• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
When pewdiepie first started doing those "jokes" I defended him. I had hung out with people into bigoted humour because they wanted to be edgy. So I gave Pewdiepie the benefit of the doubt. Then he said the n word and again I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But then he just kept going. Promoting literaly nazi channels.
At one point the sad reality that shitty people exist and are all around you just sinks in.
I'm mad at myself for wanting to believe there was good in most people. The more news comes the more that seems untrue.
Fuck you pewdiepie. Fuck your shitty apology.

Highjax

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (permanent): downplaying hate speech
Have you guys seen anything about the manifesto? I don't like or care for PDP but the shooter had a ton of sarcasm, irony, memes, racism, facism, shitposting etc. in it. He even had the damn navy seal copy pasta in it and mentioned Spyro and Fortnite. Before we all jump on PDP, lets be real and admit that this dude was straight up crazy lunatic and had loads of internet culture spread throughout his manifesto, with 8chan posts etc. probably so people all have this same reaction to nearly anything he mentioned and try to pin blame on any one person when its a crazy huge list. PDP needs to just disappear after this.

ilium

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
fb6.png

Nov 20, 2017
I think maybe one of the most tragic things is what fucking value does PDP bring to people or the world? (Yes yes I know the big answer is 'normalise shitty opinions and act as a gateway to deeper bigotry). Scratch part of your lizard brain if you're mentally 10, I guess? It is really minimal, low quality 'entertainment' value. At this point people are just defending him for the sake of defending him?

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this will be the thing that finally makes PDP realize the shit he spews matters and can cause people to do things.

I don't think the guy is mature enough to realize the kind of power he has with his channel.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys seen anything about the manifesto? I don't like or care for PDP but the shooter had a ton of sarcasm, irony, memes, racism, facism, shitposting etc. in it. He even had the damn navy seal copy pasta in it and mentioned Spyro and Fortnite. Before we all jump on PDP, lets be real and admit that this dude was straight up crazy lunatic and had loads of internet culture spread throughout his manifesto, with 8chan posts etc. probably so people all have this same reaction to nearly anything he mentioned and try to pin blame on any one person when its a crazy huge list. PDP needs to just disappear after this.

11 posts.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think maybe one of the most tragic things is what fucking value does PDP bring to people or the world? (Yes yes I know the big answer is 'normalise shitty opinions and act as a gateway to deeper bigotry). Scratch part of your lizard brain if you're mentally 10, I guess? It is really minimal, low quality 'entertainment' value. At this point people are just defending him for the sake of defending him?
  1. The funny internet man is their friend.
  2. They agree with him and are excited he is saying and normalizing the things that they are not allowed to say.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's not insane,he's a byproduct of the meme alt-right culture, a terrorist, the names on the weapons had the names of well known fascist killers.

'He's insane' is a simplystic way out to absolve all the alt-right assholes has done in the last years, which has been spread hate and normalize toxic behavior against minorities.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this will be the thing that finally makes PDP realize the shit he spews matters and can cause people to do things.

I don't think the guy is mature enough to realize the kind of power he has with his channel.

Nah, he knows exactly what he's doing.

I don't think the people giving Felix the benefit of the doubt have watched enough of his shit content.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
User banned (1 month): downplaying hate speech
I've followed PDP for a while (still a tolerant leftist progressive in a likewise country, don't worry), feel like PewDiePie often goes for a South Park kind of edgy humor. People who denounce PewDiePie, do you also denounce the writers of South Park, e.g. for spreading and making light of anti-semitism and racism?

Not making an implicit point here beyond that I think it's pretty similar. I'm genuinely interested in how you compare this material to PDP.

Deleted member 19213

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch his videos nor do I follow him. Even before he was controversial, the rare video I'd see of him, I did not find funny in the slightest. His humor is trash and on the level of someone like "Fred" from 10 or so years ago. Difference being PDP is more offensive.

Lately, I think he has tried to be edgy and push boundaries, and his "jokes" went far past any reasonable line. When he paid those people in a third world country to utter ridiculous shit, I felt he was dead wrong and not funny. I feel he's trying to be edgy. With that said, I do not believe that he is proud or happy that this shooting occurred, and I believe he is sickened that he somehow affected such a horrific tragedy. It's not fair to blame him.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Man, it must be really easy to get a Resetera Alt-account. Every time there is a thread like this they come out of the woodwork....

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Remember how people on 4chan and reddit *hated* Pewdiepie because he was dumb and they didn't think he was funny, and then they rallied around him when he got in trouble for being racist and antisemitic? He knows what he's doing, don't ever excuse his behaviour as him being dumb or immature

do you also denounce the writers of South Park, e.g. for spreading and making light of anti-semitism and racism?
Yes, of course. If this is meant to be some kind of gotcha question it's a bad one

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I've followed PDP for a while (still a tolerant leftist progressive in a likewise country, don't worry), feel like PewDiePie often goes for a South Park kind of edgy humor. People who denounce PewDiePie, do you also denounce the writers of South Park, e.g. for spreading and making light of anti-semitism and racism?

Not making an implicit point here beyond that I think it's pretty similar. I'm genuinely interested in how you compare this material to PDP.

South Park mostly punches up with its themes and characters. There's a tact to most of what they do and while they've slipped up every now and again, they've garnered a reputation for jabbing everyone they possibly can.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thx for answering, I had never thought of SP like that, but in that case I can see where your reaction to PDP comes from. Not a gotcha.
It's okay, it's just kind of difficult to parse who is and isn't posting in bad faith. I personally think that you can make a direct link from the apathetic centrism of South Park to the radicalisation of the alt-right, but that's probably wildly off topic

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

South Park is not a show without problems and imagery, but South Park, at least, can be described as transgressive in which they aim to everywhere and everyone. It has a component of social critique to some degree.

PDP humour is vacuous of any meaning and thus simply normalizing toxic behavior and imagery. 'is just a joke, bro' is not really humour, is banalizing fascism and thus making it socially acceptable.

And most of all, they don't have Ben Shapiro as a special guest on their show.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thx for answering, I had never thought of SP like that, but in that case I can see where your reaction to PDP comes from. Not a gotcha.

I was a big fan of SP in its first few seasons, both me and the show were different back then. I grew up a little and the show grew down a lot. It used to mostly punch up until it didn't.

And the world also changed in the meantime, nazis weren't mainstream like they almost are now.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
He's not insane,he's a byproduct of the meme alt-right culture, a terrorist, the names on the weapons had the names of well known fascist killers.

'He's insane' is a simplystic way out to absolve all the alt-right assholes has done in the last years, which has been spread hate and normalize toxic behavior against minorities.

I agree with you.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is such a horrible tragedy. Pewdiepie can try and distance himself but he signals supremacy pretty regularly. He's a coward.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay, it's just kind of difficult to parse who is and isn't posting in bad faith. I personally think that you can make a direct link from the apathetic centrism of South Park to the radicalisation of the alt-right, but that's probably wildly off topic

I don't think it's a leap or off topic. South park is clearly reactionary -- it came out swinging with transgressive humor largely directed at norms with people of color, jews, etc, in an era where "political correctness" (ie, a baseline level of respect for marginalized people) was growing in success.

The parallels between the mainstream explosion of fascistic 4chan humor on youtube and similar platforms during the obama years and the bigoted, anti gay and racist "all in good fun, for the white people!" south park humor during the clinton years would be striking if it wasn't a pattern that had been repeated since the dawn of creative media.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo fuck Pewdiepie fans. I mention him once in a tweet and his fans literally swarm my mentions with bullshit. Somebody even tried to get into my account. I only have 80 followers.

vahlorie

Oct 26, 2017
Really didn't want to believe he was an intentionally malicious person but at this point he's either incredibly naive or feigning it.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Yeah, I'm not directly blaming PDP for this but the truth is he signals to white supremacy for the lolz and does a lot of damage. I'm not saying he isn't allowed to use his free speech but it goes both ways, he's free to be disgusting if he wants but he has to take a portion of the blame when shit like this happens.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i too take a stand against white supremecy by saying a lot of antisemetic things and then inviting ben shapiro on my show, to my audience of millions. This is a normal, healthy way for a far left activist to behave.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe all the hate for Pewdiepie in this thread. It's ridiculous. What you all don't understand is that he's just joking. He's literally still just a dude in his bedroom making funny youtube videos, he doesn't care if he has 10 subs or 90 million. He's gonna keep doing what he's doing. It's bullshit that y'all think he could be responsible because he makes jokes. The very fact that they are jokes discourages anything like this; you all that are hating act like he actually inspires people to do things like this. He's literally making fun of people that think that way; that's the essence of the joke. The shooter obviously did this just to take down Pewdiepie; it's so easy to get people to attack someone like this. This likely will end him, btw. So y'all are helping the shooter check off an item on his bucket list. Yes, I'm slightly exaggerating, don't be a moron.

PS: Don't @ me.
Not sure if serious...

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
There is a quote from a literal neo-nazi somewhere on the net about how useful it is when people joke about Nazism. How it helps them spread their ideology and slide their way into young people's consciousness.

I can't for the life of me find it now, it may even be directly linked to one of PDP's past gaffs.

Edit- OK, found it.

https://www.newstatesman.com/scienc...e-pepe-how-ironic-nazism-taking-over-internet

PewDiePie – the most subscribed content creator on YouTube – was dropped by Disney after the Wall Street Journal exposed an array of anti-Semitic comments in his videos. In the past, he has spoken out against the media for misrepresenting his "jokes", but this time he wrote a blog post in which he admitted: "I understand that these jokes were ultimately offensive." What changed?

What changed is that PewDiePie was confronted with a reality that anti-hate campaigners have long since known to be true. After his anti-Semitic videos, PewDiePie was embraced by the neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer, which is now calling itself "The world's #1 PewDiePie Fansite." PewDiePie has learnt a truth that many of the "just joking" brigade frequently try to deny – that satire, irony, and jokes can validate and legitimise hate speech in a way that helps it to spread.

So he has had a Nazi website promote and his name directly linked to a mass shooting. Will he learn?
Oh sure. "It's just a joke, gosh" has always rung hollow, but again, there's really no reasoning with these people - they're either blind, willing evil, or both.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe all the hate for Pewdiepie in this thread. It's ridiculous. What you all don't understand is that he's just joking. He's literally still just a dude in his bedroom making funny youtube videos, he doesn't care if he has 10 subs or 90 million. He's gonna keep doing what he's doing. It's bullshit that y'all think he could be responsible because he makes jokes. The very fact that they are jokes discourages anything like this; you all that are hating act like he actually inspires people to do things like this. He's literally making fun of people that think that way; that's the essence of the joke. The shooter obviously did this just to take down Pewdiepie; it's so easy to get people to attack someone like this. This likely will end him, btw. So y'all are helping the shooter check off an item on his bucket list. Yes, I'm slightly exaggerating, don't be a moron.

"I don't understand normalization and will refuse to think about anything beyond funny video man"

Lol ok apologist.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017