• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Satine

Banned
Mar 15, 2019
rjinaz is saying it doesn't take effort to disapprove of mass slaughter. Disapproving of killers is simply base level humanity. It's easy. What would be more impressive and actually go toward ridding himself of the supremacists that flock to him would be flatly decrying white supremacy and bigotry. Not just from the bigots who kill but also the bigots who don't. This statement is no different from republican politicans sending their prayers when a gun massacre happens but not saying anything about the NRA or gun culture or white nationalism because they know inherently that their power and status is founded on those very institutions and cultures that propagate the violence.
That makes much more sense, thanks! I have said that he needs to completely disapprove of white supremacist actions in that same post too.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
And just before anybody tries to accuse me of being racist; I'm not.
Ah so you're trolling got it. Already playing the "I'm the victim here" card.

No you're just defending a millionaire youtuber that says racist shit, follows racist people on twitter, and tweets to them, invited them on his show, has millions of fans, many whom are children, has cultivated a very serious alt-right White Supremacy fanbase, and does nothing about it. You're a defending a man like that. I don't care if you're racist, but I feel safe to say you're a shit person if you still like pewdiepie. At least the other youtube people that are defending him have a reason, their paychecks. What's your excuse?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

The fun fact about being racist is that you're not the one who decides that. Others decide that based on your actions and statements.

The fact that you actually jumped to pre-emptively state that, when no one was even beginning to insinuate it, does not make your case any better.

Can you explain where this "white supremacist following" is exactly? I watch his videos casually

You were doing so well. You have a 2000+ post thread that you could have read and had this question answered 1000 times over. If you see a need to still ask it, you don't actually care for the answer.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain where this "white supremacist following" is exactly? I watch his videos casually and barely take to twitter, so maybe I'm not quite as read-up on that. I genuinely want an explanation.

Use the threadmarks button to see some that have been pointed out earlier in the thread.

Satine

Banned
Mar 15, 2019
What kinda of post is this? Why are you preemptively defending yourself of accusations of racism? That's kinda weird don't you think?
It's because im on reset Era.
"I heard the same argument a couple of times on Twitter.
If you dig a little it always turns out that the people perpetuating the argument are racists themselves" - from an earlier post

Kirroyal88

Oct 25, 2018
(I'm liking that your response is less of a personal attack unlike many others on this platform i've seen)
I don't think PDP has done enough to control what some of his fans have done. Just last week the words "sub to pewdiepie" were carved onto a war memorial by some so called "fans". Unlike in this case PDP properly called out what these kids have done and accurately showed that he couldn't tolerate their behaviour.

What happened in Christchurch was an awful part of pushing an agenda of hate and conflict, but in no means was this pewdiepie's agenda.

(also i dare not go over to 4chan, it's not exactly a place i want to go)(I'm more-so on this site to have a proper debate, like this)

Months ago i was promoted in my office and have a whole department full of under performing people to take care of. Do you know how i influence their performance? By setting an example consistently day in day out never stops.

If i know that i am followed and hailed as a symbol of alt right neo nazis I will damn well condemn them in my every single content that i create until those animals hates me, unfollow me and perhaps threaten me instead of mentioning my name before killing innocents.

This whole thing is a change for him to take the stance. To take the correct stance that can perhaps reduce the hate that are consuming this world. Instead..... he wrote a weak ass sympathy on twitter.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Can you explain where this "white supremacist following" is exactly? I watch his videos casually and barely take to twitter, so maybe I'm not quite as read-up on that. I genuinely want an explanation.

Here is a casual 1500 likes for getting chummy with a white supremacist on Twitter.
And the appropriate glee this connection inspired in some people:

x1jKwWS.png

And here is a nice Who is Who of the alt-right/white supremacist community, right out of Pewdiepies Follow-List:

y6u4cT6.jpg

And here is a nice Who is Who of the alt-right/white supremacist community, right out of Pewdiepies Follow-List.

Satine

Banned
Mar 15, 2019
Months ago i was promoted in my office and have a whole department full of under performing people to take care of. Do you know how i influence their performance? By setting an example consistently day in day out never stops.

If i know that i am followed and hailed as a symbol of alt right neo nazis I will damn well condemn them in my every single content that i create until those animals hates me, unfollow me and perhaps threaten me instead of mentioning my name before killing innocents.

This whole thing is a change for him to take the stance. To take the correct stance that can perhaps reduce the hate that are consuming this world. Instead..... he wrote a weak ass sympathy on twitter.

(this is why I'm starting to like this site)
That makes perfect sense, and he does need to make a full response to what has happened.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i keep seeing this reddit post pop up in "defense" of pewdiepie
like, its complete nonsense, right?

edit: should probably clarify; i want to either debunk this or at least have something to say in response to it because
1) finding the manifesto at all to even see if there's a source to this claim is hard
2) it is complete nonsense. the problem is it is an easy way to reframe the entire pewdiepie argument as something that the terrorist wants and thats bad
3) even if it was completely true, pewdiepie should still be held somewhat responsible as he never bothered to distance himself away from the alt-right
My takeaway from this whole thing. It's clear Pewdiepie has been a complete moron at best and a racist at worst on many occasions. He shouldn't tread so lightly on such important and sensitive topics, especially since, from what I hear, his subs are mostly comprised of children and teenagers.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
That makes perfect sense, and he does need to make a full response to what has happened.
Maybe you are actually sincere. There are so many bad faith trolls in this thread, it's hard to tell when people actually want to learn more.

But I'll tell you now, he won't. He won't address the larger issue here or denounce his alt-right following. It's his bread and butter, and it's also who he is. He's a piece of shit.

Also, "just an opinion" is shit. Saying racist shit can be just an opinion. Doesn't mean we have to accept it. Defending a White Supremacist leader, and he is, is also not "just an opinion".

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
Hey folks, guess what - being an asshole ironically still means you're a fucking asshole.

Don't they? There are plenty of anti-fascist people who have left this forum because of lacklustre moderation of thinly veiled alt right spam.
Really? It seems to me like they err on the side of doubting sincerity, which is fair in these times, I suppose, but limits the opportunity to change hearts and minds with dialogue and community.

I would be very surprised if less than 99% of this forum is opposed to facism. If someone finds Resetera too unwelcoming, they've gone off the deep end.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As I have said, we all start somewhere.
- also this is my first time on this site dude, if you're too good to listen to my thoughts, then just don't.
The issue as I see it is that YouTube and other platforms funnel young people towards far right, alt-right and / or bigoted content producers who in turn radicalise these young people. Folks like Ben Shapiro, Lauren Southern, Molyneux and so on.
We can see that the Quebec mosque shooter was impacted heavily by the islamophobic content producer, Ben Shapiro. I believe Shapiro was the content producer he most engaged with before the shooting.

PDP, the largest channel for young people on YouTube gave Ben Shapiro a platform in his videos and promoted him.
I'd say there's a reason why the alt-right, Ukip, The Daily Stormer and others aren't talking about Jack Septic Eye or Markiplier.

??

Satine

Banned
Mar 15, 2019
My takeaway from this whole thing. It's clear Pewdiepie has been a complete moron at best and a racist at worst on many occasions. He shouldn't tread so lightly on such important and sensitive topics, especially since, from what I hear, his subs are mostly comprised of children and teenagers.
He needs to learn what his influence actually does to people to start off with. But this is the single worst thing that he has been dragged into. And he clearly didn't see this coming and may need time.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You know... if I was a famous rich as hell internet douche bag who at this point, had no need of further views or subscribers as I'm really set for life (which hell maybe he is a stupid fuck and has blown it all so he needs this desperate bullshit) (and even if I wasnt) but if I was said internet douche bag, the mere fact that a terrorist referenced me while murdering people, would be a detonation in my heart and thoughts and I would stop cold and reconsider and re-evaluate all my fucking actions up to that point to understand how in the fuck that could have happened.

I would then take a drastically different approach in life and actions. I would be an extremely different creator and public persona going forward.

Who is going to bet anything, anything at all will change with pewdiepie? For real? Or is it going to be the same "its just jokes on the internet! doesn't mean anything!!" bullshit?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
It's because I'm (mostly) on the other side of the argument. If you see much earlier posts, accounts have been banned for merely stating their opinion

Opinions aren't infalliable positions. You aren't immune to the consequences of posting shit just by stating it's an opinion.

You arguing that PDP does not court an altright audience or isn't altright himself is easily disproven by his history of comments and interactions with people in that community. He actively has courted them for years, been caught multiple times doing so, and refused to change. This isn't disputable. I don't give two fucks if it's your opinion. It's an incorrect one.

Accounts haven't been banned for "just" stating an opinion. They were banned because their opinion was dismissing hate speech. As yours is right now trying to deny PDP wasn't ultimately courting this sort of audience, and wasn't aware that this is the ultimate conclusion of this kind of rhetoric.

The alt-right wants this to happen. Prominent figures in the alt-right community wanted stuff like this shooting to happen. What they DON'T want to happen is to have their name attached to the actual heinous events, because it starts to erode the plausible deniability that they use to spread this rhetoric without punishment.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Do this peopel even understand the nazi
philosophy?
This made me lol, I mean I dont even know what argumant you are trying to make here but the Nazi philosophy is made pretty clear by their actions during Hitlers reign. There's no need to spin it in any way or form, people understand what the Nazi philosophy is pretty well, which is white supremecy to the extreme. Hitler would have destroyed every by his own standard "non European" human if he had the chance to do so.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

That response needs to be followed by a change in behavior, too.
Its needs to be followed by a clear denunciation of many of the people he promoted so happily, like Sargon Of Akkad and Stefan Molyneux.
And ideally he would combine that denunciation with an explanation of how their content directly inspires the hate that lead to the violence such as the one we saw in Christchurch.
And an extra plus would be a denunciation of chan culture and a recognition of the deeply engrained racism, sexism and just general hatred on these boards. Humor and free speech are not covers this filth should be able to hide under. Legally they might be able to do so, but Pewdiepie is not a judge but a content creator with a responsibility for 80+ million people, mostly children and teens - legal standards don't apply here.

Satine

Banned
Mar 15, 2019
The issue as I see it is that YouTube and other platforms funnel young people towards far right, alt-right and / or bigoted content producers who in turn radicalise these young people. Folks like Ben Shapiro, Lauren Southern, Molyneux and so on.
We can see that the Quebec mosque shooter was impacted heavily by the islamaphibic content producer, Ben Shapiro. I believe Shapiro was the content producer he most engaged with before the shooting.

PDP, the largest channel for young people on YouTube gave Ben Shapiro a platform in his videos and promoted him.
I'd say there's a reason why the alt-right, Ukip, The Daily Stormer and others aren't talking about Jack Septic Eye or Markiplier.

??
I'm personally not a fan of Shapiro, not because necessarily because of his content, but because he is the closest thing white supremacists can get to a role-model, and so he gets a large following of these people.
If you were to look at the vast majority you would see that most of his viewers are good people and people just looking for a debate. PDP does not at all have a following to this extent but it in times can be along the same lines

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
That makes much more sense, thanks! I have said that he needs to completely disapprove of white supremacist actions in that same post too.
I mean being named by a mass murderer and having loads of white supremacists following him and liking him I think its pretty clear what this guy stands for. There is no need to spin it. He will never distance himself from that because he is one himself and tries to normalize that behavious with humor, which is a known tactic.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Jan 20, 2019
This made me lol, I mean I dont even know what argumant you are trying to make here but the Nazi philosophy is made pretty clear by their actions during Hitlers reign. There's no need to spin it in any way or form, people understand what the Nazi philosophy is pretty well, which is white supremecy to the extreme. Hitler would have destroyed every by his own standard "non European" human if he had the chance to do so.

Nop.

The nazi philosophy was that every single human whould be tall, white and blond.

It was an atack against all races.

Edit:And blue eyes.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I mean being named by a mass murderer and having loads of white supremacists following him and liking him I think its pretty clear what this guy stands for. There is no need to spin it. He will never distance himself from that because he is one himself and tries to normalize that behavious with humor, which is a known tactic.
Don't forget all the Alt Right people he follows.
Pewdiepie might try to pretend he isn't, but he's very clearly Alt Right.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
If you were to look at the vast majority you would see that most of his viewers are good people and people just looking for a debate.
That's a funny way of saying "crypto-fascists clinging to the most allegedly respectable media figure they can find."

Ben Shaprio fans are not people acting in good faith who happen to like a controversial individual. They are the larval form of other types of white nationalist.

Satine

Banned
Mar 15, 2019
User Banned (permanent): Dismissing concerns of racism and bigotry over a series of posts, account in junior phase
Oh, sure. It's just kind of fascinating how disproportionately often that "somewhere" happens to be "defending racists".

Well, if you say so then obviously we have no reason to doubt it.

(kind of unusual to read that sentence without a "but... " clause appended).

And through my opinion, he has made mistakes, but is not in fact a racist.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm personally not a fan of Shapiro, not because necessarily because of his content, but because he is the closest thing white supremacists can get to a role-model, and so he gets a large following of these people.
If you were to look at the vast majority you would see that most of his viewers are good people and people just looking for a debate. PDP does not at all have a following to this extent but it in times can be along the same lines

My point is that we have a scenario where the largest content producer on YouTube is taking part in funneling influenceable young people towards channels like Shapiro.

Satine

Banned
Mar 15, 2019
That's a funny way of saying "crypto-fascists clinging to the most allegedly respectable media figure they can find."

Ben Shaprio fans are not people acting in good faith who happen to like a controversial individual. They are the larval form of other types of white nationalist.
Maybe quote the rest of my response

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
And through my opinion, he has made mistakes, but is not in fact a racist.
and him using the N word? What was that? Do you use the word? I mean he follows racists. He invites them on his show. He tweets to them. So he's cool with racist, friends with them even, says their words, but just isn't one of them?

He has a cult of White Supremacy of no doubt millions, and doesn't denounce it. Guess what? White Supremacy is racism.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
I've noticed that when such a horrifying event takes place, the emotional state it puts me in makes me very susceptible to group those even tangentially related and direct my overwhelming outrage at them. My brain knows this is not an effective way to convince those who hold political views which harm others. It takes work for me to overcome that and try and reset and believe the best in people again.

Satine

Banned
Mar 15, 2019
And make you look even worse? Sure.

You said you didn't have a problem with his content, which at the very least makes you indifferent about people who are very clearly headed down a rabbit hole of fascism.
Not at ll what I said. If he had the same content, but no cult following, then it would be better. Not good, but better.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
And here is a nice Who is Who of the alt-right/white supremacist community, right out of Pewdiepies Follow-List:

y6u4cT6.jpg

And here is a nice Who is Who of the alt-right/white supremacist community, right out of Pewdiepies Follow-List.
And just for the sake of it. Here's some videos going into why the multiple people on this list of follows are scumbags who perpetuate hate, bigotry and white supremacy:
From Three Arrows on:
Ben Shapiro and Others
Jordan Peterson

From Shaun on:
Stephan Molyneux
Lauren Southern: 1 & 2
Paul Joseph Watson: 1 & 2
General Alt-Right All-Stars

From H.Bomberguy on:
Various
and just for the hell of it PDP himself

From ContraPoints on:
Various & More

I could post more and probably will after a bit of breakfast. But this already is just the surface scrapings of the depths that PDP's posse sinks to.

EDIT:
More as promised:

Anti-Social Media on:
Paul Joseph Watson
And more PJW

Peter Coffin on:
Jordan Peterson feat. PDP
General

More Three Arrows on Ben Shapiro & General

EDIT: Adding even more to the endless list:
The Double Take on:
Lauren Southern