• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People should really drop the excuse "I follow plenty of people who have dissenting opinions from my own on Twitter and it doesn't mean I endorse them."

1. Anti-semitism, Nazism, bigotry, etc. are not dissenting opinions. They are beliefs. Beliefs that frequently lead to acts of violence, or worse, acts of genocide.

2. Following people like that can be considered an act endorsement.

Like, ya'll realize Twitter has always had a list function right? If you genuinely need to know or keep track of a person like that because they're frequently at the center of controversies or whatever, make a list. The list function is normally used to keep track of public figures or corporations or news accounts or whatever accounts without necessarily following them. You use lists like a resource for information or to keep up to date on events without clogging your feed. You can also name your lists, so if you make a list with Ben Sharpiro, Lauren Southern, Jordan B. Peterson, you can call the list The Idiot Brigade or whatever you want.

And following people like Ben Sharpiro, Lauren Southern, Jordan B. Peterson, etc., just tells me you genuinely hold interest in those people's words and actions to willingly follow them and to have them appear all over your timeline along with all the vile things they retweet.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
If he was a people-pleasing centrist, he would have liberals or leftists on his side but he doesn't and he follows mostly conservatives to far right figures.
unknown.png

Whatever motivation he has for being a bigot, it doesn't matter if deep deep deep down in his heart he's not racist, but in reality he's done plenty of racist and bigoted actions which shouldn't be downplayed. I haven't seen him be particularly progressive, either. So I don't buy this argument.
I hope Shaun tweets this list.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Quick litmus test for following media personalities: if they ever use "feminism" as a slur (even as a joke unless the joke is that they are idiots for doing so), bail the fuck out.
Agreed. I had to get off of Maximillian Dood for his association with Simmons, who regularly defends sexist weeb shit and makes fun of feminism on their streams and videos. It' s a shame too, as Maximillian seems like a great dude, and so does Kenny and Steve, but Simmons is a regressive bastard and I don't want to support something that partially supports him.

Feb 13, 2018
"I don't really like PewDiePie but..."

*proceeds to get banned for defending a racist fuck*

I am of color myself, and I live in germany. Trust me when I tell you I know what racism is. But tell me how is a proper discussion going to happen when everyone who is not of the opinion that 'Pewdie is CLEARLY a racist/sexist' gets framed as 'racist/sexist' himself? Also I don't think calling Pewdiepie a merciless capitalist (thats what I think about Pewdiepie) is defending him.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I know he follows a lot of conservative/right figures, but doesn't he also follow more democratic/liberal people? I know he adores Elon Musk, who has openly admitted to be ,libertarian'. But thats exactly my point. His actions are all over the place, you find hints for racism if you follow him closely but also hints of liberal views, sometimes the exact opposite. Thats what makes me believe he is a capitalist, who just says anything to get power and money.

Libertarian is very different from liberal. A lot of people you would consider conservatives here are libertarians.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. She misinterpreted that quote (it was sarcastic) but repeatedly says, over and over again in her videos, that trans-women are women. You could easily argue this viewpoint is countermanded by her willingness to give shitty people a seat at the table, but it's still a far cry to me from being literally anyone else on that list.

She also keeps retweeting other people who are on this list, and heavily defended Milo Yiannopoulos. I'm not sure what to tell you, but someone who really is left will not go to great lengths to protect the platforms of alt-right figureheads.
Strange bedfellows and all that. She may not be as bad as Ben Shapiro or Stefan Molyneux, but she definitely is in the same league as h3h3 or AlphaOmegaSin, at the very least.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
She also keeps retweeting other people who are on this list, and heavily defended Milo Yiannopoulos. I'm not sure what to tell you, but someone who really is left will not go to great lengths to protect the platforms of alt-right figureheads.
Strange bedfellows and all that. She may not be as bad as Ben Shapiro or Stefan Molyneux, but she definitely is in the same league as h3h3 or AlphaOmegaSin, at the very least.
Well, we can agree that her views on "free speech" are misguided at best.

I've seen a lot of her videos and 90%+ seem like relatively standard liberal/feminist views. It just seems she has this sticking point that everyone should be allowed to say what they want to as many people as they want, as though it doesn't cause real damage.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, we can agree that her views on "free speech" are misguided at best.

I've seen a lot of her videos and 90%+ seem like relatively standard liberal/feminist views. It just seems she has this sticking point that everyone should be allowed to say what they want to as many people as they want, as though it doesn't cause real damage.

That's why she's on the list.
She may have somewhat more progressive views on feminism, but she still is mingling with all the wrong people, she still defends them to the bone, and she still uses some of their (freeze peach) rhetoric in her videos.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh well then that's all good then

personally, and this is just me, but if someone shouted my name before murdering 49 people i would probably take longer than 24 hours to reflect

but, again, that's just me
Just before anyone gets the wrong idea - I'm not defending, just stating the facts. Personally I think he should have at least addressed the matter if not taking a longer longer break.

wow 24 hours of a youtubers equivalent to flags at half mast. incredible, truly an angel!

Chill down. I haven't said one word about what I think about it in the post you quoted.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
just stating the facts
Just because that's what he's always done that doesn't mean he should have continued to do it. The fact that he didn't upload for a day shows that this isn't some unstoppable machine, but he just chose to keep going regardless. There is really no reason to bring this up except for in defence of him. He chose to just push ahead, that's on him, he is entirely in control of his schedule and this is what he chose to do

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because that's what he's always done that doesn't mean he should have continued to do it. The fact that he didn't upload for a day shows that this isn't some unstoppable machine, but he just chose to keep going regardless. There is really no reason to bring this up except for in defence of him. He chose to just push ahead, that's on him, he is entirely in control of his schedule and this is what he chose to do
I'm not really defending him...? He has done enough stupid shit, there is enough stuff to leash on. I just corrected the fact he wouldn't even pause - or push the release of a produced video. Which he did tho.
Is it enough? I don't think so. He should have acknowledged it. It's totally fair and valid to say "nope, pushing a video for 24h is not enough". I'm just not a fan of stating something without looking if its true, that's all.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really defending him...? He has done enough stupid shit, there is enough stuff to leash on. I just corrected the fact he wouldn't even pause - or push the release of a produced video. Which he did tho.
Is it enough? I don't think so. He should have acknowledged it. It's totally fair and valid to say "nope, pushing a video for 24h is not enough". I'm just not a fan of stating something without looking if its true, that's all.
24 hours isn't even a blip on the radar. it's not worth acknowledging. 'to be fair' you've been nothing but wishy washy in this thread and i'm not going to tip toe around it.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
He had the opportunity to make a video truly condeming racism, he could even do it in a politically correct way, but he knows that would make him lose followers. He is very important to racist lunatics because they felft like they belong in the mainstream through him. Not saying he is racist (though the difference in being one and enabling them is not important), but at least he is being greedy and selfish

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yep, and they know this.
It's just muddying up the conversation using bad faith tactics.
That's the frustrating part. Everyone perfectly understands what everyone else is saying, but we still always have to go through this charade. It would be so much easier if people would just be like "yeah, pewdiepie is racist but i don't care and/or actively support it". Just stop making us play this dumb, boring game every time

Sep 12, 2018
That's the frustrating part. Everyone perfectly understands what everyone else is saying, but we still always have to go through this charade. It would be so much easier if people would just be like "yeah, pewdiepie is racist but i don't care and/or actively support it". Just stop making us play this dumb, boring game every time
It reminds me of when people were talking about Cuphead's art and how it's drawing from cartoons that were often incredibly racist and a load of these anti-essjaydubyoos went "oh so you think the game is RACIST now!"

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It reminds me of when people were talking about Cuphead's art and how it's drawing from cartoons that were often incredibly racist and a load of these anti-essjaydubyoos went "oh so you think the game is RACIST now!"
Yeah, it's all just anger at an outrage that doesn't really exist to preemptively try to dismiss other people's legitimate concern. It's not a good tactic and rarely works and is transparent as fuck

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Well, this guy had a fucking manifesto full of stupid memes.
And the subscribe 2 pdp is/was a meme, there's something here but I don't think PDP is the biggest problem.