• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've unfollowed a few people today. Even blocked somebody for the first time.
Tell me about it. I'm not even on social media anymore other than this forum and it has been fucking embarrassing reading this entire thread and the many many posts swarming to defend.

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
Saying "it isn't his fault" does nothing, he needs to hold himself accountable and denounce all of the bigoted shit he's done over the years.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly don't believe we should all be talking shit about this guy and accusing him of complicity just because a crazy dumbass said his name before this terrible event. I admit, I am a subscriber of his because of this whole thing "PewDiePie vs. T-Series" thing, but I don't watch his videos and I'm not interested in doing so, however, I don't think we are accusing the right person here.

This is my only account.
The perpetrators are going to jail. They are going to get their just deserts. What's paramount to reducing the amount of people who pull this shit is to deplatform and destroy the very rhetoric that galvanizes them. PDPs name isn't random. It was said because PDP has positioned himself as an ally to white supremacists and bigots whether he believes himself to be one or not. By continually doubling down after his own bigoted "jokes" and associating with alt-right thought leaders, he and so many others within our media landscape are guilty of feeding into the exact vileness that people like these shooters swallow whole. That needs to be talked about. Ignoring it isn't going to make it go away. Like Billfisto and others have said time and time again, if PDP didn't have a documented history of being flippant about genocide and racism, we wouldn't have to have this discussion. If PDP were actually blatantly an ally who espouses progress and actively denounces the bigots who see him as a friend in a high place, there would be no need for this topic.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I honestly don't believe we should all be talking shit about this guy and accusing him of complicity just because a crazy dumbass said his name before this terrible event. I admit, I am a subscriber of his because of this whole thing "PewDiePie vs. T-Series" thing, but I don't watch his videos and I'm not interested in doing so, however, I don't think we are accusing the right person here.

Wat.

Also, things would be different if an entirely different name had been said. Like, if the perpetrator had mentioned Chris Evans or Ariana Grande or whatever, the response would be "well, that's inexplicable". The issue here is that Pewdiepie does have a documented history of being at least alt-right adjacent.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
but I don't watch his videos and I'm not interested in doing so
qzHWo2j.gif

Feb 6, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Junior phase account excusing hate speech and antagonizing other members
First question? Why (In regards to the subbing part). Also you're so sure everyone is wrong yet you don;t even know who he is? That's really the story you want to go with?
I already told you. Some of my friends watch him and tell me to subscribe because of his "sub-battle" against the T-Series thing.
so you're subbed to him but don't watch his content, yet are sure there's absolutely no through line here? damn, you're good.
I don't watch his content, but I know about the controversy he's been through. He's done dumb shit, but why are we talking like the terrorist wouldn't have done it if PewDiePie didn't exist?

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Ok the evil mastermind part was but I do think that he knows exactly what he's doing and he's tricking his dumb fandom and he's a gateway to the alt right and he needs to be held accountable but he won't because money

Yeah the first part about him being a 'mastermind' threw me for a loop. I'd call him a jabroni. And the rest i agree with wholeheartedly.

He knows what he's doing. Acting as a groomsman for the far right. He's decieving children and grooming them for far right ideology. The parents in bulk have litte to no idea whats actually happening. Becasue well, it's implausible. He should be banned immediatly and isn't presently - because money and the implausibility element.

There will be more.

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I already told you. Some of my friends watch him and tell me to subscribe because of his "sub-battle" against the T-Series thing.

I don't watch his content, but I know about the controversy he's been through. He's done dumb shit, but why are we talking like the terrorist wouldn't have done it if PewDiePie didn't exist?

no one is saying that. it's just an easy out for you to pretend that is what's being said.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really disappointed that some major gaming sites aren't covering this.

Eurogamer and Kotaku are both notably silent. Waypoint too, although I feel like they will absolutely weigh in on it with time, given their track record (plus they were plenty active on Twitter). Plus they have a much smaller site and don't necessarily report as a straight news site.

Polygon appear to be linking to Vox's reporting, which is fair enough.

I'm afraid this is going to turn into a gamergate style situation, with some sites refusing to make comment for fear of the shower of idiots it would bring onto their sites.

Eurogamer in particular tends to shy away from these sort of thing and as a big former fan, that stings.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
That he is. And if this doesn't open his eyes people can't keep claiming he is unaware.
Pewdiepie is a narcissist. Narcissists prey on, and surround themselves with, vulnerable, naive, and ignorant people, who then act as their enablers. When the narcissist is then challenged, they can take shelter behind these people - and use their unwavering adulation to absolve themselves of any and all responsibilities.

Pewdiepie has a lot of enablers.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait. So what is the general consensus here? That PDP inspired the terrorist?

I don't know if that is the consensus.

I think the consensus should be that, whether you mean to do it in a malicious way or as a "joke", if you poke the hornets nest with your rhetoric over and over you have to face the fact that you may have contributed to the horrible things that happen when someone acts upon the shit you spew from your mouth.

It doesn't matter what PDP meant to say with his decisions, he has to face the fact that someone did something fucking horrible, and mentioned him as a motivation.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

It's been detailed by me and many others why the accusation is much more specific than even "just" that.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada

Ok, so surely you understand why people are condemning PDP like they are...right?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Are you twelve years old?

We're not talking like the terrorist wouldn't have done it if PewDiePie didn't exist.

Anyway, bye.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
No one actually believes that. People have continually said this isn't just about PDP. But PDP does exist and PDP does contribute to the greater landscape of alt-right culture.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going on Twitter and watching his fanbase swarm anyone who criticizes the man only proves the point of how shitty of a person he and his brand are.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by this sick fucks manifesto, he was clearly a big fan of internet memes by referencing the fortnite floss dance and the navy seal meme in it, one could argue 'subscribe to pewdiepie' is just more of the same bullshit. No one can really say conclusively.

It's impossible to ascertain whether the shooter is an actual fan of pdp or just a dumbass meme fuck, nonetheless no one should try and deny the normalization pdp's platform has enabled over the years for the human trash like we have witnessed in NZ.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
This thread as well as having to explain to a friend in my own social circle how I'm not saying PewDiePie is literally the cause of the shooting has left me baffled at how many fans this guy has. Like you'd honestly think that you insulted these people's messiah by disapproving him at this point.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
They're all in this together. They see an attack on one of them as an attack on the collective, because for many of them, they have tied their livelihood to Youtube. This is their day job, their primary (and possibly only) source of income. If Youtube just up and disappeared tomorrow, i'd wager at least 90% of them would be fucked. The ones that the top could likely shift to a patreon enabled model (if not already) and ride that out for a few years, but they'll never reach the same critical mass they could with the large Youtube audience.

So when it comes time to take a stand, they won't, because they're convinced this is just a bunch of old people who want to ruin their hussle, rather than an actual societal problem.
Because they live in worlds that aren't subject to the consequences of their words. Like they really believe there should be zero consequences or accountability with putting "Death To All Jews" while Jewish people and Muslim people are slaughtered. They have to pretend that their efforts to stay at length from actual struggles and strife isn't inherently damaging and has no wider effect beyond their channels.

Think both of you have figured it out, very well said

Dec 5, 2017
This is such a sad and difficult situation. PDP is not responsible for the actions of others, I think that's fair to say. Is he complicit? Maybe, probably. What can we even try to do to start to push back against this violence? I have no clue.

Second I don't agree with Colin, I just think he's idealistic, and it drives me nuts to see people go after people so hard for people they disagree with politically.

I just don't even know where we go from here, how do we reach a point where we aren't mass censoring everyone we disagree with, but also not allowing hate speech to thrive.

Ian

Oct 27, 2017
Kent, UK
I'm getting the same thing. Just been told that "racist jokes don't normalise hatred" by one of his many fans.

edit: and now I'm "spreading misinformation". *rolls eyes"

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone positively reinforcing these radical alt-right ideologies, like PDP, bear responsibility.
This. People need to stop with the "leave PDP alone" shit. This is not just about PDP. We are discussing PDP A) because this is a gaming forum, B) the shooter mentioned him by name, & C) his name being mentioned actually matters in this signular instance because of the context of PDPs continual jokes and alloweces to alt-right, violently bigoted sensibilities. It's not that difficult.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Boom. I don't understand why this is so hard to understand.
It's one of two reasons.

Either because they are human trash like this shooter, PDP and the UKIP guy or because philosophically speaking they refuse to accept that people can directly influence each other through words and that ultimately personal responsibility is the only responsibility that should matter.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I guess my line of thinking is there's been glaring red flags in his content for years now. Whenever called out on it, he would downplay any criticisms as him just making jokes, or use the same dog whistles as the alt right accusing the media of attacking his character. As tragic as it is, this is the expecting outcome of constantly pandering to the "meme culture/trolling" crowd. It also doesn't help that youtubers are so cliquish and will constantly go to bat and defend pewdiepie no matter what.

Toss another YouTuber in the trash

All that's missing is for the Finebros to make a react video on the topic, exonerating Pewdiepie of any culpability.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This thread as well as having to explain to a friend in my own social circle how I'm not saying PewDiePie is literally the cause of the shooting has left me baffled at how many fans this guy has. Like you'd honestly think that you insulted these people's messiah by disapproving him at this point.
Any crack in their horrible worldview will spread to show them just how wrong they are, so they need to defend it at every turn.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a sad and difficult situation. PDP is not responsible for the actions of others, I think that's fair to say. Is he complicit? Maybe, probably. What can we even try to do to start to push back against this violence? I have no clue.

Second I don't agree with Colin, I just think he's idealistic, and it drives me nuts to see people go after people so hard for people they disagree with politically.

I just don't even know where we go from here, how do we reach a point where we aren't mass censoring everyone we disagree with, but also not allowing hate speech to thrive.

I think you know what the solution is, and it's easier than you think. Don't give platforms to people like PDP who share hate. Him veiling his behavior as "just joking" is just about the thinnest defense you can attribute to it. People like PDP are influencers.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

YouTube could probably incorporate guidelines similar to those of a public broadcaster, at least when it comes to facts and research being required. It could also use a regulator to gauge whether content is harmful or spreading harmful ideologies (including defining what is competent satire and what is basically barely disguised hate speech).

Sure, garbage could filter in from small channels due to moderation not being that efficient, but a channel like PDP's with its massive audience should get oversight in the same way TV networks, movies, music, and video games do.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
PDP has fans. They probably consider this a "raid" lol.

Just so everyone checking in and reporting back to various "places", I've seen fucking raids. This is a pathetic shadow of one.

People just love to come here, post some absolutely inane shit, and then go rant elsewhere about how they got banned from here just for saying their opinion. As if they were posting about their favorite color and not spouting bullshit about a serious topic. Not to mention the fun "I got banned for not posting enough!" when junior/low post count messages are because of the burners they're using on these petty little instant bans.

Well, actually, they don't even have to do the ranking themselves, other people see it and rush to do it for them.

Dec 5, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Downplaying hate speech over a series of posts, accounts still in junior phase
Sidenote I think calling him responsible is a slippery slope. Someone who voted for Trump is not necessarily responsible for Trump's actions, but they are complicit and they have a way to rebuke any actions they don't agree with. His response to this, and actions moving forward are what are critical here.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I'm really disappointed that some major gaming sites aren't covering this.

Eurogamer and Kotaku are both notably silent. Waypoint too, although I feel like they will absolutely weigh in on it with time, given their track record (plus they were plenty active on Twitter). Plus they have a much smaller site and don't necessarily report as a straight news site.

Polygon appear to be linking to Vox's reporting, which is fair enough.

I'm afraid this is going to turn into a gamergate style situation, with some sites refusing to make comment for fear of the shower of idiots it would bring onto their sites.

Eurogamer in particular tends to shy away from these sort of thing and as a big former fan, that stings.
There's barely a story. A mass shooter made some memes and shouted out a Youtuber. As someone with journalist traning, it's understood that a story like this would kill a career, which and I know your all out for blood, is a risky proposition if you don't have all the facts which we don't. We can't assume intent, we can't assume connections, we can't assume that PDP isn't going to issue a broader statement. You're risking a libel lawsuit if you do put something out.

I think outlets should have covered his Tweets and put in the lede paragraph that the shooter called him out by name, but it's difficult to go farther than that without being libelous

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I know this knucklehead is banned, but in case you're listening, it's the fact that he DID say his name. There's a reason for that, think critically.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
He may be a absolute fucking tool but.. in regard to this current situation he has done nothing wrong other than been name dropped.
His name being dropped is not absent of context. If the shooter mentioned Scrappy Doo, that wouldn't suddenly mean we need to take a good look at old Hanna Barbara cartoons. The shooter mentioned him though and PDP is an influencer who has consistently fed into the sensibilities of the very cultures that produce shooters like these and bigots in general. He's on the spot now because of what he has been doing wrong all throughout his career.