• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The problem with PewdiePie is that fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Ok, he says he did some black humor jokes. Ok. But he keeps doing it and going further down on the rabbit hole. I wonder if he actually is just joking.

If you are bullying with a friend and he feels bad, ok. What a looser. If comes down to a level that if you don't stop, you are responsible for tour friend reaction. Life is simple as that.

Any human being, unless you have mental sickness, is capable of empathy. PDP has gone over the limit. I used to defend him, and I thought people here were to self counscious and too "mimimimi". I have changed my mind.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
He's their "friend". Again, it's classic narcissist behaviour. Just look at any cult for example. You reach out to people who are missing something in their life, and you offer to fill that hole.

Yeah this seems to be the biggest reason to me. Classic para-social shit. Literally listening to this guy every day for years, no matter how banal his commentary and material, has these chumps thinking this millionaire is their friend who they must defend. It's pathetic.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe PewDiePie in any ways supports this type of terrorism or attacks.

I think he's a guy who doesn't still understand that his words matter, his actions matter, and what he accepts from his fan base matters. He has such a vast platform that reaches so many viewers that it's insane to me he doesn't understand that yet.

Also, the subscribe to PewDiePie campaign has been bizarre to say the least. I don't get the T Series feud, but it seems to me it's been co-opted as a white culture vs non-white culture battle being raged on the internet. Which, again, is bizarre and nuts to me. Like it's a freaking YouTube channel.

Nah, he understands. He's an adult.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Kind of amazing his fanboys are more concerned about PDP himself. Fucking losers.

I'd assume this is why PDP was referenced. To show that in some groups a white race realist sympathiser will receive more sympathy for having their name bing shouted out by a killer who's politics he helps normalise than the actual victims of a racist terrorist attack.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I swear the god every single gamer YouTuber is a bag of dicks.

SkillUp ends all his text posts with "Subscribe to PewDiePie" which obviously is just "Don't let the white man be dethroned", not to mention his alternate channel with its constant "anti-SJW" and anti-feminism videos. It's a shame because his game videos are very thorough and in-depth, but you can't reasonably support someone that awful.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a sad and difficult situation. PDP is not responsible for the actions of others, I think that's fair to say. Is he complicit? Maybe, probably. What can we even try to do to start to push back against this violence? I have no clue.

Second I don't agree with Colin, I just think he's idealistic, and it drives me nuts to see people go after people so hard for people they disagree with politically.

I just don't even know where we go from here, how do we reach a point where we aren't mass censoring everyone we disagree with, but also not allowing hate speech to thrive.
Worry about the shit right wing garbage allows to flourish first. Also 24 post only.

Also perpetuating racist myths seems like a brand of garbage idealism.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
As mentioned, Polygon are linking to the story on their front page.

I'm not sure how you think reporting on this story would "kill a career".

The basic facts we do have are that PDP was linked to this event, he has issued an apology and that he has history of troublesome right wing "incidents".

That's all I want at this point. I'm not expecting a massive take down of him but a lot of major gaming sites have proven unwilling to cover big events for fear of the reaction. At the very least there should be some recognition this happened and there is no way anyone could sue them for that.

They will go all in on publishers and developers but very rarely on these bigger issues with the terrible nature of the community.

We saw this during Gamergate. I'm hoping to be proven wrong but I worry that it will all be left to blow in the wind.
I agree that journalists should link the dots and create an article addressing the situation but if PDP were hit by this and his subs and viewers did drop, he would absolutely spin a libel lawsuit out of his ass against those reporting on it. I think this is why the outlets are wary of reporting and that it isn't fan backlash or secret PDP fans in the offices of Kotaku or wherever.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone confirm with me who PDP follows on twitter? Does he actually follow right wingers/alt righters? I dont have Twitter and cant see

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong. PDP should get shit for not taking a stronger sense and for his past actions. But where do we draw the line between making whole manifesto a center of reporting vs. treating this as what it is - Act of Terror.

How about treating it as an act of terror and examining what sorts of things radicalized the terrorist and others that share the beliefs of the terrorists?

Far-right figures followed by PDP on Twitter

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone confirm with me who PDP follows on twitter? Does he actually follow right wingers/alt righters? I dont have Twitter and cant see

binovkw6a8m21.png

Can we stop being charitable to PDP already?

Never forget the Ben Shapiro superfan that carried out the Quebec mosque shooting.

unknown.png

And also Logan Paul because of course.

Here you go.

Last edited:

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know that there is a fucking lot of white supremacists sympathizers making gaming content on youtube these days.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he just doing the "sub to PDP" meme? His manifesto seems to be a bunch of dumb meme shit.
Important to note we're not talking about some random person off the street saying this, but a murderer, a terrorist in particular going out of their way to say "sub to PDP." When it comes to murderers and terrorists and the like saying it, that's just cover and pretext, to hide behind memes. The whole point is to "red-pill" people down the same rabbit-holes that radicalized them and filled them with hate, because they know what PewDiePie stands for and what people will see and hear if they expose themselves to him. It's all just memes and jokes, until it isn't any more. All this is just pretense to hide in plain sight, behind memes and jokes, so it doesn't look suspicious at all when all of this is happening in front of people's eyes and they're all shocked when it does indeed lead to tragedy.

Don't lose sight of the who when talking about who it was that said this to begin with, who it was that wants people to sub to PDP. There's a reason a terrorist, not some random person, not some perfectly normal individual, not some random person just being random, but a mass murderer in particular would spout that particular "meme," there's a reason they would want people to sub to PDP and there's nothing innocent behind it: because Felix just hinds behind jokes but uses those jokes to expose people to poison and toxic ideas constantly, the same kind of toxic ideas and hate that radicalize people like this and turn them into murderers in the first place, and that's the point, to try and cause even more suffering trying to subtly steer people to their ways of thinking, by hiding in plain sight and trying to direct them to things that might seem innocent on the surface and nothing but jokes and memes like "sub to PewDiePie" but are really much more nefarious in how they know exactly what they're doing when they hide behind those memes and why they pick those particular people. The memes are just a smokescreen to get away with it in plain sight, to make it look innocent and harmless and like they're just being crazy when in fact they're being quite deliberate and know exactly what they're doing.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
I'm constantly puzzled as to why this guy's fanbase is so...fervent. PewDiePie is not particularity smart, not particularly funny, and offers no interesting perspectives or insights into...anything.

I've always wondered that, too. I assume it's a generational thing - there's a few podcasts I listen to regularly and a few non-gaming YouTube channels I watch on a regular basis, but the thought of jumping to their defense for any reason seems bananas to me.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I agree that journalists should link the dots and create an article addressing the situation but if PDP were hit by this and his subs and viewers did drop, he would absolutely spin a libel lawsuit out of his ass against those reporting on it. I think this is why the outlets are wary of reporting and that it isn't fan backlash or secret PDP fans in the offices of Kotaku or wherever.

I never suggested that they were secret PDP fans.

The fear of backlash is absolutely real though. I only need to point to Gamergate as evidence of the harms the gaming community can enact on a person.

I cannot see a way that a factual article could ever lead to a serious lawsuit. The basic facts are undeniable.

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered that, too. I assume it's a generational thing - there's a few podcasts I listen to regularly and a few non-gaming YouTube channels I watch on a regular basis, but the thought of jumping to their defense for any reason seems bananas to me.

There was a time less than 5 years ago where nobody who was an adult liked him. Back when he just yelled at horror games. The consensus was near universal that he was insufferable. The pivot that he has made has been strange to say the least.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I don't believe PewDiePie in any ways supports this type of terrorism or attacks.

I think he's a guy who doesn't still understand that his words matter, his actions matter, and what he accepts from his fan base matters. He has such a vast platform that reaches so many viewers that it's insane to me he doesn't understand that yet.
You're right... it would be insane for him to not understand that his words matter, his actions matter and the fanbase that he cultivates matter.

There's nothing insane about this. Felix understands PRECISELY what he is and what he represents.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know that there is a fucking lot of white supremacists sympathizers making gaming content on youtube these days.

It's overwhelming.

Part of the problem is also in the more mainstream games media not covering these people. Their audiences are huge, but when Boogie says that Nazis weren't all bad, you don't even hear about it. Maybe if the leaders in this arena were constantly decoding their language and condemning them, the landscape of gamers would be less gross and more informed.

It's just wild to me that people refuse to make the correlation between what PewDiePie does and these attacks. The Pittsburgh synagogue coincided with a historic rise in anti-Semitic violence which, of course, coincided with the first term of the current President. To think these events are completely unrelated is nuts.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
But Colin is a lot like friends I have, parents I have, relatives I have. Some people think individually and some people think more communally. Personally I see things from a view of what is best for everyone, but I think people like my parents and Colin see it more as what is best for individual freedom. That doesn't make him evil, it just makes his views different.

"Some people have empathy and others are selfish. That just makes their views different."

Why do you keep talking about Colin?

It's almost like.. it's intentional?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm constantly puzzled as to why this guy's fanbase is so...fervent. PewDiePie is not particularity smart, not particularly funny, and offers no interesting perspectives or insights into...anything.

I mean, look at this reply I received on Twitter.

I can't just name one "unexplainable racist act" by PDP. It has to be more than one.

One is fine. But after that? Oh, I think not.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's always just jokes and memes until it isn't anymore.

Today is the day we've reached that point. And still, many have chosen not to give up on this way of thinking.

It's not all jokes.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Was unfortunate enough to see a couple of that skillup twats videos on you tube. Even ignoring his politics, he is a horrible content creator and does it for attention.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
SkillUp ends all his text posts with "Subscribe to PewDiePie" which obviously is just "Don't let the white man be dethroned", not to mention his alternate channel with its constant "anti-SJW" and anti-feminism videos. It's a shame because his game videos are very thorough and in-depth, but you can't reasonably support someone that awful.
Shame. Guess I can stop watching his vids.

nevercomehome

Oct 25, 2017

I'm gonna use this as a springboard for something i've been thinking about for a while. ERA, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong/misunderstanding the situation.

I've come to believe that there's a group of people that have latched on to PDP as a way of doing "soft-recruitment" by introducing the following ideas to normal PDP fans:

- "Virtue Signaling"
- "The left just wants to shut down anything they don't agree with"
- "PC culture is out of control"

These ideas introduce the normal fans to more politically inclined/radicalized YouTubers and in turn these new YouTubers pick up where these "recruiters" left off by introducing the more racist rhetoric.

Years ago these people wouldn't be caught dead referencing PDP memes cause he was seen as a blight on the internet. He was a "cringe-y" youtuber for kids that made money yelling into a mic and playing video games. They still don't truly care about him or his reputation, but they latch on to him for his audience and because they can hide behind him. Now as to why PDP might find it so "hard" to push back against this is that he's fully aware if he comes out against him these "recruiters" will drop him hard and move on to their next internet personality. Even now with his weak-ass rebuttal you see people posting stuff like "why did you cave in to their demands? Don't apologize."

Make no mistake. PDP is a shithead who has been playing with fire for the clicks. He has allowed this to happen his community by not wanting to appear as an "SJW" and all that.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I mean, look at this reply I received on Twitter.

I can't just name one "unexplainable racist act" by PDP. It has to be more than one.

One is fine. But after that? Oh, I think not.

Some clear bait so he can link some YouTube shithead explaining how using the N word is somehow not racist.

Don't engage.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I have very conflicted feelings reading this thread. I despise pewdiepie as he definitely promotes alt-right ideas and never feels sincere in his apologies.
But nobody here knows what kind of influence he had on the shooter. I mean alt-right/nationalistic ideas are blossoming all over the world. I feel there's the same level of hate for pewdiepie as for the shooter. Maybe it's the accumulation of posts which gave me this impression I don't know.
But at the same time it's impossible to say he didn't had an influence on him. And it can remind people that alt-right ideas are not a joke and it's not some valide opinions. But honestly, on twitter at least, I feel that 95% of the people are defending pewdiepie.

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Downplaying hate speech, alt account
I think you guys just really hate pewdiepie. Obviously hes said dumb shit in the past. Hes a big name, people can take inspiration from anywhere. If I'm him send your condolences, which he did.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna use this as a springboard for something i've been thinking about for a while. ERA, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong/misunderstanding the situation.

I've come to believe that there's a group of people that have latched on to PDP as a way of doing "soft-recruitment" by introducing the following ideas to normal PDP fans:

- "Virtue Signaling"
- "The left just wants to shut down anything they don't agree with"
- "PC culture is out of control"

These ideas introduce the normal fans to more politically inclined/radicalized YouTubers and in turn these new YouTubers pick up where these "recruiters" left off by introducing the more racist rhetoric.

Years ago these people wouldn't be caught dead referencing PDP memes cause he was seen as a blight on the internet. He was a "cringe-y" youtuber for kids that made money yelling into a mic and playing video games. They still don't truly care about him or his reputation, but they latch on to him for his audience and because they can hide behind him. Now as to why PDP might find it so "hard" to push back against this is that he's fully aware if he comes out against him these "recruiters" will drop him hard and move on to their next internet personality. Even now with his weak-ass rebuttal you see people posting stuff like "why did you cave in to their demands? Don't apologize."

Make no mistake. PDP is a shithead who has been playing with fire for the clicks. He has allowed this to happen his community by not wanting to appear as an "SJW" and all that.

that's not really that crazy of a theory to make

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/05/660642531/right-wing-hate-groups-are-recruiting-video-gamers

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
There was a time less than 5 years ago where nobody who was an adult liked him. Back when he just yelled at horror games. The consensus was near universal that he was insufferable. The pivot that he has made has been strange to say the least.

Very strange indeed. Five years ago I would have predicted him and Facebook would fade into irrelevance before too long. I'm pretty bad at predicting the future, I guess.

Ian

Oct 27, 2017
Kent, UK
Just had a lengthy "discussion" with a PewDiePie fan who turned out to also be a climate change denier and anti-vaxxer. Lol

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018

No, he just spreads the message of nazis, signal boosts nazis, spreads their channels to his audience, makes racist jokes, follows nazi ideologues, and posts "death to all jews" signs.

It is very difficult to do this over and over without understanding. Most people don't manage to do this.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think you guys just really hate pewdiepie. Obviously hes said dumb shit in the past. Hes a big name, people can take inspiration from anywhere. If I'm him send your condolences, which he did.

Yeah, it's just hate for no reason at all, not like he hasn't, for instance I dunno, random thought here, collaborated with one of the alt-right's most prolific leaders like Ben Shapiro. Oh wait, he has?!

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the days when PewDiePie was was just some YouTube moron screeching at mentally underdeveloped teenage boys at the periphery of my pop culture awareness.

I miss those days.