• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
I don't know the dude but I just checked the video of him about cuphead linked in here and

1-Wow fuck that dude
2-He kinda looks like a bearded version of Steve1989MREInfo and that is bumming me out lol

Edit: huh... lol from that Cuphead video I mentionned... Huh... wut? haha

5SvZFPM.png

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
If he had shut down the "Sub to PewDiePie" joke/meme quickly, I doubt his name would've been associated at all.

We all find things funny until its not.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a few of them are probably just the same person though

I love how alt-right losers both simultaneously think that this place is a cesspool of SJWs yet also have like a hundred different accounts on here. Like they think their owning us by making a bunch of troll accounts and posting obvious troll post that no one falls for.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I applaud the goal moving in the thread. So far the defenders have now thrown videogames in front of the ongoing mob and hoped that it would keep them occupied as they form a body shield around a multimillionaire.

At the end of the day a dude who's ONLY talent is edgelordism, finds himself linked to a real life atrocity that's pretty much edgelord come to life (live murder streaming! 8 chan posts! shitpost heavy manifesto!), and we've got a bunch of scum who will go out of their way to defend their lord and master because...i dunno? That said, at this point PDP doesn't scare me as much as the defenders and how normalized and rubber stamped they see shitty behavior as being.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Of course he's distancing himself from the hate that he helped proliferate. It's easier to say some hollow words for sympathy than to actually own up to his mistakes.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I love how alt-right losers both simultaneously think that this place is a cesspool of SJWs yet also have like a hundred different accounts on here. Like they think their owning us by making a bunch of troll accounts and posting obvious troll post that no one falls for.

they ban everyone who disagree with them over there. i should know, a third of them are me!

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised at the sheer number of people spouting the same lines of reasoning that has been debunked several times or failing to read the threadmarks despite the OP title saying to do so.

That said it's still annoying and stressful all the same how people are so willing to go to bat with someone who says racist things.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't suppose any gaming press even brought up things like THQ or PewDiePie in all this while I was asleep have they?

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can never stan for Pewdiepie because even in a vacuum displaced from his personal beliefs (and in this case removing context is extremely crazy in itself given the long, shitty history Pewdiepie has) to provide benefit of the doubt how can somebody go "Well, this is the Xth time my name has been associated with some right fucking vile stuff. What am I going to do as a public figure from here on out? Keep on keepin' on, I guess."

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I ever heard of PewDiePie was through Retsupurae's legendary video:

Of course, the biggest takeaway to me at the time was that he was just some super unfunny and obnoxious youtuber. Years later, it turns out he's also a terrible person to boot.

All those rape jokes he makes in the vid, damn. It all really checks out.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I can't expect the gaming press to do their due diligence to talk about how so many things are connected to this terrorist attack, like one of gaming's biggest YouTube stars being named by the shooter themselves, or THQ adertising the site the shooter frequents. Or how advertising such a site brings in new people and those people can become radicalized to do things like this. Or how PewDiePie is helping to radicalize young kids, teens, and adults by introducing them white supremacy and to the most vile monsters who spread falsehoods and hate.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
The YouTubers and content creators that are reaching out to PDP to offer thoughts and prayers to him are twisting my melon, man. They are all as bad as each other.
I'm just dumbfounded at all of them. Like, are they not self-aware? Do they not know the definition of "influence"? Words have power, for christ's sake. And especially when you have viewers in the MILLIONS. There are so many impressionable people out there - CHILDREN, especially - who look up to them. Fucking hell.

Well, all these shitheads being exposed is at least making it easier who to completely avoid.

Afro_Ninja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is there a list of youtubers that first reaction to this tragedy was "don't blame this on pewdiepie"?
it could be added on the first post of the topic.

it would be interesting, people need to review their subscriptions...

My first unsubscribe was SkillUp, I like his videos, but this was pathetic.
he doesn't need to talk about politics and the tragedy, but he if he needs to say something, obviously was to defend his buddy that flirts with nazi content every now and then.

so, bye SkillUp.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
I can never stan for Pewdiepie because even in a vacuum displaced from his personal beliefs (and in this case removing context is extremely crazy in itself given the long, shitty history Pewdiepie has) to provide benefit of the doubt how can somebody go "Well, this is the Xth time my name has been associated with some right fucking vile stuff. What am I going to do as a public figure from here on out? Keep on keepin' on, I guess."
The way he brushes it off with one tweet is ridiculous. This ignorant pos should really reflect on what kind of message he's sending (and has been sending for several years now).

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I'm just dumbfounded at all of them. Like, are they not self-aware? Do they not know the definition of "influence"? Words have power, for christ's sake. And especially when you have viewers in the MILLIONS. There are so many impressionable people out there - CHILDREN, especially - who look up to them. Fucking hell.

Well, all these shitheads being exposed is at least making it easier who to completely avoid.
My gaming sub list is pretty much just ACG after today. Youtubers suck

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This thread is interesting.

Yeah even separated completely from the recent atrocity I was quite disturbed with this rallying cry, which I feel is a very apt description of what it is which I couldn't quite sum up as succinctly. Just tangentially related I was watching a YouTuber (don't really feel all that comfortable with naming in this instance) with multi million subscribers and hundreds of thousands of views for even their lowest viewed videos and more than 30 million for their most viewed saying that they were seriously considering making like a 20 minute video all just about encouraging people to sub to him, saying that because PDP helped them set up their channel (this was said in a very vague and unspecified way) they were just returning the favour or something, and they were being goaded on by the people they were playing Fortnite with to do so. And like it was really, really, really freaking creepy. These rich white people forming this insane cult around something so tactless and were borderline demonising people who were not subscribed in this way.

Like I dunno they of course like me could not have foreseen what PDP would be connected to in just a few days but man as I said at the start even before the last 24 hours it was *very* disturbing even.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of weird thinking about it but someone yelling "subscribe to PewDiePie" is now FUCKING terrifying.

A guy in another thread (or this one) talked about how a girl did that the other day as a joke at a coffee shop. Now if someone yells that I don't blame people for taking cover thinking they're about to get shot.

PewDiePie has now become short hand for "I'm going to kill you" and that's pretty messed up.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's kind of weird thinking about it but someone yelling "subscribe to PewDiePie" is now FUCKING terrifying.

A guy in another thread (or this one) talked about how a girl did that the other day as a joke at a coffee shop. Now if someone yells that I don't blame people for taking cover thinking they're about to get shot.

PewDiePie has now become short hand for "I'm going to kill you" and that's pretty messed up.
I didn't even think about this, but you're right

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the dude but I just checked the video of him about cuphead linked in here and
1-Wow fuck that dude
2-He kinda looks like a bearded version of Steve1989MREInfo and that is bumming me out lol

Edit: huh... lol from that Cuphead video I mentionned... Huh... wut? haha

WTF I cant unsee it now lol.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the next nut who live streams himself terrorizing a synagogue, and shouts PewDiePie!! before blowing his head off - will be one to get this chum off the air? Will Youtube be culpiable then? You betcha.
YouTube is already very much deserving of blame as it is.

They were deserving of blame prior to this tragedy.

If YouTube hasn't done anything before now, they aren't going to. I don't want to say YouTube doesn't care, but YouTube doesn't care.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Waking up from my nap to make sure people in this topic, especially those who write off PDP and his ilk as jokesters and their rhetoric as harmless trolling need to read this article from this EtcetERA Topic (thanks to UnpopularBlargh for making it):
Via Vox:

The reason it's important to both understand the Christchurch shooter's manifesto and refuse to spread its contents without context is that a manifesto is a published and public declaration of intent or belief — and the critical term to remember is "public." The Christchurch shooter wrote his manifesto with the clear intention of it being shared widely after he committed an act of mass murder.

That means that historically, terrorist manifestos have never been accurate documentation of either their belief system or the planning that went into their attacks. The main intention of terrorist manifestos is not to help everyday people understand how they became terrorists — it is to create new terrorists.
In this particular manifesto, the author is not attempting to provide a fully factual history of himself or his reasoning behind his actions. Much of the first 10 pages of the manifesto are the shooter responding to questions he's posing to himself about who he is ("just an ordinary White man" and why he decided to kill ("to show the invaders that our lands will never be their lands, our homelands are our own and that, as long as a white man still lives, they will NEVER conquer our lands"). The manifesto intersperses details about why the shooter targeted New Zealand with self-aggrandizing rhetoric about the shooter's own personal bravery.

And it's also worth mentioning that a lot of the document is akin to what's known as "shitposting" — intentionally throwing out red-meat content to readers to distract them or draw them deeper into the same online pits where he himself was radicalized.

While "shitposting" is a common thread in far-right online culture — meme-ing racism and anti-Semitism is how white supremacists hope to spread their ideology — jokey characteristics of the manifesto are in line with similar language used in older far-right groups as well.

In short, everything in the Christchurch shooter's manifesto is what the Christchurch shooter wants us to know about him. Like Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber who killed three people and injured 23 others in a nationwide bombing campaign from the 1970s to the 1990s, or even Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf, published in 1925, the point of these manifestos is not to be factual or realistic about the inner worlds of their authors. In Mein Kampf, Hitler portrays himself as a talented artist and lover of architecture. In Kaczynski's manifesto, he portrays himself as a man profoundly concerned about the material problems of industrial society. Manifestos aren't honest. Manifestos are for mass consumption.

But that doesn't mean they aren't useful for people who study terrorist movements, particularly white nationalism. Rather, connections between manifestos and the terrorists who write them — what they say, how they say it, and who they mention — tell us about the international flow of white nationalist ideology.

There's more at the link above. It's all fun and games. Until it's fucking not. We either deal with this before it gets worse and actually stop these shit heads from gathering and propagating their idiocy or we are all fucked. Lock if old.

And from the same topic, thanks to Tracygill, a quote that has been continually spread in today's culture where we try and act like shitposting and trolling isn't part of a larger construct of white supremacy and bigotry in general:

There's nothing modern about hiding bigotry behind memes and "satire" and "comedy". It's an old strategy. It's classic straight white Christian supremacy.

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Pewdiepie is a gateway on the path towards far-right radicalization, towards the alt-right fuckos he follows on Twitter, and further down the rabbit hole.

The smaller but still influential personalities who reach out to say sorry to him and give him support and contribute to the idea that Pewdiepie, and youtubers in general, have no responsibility, are cowardly sycophants at best.

Youtube itself is obviously a problem. But I have no idea where to even start with that. Algorithms are bad?
With youtubers it's fucking easy. Or at least it should be.

Wonder how long before Pewdiepie starts blaming the media as usual. I assume he's taking a break to come up with the right strategy for doing that.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is there a list of youtubers that first reaction to this tragedy was "don't blame this on pewdiepie"?
it could be added on the first post of the topic.

it would be interesting, people need to review their subscriptions...

My first unsubscribe was SkillUp, I like his videos, but this was pathetic.
he doesn't need to talk about politics and the tragedy, but he if he needs to say something, obviously was to defend his buddy that flirts with nazi content every now and then.

so, bye SkillUp.

My policy is just to not subscribe to anything on YouTube. Easy.

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since the thread with the quick resume over PDP was locked, I was wondering if anyone knows if any summary of his actions is available online. I was a bit disappointed to see the thread gone. Maybe it's been discussed in here?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Since the thread with the quick resume over PDP was locked, I was wondering if anyone knows if any summary of his actions is available online. I was a bit disappointed to see the thread gone. Maybe it's been discussed in here?
Look at the threadmarks. There are multiple posters who've not only gone into PDP's history themsleves but have posted articles that go into how PDP has inserted himself into the alt-right:

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at the threadmarks. There are multiple posters who've not only gone into PDP's history themsleves but have posted articles that go into how PDP has inserted himself into the alt-right:
Oh, yeah, I should've written that I've checked those. My bad! I was wondering if there was something even more comprehensive. It's a great start, however.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
The first time I ever heard of PewDiePie was through Retsupurae's legendary video:

Of course, the biggest takeaway to me at the time was that he was just some super unfunny and obnoxious youtuber. Years later, it turns out he's also a terrible person to boot.

All those rape jokes he makes in the vid, damn. It all really checks out.

Same. I actually got a little nostalgic looking at that video again.

Goddamn I forgot just how much rape was apart of his "comedy."

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

We need a mega post on all of this. Including the excuses people make for PDP. Im getting into pointless arguments on reddit but its frustrating how many people dont get it. My worry lies with the millions of children who are exposed to this shit. We really have no way to combat this, but we need to try and reach out to children

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I asked in this thread and didn't get a response, so I ended up searching myself and I found nothing.

I certainly wouldn't expect any coverage on DualShockers, at least.
I'm hoping Jimquisition covers this---I don't think he usually bothers with trash like PDP because that's too easy for him to mock, but I think he should address alongside not letting folks forget what THQ did with 8chan.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Yeah even separated completely from the recent atrocity I was quite disturbed with this rallying cry, which I feel is a very aytactless and were borderline demonising people who were not subscribed in this way.

Like I dunno they of course like me could not have foreseen what PDP would be connected to in just a few days but man as I said at the start even before the last 24 hours it was *very* disturbing even.
Your text is impeneratrable. Its a chore to read, and people will bounce off in a instant. Cut Some of the chaff, rearrange some, and you'll read better, and more people will hear what you have to say.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would likely make a good thread later when not in one of PewDiePie's controversies, just to have the info readily available for everyone when needing to call back to all the things he's done. Cause even I have trouble keeping track of it all.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your text is impeneratrable. Its a chore to read, and people will bounce off in a instant. Cut the chaff and you'll read better, and more people will hear what you have to say.

No, I felt like what I wrote was exactly what I wanted to write in this instance. Thanks for the advice regardless.