly make a connection that a person whose name was used as a rallying cry for a terrorist attack, and who keeps pushing the ideas of islamophobes as valid and normalizes antisemitic rhetoric by dehumanizing Jews over and over could be somehow related to radicalizing this guy?