• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe all the hate for Pewdiepie in this thread. It's ridiculous. What you all don't understand is that he's just joking. He's literally still just a dude in his bedroom making funny youtube videos, he doesn't care if he has 10 subs or 90 million. He's gonna keep doing what he's doing. It's bullshit that y'all think he could be responsible because he makes jokes. The very fact that they are jokes discourages anything like this; you all that are hating act like he actually inspires people to do things like this. He's literally making fun of people that think that way; that's the essence of the joke. The shooter obviously did this just to take down Pewdiepie; it's so easy to get people to attack someone like this. This likely will end him, btw. So y'all are helping the shooter check off an item on his bucket list. Yes, I'm slightly exaggerating, don't be a moron.

PS: Don't @ me.

you're a massive fucking idiot for getting this defensive over the suggestion that someone who has a massive platform should occasionally reflect on how they use it

as a joke tho, no ban please just joking

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech.
What if the gunman had said: 'CALL OF DUTY IS THE BEST GAME EVER'.

Would videogames be guilty?

There are many outlets around the world debating if Fornite could have inspired the way he portrayed the act...

It's just mesmerizing to me how people are capable to make death trivial in order to use it as a weapon towards things they dislike instead of focusing on the important matter, a supremacist terrorism act and the escalating movement from those people, who are less and less scared from executing these acts and thanks to the internet are establishing connections across countries while gaining presence in actual governments thanks to conservative parties doing all they can to keep in charge and plundering their countries.

With this thread resetEra is proving to be no different, putting the focus of this tragedy in fucking pewdiepie, especially after he's condoned the tragedy... It's upsetting. I don't even understand how moderation has allowed the title to be this, in the most sensationalist and judgemental fashion possible.
And before someone comes with that bullshit about "we talk about him because we are a gaming forum", no. This is just a distasteful way to use a tragedy to keep the hate on him.

Some should take a look at themselves and think if their not becoming what they're fighting against...

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe all the hate for Pewdiepie in this thread. It's ridiculous. What you all don't understand is that he's just joking. He's literally still just a dude in his bedroom making funny youtube videos, he doesn't care if he has 10 subs or 90 million. He's gonna keep doing what he's doing. It's bullshit that y'all think he could be responsible because he makes jokes. The very fact that they are jokes discourages anything like this; you all that are hating act like he actually inspires people to do things like this. He's literally making fun of people that think that way; that's the essence of the joke. The shooter obviously did this just to take down Pewdiepie; it's so easy to get people to attack someone like this. This likely will end him, btw. So y'all are helping the shooter check off an item on his bucket list. Yes, I'm slightly exaggerating, don't be a moron.

Forgot to add that the terrorist just used PewDiePie as way to gain more attention and somehow putting the media against him again.

There are many outlets around the world debating if Fornite could have inspired the way he portrayed the act...

It's just mesmerizing to me how people are capable to make death trivial in order to use it as a weapon towards things they dislike instead of focusing on the important matter, a supremacist terrorism act and the escalating movement from those people, who are less and less scared from executing these acts and thanks to the internet are establishing connections across countries while gaining presence in actual governments thanks to conservative parties doing all they can to keep in charge and plundering their countries.

With this thread resetEra is proving to be no different, putting the focus of this tragedy in fucking pewdiepie, especially after he's condoned the tragedy... It's upsetting. I don't even understand how moderation has allowed the title to be this, in the most sensationalist and judgemental fashion possible.
And before someone comes with that bullshit about "we talk about him because we are a gaming forum", no. This is just a distasteful way to use a tragedy to keep the hate on him.

Some should take a look at themselves and think if their not becoming what they're fighting against...

Mate, what are you talking about? Nobody is blaming PewDiePie on this attacks, all that's being said is that people like him enable this terrible meme culture of "just jokes bro" and normalizing hate speech and white supremacy. We would love to be talking about other stuff, the victims, and so, but it's not our fault that the memes have gone so far he got mentioned on a fucking terrorist attack video.

Oct 26, 2017

You could have just saved yourself the letters and write "I am a massive dumbass."

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've followed PDP for a while (still a tolerant leftist progressive in a likewise country, don't worry), feel like PewDiePie often goes for a South Park kind of edgy humor. People who denounce PewDiePie, do you also denounce the writers of South Park, e.g. for spreading and making light of anti-semitism and racism?

Not making an implicit point here beyond that I think it's pretty similar. I'm genuinely interested in how you compare this material to PDP.

South Park is making fun of idiots like that, not agreeing and encouraging them. Matt and Trey have consistently said that most of the people in the show are idiots and shouldn't be looked up to, and the show openly says that it shouldn't be watched by anyone, ever. Beyond that the big difference is that while they may reference these kinds of things, which is absolutely shitty and can go beyond satire, they aren't explicitly encouraging a culture of attacking and brigading people. Matt and Trey have never told their fans to start a war with a competitor's show, they've never hosted far right personalities to collaborate with them, and they've never used that same kind of seriously toxic humor to defend themselves when pressed about their toxicity.

South Park has certainly contributed to this larger ironic toxic meme culture that helps radicalize disenfranchised people but they've never weaponized it like PDP and similar influencer figures

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Yeah, I'm not directly blaming PDP for this but the truth is he signals to white supremacy for the lolz and does a lot of damage. I'm not saying he isn't allowed to use his free speech but it goes both ways, he's free to be disgusting if he wants but he has to take a portion of the blame when shit like this happens.

I do not think he's the problem per se. It is more of a byproduct of a right-wing culture that makes sensitive subjects joking. And you have no idea of the real consequences of the speech.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

You have made all of 3 non-Nintendo related posts in the entire history of you being on this site. If you had stuck with that, you might have survived. Instead, you decided you needed to drop this steaming load of shit in here.

Also

TheEpic_Crusader
TheEpic_Crusader
TheEpic_Crusader
TheEpic_Crusader

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Currently reading some Twitter messages like "oh Felix it's not your fault, he could've named any random person...". Well, I really wonder why the terrorist didn't mention another person then. Imagine being dense enough to defend PDP as if he cares to begin with. He's a millionaire in a mansion who is so disconnected from reality that he doesn't care about anything.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Oct 26, 2017
I find it utterly galling that the right wing and pdp fans are saying this was to cause divisions. Like how the fuck can you have such little self awareness.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't care if this is satire or not, fuck you either way frankly. Cannot believe some of the posts here.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

This is some vapid attempt at mental gymnastics. No one who is outraged at Pewdiepie's right wing promotion is trivializing death. These all too frequent tragedies are WHY they want to see moderation against such deplorable messaging. The killer was radicalized over the internet, and the people decrying Pewdiepie only want to see his hateful sentiment be deplatformed; it serves as a stepping stone into extremism. It's also abhorrent, and should have been removed from the platform years ago. None of this thread's conversation has in any way diminished the responsibility of the killer.

Everything you're saying is wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Currently reading some Twitter messages like "oh Felix it's not your fault, he could've named any random person...". Well, I really wonder why the terrorist didn't mention another person then. Imagine being dense enough to defend PDP as if he cares to begin with. He's a millionaire in a mansion who is so disconnected from reality that he doesn't care about anything.

He mentioned Candice Owens, who by the way is somehow managing to handle this a lot worse than PDP.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

There's a real fine line between idiocy and sarcasm, and I have no dang idea where this falls.

TheEpic_Crusader

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile

You know this is a forum right?

There´s another thread to discuss the attacks, this thread is to discuss about PewDiePie, and how he has enbled some of this.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Sorry, off-topic.
Just want to say a big thanks to whoever came up with this 'threadmarks' thing in the 2.0 forum design. It's brilliant, allows me to see the salient posts pointing out how toxic this YouTuber can be.

Back on topic, Google/YouTube needs to take a firmer stance on these people that amplify hate groups and contribute to this manifesto of hate. Not everything has to be about a quick buck. Read the riot act to these people !

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, fuck that distance attempt. Also disgusted yet not surprised at all the shit particles sticking together on social media in an attempt to defend and deflect from their own actions.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's very important to be self reflective during a tragedy like this, and that reflection must include appreciation of the environment, and the culture, and the politics that enabled the tragedy to happen. That absolutely includes PDP, who promotes white supremey from a very powerful, normalizing platform.

From a famous MLK Speech on victims of an attack:

They say to each of us, black and white alike, that we must substitute courage for caution. They say to us that we must be concerned not merely about who murdered them, but about the system, the way of life, the philosophy which produced the murderers. Their death says to us that we must work passionately and unrelentingly for the realization of the American dream.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With this thread resetEra is proving to be no different, putting the focus of this tragedy in fucking pewdiepie

[...]

Hey, maybe you ought to look in the Offtopic boards first and see that there's a much bigger thread about the shooting itself before making silly clai- ooohhhhh!
Oh, you're just dogwhistling? OK then, nevermind!

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
That's really the key. He could have mentioned anyone else but he didn't. He happened to mention one of the most successful YTubers in the world who is infamous for anti-Semetic jokes and who pals around with some of the alt-rights biggest "intellectuals". He could have mentioned David Bowie or sent shout outs to Dumbo the Elephant or said a cheer for Aunt Gretchen in Butte, Montana. But the difference is those people wouldn't have a history of feeding into the rhetoric that galvanizes people like these killers.

Oct 30, 2017
It's amazing how tragedies like this lead to spring cleaning on this site because scum decide to crawl out of the woodworks to defend the stupidest shit. PDP and his supporters can go fuck themselves for all I care. No amount of goalpost moving or handwaving can dismiss the fact that PDP's pathetic contributions to the internet have led to times like these.

Oct 25, 2017
instead of focusing on the important matter, a supremacist terrorism act and the escalating movement from those people, who are less and less scared from executing these acts and thanks to the internet are establishing connections across countries while gaining presence in actual governments thanks to conservative parties doing all they can to keep in charge and plundering their countries.

That's exactly what people are discussing here, the role Pewdiepie has in escalating white supremecy and making those that adhere to it less scared to spread it themselves.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next time when companies pull ads on YouTube, all these YouTuber fucknutz will scream "BUT MAH FREEDOM!" while still endorsing hate or not speakout against it. Fuck all of them.

We truly live in a time where nobody feels responsible for their actions and where companies don't held them accountable for it.

Oct 26, 2017
Back on topic, Google/YouTube needs to take a firmer stance on these people that amplify hate groups and contribute to this manifesto of hate. Not everything has to be about a quick buck. Read the riot act to these people !

You're right, but Google/YouTube really don't care. Hell, it took people pointing out that they're allowing child exploitation on their platform for them to do something about it (which iirc, was a common complaint for over 2 years).

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
He mentioned Candice Owens, who by the way is somehow managing to handle this a lot worse than PDP.
Well then I should correctly state "I wonder why he's one of the few people being mentioned". It's not the first time and it won't be the last time that PDP will be mentioned with something related to right wingers/racists/Nazis and there's reason which he doesn't seem to realise.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
He's cultivated the worst possible audience. Pretty fucking gross how everyone is going out of their way to defend that dude like he's the victim in all this. Maybe reevaluate your fucking content and who you're appealing to. Dude is almost in his 30s and still going hard with the edgelord shit. He did nothing wrong? FOH with that shit.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

Sarcasm? I just can't tell anymore. I used to be able to tell.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
why are they all so shitty

They're all in this together. They see an attack on one of them as an attack on the collective, because for many of them, they have tied their livelihood to Youtube. This is their day job, their primary (and possibly only) source of income. If Youtube just up and disappeared tomorrow, i'd wager at least 90% of them would be fucked. The ones that the top could likely shift to a patreon enabled model (if not already) and ride that out for a few years, but they'll never reach the same critical mass they could with the large Youtube audience.

So when it comes time to take a stand, they won't, because they're convinced this is just a bunch of old people who want to ruin their hussle, rather than an actual societal problem.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
why are they all so shitty
Because they live in worlds that aren't subject to the consequences of their words. Like they really believe there should be zero consequences or accountability with putting "Death To All Jews" while Jewish people and Muslim people are slaughtered. They have to pretend that their efforts to stay at length from actual struggles and strife isn't inherently damaging and has no wider effect beyond their channels.

Wait. So what is the general consensus here? That PDP inspired the terrorist?
No. It's that PDP conciously contributes to the rhetoric that makes him an idol for bigots just like the shooter which is something he and his fans have to reckon with. It's something all alt-right influencers beyond just YT have to reckon with but aren't actually interested in doing.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. So what is the general consensus here? That PDP inspired the terrorist?

PDP has been a popular figure in White Nationalist and alt-right groups for some time now. There was a meme going around earlier this year to "subscribe to PewDiePie" after he was spreading alt-right/white supremacist ideologies on YouTube.

Did he go and tell people to shoot Muslims? No, but his actions and rhetoric do leave an impression on those who do feel inclined to do just that.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
The tragedy should remind us of the difficult times we're having around the whole world. Hate speeches are spreading faster every day. May all those souls rest in peace.

To stay on topic: I fucking hate Pewdiepie. I always have. His "humour" is a comedic tragedy even for Youtubers standards. He's trash, simply trash. And I can't believe his channel didn't die that time we all discovered he was a big piece of racist shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Before the video where he had a bunch of kids recite "death to all jews" he was widely considered an obnoxious hack who was ridiculed by anyone above the age of 14. The idea that anyone could defend this guy in good faith is mind boggling. Even if his intentions were completely sincere, he has never been worth the effort of the 10 seconds it takes to post.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
The NY Times has him in their article covering this, I hope there is enough from this tragedy for someone to sue him and take away what he values most, his money and YouTube platform. Screw people who promote hate.