• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Objectively speaking, any donation is a good thing.

Specifically about Pewdiepie though, he's rich af and I can't trust he actually believes in any good cause so this donation is probably just to negate any negativity from him. I guess he makes $50k a day just from his Youtube views/ads anyway. Still, a good thing but hypocritical as well.

May 13, 2019
This is like Notch donating to AGDQ. The money is appreciated, doesn't mean the person donating it is less of a bigot.

Wait...that post is from him?
From the way it's written it sounds like some nazi/globalist conspiracy garbage whining about the "MSM".

And honestly, a millionaire donating 50k to an at-best questionable organization is not going to somehow clear away any wrongdoings.
These are the correct takes as far as I'm concerned.
I learned from resetera that if you done anything bad in your life it's impossible to redeem yourself.
Yeah, I get holding people responsible for their shit, and I get that some wrongs can't and shouldn't be cleared away, but people on this site are literally incapable of entertaining the notion of someone having grown as a person, changed their views, or just having become a better human being.
You know what they say: to err is human, to forgive divine. I don't there are any deities browsing this site.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It's hard for me to think he's grown and changed as a person if he's spouting the same "MSM are out to get me and misreport the Christ Church shootings!" lines.
He is defending his own involvement in the Church shootings, in that he feels he doesn't have as much to do with it as the media thinks he does. I disagree with him on that, and I think he is just trying to make it easier for him to live with himself.
That said, he is also making very clear and tangible attempts at helping to reverse the kind of damage he has helped cause. I am willing to let him lie to himself to be at peace with himself if that is what it takes.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'm not going to criticize this move because it's going to do good, and confuse some of his hateful fanbase. Hopefully this is a move towards the up and up for him. He's a huge role model so he needs to clean it up.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone would suddenly believe Trump wasn't a racist shithead if he donated a small amount to perhaps RAICES or NAACP.
In fact most people would facepalm at how obvious of an attempt at damage control that would be.

Trump is a malignant narcissistic sociopath who is too far gone to reflect on his own behaviour.

PDP has an inflated ego, but I don't think he's anywhere near as hopeless as Trump.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not only is this a non-apology, why is he donating to anti-anti-Semetic group when the Christchurch shooter targeted a mosque?

Also the ADL is racist and Islamphobic. So what good is this?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really redeem him at all, but giving $50K to the ADL is still a good thing, and if it sends hardline Alt-right megachuds into frothing fits, that's even better.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Of course people will still complain.....

It's money for a good cause. How much have you donated this year? Doesn't matter if he's a dick or how much of his networth that is

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
A one time donation doesn't clear his slate. It's one of those things where he will need to be watched to see if he's actually learned and grown. Although the cynic in me feels like we'll be talking about him saying the n word or joking about Jews in 6 to 12 months

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Oh damn you're right, let's say if it was the founder of Papa John's instead. Or maybe Hulk Hogan? Or Perhaps Donald Sterling?
Would you suddenly believe them if they acted "repentant" by donating 50k to an unrelated organization?
I'd be willing to extend the benefit of the doubt, and keep an eye on them to see if this was a one off PR move, or if they actually were continuing to follow up on their alleged good sentiment. I wouldn't dismiss it off the cuff like people here are eager to do.
I'm willing to believe people get better with time, and I am willing to give them the chance and the encouragement to do so. Maybe that makes me an idiot that bad people will take advantage of, but I would rather be disappointed 99 times and vindicated once, than never be vindicated at all because I couldn't believe in the inherent goodness of other people.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
In Tuesday's video in which Kjellberg first announces his donation, he does not address any controversies specifically, but says, "I made a lot of mistakes on the way, but I've grown." He continued, "I feel like I have at least. I feel like I've finally come to terms with the responsibility I have as a creator — about 100 million subs too late, but you know."

He started to give money to a really questionnable organisation and he thinks he grown up. OK dude.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
He is defending his own involvement in the Church shootings, in that he feels he doesn't have as much to do with it as the media thinks he does. I disagree with him on that, and I think he is just trying to make it easier for him to live with himself.
That said, he is also making very clear and tangible attempts at helping to reverse the kind of damage he has helped cause. I am willing to let him lie to himself to be at peace with himself if that is what it takes.

When I read his comments, most specifically the image posted in the OG post, it reads as "I'm not at fault it's the MSM so I want to do a one time donation instead of long standing change." I'm open to him changing and WANT him to, he's an incredibly influential individual and shouldn't be pulling the stuff he's done before.

Instead of going "here's what he shouldn't have done" I'll go the other way, here's what he could have done for me to think he's changed. Mention the Christ Church shooter and how it has bothered him since then, talk about how he has thought about it and he now understands criticism of his comments and "jokes", he is donating money to some charity to start the discussion of this issue and this is the start of a longer journey, and don't blame others for his actions.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
People on Era need to learn that a person is not worth one act, and one act alone.

And this is a single act. And probably the easiest thing he could do, to deflect people who criticize him for his misdeeds. Of course I'd love for him to show he has changed. But, from reading the accompanying message, it's very clear he believe he was wronged, that he hasn't done anything to warrant all the criticism he's got over the years.

Guess time will tell.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i get wanting to forgive people and feel like they've grown and improved.

but i think you need to ask yourself whether it really looks like someone has actually 1) understood what they did wrong, 2) understood why it was wrong and who it hurt, and 3) made meaningful efforts to repudiate their past behavior and make amends with the people affected.

PDP is still saying that he's been misrepresented and this is an attempt to put everything behind him. i don't think you can seriously say he's even aware of how he fucked up.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Throwing money at something doesn't automatically say "I've evolved on these stances."
ESPECIALLY when he's still talking about the goddamn MSM in his post. How many actual honest people do that?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I guess the alt right can move on to the next thing they think falls into the weird ass parameters it sets. (Not defending pewdiepie)

Joker movie?

May 13, 2019
I'm willing to believe people get better with time, and I am willing to give them the chance and the encouragement to do so. Maybe that makes me an idiot that bad people will take advantage of, but I would rather be disappointed 99 times and vindicated once, than never be vindicated at all because I couldn't believe in the inherent goodness of other people.
At least you appear to have some self-awareness. That's good to know.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully he can start to change, and use his popularity and wealth for good.

Obviously this doesn't instantly redeem him, but it'd be nice to finally see him genuinely try.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good thing no matter how you look at it.

It will never be enough for some people though.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
He's probably been thinking about the Christchurch thing for a while now. He's stated that he regretted continuing with the whole "sub to pewdiepie" campaign after that happened, so it's been weighing on him.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Too bad it hasn't just been one act.
Sure. I'm saying I'm willing to believe he can grow from his shitheel days

And this is a single act. And probably the easiest thing he could do, to deflect people who criticize him for his misdeeds. Of course I'd love for him to show he has changed. But, from reading the accompanying message, it's very clear he believe he was wronged, that he hasn't done anything to warrant all the criticism he's got over the years.

Guess time will tell.
Yeah. I don't think his slate is clear. I just don't dismiss the possibility that it might be one day, if he keeps making active efforts to undo the damage he caused.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I learned from resetera that if you done anything bad in your life it's impossible to redeem yourself.

Look here guy with year with old account and barley hundred posts, so odds are, this isn't in good faith:

We've had this same song and dance from Pew. He does something outrageous. He catches heat for it. He makes a non-apology. Only to do something outrageous again. Thus continuing the cycle.

So of course people are not gonna instantly forgive the prick for this shit.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Great. Maybe he's starting understand a little bit of the influence he has. Next step is to stop saying nigger, or if you do "slip up", at least try not to blow it off as a "heated gamer moment".

Of course not. But repeat offenses make it harder to give the benefit of ththe doubt. This is still a good thing though.