• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
TFW people think the internet man is their friend so they defend him by saying "he's not a nazi, he's just dumb."
It's just a meme is the new "but it's just muh opinion".
Do all gaming Youtubers lack this much self awareness?
It's cause they don't have to care. They're mostly white angry man children that never have faced the same institutional injustices others face. People will forever deflect any and all shitty behavior just because it wasn't them directly, cause not one of them wants to live in a world where they would have to hold themselves to higher public standards.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
PDP has blood on his hands.

All the Alt-Right trolls and assholes do.

They can't hide from it or disavow responsibility.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My only personal stake in this is that I followed the guy on YouTube for years when he was below 24 (lol) and I saw how he transitioned from "Guy discovering YouTube as a lifestyle" to "guy realizing he's no longer the young and cutesy guy" at which point he started making more self-deprecating humor and intentionally trying to be edgy to see how far he could take a joke, and of course then it toppled over for him.

I won't say I know Felix behind the camera, but I feel like I saw enough of him throughout the years to be completely puzzled when people say he is a nazi. I know he is more empathetic than that.

I mean, the guy literally gave Nazi salutes, screamed about rape at the top of his lungs in his videos, compared Leslie Jones to 'Harambe', and gave many other alt-right signaling hints. If somebody you knew in 'real life' did this, I'm sure (or at least I hope,) you'd think something is a little off. When is enough enough?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Skillups channel too.

Why does this forum trigger so many people. Jeez.
Honestly, this always came to mind when I would see people bitching about this place (or Gaf before it) on Reddit/Twitter/literally any other place.

17944ba2c5d0ae2c4465efd6f7043eab.jpg

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Can you state your point directly? I genuinely don't understand your post

PDP at no point "tells" people to go murder muslims or other minorities (thus, not a "nazi")

PDP loves to joke about nazis and white supremacy and their actions, without ever actually condemning those things unless forced to do so (#1 with nazis)

So trying to argue that we shouldn't hold this against PDP because he's not a nazi and should have the chance to change is deflecting from the fact that he helped cultivate this and was given the chance to change multiple times over.

FOX News is famous for this, because while it's rare for anyone on air to actively state something overtly racist (and they typically end up issuing an apology when someone does), they constantly report and talk about the actions of these people without ever directly condemning them, while also being subtly racist in a plausibly deniable way.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Can you state your point directly? I genuinely don't understand your post

The point is that if your audience is comprised of abhorrent individuals and you don't stop to reflect on why that might be, odds are in some way you are cultivating that crowd. I'm not even going to get into the racial slur he said on stream, the antisemitic jokes, or the platform he provided an outright racist YouTube channel, at the very least PewDiePie certainly is aware that a whole lot of alt right types look up to him, so why doesn't that bother him? If I had a YouTube channel that constantly got praise from racists, I would certainly take the time to openly denounce them and genuinely think about my content and why it was attractive to those kind of people. PewDiePie continues to wink and nod to them instead.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[
Blaming pewdiepie is literally what these murdering scum wanted people and the media to do. He admits as much in his manifesto. Seeing so many in this very thread take his bait is unfortunate. Pewdiepie condemns and disavows, but it makes no difference to some

Agreed.
you mean the same man that has shown time and time again that he is pro alt right?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Blaming pewdiepie is literally what these murdering scum wanted people and the media to do. He admits as much in his manifesto. Seeing so many in this very thread take his bait is unfortunate. Pewdiepie condemns and disavows, but it makes no difference to some

Of course PewDiePie should not have to carry on his mind any of the killings. The point of this discussion is that he allows the current meme culture and mentality to keep spreading, he gives it a platform. For people like PDP, and the people he enables and follows him, doing jokes about nazis and jews are just that, jokes. So as long as we keep harrassing and hate as "joking" and "trolling" there's no harm.

Millions of people follow the dude, he is a role model. Nevertheless, since his first fuck up, he never truly apologized, he blamed the media, people defended him it was "a joke". He has this power to do good, influence a lot of people, yet he keeps acting naive and almost never addresses or distances himself from his toxic audience, the one HE ENABLES. And this things and associations keep happening time and time again.

I can totally understand people being frustrated and tired to see this pattern, this behaviour repeating over and over again. He can condem the act and disavows all he wants, but until he truly takes a stance (which he's never gonna do cause his toxic fanbase keep the money pouring) nothing is gonna change, I can assure you than in 6 months we are gonna have this same discussion once again.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the guy literally gave Nazi salutes, screamed about rape at the top of his lungs in his videos, compared Leslie Jones to 'Harambe', and gave many other alt-right signaling hints. If somebody you knew in 'real life' did this, I'm sure (or at least I hope,) you'd think something is a little off. When is enough enough?
There's no use. He's reached the point where he can literally do anything and his followers won't turn on him.

Like dude called a random person a nigger yet you(poster you responded to) still wants to be associated with him

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Ah yes PDP is the real victim here. /s

There's consequences for everything and he's now seeing them. Play with those who believe in ethnic cleansing and murder and this is what you get. He better retire his channel and go away forever.

Feb 2, 2019
Yep, disappointed. Completely disappointed by him. I didn't know about all those controversies. I thought it was about being dumb in front of camera or being paid to feature video games in his videos... What a sad rabbit hole.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just all be absolute shit to each other because we can always say at the end "it was just a meme dooooooods".

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Can we at least hope advertisers ask YouTube to pull their ads from PDP's channel
Did something like this not already happen? Didn't his network that managed his adverts and are owned by Disney drop him? Is he in a new network now or going it alone on Google adwords? Does that mean Google have to drop him or can advertisers individually block adverts from appearing on his channel?

Sorry so many questions.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's consequences for everything and he's now seeing them. Play with those who believe in ethnic cleansing and murder and this is what you get.

Yup.
If you support and peddle ethnic cleansing and murder, you shouldn't be surprised that at some point, you're going to get ethnic cleansing and murder with your name attached to it.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Would be nice for the site to have an official banned list.

I feel like people tried before here and the argument at the time was they were being "ironically" toxic and it wasn't an issue.

Which in itself is also incredibly ironic given the discussion of how normalizing this sort of content is what led to this.

Edit: Dualshockers needs to take a bit of flack for their writer there too.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
One time I went to visit my parents, and walking by their neighbor's house, I noticed some pieces of paper taped to their mailbox, a tree, and several other things. Curious, I read one, and in a childish scrawl it said "subscribe to Pewdiepie".

I hope that kid's parents see the news today and have some serious concerns about what their kid is so passionate about.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True same motherfuckers defending Pew, by "just asking questions bro!" Or "he's not responsible!" Etc etc

Wouldn't give the same benefit of the doubt to marginalized groups.

Y'all are suspect as fuk

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
This is the problem that a lot of guys can't see: those little "jokes" about serious subjects are seeds that find fertile soil in the heads of many people.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Sadly, this will probably have no effect on his viewership, which will probably continue to increase.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
I don't know how I'd feel if I on some level had inspired a mass shooter, but it's important to recognise inspiration isn't direct responsibility, but it's also as important to criticise PewDiePie's previous actions and response to this. If I found that there were any link between myself and a mass shooter, I'd be doing everything I possibly could to denounce his ideals and racism. So far, PewDiePie's only response has been to say he feels sickened to have had his name mentioned by this person, and that his thoughts go out to those impacted. Now admittedly he could be in the process of planning or doing other actions, some sort of charity appeal or whatever, but at the moment this response seems weak. And that seems apparent when he has to deal with other accusations of anti-antisemitism and racism.

He needs to publicly denounce the shooter and his actions through his YouTube channel, his largest platform, and tell viewers that he never wants to be associated with this. Because he has coddled to this 4Chan-style of humour and brushes off accusations of racism and so forth like a joke.

PewDiePie is not the reason the shooter did what he did, but his videos and jokes haved normalised the views that this shooter had, which does make him complicit, how much so I couldn't say.

If I were PewDiePie I'd be using this immense intention on myself to raise money and awareness and support for the victims.

This isn't taking into account the other reason why the shooter mentioned PewDiePie in his video and manifesto.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There's no use. He's reached the point where he can literally do anything and his followers won't turn on him.

Like dude called a random person a nigger yet you(poster you responded to) still wants to be associated with him

Its just so bizzare to me. Not to be an 'old man yelling at clouds', but I wonder if it's a generational thing. In my teenage years AOL was just coming into play, I spent more time socalizing in real life in my teens than on the internet, and I firmly believe that being online all the time (and not seeing people in person) just chips away at your mental defenses so that these kids don't know what's what anymore. Someone posted in this thread or another that their 13-year old relative asked them if they knew who Ben Shapiro was . . . that's terrifying. Especially when it's coming from a still-developing mind.

Oct 26, 2017

Because his condemnation is fucking hollow. Why are you so damn dense? This is the same guy who lacked such awareness that he promoted anti-semitic channel simply because he "liked his anime review" without thinking about the overall implications of that channel's content. The same guy who promoted Ben Shapiro in his channel. And the same guy who paid people to put up a "Death to all Jews" sign because "HAHA GUYS IT'S JUST AN EDGY JOKE ABOUT OUR WORLD!!!!! HAHA I'M NOT THINKING ABOUT HOW I'M NORMALIZING HATE SPEECH." And yet, we're supposed to believe that Pewdiepie just gets it this time? Yeah no.

His repeated acts of nonsense have time and time proved that Pewdiepie doesn't give a shit about what's happening in the world around him. So really, he's not going to give a shit about innocent muslims that were gunned down by a psychopath.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Surprising no one, research has shown that "joking" about bigotry normalizes and spreads it, even with shallow deflections of "it's just a joke"
https://theconversation.com/psychology-behind-the-unfunny-consequences-of-jokes-that-denigrate-63855

But of course, idiots only think in black and white and must jump to the defense of their precious funny video man, unable to see beyond their nose. Well, except those for whom cruelty is the feature, not a bug - they know how it works.

There is a quote from a literal neo-nazi somewhere on the net about how useful it is when people joke about Nazism. How it helps them spread their ideology and slide their way into young people's consciousness.

I can't for the life of me find it now, it may even be directly linked to one of PDP's past gaffs.

Edit- OK, found it.

https://www.newstatesman.com/scienc...e-pepe-how-ironic-nazism-taking-over-internet

PewDiePie – the most subscribed content creator on YouTube – was dropped by Disney after the Wall Street Journal exposed an array of anti-Semitic comments in his videos. In the past, he has spoken out against the media for misrepresenting his "jokes", but this time he wrote a blog post in which he admitted: "I understand that these jokes were ultimately offensive." What changed?

What changed is that PewDiePie was confronted with a reality that anti-hate campaigners have long since known to be true. After his anti-Semitic videos, PewDiePie was embraced by the neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer, which is now calling itself "The world's #1 PewDiePie Fansite." PewDiePie has learnt a truth that many of the "just joking" brigade frequently try to deny – that satire, irony, and jokes can validate and legitimise hate speech in a way that helps it to spread.

So he has had a Nazi website promote and his name directly linked to a mass shooting. Will he learn?

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
PewDiePie is a white supremacist and actively promotes violence and hateful views against specific types of people. It doesn't matter if they makes a post condemning the attacks but whether if he is sincere about it. Which he obviously is not. He cares nothing for the victims and he knows that the attack carries out his world view.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when he was normalizing nazi imagery on his channel, the media called him out on it and he went full "traditional scummy media hates me" instead of reflecting on what he did and then many people we were concerned, on the old site, about the message and influence he had and how not reflecting on it was dangerous and some people went ultradefensive mode because "he's not a nazi, traditional media is demonizing it"?

Yeah,good times.