• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
I don't see any apology here. Just whining about the MSM and trying to paint himself as forgiving people who wronged him.

May 13, 2019
TIL the Anti-Defamation League is antisemitic and Islamophobic, apparently?
When Minnesota Representative Ilhan Omar was attacked in March for "invoking the anti-Semitic trope of 'dual loyalty'" in her criticisms of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)—a Jewish non-govermental organization based in the United States, whose stated mission is "to stop the defamation of the Jewish people, and to secure justice and fair treatment to all"—was among the first to call on Congressional leaders to "take immediate action" against her.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's mostly a mix of several repeated offenses, and that the way it came out of his mouth sounded like if he used it on a common basis. And I don't think I need to explain why you should never use the n word

I will preface this - idgaf about pewdiepie, this is more about the idea of people changing.

Do you think it is not possible for people to change how they act or react, how they perceive a situation, person, class of people, etc?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
This is good any way you look at it. Now let's see if it's just PR or he's really trying to change.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
TIL the Anti-Defamation League is antisemitic and Islamophobic, apparently?
Not really anti-Semitic, but anti-Arab and dedicated to further subjugating and removing the Palestinian population from Israel. They have conducted surveillance on communities of color and basically exist as a propaganda arm of the right wing of Israel's government. They have also been condemned by antizionist Jewish organizations such as IJAN.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Worth it just to see the alt right squirm at the donation. Hopefully he keeps it up because he's got a long way to go before anyone should truly be forgiving of his actions.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
He should have taken a stand a long time ago, but you know what? good for him. I hope this is the path he's taking towards redemption and he starts speaking out and doing more charity work to piss off and alienate his alt-right fans.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Hyperbole aside, my sentiment is that he would send a message a hundred times more powerful if he took a stand against bigotry and racism in his channel and social media. Instead of continuously believe mainstream media is trying to attack him, he could admit to being wrong in some stances, and tell his fans that some jokes just go too far. I will believe he's changed (at least to the public) when he admits to past wrongdoings, and that what he says and do carries a shitton of weight (he is, after all, the largest YouTuber in the world). His words here don't give me much hope.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with this even if he didn't exactly word his explanation in a way I liked. That's a good chunk of money and will do good work. That and seeing his shittier fans lose it over this is fun.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I will preface this - idgaf about pewdiepie, this is more about the idea of people changing.

Do you think it is not possible for people to change how they act or react, how they perceive a situation, person, class of people, etc?
I believe it is possible, but after multiple incidents with Pewdiepie, I'm not sure it will ever happen. This is a first good step, but it's still only a step.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I don't follow his content so most of my exposure is through the controversies, but this can only be a good thing. I hope this is a signal of his growth as a person and if he shows that he can use his influence for genuine good I am more than happy to support that.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I don't care what this fucker does. His youtube stream comments are literal cancer. I am gobsmacked this many children are gonna grow into pure idiocy. Sure, he may have tamed his rhetoric and absolutely stupid schtick, but dear god man it's so apparent from his comments section how dumb these kids are gonna be unless they get some serious help.

Not really anti-Semitic, but anti-Arab and dedicated to further subjugating and removing the Palestinian population from Israel. They have conducted surveillance on communities of color and basically exist as a propaganda arm of the right wing of Israel's government. They have also been condemned by antizionist Jewish organizations such as IJAN.

Yes, if you are in any way for Palestinian rights, there is no way in hell you would ever stand okay for the ADL. They are basically Israel propaganda in the states. I am sure they do some good work too, just saying there are two sides to that conflict and the ADL has been completely ridiculous in the past on multiple occasions with their fear mongering, racism, et cetera. That should never be overlooked by anyone period just because this guy gives a company a bunch of cash to say SORRY.

Also, the ADL is as pro-semitic as it gets when that term is just used for THEIR OWN people, which is basically all it means to them. Semitic means a lot of things, which a lot of people don't understand. It's not a Jewish term in itself and never can be.

Little bit weird how many people on this site are just A Okay with the guy as long as he brings out that wallet of his. No thanks.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Famous example of self-victimization donates money to Anti-Defamation League.

I know there's context to this, but it reads very funny to me.

Anyway, woohoo, you spent a fraction of your riches to make it look like you are sorry about your bullshit, bullshit that (allegedly) led to a anti-semetic mass shooting! And your key phrase is "I just want to move on from this."

What a fucking disasterpiece this guy is. I hope the victims of the shooting can successfully sue this ass for compensation, he's shown nothing but a desire to escape the bad press he's associated with, and he deserves his shittier fans getting crazy. Lord only knows what he'll inspire next with this nonsense.

God, this guy sucks. Money means a lot less then action, and nothing you've done has truly paid back the people you've hurt. You should have added another zero at least, anyway.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Went ahead and watched the video mentioned in the article, and, well, it's his "unboxing youtube 100 mil award video," so y'know having a one-note somber pat on the back in such a video does not come across as strongly genuine as it could, and that twitter message is also oddly lukewarm, but the act itself is a good start towards taking responsibility as a public figure, which he himself acknowledges.

The circumstances surrounding this is wild, though- apparently 4chan warping a fanbase's public perception of an organization like the ADL? whatta shitshow.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yes

But honestly, pewdiepie isn't going to be that person.

And if by a holy miracle he does change, no one's obligated to forgive him for his past actions.

So there's no reason to bring this up in the first place.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible how little it takes to be redeemed from being a racist shithead.

Just give some pennies to a racist organization, apologize for nothing, learn nothing and keep spreading fake news and conspiracy theories.

It's almost like people never gave a shit to begin with and were just frothing at the mouth to freely show their support of Shitpie.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Solid move, Pewdiepie. I think this really resonates well and sends a good message. Some of his messaging is a little questionable, but overall, solid.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cancel culture leading to successful creators donating tens of thousands to worthy causes, what is the world coming to

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
*is racist*

*courts shitheel fans*

"I'm the victim"

*donates money*

"I hope we can move past this"

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, we've been here before, not just with him but also others like Ion Fury devs who flip flopped on a whim of the internet. If it sticks then great, but I wont give him props untill more strides are made and more time passes. You cant buy yourself a good opinon, especially with a sum thats pretty "paltry" to him all things considered. We shall see I suppose.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes

But honestly, pewdiepie isn't going to be that person.

And if by a holy miracle he does change, no one's obligated to forgive him for his past actions.

So there's no reason to bring this up in the first place.

Given the conversation I was engaging in, I have a few reasons to bring it up, so I'm not sure why you replied the way you did given that's it isn't constructive.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Could have picked a much better organization. ADL promotes apartheid, white supremacy, and islamophobia on the regular. The alt-right should feel right at home with them.

I was genuinely worried this wouldn't be up on the first page. The ADL is not the worst but they sure do try sometimes.

Sounds like he hasn't donated the money yet anyway, so I'm curious if he'll even actually do so or just hope everyone forgets (see also: the numerous billionaires promising money to Notre Dame that still hasn't materialized)

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling
Don't bother Felix, you said a bad word that one time and resetera will never forget. We sure forget about other bad stuff very quickly though, I wonder why.

This is a good thing, not matter how you look at it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He's still not admitting he did anything wrong. "My clash with the MSM was manipulated into a tool of destruction". Uh-huh.
Exactly.

Doesn't mention his racist comments.
Doesn't mention his racist actions.
Doesn't bring up the fact he was following nearly every alt right/IDW shit on twitter until he stopped following everyone one day after being called out on it.
Doesn't acknowledge that his actions have helped lead fans down the road to radicalisation by normalising bigotry and promoting bigots.

No, instead it's apparently all about the media who manipulated the truth to twist it into something it isnt.

Fuck PDP and anyone who comes out defending him because a multimillionaire gave away $50k is a fool.

"oh but the bigots are angry with him now"

For every person pissed off at him for thinking he has forsaken the cause, another will think he is just playing the game and hiding his power level from normies.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't mind people saying they can change but we're at attempt #23231 of PDP making public excuses.
We've done that song and dance before, the one difference is that he's open his wallet now.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
ADL is literally an anti-bigotry league. Him donating to them indicates he is willing to use his "brand" to stand against bigotry, no matter what he did in the past.

People on Era need to learn that a person is not worth one act, and one act alone. PDP is a shithead, and has acted like one in the past. That doesn't mean he can't try to change, or that he can't put himself on a path to redemption. He can, and hopefully he goes through with it. We should be hoping for that, for him as a person to be redeemed, and him as a public figure to be making a stand for the right thing, rather than continuing to treat him with suspicion when he is literally putting his money where his mouth is for the right thing. I understand being wary, so am I. But don't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of someone growing and getting better with time. Too many people on Era, most people on Era, fail to account for that, in their haste to "cancel".

Great post

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing personal to him, but seen folks go for this pop before, then a year later the org is still waiting for the money.

It's not uncommon for a celebrity to make a major story out of donating as a means of "making amends" and then just going radio silent and not actually do anything. And unfortunately people will take that silence and assume the donation was sent anyway, because people naturally assume good faith and forward momentum.