• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
The guy does something great and of course he still gets dumped on here by most people. The comments about it not being enough money are especially petty and lame. A lot of the members here are just ridiculous.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Problem is he already had many second chances.
And not once given a genuine apology or had a truly reflective moment about his actions and the consequences from it.

Every time he has put out an 'apology' video he has spent 30 seconds saying he was wrong and then spent 10 minutes complaining about how mainstream media is out to get him and twisting the truth.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Don't particularly care what he does with his money, donating is PR and relatively easy. The problems people have had with him are to do with his behavior and conduct. Paying people to say "Death to Jews" is just a joke. Saying the n-word is just a heated gaming moment. Or whatever etc. Actual Nazis and white supremacists approve of him because he's a hugely popular personality who's helped normalize racist Nazi stuff and perhaps attract people towards that gateway.

No idea if any personal growth, introspection or change has taken place. I've never followed the guy, don't know what he says and does in his videos and don't recall when his last public fuckup took place. Based on his statement in the OP of this thread, he still at least wants people to believe that mainstream media is out to get him with their misrepresenting headlines. And he seems to say that this is his attempt to move on from his association with the Christchurch white supremacist terrorist attack. So his main motivation here appears to be himself.

But also, his statement is oddly vague, poorly written, so maybe I'm misinterpreting something.
It's like when he says "I think that it's important" he expects people to read his mind regarding what the "it" in that sentence is.
Like...what do you think is important? What fight?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
And not once given a genuine apology or had a truly reflective moment about his actions and the consequences from it.

Every time he has put out an 'apology' video he has spent 30 seconds saying he was wrong and then spent 10 minutes complaining about how mainstream media is out to get him and twisting the truth.

This is what all the drive by posters aren't getting about the whole situation. He's throwing money at a problem to make it go away and isn't actually taking responsibility for anything, reflecting, and CHANGING his actions. How many times has he fucked up and we go through this cycle? He hasn't, nor isn't, or has ever, seemingly changed.

I'm not going to applaud shit people for throwing money at a charity if they are going to continue to be harmful shit people.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
I've never thought PDP was a bad guy at heart - at his core.

I've always thought he was just a guy that wanted to play games and not be a mouthpiece for much of anyone or anything in the broader culture.

I just think he's immature and doesn't care much/think much about the experience minorities and others not like him experience. He just wants to have his "LOLs" and live his life superficially. That social responsibility just isn't a major part of his worldview or moral make-up.

...which WOULD be fair enough - everyone is just out there living their life, and there's always someone more virtuous than someone else- except when he's in a position of EXTREME influence and has such an incredible amount of sway over such a huge number of impressionable young kids. In that context, his immature actions and poorly-thought-out-antics take on a more sinister, serious tact, and he deserves the criticism he's received for seemingly doubling down on some of his worst impulses over the years, instead of reflecting on them and learning from them.

He was at a turning point a few years ago where he could have turned to Chaotic Good and instead doubled down on Chaotic Neutral (at best) in other words.

But that said I still get the impression that that was just more immaturity speaking, and general carelessness and callousness. I don't think it's too late for him to become a bit more self-reflective, but I suspect it'll still be a bumpy road.
Pretty much this.

Many people here just have a very strong sense of hate towards him.

I would go as far as even saying that some might even just be annoyed by the popularity he has amassed over time and how they feel he doesn't deserve it, fuelling that hatred even more.

Not discounting the shit he has said or done, but as the poster I've quoted said, I do feel it was all very immature and/or done for the lols rather than having sinister underlying tones of racism/bigotry.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Also people in this thread complaining about "black and white" mentality while also saying donating money once redeems a person lol

They sure do tell on themselves, don't they

We sure forget about other bad stuff

what other bad stuff
turns out it's hard to publicly address shit that's only cryptically discussed and never elaborated upon

he actually donated money to an anti-biggotry foundarion?

I can't tell based on reports whether he has actually given the $50K or if he's merely pledged it. The report cited in the OP suggests the donation hasn't actually happened at the time it was printed, 4 hours ago. I'm always suspicious of pledges being done in these sorts of publicity-stunt or behavioral-laundering manners, because they're often not actually followed-through on.
(And if you care about Palestinian welfare you might not see the ADL as an anti-bigotry organization either)

Don't worry. It's because they can't trust anyone, and won't admit it.

Why should I trust this guy anyway?

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I've never thought PDP was a bad guy at heart - at his core.

I've always thought he was just a guy that wanted to play games and not be a mouthpiece for much of anyone or anything in the broader culture.

I just think he's immature and doesn't care much/think much about the experience minorities and others not like him experience. He just wants to have his "LOLs" and live his life superficially. That social responsibility just isn't a major part of his worldview or moral make-up.

As a poc, I take issue that being racism adjacent doesn't mean you're a "bad guy at heart." My entire life, I've heard this, excuses for racism and the benefit of the doubt for people, which encourages their behavior. I wholeheartedly believe this helped lead to the current socio-political climate. Especially in today's day and age, people have to take a stand against PDP's kind of racism in addition to the more obvious Charlottesville's marchers and skinheads. If you're OK with those jokes, or you create a real world impact of essentially recruiting for those causes (both of which he has done), then you are complicit. People can change, but that's more than donations along with statements essentially denying responsibility.

I was about to say that I don't have a strong opinion on the donation or the fake-apology that acoompied it (his behavior and the statement are bad, donations are good) but I can't forget how his behavior helped inspire a mass murder who shot down children, and seniors that look like my own parents. I find policing donation amounts distasteful, but in light of what actually happened, he needs to do more to begin making amends. That doesn't mean money, necessarily - maybe he should meet survivors, advocate on behalf of vulnerable POC, spend a little time trying to educate his viewers. Those actions, to me, would better indicate a change of heart compared to his awful statement.

Last edited:

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Not a fan of PDP but this is an attempt to go in the right direction. He needs to continue taking steps. Hopefully he can snuff out some of those alt right loonies from his base.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
The guy does something great and of course he still gets dumped on here by most people. The comments about it not being enough money are especially petty and lame. A lot of the members here are just ridiculous.

Don't worry. It's because they can't trust anyone, and won't admit it.

or maybe you could take some time to understand why 50k ain't jack shit and why the ADF is a horrible organization to donate money to

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
In Tuesday's video in which Kjellberg first announces his donation, he does not address any controversies specifically, but says, "I made a lot of mistakes on the way, but I've grown." He continued, "I feel like I have at least. I feel like I've finally come to terms with the responsibility I have as a creator — about 100 million subs too late, but you know."

He started to give money to a really questionnable organisation and he thinks he grown up. OK dude.
The ADL is a "questionable organization"?

May 13, 2019
The ADL is a "questionable organization"?
When Minnesota Representative Ilhan Omar was attacked in March for "invoking the anti-Semitic trope of 'dual loyalty'" in her criticisms of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)—a Jewish non-govermental organization based in the United States, whose stated mission is "to stop the defamation of the Jewish people, and to secure justice and fair treatment to all"—was among the first to call on Congressional leaders to "take immediate action" against her.
This was a well-worn pattern: the ADL's calls to action have successfully mobilized public opinion against black leadership for decades, from the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) and Ocean Hill-Brownsville parents in the New York City teacher strikes of 1968, to the Movement for Black Lives and Marc Lamont Hill. In a clear sign that the new class of elected Democrats has actually shifted some power, though, the Congressional resolution on anti-Semitism took a surprising turn. Instead of confirming the innocence of the Israel lobby, as the Democratic leadership intended, Congress was forced for the first time to repudiate Islamophobia and white supremacy alongside anti-Semitism.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Ridiculous that he's donating to the ADL, when considering the actual victims of the Christchurch massacre.

Adding on to my previous thoughts, I hope he won't use this to end discussion of this past actions (but sadly I suspect he might).

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Oh fucking hell and even the organisation is a dog whistling shithole?
Wonderful, I take back what I said, even this minor decent thing he has done is still a load of shit.

People are such fucking idiots for liking this guy or believing a word he says

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Oh fucking hell and even the organisation is a dog whistling shithole?
Wonderful, I take back what I said, even this minor decent thing he has done is still a load of shit.

People are such fucking idiots for liking this guy or believing a word he says

Yeah if there's one thing that makes me suspicious that he'll never actually follow through on this, it's how sloppy the wind-up is.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is what all the drive by posters aren't getting about the whole situation. He's throwing money at a problem to make it go away and isn't actually taking responsibility for anything, reflecting, and CHANGING his actions. How many times has he fucked up and we go through this cycle? He hasn't, nor isn't, or has ever, seemingly changed.

I'm not going to applaud shit people for throwing money at a charity if they are going to continue to be harmful shit people.
Exactly.

Its funny that all of the people in this thread who come out with their shitty takes of "everything is black and white to Era so he will always be bad" yet they are the ones who are looking at things black and white.

The rest of us are evaluating PDPs actions over time, the things he has said and done and seeing if anything has changed since and realising that not once has he actually acknowledged the full extent of his actions or the ones he has influenced and instead he has sidestepped everything he has done and put the blame solely on the media and a few lone wolves who have been apparently influenced by their reporting of him.

This isn't about saying someone can't be redeemed or that it doesn't matter because he didn't spend enough. It's about him actually addressing the issues themselves and accepting responsibility for them when all he has ever done is avoid all of that.

But let's forget those facts, he spent $50k so let's just pretend all is forgiven for the one, single accidently racist thing he said. Oh and let's not even bring up the sheer volumes of other horrible examples of why PDP is a piece of shit and currently deserves no forgiveness or benefit of doubt.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I think his message and intentions are clear, at least on the video and on the later twitter message. He does not share the believes of those hate groups, nor wants to keep being associated with them (even if those groups want to, as seen on the meltdown).

He is actually donating a non insignificant amount to an organization that fights bigotry. An impact will be made because of that money, its not just words.

I see all this as a very positive thing, as a confirmation of his intentions moving forward and as a redemption process with actual tangible efforts and results. I don't see how we could spin this whole thing in a negative way.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
If he wants to change for the better then I'm glad. The negative reactions of some of his supporters should be sobering as this garbage is part of your fanbase. Why anyone wants to be associated with that is beyond me.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
His statement already sounded like bullshit, he hasn't learned anything or grown. Hes had years and many controversies and his statement is just a load of PR bullshit.
I thought it sounded like a load of shit when I read it, but I was at least grateful that he donated even a small amount to a charity, but even that seems to be questionable.

Why would anyone think this guy is learning and growing from his mistakes when he has made literally no effort to show that until now in a pitifully small and backhanded gesture?

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Donating a day's (?) wages is a nice first step, but the statement tells me he's done no self-reflection, still doesn't think he has any personal responsibility for his actions, and based on that and the last 8 years of very public behavior, we'll probably be back here again. I'd love to be wrong, but history and all that.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
FYI, the ADL represents political systems that amounts to the same as the Christchurch massacre, so miss me with that "oh this super rich and famous racist white dude has totally redeemed himself by donating what amounts to an hour of ad revenue and sponsorship on his channel"

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah have to agree. I feel like a lot of people would have made comments like that regardless of how much money he actually donated.

$50,000 is still a lot of money.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
As a poc, I take issue that being racism adjacent doesn't mean you're a "bad guy at heart." My entire life, I've heard this, excuses for racism and the benefit of the doubt for people, which encourages their behavior. I wholeheartedly believe this helped lead to the current socio-political climate. Especially in today's day and age, people have to take a stand against PDP's kind of racism in addition to the more obvious Charlottesville's marchers and skinheads. If you're OK with those jokes, or you create a real world impact of essentially recruiting for those causes (both of which he has done), then you are complicit. People can change, but that's more than donations along with statements essentially denying responsibility.

I was about to say that I don't have a strong opinion on the donation or the fake-apology that acoompied it (his behavior and the statement are bad, donations are good) but I can't forget how his behavior helped inspire a mass murder who shot down children, and seniors that look like my own parents. I find policing donation amounts distasteful, but in light of what actually happened, he needs to do more to begin making amends. That doesn't mean money, necessarily - maybe he should meet survivors, advocate on behalf of vulnerable POC, spend a little time trying to educate his viewers. Those actions, to me, would better indicate a change of heart compared to his awful statement.

I think your perspective is completely valid. I completely agree and believe that PDP's words and actions have done harm. No doubt about it.

I guess I'm just talking about PDP the man, and what his intent was. I think there's a lot of people out there with evil intent. And my personal read is that PDP doesn't fall into that category. He's just been careless and deeply irresponsible, and seemed to actively shrug off ANY sense of responsibility or understanding that his actions have consequences.

To be clear - that intent doesn't particularly matter in the end. "I didn't mean for anyone to get hurt" is not a defense when lots of people have been really hurt.

I have just seen PDP labeled alt-right, and so-on, and those kinds of labels have never rung true to me. He's just childish and seemed unable or unwilling to accept responsibility for his actions influencing a group that is easily influenceable.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Today I learned the easiest way to get people to blindly not question your charitable organization is to give it a name just generic enough that without looking into it no one would disagree with it.

"Anti defamation league", I mean who would disagree with that? Theyre against defamation. Let's just not talk about the actual examples of what they've done as a group, especially in relation to why PDP is doing this (a guy shoots up a mosque name dropping PDP, the ADL routinely taking anti-Muslim stances, including being one of the first to attack Rep Ilhan Omar).

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is triggering all the right assholes, so that's a good thing... but isn't this basically pocket change to him?

I mean... Is he actually sorry for any of the shit he's done? Because it doesn't sound like it there.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Always hilarious if not unexpected to see all the usual people come out of the woodwork to morally support poor "Felix" and ask for second chances. As if PDP hadn't had like ten second chances and blew every single one of them.

Also, provided without comment, the third paragraph on ADL's wikipedia page:
The ADL has faced criticism for its support for Israel, charges of defamation,[5] spying allegations, its former stance on the Armenian Genocide, and possible conflation of opposition to Israel with antisemitism.[6]

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on him, I don't respect him more for the gesture, what is done is done, but no matter what, this is a good gesture and this money is much needed where it goes.

So yeah, good move. Hopefully one day he'll start putting out statementa against racism and antisemitism more often, his platform is one that is VERY influential.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
He did a good thing by doing this. I hope that by doing so, he doesn't hope to increase his subscriber number/boost his income.

I'm not going to watch any of his content (and never have).

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
welp, no point of him even trying to think about changing his ways if he'll still be shit on even for trying to do good.
As much as we like to think Era and these threads matter it's nothing more than venting and has pretty much no weight outside of this forum. The dude just hit 100 million subs even after a mass murderer told people to sub to him. This thread and the opinions in it aren't making a dent in his wallet or his psyche. Everyone is just sharing their thoughts and though I think this was a good move I can't blame people for not believing the sincerity of it.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*utters a long, gutteral sigh*

Just to be clear, in case that's what you're getting at, I'm referring to the POS alt-right Youtubers who are losing their shit about this... I wasn't talking about posters on Era.

By the way, here's a thread about both the current Israeli PM seeking reelection and his opposition -- turns out they're all into extermination of Palestinians:

Okay... that turned dark fast.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Good deed, is a good deed. Not all that familiar with ADL, but it seems he is trying to right some wrongs. Hopefully he continues doing so moving forward.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't trust him.

However this is a step in the right direction. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Edit: Reading up on this organization, what the fuck? He chose this one out of all the ones he can find?

Fuck him. I take everything back.