• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AB (^_^)

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Thabks for those who pointed me to the trademarks, its quite sad these youtubers are not aware of how much their behavior influences others. A simple i'm sorry and i dont meant to do this is not enough. In this case pdp should really start a peace campaign ir something along those lines...

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I feel so distubed so many people are supporting him in this case, markiplier included. I think he should at least be held accountable for what he had done
They don't even have to condemn pewdiepie. All they have to say is "let's as a community make it clear that we condemn white supremacy and don't want those people subscribing. Easy.

I'll wait for even one of these people to do it, that feel sooooo bad for pewdiepie right now.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
If I see another Era post start with "I don't really like PewDiePie but/I'm not familiar with PewDiePie but/I'm not a fan of PewDiePie but" I think I'm going to scream. Always the same opening, always the "but", always the same epiphany of blithering dismissive ignorance that follows designed solely to antagonize or provoke a reaction.

Every single one of these people KNOW EXACTLY what they're doing. It's incorrigible.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
r2reERl.jpg

But remember everyone it's just memes!!! PDP was just having fun with memes!!!
Late stage memes

Seriously, talked to my friends about this stuff today and the majority of them in the chat group just kept defending PDP and how all the stuff about him in the past is just news media clickbaiting a popular Youtuber with made-up scandals for views/revenue. It's unbelievable.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I see another Era post start with "I don't really like PewDiePie but/I'm not familiar with PewDiePie but/I'm not a fan of PewDiePie but" I think I'm going to scream. Always the same opening, always the "but", always the same epiphany of blithering dismissive ignorance that follows designed solely to antagonize or provoke a reaction.

It just like in the Michael Jackson threads.

Bruhs, you're not fooling anyone with your bullshit.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
They don't care about pewdiepie so much that they are going to jump into a 2000 post thread with warnings, staff posts, and a long list of bans, just to defend his honor knowing how it's going to end. If that's what they "do" for people they don't even care about, I'd almost be scared to know what they'd do for the people they DO actually care about.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't particularly like Pewdiepie, or understand his humour. But blaming him here is akin to how people have blamed violent video games, movies and music for other shootings over the years. I think we can all agree that Grand Theft Auto, Heath Ledgers Joker and Marilyn Manson weren't to blame for the tragedies that were attached to their names. You might not agree with the things that he does, but in this instance there's no one to blame but the psychopath that carried out this horrendous crime.
Another one.

Should be a disclaimer to stop regurgitating this nonsense. No, this is nothing like attributing violent video games to shootings.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't he made like several apology videos for other things like saying the N word? Dude probably has a script sitting by his computer ready to go at this point. I doubt it will vary much.

At least he's learned to stay on his script this time!

irglyhlxi6n01nbklt.png

In case you're confused, this image is from a PewDiePie apology video.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Those millions of subs didnt come from nowhere. Its sad seeing so many bans in this thread from people trying to give this asshole yet another pass no matter how bad the outcome is. Like 50 people get shot by a guy enabled by this fucking idiot and still... STILL his fanbase are all over everywhere running defense. Ridiculous.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
There are a concerning amount of groups who, both as hobby and profession, try to flood online discussions with their views to try and change the discourse of a site. Even the stuff you call obviously troll-y is supposed to get users with certain views thinking the troll's ideas are reasonable or even correct.

Resetera gets shielded from this quite well do to effective moderation curating what's acceptable in the community and setting the baseline of standards for poster interactions; but you can look at how places like 4chan and reddit shift their ideals over time as a response to the internal culture war the users are involved with, which is again being manipulated in some ways by these groups of trolls. With a less restricted posting culture the troll's ideas are allowed to exist and can start to be normalized, shifting the site's culture towards whatever stupid ideal the trolls are hoping for.

So the shitposting is less a moron screaming to the void and more a loser jackass getting off on the idea they're fighting the "SJW Culture"; which is clearly ruining the internet via, you know, base level critical thinking.

And, not to beat a dead horse but looking over at the current discourse at GAF is exhibit fucking A of how, once you let people get away with dog whistling and diet racism, how quickly the other shoe will drop.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this image fills me with a deep rage. Fuck this bastard. 49 innocent people are dead because of him and he thinks it's a fucking joke.
Yeah... Like, I always agree with people who keep saying "Don't show the guy's face, don't give him publicity" everytime there's a mass shooting but I've never really cared personally before and curiosity always won in the end.

This time however, his face has been in the thumbnail for one of the three rotating news article in the top left of Kotaku all day and it's been pissing me off every time I went to the site today.

And yeah that picture from the tribunal is REALLY pissing me off.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was posted in January. Still doesn't excuse it though.
'Twas from Jaunary. Still a stupid, edgy thing to do (but very On Brand).
Before. You can see the date in the insta

Ah thanks, I somehow missed the date.

So he deleted this after the attack, what a sneaky selfish rat.

If this isn't a turning point for his behaviour he's way past redemption.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Essentially, he was going on about how the media misrepresenting him by taking his Nazi jokes out of context, so he flips off the camera, puts his finger in his mouth, and then says "see, context."

This is following his apology for his antisemitism and "death to jews" stuff, if I recall. Despite his excuse, he was deliberately flipping off the camera to make a point against the media, and it was part of a whole bit about how he wasn't really responsible.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially, he was going on about how the media misrepresenting him by taking his Nazi jokes out of context, so he flips off the camera, puts his finger in his mouth, and then says "see, context."

This is following his apology for his antisemitism and "death to jews" stuff, if I recall. Despite his excuse, he was deliberately flipping off the camera to make a point against the media, and it was part of a whole bit about how he wasn't really responsible.
So thats why every pdp supporter gives the "media is evil" bs

OP
OP
Sinder

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

Another tactic directly out of the alt-right/trump playbook. Almost as if there's a pattern.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So thats why every pdp supporter gives the "media is evil" bs
Yep! Which plays right into the hands of the alt-right and their calling of media "fake news". Something else is that PewdiePie also made a video calling out WSJ for their article and called out its writer as well. PDP dog whistled to get his audience to attack the writer, he also had people like Sargon of Akkad in the description of the video giving them a shout out and linking to his channel, thanking him for the material to make his video against WSJ.

Also in that same video he showed off a photoshopped picture of J.K Rowling dressed like a Nazi and it had people go and harass J.K Rowling thinking she was actually a Nazi.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I remember when I first started hearing about PewDiePie, he was largely for like 12 year olds who watched 5NAF and Minecraft videos. How has his audience gone from that to right-wing twenty-somethings? Genuine question. His trajectory seems super weird to me.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I first started hearing about PewDiePie, he was largely for like 12 year olds who watched 5NAF and Minecraft videos. How has his audience gone from that to right-wing twenty-somethings? Genuine question. His trajectory seems super weird to me.
He's been around now for roughly 9 years, or at least six years since becoming the most subscribed channel on YouTube. In 2014, his demo was mainly "US teenaggers aged 13 through 18."

If you look at it that way, those 12 year old fans back in 2011/2012 are now 19-20 years old. Those that were on the upper end of that threshold in 2014 (18 years old) would now be around 23 years old. So yeah, it's not hard to see when you look at it this way.

You have these kids' minds molded by watching this jackass make rape "jokes" for years, normalize white nationalism for years, support alt-right channels and noted alt-right figureheads for years. And all the while he assumes zero responsibility or sheds crocodile tears for his roles in anything that is clearly associated with him... for years.

They've been indoctrinated. He, his thoughts, his actions, his beliefs are "normal" to them.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
really weird how pewdeepie was considered lame and cringy until he became a nazi icon and now people pretend his content is good

JackStone91

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 6, 2018
Imagine thinking Pewdiepie is literally a Nazi.

Yeah, the dude has made some very dumb mistakes in the past. But good lord, people. This is why people take the community of this website as such a joke sometimes. Like, GameFAQs levels. I'm not even a fan of his new "meme" content, but it's too obvious most of you guys have never experienced much of the guy outside of all this out of context media.

I'm sorry guys, but come on.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine literally thinking Pewdiepie is literally a Nazi.

Yeah, the dude has made some very dumb mistakes in the past. But good lord, people. This is why people take the community of this website as such a joke sometimes. Like, GameFAQs levels. I'm not even a fan of his new "meme" content, but it's too obvious most of you guys have never experienced much of the guy outside of all this out of context media.

Yeah saying the n word on stream and death to all Jews is memes fun. Btw he could have said a thousand words rather than the n word yet chose that particular word. Strange.

Yeah, I'm sorry too.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine literally thinking Pewdiepie is literally a Nazi.

The fact that you classified what he has done as "dumb mistakes" is baffling.

JackStone91

Banned
Aug 6, 2018
User Banned (duration pending): Downplaying hate speech.
Yeah saying the n word on stream and death to all Jews is memes fun. Btw he could have said a thousand words rather than the n word yet chose that particular word. Strange.

Yeah, I'm sorry too.
Didn't say they were fun. Again, I said he's made some very dumb mistakes. Mistakes that he's apologized for. Hell, mistakes that I wouldn't blame people for not forgiving after he apologized. But since both of these mistakes he's clearly tried changing and learning from them. Of course, there are going to be idiots on the right who take these jokes literally even though Felix already said they were "jokes."

This isn't Donald Trump who says "eff you" to every criticism thrown at him and moves on. This is a dude who has an insanely large platform and clearly has issues on handling it.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019

Doing 100 good things and 1 bad thing doesn't make you a good person by default, this isn't a numbers game.
What possible context is there that makes saying "Death to all Jews" an okay thing?

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017

"dumb mistakes" like promoting deranged racist lunatics like Ben Shapiro, sharing neonazi youtube channels with his massive audience, and shouting racial slurs "by mistake." If he's not a racist, he's a sociopathic nihilist which is arguably much worse.

Kevlar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Downplaying Hate Speech; Account in Junior Phase
Wow, banning people for correctly stating that PewDiePie has nothing to do with this?

I know ResetERA has a left leaning bias, but that's why I liked coming here: some different perspectives from the usual YouTube-comments and other social utterences.

This is just authoritarian BS.

If you ACTUALLY believe this is Felix' fault, you're delusional and I don't know what to tell you.

Bye ResetERA, it's been fun while it lasted.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Seeing this image fills me with a deep rage. Fuck this bastard. 49 innocent people are dead because of him and he thinks it's a fucking joke.

Having seen the video, it's pretty disturbing how "casual" the whole thing felt. He was completely calm and collected and even talked to the camera and chuckled to himself while driving away. It's like he was streaming while shopping for groceries or something. His "manifesto" was also filled with sarcasm and random name-dropping (such as Fortnite and Spyro). It's like if you took the standard internet troll and turned them into a homicidal sociopath. Just really bizarre and disturbing stuff.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, banning people for correctly stating that PewDiePie has nothing to do with this?

I know ResetERA has a left leaning bias, but that's why I liked coming here: some different perspectives from the usual YouTube-comments and other social utterences.

If you ACTUALLY believe this is Felix' fault, you're delusional and I don't know what to tell you.

You've been here over a year and have posted 12 times.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Using a burner account to protect Felix... 🤦‍♂️

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ciao!

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Use your real account you coward.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

c07.gif

Quote a post that directly blames PDP for this. If you wanted to engage in the thread instead of troll you'd see that people are holding PDP accountable for using his large platform to normalize white supremacy.

Also, when you have a burner account is it illegal to get an avatar? Just seems so low effort tbh.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In context, he has literally interacted, promoted and hosted several alt-right extremists, increasing their following and polluting more people with the exact kind of ideology the shooter had

JackStone91

Banned
Aug 6, 2018
Doing 100 good things and 1 bad thing doesn't make you a good person by default, this isn't a numbers game.
What possible context is there that makes saying "Death to all Jews" an okay thing?
I never said it was an okay thing?
"dumb mistakes" like promoting deranged racist lunatics like Ben Shapiro, sharing neonazi youtube channels with his massive audience, and shouting racial slurs "by mistake." If he's not a racist, he's a sociopathic nihilist which is arguably much worse.
He's a "shock jock." Says shocking things for the sake of comedy. Which obviously isn't funny to many, including myself, but I understand they're jokes. Ben Shapiro is a damn meme, which is what Pewdiepie's shows are about now. Maybe he is a sociopath. I can't imagine what having such a massive audience could do to one's mind. He's just stupid IMO. I just don't believe he's racist, nor do I think he should be blamed for this. I 100% doubt the murderer would have other plans had Pewdiepie not existed in the YouTube space.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The terrorist said "Subscribe to PewDiePie!" before killing so many innocent people. PewDiePie has a history with anti-semitism and giving some vile monsters like Ben Sharpiro airtime on his show. Thus introducing people to these vile monsters who wish for these acts of genocide.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
How do these people not understand the throughline from making "jokes" at the expense of non-white people, linking to white supremacist content, not disavowing white supremacists when they use you for their cause, and finally having your name invoked by a white supremacist when he inevitably enacts violence upon those he considers inhuman?

This isn't even hard. This isn't fucking opaque.

This is what happens when you give comfort to evil. Period.