• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
No one should be surprised that Youtube stars are all coming together to say PewDiePie did nothing wrong (Markiplier tweeted something similar earlier). It happened 2 years ago when PewdiePie was accused of antisemitism after losing Disney. I honestly think most of them will look out for one another regardless of what they're accused of.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So when is resetera going to have a serious chat about banning these fuckers like PDP and their supporters from the forums? Deplatforming works. Maybe we can't get them off YouTube but we can sure as well have any defence of PDP bannable as if you just defended a homophobic post or something like that.
Deplatforming works, but banning discussion on PDP on era isn't deplatforming him very much. The guy has a very wide spread reach thanks to YouTube and Twitter. Those are the platforms he should be deplatformed from. If anything, we should eventually have a thread of all his controversies and things that lead up to this point so people can see the direct escalation of his content and what he has introduced people to that can/have radicalize people. He helped introduce people to a rabbit hole of conspiracies, hate, and genocidal tendencies through his influence with his actions and who he keeps contact with and allows on his show or contributes to his show.

And with a thread like that, we'd have readily available information to show those who may not be aware of PewDiePie's actions and influence on people.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one should be surprised that Youtube stars are all coming together to say PewDiePie did nothing wrong (Markiplier tweeted something similar earlier). It happened 2 years ago when PewdiePie was accused of antisemitism after losing Disney. I honestly think most of them will look out for one another regardless of what they're accused of.
Ding ding ding.

These guys only care about their livelihoods being affected by this.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
it's just ebic memes bro

reminder this is now deleted

j7EfOLx.png
So have any of us reported this to any news outlets yet? 'Cause uhh....maybe it's time parents find out who their kid's favorite youtuber is.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So have any of us reported this to any news outlets yet? 'Cause uhh....maybe it's time parents find out who their kid's favorite youtuber is.
I think it's only possible when signed into his channel but I'd love to know what his viewer demographics are. When he started it was probably mostly teenagers and kids but I've a feeling it's mid to late teens and 20's now. Anyway to find out?

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech + History of dismissive drive-by.
Focusing on the wrong things.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's only possible when signed into his channel but I'd love to know what his viewer demographics are. When he started it was probably mostly teenagers and kids but I've a feeling it's mid to late teens and 20's now. Anyway to find out?

There seems to be data on that available. It's late teens, early twenties that's the main area.

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainme...uggested-all-his-fans-were-9-year-olds-110491

Bonus points, this article starts by referring to an incident I don't remember hearing about where PewDiePie another YouTuber a thot.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Focusing on the wrong things.
I can't help feeling there's a pattern to what you're pointedly apathetic to.

1 year ago, Black Panther was released in theaters

Does the default gender for characters with multiple gender options matter to you?
What a thing to worry about.

#Arbyswaifu "Actually, she's 54 years old"
Damn. Even chibi is bad. What a world we live in.

LGBT Representation in Gaming - should it be proportional or equal?
Whatever. Plot comes first.

Have recent events affected your decision to buy future Atlus titles?

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Does the default gender for characters with multiple gender options matter to you?

Surprise, surprise.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I hope that there's still a shred of decency in Felix, and that his name being mentioned before the white nationalistic murder of 49 men, women and children, gives him some much needed perspective on the path he's chosen to take in appealing to alt-righters and signal boosting hateful scumbags.
He's not to blame for the horror in New Zealand, but he absolutely IS a factor in it, and that alone should be enough to have anyone with any decency left in them evaluate the shit they've associated with and make a change.
If he moves forward from this and still pulls the same old tricks then there can be no question that he's a willing supporter of this kind of hateful trash. This is his last chance to do the right thing and disavow all his previous actions, remove all his posts in support of white nationalist and alt-right channels, and just stick to being a dude who yells at shitty games for the amusement of 10 year olds.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
I love how alt-right losers both simultaneously think that this place is a cesspool of SJWs yet also have like a hundred different accounts on here. Like they think their owning us by making a bunch of troll accounts and posting obvious troll post that no one falls for.
There are a concerning amount of groups who, both as hobby and profession, try to flood online discussions with their views to try and change the discourse of a site. Even the stuff you call obviously troll-y is supposed to get users with certain views thinking the troll's ideas are reasonable or even correct.

Resetera gets shielded from this quite well do to effective moderation curating what's acceptable in the community and setting the baseline of standards for poster interactions; but you can look at how places like 4chan and reddit shift their ideals over time as a response to the internal culture war the users are involved with, which is again being manipulated in some ways by these groups of trolls. With a less restricted posting culture the troll's ideas are allowed to exist and can start to be normalized, shifting the site's culture towards whatever stupid ideal the trolls are hoping for.

So the shitposting is less a moron screaming to the void and more a loser jackass getting off on the idea they're fighting the "SJW Culture"; which is clearly ruining the internet via, you know, base level critical thinking.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But remember everyone it's just memes!!! PDP was just having fun with memes!!!
Hey I think you should seriously delete this picture. It looks like he's trying to play the circle game in that shot. You know. Because that's apparently funny. Even with his face blurred I think you shouldn't give him the pleasure of having that picture shared. Just my two cents.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Well... the username is literally "hate."

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
The Cult of Pewdiepie one social media makes me feel physically ill. So many people so devoted to a fucking YouTuber that they're unable to process any sort of criticism.

PewDiePie has been pandering to facists for years, he is not a fucking victim in all this.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Destroyed.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ether. That shit that makes your soul burn slow. Damn.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any articles or whatever going into the history of the circle gesture becoming an alt-right thing? My friend group still do that as a joke in group photos without realising those connotations.

Metaroo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ding ding ding ding :)

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'm in Cleveland sadly our news here is running a story about the attack being a follower of Pewdiepie,

Oct 27, 2017
What a shitty insincere apology.

what the world needs right now is a campaign against PDP's advertisers. YouTube won't do anything about him until advertisers start complaining about having their brands associated with his videos. Social media campaigns against advertisers has worked with Fox News. You'd think the same thing would work here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I'm in Cleveland sadly our news here is running a story about the attack being a follower of Pewdiepie,

Not sure if that should be a sad thing or not. PDP needs to take responsibility for the actions he allow to happen and promote under his name. If people start associating PDP with this then he will have to actually face the facts that the people surrounding him are shit. So either he will double down and die out, or actually reform himself. Either way it would be a win, but only if he is forced to take accountability.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying Hate Speech
I don't particularly like Pewdiepie, or understand his humour. But blaming him here is akin to how people have blamed violent video games, movies and music for other shootings over the years. I think we can all agree that Grand Theft Auto, Heath Ledgers Joker and Marilyn Manson weren't to blame for the tragedies that were attached to their names. You might not agree with the things that he does, but in this instance there's no one to blame but the psychopath that carried out this horrendous crime.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly like Pewdiepie, or understand his humour. But blaming him here is akin to how people have blamed violent video games, movies and music for other shootings over the years. I think we can all agree that Grand Theft Auto, Heath Ledgers Joker and Marilyn Manson weren't to blame for the tragedies that were attached to their names. You might not agree with the things that he does, but in this instance there's no one to blame but the psychopath that carried out this horrendous crime.
Read. The. Threadmarks.

Don't bring in false equivalencies.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Nah dude has cultivated a cult following of alt-right and White Supremacy and doesn't disavow it. Trump was just as culpable when that shooter shot up the synagogue based on Trump's Soros is sending illegals after you fear rhetoric. Pewdiepie could tell these fuckers to fuck off, but instead, he invites him on the show tweets to them and follows them on twitter.

He lets this shit fester as a leader or millions of fans. Many whom are children who grow up to be like my nephew whom is now a 15 year old alt-righter that hates feminism and immigrants.

Nevermind pewdiepie's racist "slip ups". He knows what he is doing, he knows who his fans are, he just doesn't care.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Im not entirely familiar with PDP, but why so much the hate towards the tweet?

Let's keep this simple. Whether or not PDP pulled a trigger is not what's being discussed. This is not about making PDP pay for a killing that someone else did. PDP is one part of a sweeping problem of people making "jokes" at the expense of disenfranchised people, rubbing elbows with alt-right thought leaders and staunchly doubling down when confronted with the fact that they feed into the culture of bigotry that spreads and produces violent offenders just like this:

No matter how much he or you or any of his fans like to think, by using his platform to trade in the culture of white supremacy, he feeds into the galvanization of bigots, violent and non violent. And before anyone says it: It's not just about PDP. PDP is being talked about because he started off his glide toward the alt-right with stunts like the "Death to all Jews" bullshit and we can't act like that shit is separate from a person who went on to try their hand at genocide who had PDP's name on their lips. We could and do have multiple topics just like this in regards to Trump, Candice Owens, Tucker Carlson, Ben Shapiro, Milo Y, Alex Jones and so on and their contributions to the very same culture of hatred and genocidal violence and we should. This particular topic is about PDP though.

Last edited:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I feel so distubed so many people are supporting him in this case, markiplier included. I think he should at least be held accountable for what he had done

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Stefan Molyneux, the man who thinks Frozen is propagating radical feminist talking points, and thinks that the genocide against the Native Americans was just made up.
But PDP definitely is not rightwing, guys. He's completely innocent.
This is maybe neither her nor there, but I once heard someone who researches national security stuff for a living (to put it vaguely) say in 2015 or so they believed ISIS' western recruitment strategy was modeled after an online cult Freedomain Radio that Molyneux ran before becoming an alt-right figure.

Also, this thread is terrifying in a way that I wasn't prepared for. YouTube needs to ban PDP, end of question. We need to deprogram these kids with ContraPoints or something.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
it's already been discussed in the other thread, but this is alt-right signalling (the signal he's doing in the pic, to clarify)
Right, yes. I immediately thought of Pepe, but it's gone so much further than that.

Christ, even my dad knows the symbol. Some young dude at work told him about it. Shit is everywhere.