• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ADL is literally an anti-bigotry league. Him donating to them indicates he is willing to use his "brand" to stand against bigotry, no matter what he did in the past.

People on Era need to learn that a person is not worth one act, and one act alone. PDP is a shithead, and has acted like one in the past. That doesn't mean he can't try to change, or that he can't put himself on a path to redemption. He can, and hopefully he goes through with it. We should be hoping for that, for him as a person to be redeemed, and him as a public figure to be making a stand for the right thing, rather than continuing to treat him with suspicion when he is literally putting his money where his mouth is for the right thing. I understand being wary, so am I. But don't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of someone growing and getting better with time. Too many people on Era, most people on Era, fail to account for that, in their haste to "cancel".
if you think ADL is a good cause, then pewdiepie getting "canceled" (???) led to him donating a large sum to a good cause. what's the harm in being skeptical when he shows almost no change?

Also people in this thread complaining about "black and white" mentality while also saying donating money once redeems a person lol

Jan 10, 2018
Of course people will still complain.....

It's money for a good cause. How much have you donated this year? Doesn't matter if he's a dick or how much of his networth that is

Harvey Weinstein donated more money. Donald Trump donates money.

If you think not donating money makes someone bad and donating good, than psychopaths have a bridge to sell to you.

May 13, 2019
Exactly.

Doesn't mention his racist comments.
Doesn't mention his racist actions.
Doesn't bring up the fact he was following nearly every alt right/IDW shit on twitter until he stopped following everyone one day after being called out on it.
Doesn't acknowledge that his actions have helped lead fans down the road to radicalisation by normalising bigotry and promoting bigots.

No, instead it's apparently all about the media who manipulated the truth to twist it into something it isnt.

Fuck PDP and anyone who comes out defending him because a multimillionaire gave away $50k is a fool.

"oh but the bigots are angry with him now"

For every person pissed off at him for thinking he has forsaken the cause, another will think he is just playing the game and hiding his power level from normies.
Excellent takedown. Let's see now how many will try to address this instead of just dismiss it because it doesn't fit the narrative they're trying to push.

Ewo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in how this affects people who look up to him than what it means about his own character. It's not like he could do anything that would get me to watch him, but if he cleans up his act, others might do the same.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Good. I honestly believe PDP is a good (unnecessarily edgy at times) guy, but he's never taken responsibility for his toxic fanbase outside of blank statements afaik. Hope to see more of this in the future.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
glad to see he is trying to do something about all the shit he caused.

please close r/pewdiepiesubmissions now.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Take a stand and don't "move on" from this, keep being vocal about the problems of bigotry. Should've done this sooner too, but if he keeps it up it can only be a good thing.

Oct 27, 2017
ADL is literally an anti-bigotry league. Him donating to them indicates he is willing to use his "brand" to stand against bigotry, no matter what he did in the past.

People on Era need to learn that a person is not worth one act, and one act alone. PDP is a shithead, and has acted like one in the past. That doesn't mean he can't try to change, or that he can't put himself on a path to redemption. He can, and hopefully he goes through with it. We should be hoping for that, for him as a person to be redeemed, and him as a public figure to be making a stand for the right thing, rather than continuing to treat him with suspicion when he is literally putting his money where his mouth is for the right thing. I understand being wary, so am I. But don't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of someone growing and getting better with time. Too many people on Era, most people on Era, fail to account for that, in their haste to "cancel".
This ain't about one act. He's constantly showed us who he is.

He still who he was.

Jan 10, 2018
I will preface this - idgaf about pewdiepie, this is more about the idea of people changing.

Do you think it is not possible for people to change how they act or react, how they perceive a situation, person, class of people, etc?
Possible yea, but..
I don't see any apology here. Just whining about the MSM and trying to paint himself as forgiving people who wronged him.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I learned from resetera that if you done anything bad in your life it's impossible to redeem yourself.
Seriously. I don't watch this channel and don't see a reason why I ever would, but what I see here is a young man trying to learn and grow as humans do in a strange new environment that still does not have any clear definition on what it is or what it should be. Youtube and social media didn't even exist when I was 29.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to think maybe he's realizing that no matter what kind of shit justification or attempt at edge humor he thinks he's doing ; his words and actions have massive influence even outside of what he thinks or intends to influence, so good on him for this.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Excellent takedown. Let's see now how many will try to address this instead of just dismiss it because it doesn't fit the narrative they're trying to push.
Don't worry, instead people will attack me for not allowing people to change.

People can change, redemption can be earned, but not once has PDP shown anything remotely close to actual understanding or acceptance for his actions, so a rich person giving away the equivalent of pennies while continuing to attribute the cause of all this on media misinterpretation gets no applause from me.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. I don't watch this channel and don't see a reason why I ever would, but what I see here is a young man trying to learn and grow as humans do in a strange new environment that still does not have any clear definition on what it is or what it should be. Youtube and social media didn't even exist when I was 29.
what evidence do you see of an attempt to learn or grow?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I don't watch his content, but he doesn't come off as a bad guy, despite saying some bad things.

But that's kind of irrelevant when you have 50m+ fans (many of whom are easily impressionable children that look up to him).

This is a nice gesture though, and hopefully he follows through speaking out against the type of things he used to say and do, which would be far more impactful than a donation.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In the aftermath of a deadly, anti-Muslim mass shooting inspired partly by the anarchic meme humor PDP represents, the thing people are concerned most about is whether or not ERA is willing to totally absolve a YouTuber of all past wrongdoing over a single donation.

Clown shoes.

Oct 27, 2017
I admit I'm just too old to sign on to "this is a good thing, no matter how you look at it".

So ok, money is donated (to an org that is not perfect either). Is this donation an attempt to enjoin or continue a conversation, or put it to rest for good?

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm honestly tired of this "donate and make up for your fuck ups without having to change" mentality. That said, at least he donated to a cause that his followers hate.

Now, PDP should, you know, actually change. I would love if YouTubers like MatPat actually held him accountable for his actions instead of crying conspiracy when the "MSM" reports on him.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I'm honestly tired of this "donate and make up for your fuck ups without having to change" mentality. That said, at least he donated to a cause that his followers hate.

Now, PDP should, you know, actually change. I would love if YouTubers like MatPat actually held him accountable for his actions instead of crying conspiracy when the "MSM" reports on him.
Agreed.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

well said.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Precisely the reasons I'm not willing to waste my time. There is no reason to be so insulting. I can only presume you too are learning and growing.
Well when you don't have reasons and want to defend someone like pewdiepie than that says all i need to know

What would make it count?
addressing all of this

Exactly.

Doesn't mention his racist comments.
Doesn't mention his racist actions.
Doesn't bring up the fact he was following nearly every alt right/IDW shit on twitter until he stopped following everyone one day after being called out on it.
Doesn't acknowledge that his actions have helped lead fans down the road to radicalisation by normalising bigotry and promoting bigots.

No, instead it's apparently all about the media who manipulated the truth to twist it into something it isnt.

Fuck PDP and anyone who comes out defending him because a multimillionaire gave away $50k is a fool.

"oh but the bigots are angry with him now"

For every person pissed off at him for thinking he has forsaken the cause, another will think he is just playing the game and hiding his power level from normies

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
I'm glad he made the donation, though I'd rather he gave his money to the SPLC. It counts for nothing if he doesn't try to guide his many fans away from hatred and towards tolerance. We'll see.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Literally hush money, but it's a good thing at least so credit where its due

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
A broken clock's right twice a day! I just hope he makes more moves to "fix" himself and his image. The $50k's good if it goes through, but if he's still doing dumb hateful shit a month from now it'll just ring hollow. People can change but they actually need to commit to it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I can't stand his videos LOL.

But of course, that's beside the point. I'd like to, and I am going to, give him the benefit of the doubt here. People can change and it's hard to get a bigger wake up call than the church incident.

Plus I have to consider glass houses and stones. In the 90s, jokes, bits, and comedy sketches about about Hitler and by extension, the Holocaust, became popular. I was a teenager during that time. Our generation had a very limited appreciation for the threat of fascism to begin with, and I think all the joking around in mainstream comedy may have served to trivialize things. These comedy bits were not smart satire like Mel Brooks would do. These were cheaper jokes, and more numerous. See: borat's ironic anti-semitism.

These jokes were earnestly meant to make Hitler, fascists, etc forever the butt of our jokes. Unfortunately, I think the younger among Us may have not understood that message correctly. Instead, we simply thought Hitler, Nazis, and the Holocaust were just plain funny. And long after I grew to appreciate the gravity of the Holocaust, I remained desensitized to that of humor.

So yes, I thought PC Master race was a cute moniker. I thought Borat jew Jew monster was funny. It took until 2016 and the rise of trump for me to realize "we've made a horrible mistake". What did we ever even think was funny about that?!

An old dog can in fact learn new tricks. In the space of a year, I went from not batting an eye at these kind of jokes to being extremely sensitive about it. And I feel tremendous guilt for not seeing how these jokes turned into normalization and eventually radicalization, right under our noses.

Decades later, we have a young man putting up a sign that says death to all Jews for the entertainment of our children. And lo: the rise of white supremacy among young men in America.

As the greatest generation dies off, we have lost our cultural memory of the absolute horror of those events. Hopefully this guy can clean up his act and realize these "jokes" are worse than just not funny.