• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC

Not a fan of PDP but... "apparently you cannot redeem yourself if you did something bad in the past" seems to be a motto here.

I do, however, absolutely agree he should be using his MASSIVE platform to speak out against the racist, sexist and homophobic shit his followers tend to be about.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
A 50k donation from him is like me donating $5 to stop someone from making too much noise about me being a racist.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
look why won't you accept this redemption story from the guy who still has a chip on his shoulder about how the "MSM" "misrepresented" that time he had people write "death to all jews" on a sign

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of PDP but... "apparently you cannot redeem yourself if you did something bad in the past" seems to be a motto here.

I do, however, absolutely agree he should be using his MASSIVE platform to speak out against the racist, sexist and homophobic shit his followers tend to be about.
Than you are not reading the thread if you think that's the takeaway, he can absolutely redeem himself, this maybe is a change but there's no proof of that right now.

laser

Feb 17, 2018

It's up to each individual person to decide when they feel somebody has shown remorse for past actions. There's no groupthink here. Different people have different thresholds.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice gesture and could potentially be a step in the right direction for him, but he needs to continue to show that he is trying to improve.

As others have said, that statement is pretty weird and deflective, and it does sort of feel like he's just trying to buy his way back into good favor. For all we know he could end having another "heated gamer moment" in the near future.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Could anyone tell me what the Anti-Defamation League is?

It's a nice gesture, anyways.. hopefully.. I think.. can anyone tell me..?

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Jfc, what's with the "omg it's not enough money" comments? 50k is a huge donation by any metric. You can still hate the guy if you want but to say 50 thousand dollars is anything less than a shitload of money is absurd.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Donating to charity? Great!

Tripling down on the "big bad MSM are the 'real' issue?" Yeah, he can still go fuck himself.

He could have easily made the donation anonymously, made no statement, and been content with the self-satisfaction that he "did the right thing." Doing this, and publicly going "MSM BAD!" while still turning a blind eye to the role he played still makes him look like the attention seeking, piece of garbage that anybody with even half a mind knows that he is.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rich people often only donate money for tax purposes. Of course he would also choose something that makes him look good in the process.

oh wow, now he gets a 12.5k tax relief! rich people win again!

jesus, get over yourself. he essentially gave 37.5k which is still a lot of money.

all these figures are assumptions from my basic googling about tax in the UK

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh wow, now he gets a 12.5k tax relief! rich people win again!

jesus, get over yourself. he essentially gave 37.5k which is still a lot of money.

all these figures are assumptions from my basic googling about tax in the UK
For someone with public reach, the value of preaching to the audience is far greater than the dollar amount of a one-time gesture that's supposed to symbolize what you can instead preach to the audience .

The donation and dollar amount means very little.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For someone with public reach, the value of preaching to the audience is far greater than the dollar amount of a one-time gesture that's supposed to symbolize what you can instead preach to the audience .

The donation and dollar amount means very little.

Every dollar helps. Also, who are we to say that it's a one-time gesture? His video just came out this week. Let's wait and see what happens.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every dollar helps. Also, who are we to say that it's a one-time gesture? This video just came out this week. Let's wait and see what happens.
Change "one time gesture" to "recurring annual donation of $50,000", it doesn't change the analysis.

A donation itself is a singular event and it's not some earth-shattering amount that will alter the ADL's day-to-day operations.

Directly, repeatedly, insistently spreading anti-hate messages to his audience would have value and impact. This doesn't. It generates buzz and discussion and then fades away and leaves the remaining 364 days of the year.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The donation is good but his statement makes it sound a lot like he's throwing money at the problem to make it go away/to feel better about himself rather than reflecting why the ADL spoke out against him in the first place, and why he landed in hot water with the media. I wish it was more reflective of growth and understanding, but it's a step in the right direction I suppose.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
The return to mostly video game streaming, YouTube actually acknowledging him getting to 100 million subs, this gesture -- lots of things pointing to PDP's corner time being over, and YouTube or others maybe helping him to make the right next steps. Whether that's good or not is up to you, but it's interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Change "one time gesture" to "recurring annual donation of $50,000", it doesn't change the analysis.

A donation itself is a singular event and it's not some earth-shattering amount that will alter the ADL's day-to-day operations.

Directly, repeatedly, insistently spreading anti-hate messages to his audience would have value and impact. This doesn't. It generates buzz and discussion and then fades away and leaves the remaining 364 days of the year.

When I said wait and see if it's a one-time gesture, I didn't mean monetary donations only. I mean, I get your point, that's why let's wait see if his future actions would reflect this. People are so quick to comment with 'meh, this is only blah blah blah' when it hasn't been even a full week. If he goes back to his old ways then by all means, feel free to tear into him.

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like the same kind of non-apology he always pulls after a controversy. And with a donation that is a chump change for him on top.

Unless he stops doing stupid things completely and openly denounces the right-wingers in his fanbase this changes zero.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I said wait and see if it's a one-time gesture, I didn't mean monetary donations only. I mean, I get your point, that's why let's wait see if his future actions would reflect this. People are so quick to comment with 'meh, this is only blah blah blah' when it hasn't been even a full week. If he goes back to his old ways then by all means, feel free to tear into him.
That's totally fair. I'm admittedly giving an instant reaction here because it came in the form of a donation.

The amount is easy to criticize given the guy's wealth, but even if it were a large donation, donations are easy: they don't require prolonged investments of time and effort, i.e., work.

But even if I'm doubtful about what'll happen moving forward, we don't know for sure what'll happen.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
It's neat he donated, but his statement on it doesn't quite sound so much like "I'm not the way they portrayed me and this is the first step in demonstrating it" as it does a way to deflect criticism. I hope he's legitimately changing and growing.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I've never thought PDP was a bad guy at heart - at his core.

I've always thought he was just a guy that wanted to play games and not be a mouthpiece for much of anyone or anything in the broader culture.

I just think he's immature and doesn't care much/think much about the experience minorities and others not like him experience. He just wants to have his "LOLs" and live his life superficially. That social responsibility just isn't a major part of his worldview or moral make-up.

...which WOULD be fair enough - everyone is just out there living their life, and there's always someone more virtuous than someone else- except when he's in a position of EXTREME influence and has such an incredible amount of sway over such a huge number of impressionable young kids. In that context, his immature actions and poorly-thought-out-antics take on a more sinister, serious tact, and he deserves the criticism he's received for seemingly doubling down on some of his worst impulses over the years, instead of reflecting on them and learning from them.

He was at a turning point a few years ago where he could have turned to Chaotic Good and instead doubled down on Chaotic Neutral (at best) in other words.

But that said I still get the impression that that was just more immaturity speaking, and general carelessness and callousness. I don't think it's too late for him to become a bit more self-reflective, but I suspect it'll still be a bumpy road.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Than you are not reading the thread if you think that's the takeaway, he can absolutely redeem himself, this maybe is a change but there's no proof of that right now.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to lay a blanket statement out. I've just seen a lot of purity test posts concerning people doing/saying dumb shit. With PDP, he's a grown ass man and should've known better and should've been taking responsibility a LONG time ago.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I didn't mean to lay a blanket statement out. I've just seen a lot of purity test posts concerning people doing/saying dumb shit. With PDP, he's a grown ass man and should've known better and should've been taking responsibility a LONG time ago.
I wasn't intending to call you out. It's just frustrating because if this is genuine and he is changing than that is great. It's just hard for me to believe that right now.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I believe most people deserve a second chance. If he genuinely means it and uses his massive audience for good, then everyone will be better.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
If someone like him used his platform to start denouncing internet prejudice and hatred he could do a lot of good. Like a lot. We'll see if he's serious.