• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
At first glance, I think this is actually wonderful, and really seems to represent an attempt at the sort of responsibility people hope for in public figures. I don't have any reason to take it at face value considering his past, but there are good signs here. If this shifts the needle on the discourse surrounding PDP (particularly among fans) even just a bit, it's a broad benefit. Specifically mentioning the ADL's past criticism of him without any sort of quip suggests serious thought and good intent by Kjellberg.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
At first glance, I think this is actually wonderful, and really seems to represent an attempt at the sort of responsibility people hope for in public figures. I don't have any reason to take it at face value considering his past, but there are good signs here. If this shifts the needle on the discourse surrounding PDP (particularly among fans) even just a bit, it's a broad benefit. Specifically mentioning the ADL's past criticism of him without any sort of quip suggests serious thought and good intent by Kjellberg.

You should check it out beyond the first glance. Did you read about what ADL does? Are you aware how minuscule 50K is for PDP? And did you read his statement about "moving on"?

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Remember folks, Christchurch shooting took place 6 months ago. Serious PR move by PDP here to coincide his apology with 9/11. Serious 4D chess.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that so many posters here seemingly would prefer that PDP continues to be a racist and whatnot, because it would mean they don't have to acknowledge that people can change for the better.

I'm not saying PDP will change or that this donation shows that he has, but there's a very weird vibe coming from a lot of the posters in this thread. It goes beyond an unwillingness to forgive.

Doubt his sincerity if you want, I don't think anyone would begrudge you for that, but the refusal to acknowledge this donation as anything but a positive thing is just being spiteful for the sake of it.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Pewdiepie could move on from his past and do good things. Wouldn't get credit for it on here though.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have any sympathy for him but can't hate him for this tbh

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
wow, I'm really impressed with how low people standards are for a rich and famous racist white dude to redeem himself

the bar is so low.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
He still hasn't admitted that he's done anything wrong or what he did wrong so hey nice gesture but I'm still dubious about the guy.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
it's so weird that so many posters here keep acknowledging that pewdiepie could change and no one here would give him credit for it. implying that throughout all the messes he's been in over the past few years he never has changed.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
A good move, but i still don't trust his motives, not convinced he's not just playing very late lip service in an attempt to lure people back into his audience.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get it twisted, I'd be quite surprised if anyone here wants him to continue to be racist. We just doubt his ability to change given the many opportunities he's squandered to do so.

I'm not getting it twisted. There are people in this thread who are almost offended by this donation. It's a bizarre way to react.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I learned from resetera that if you done anything bad in your life it's impossible to redeem yourself.
No growth, only gallows

I'm sure most of those posters are glad their own histories aren't so public.

Edit: don't get me wrong, i think PDP is a piece of shit and never liked him but it's true that Era revels in #CancelCulture. I like to think of this forum as pretty progressive but you literally can't have progress if people aren't allowed to learn and grow

Last edited:

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
Based on his statement, thread title should read "PewDiePie donates money to the ADL in order to spite his haters and the MSM"

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain the issues with the ADL? I feel like I'm expected to know them already, and google is not helping much.

Jan 10, 2018
Based on his statement, thread title should read "PewDiePie donates money to the ADL in order to spite his haters and the MSM"

Yep
wow, I'm really impressed with how low people standards are for a rich and famous racist white dude to redeem himself

the bar is so low.

Remember when Trump fired a guy he hired? Like yesterday?

Pewdiepie could move on from his past and do good things. Wouldn't get credit for it on here though.

Yes, he could grow up. Tell us when he does.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No growth, only gallows

Edit: don't get me wrong, i think PDP is a piece of shit and never liked him but it's true that Era revels in #CancelCulture. I like to think of this forum as pretty progressive but you literally can't have progress if people aren't allowed to learn and grow
Talk about not having a clue but wanting to throw the whole forum under the bus for little reason.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
No growth, only gallows

yeah learn and grow by donating what is basically an hours of wage to a settler colonial organization

all the racist shit he did and all the nazis he is in bed with is totally okay, he has obviously learned and grown

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not getting it twisted. There are people in this thread who are almost offended by this donation. It's a bizarre way to react.
You know what is a bizarre way to react?

Seeing him repeatedly say, do or enable other racist things without acknowledging the core issues and influence him doing so could have.

Seeing that he was following nearly every alt right/enabler bigot on twitter only to do a complete purge of his twitter account when people realised and brought attention to it.

Seeing him promote anti semetic and bigoted channels and then downplay the platform and influence he has on doing so while also lying about the amount of precious interactions he has had with said channels.

Seeing that PDP has never once given a sincere apology for his actions, always saying the bare minimum before spending 10 times as long in the same video complaining about mainstream media being against him.

Seeing him giving away a relative pittance as charity to a problematic organisation whist he ignores his past actions and the consequences of them and shifts the blame purely on the mainstream media by accusing them of influencing people by twisting what happened with him previously.

Seeing tonnes of people in this thread and countless others detail all of these points and the reasoning for why they don't believe his sincerity only to then shit on those people, accuse Era of being incapable of forgiveness and completely ignore every fact brought up just to defend someone you and others apparently don't actually like.

That's truly fucking bizarre!

Jan 10, 2018
No growth, only gallows

To repeat myself and to use your phrasing, tell us when the 29 year old piece of shit grows up

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
You should check it out beyond the first glance. Did you read about what ADL does? Are you aware how minuscule 50K is for PDP? And did you read his statement about "moving on"?

I'm familiar enough with the ADL to have been critical of their reaction recommending against the Park51 Community Center at the time. I still think their work is broadly positive, and I've seen my share of right-wing types spreading negative propaganda about them because of things like their direct call-outs against white supremacist groups and gun-regulation positions (on top of the group's general pro multi-cultural advocacy).

I'm not going to gripe about this amount of money vs Kjellberg's net worth. That's just how I'm reading this situation. If he had given like...$1500, I'd certainly feel differently, but this doesn't strike me as a pittance. I'm not going to go out of my way to criticize someone else for disagreeing with that. That being said, I have to honestly disagree with someone who thinks these developments from PDP aren't a positive shift, and the kind of thing that will make any future bad behavior on his part significantly easier to hold him accountable for.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Yeah!

Like, remember that time he used the n-word and then apologized for it and said he'd never do it again? And then he never did it again?

Oh, wait. He did do it again. Two days later.

Christ. What kind of marks do you people have to be to buy into his bullshit?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This is a good thing, but not admitting his mistakes makes me think he's just doing it to distract everyone from that...

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what is a bizarre way to react?

Seeing him repeatedly say, do or enable other racist things without acknowledging the core issues and influence him doing so could have.

Seeing that he was following nearly every alt right/enabler bigot on twitter only to do a complete purge of his twitter account when people realised and brought attention to it.

Seeing him promote anti semetic and bigoted channels and then downplay the platform and influence he has on doing so while also lying about the amount of precious interactions he has had with said channels.

Seeing that PDP has never once given a sincere apology for his actions, always saying the bare minimum before spending 10 times as long in the same video complaining about mainstream media being against him.

Seeing him giving away a relative pittance as charity to a problematic organisation whist he ignores his past actions and the consequences of them and shifts the blame purely on the mainstream media by accusing them of influencing people by twisting what happened with him previously.

Seeing tonnes of people in this thread and countless others detail all of these points and the reasoning for why they don't believe his sincerity only to then shit on those people, accuse Era of being incapable of forgiveness and completely ignore every fact brought up just to defend someone you and others apparently don't actually like.

That's truly fucking bizarre!

You'll notice I addressed this in an earlier post.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
It's weird that so many posters here seemingly would prefer that PDP continues to be a racist and whatnot, because it would mean they don't have to acknowledge that people can change for the better.

I'm not saying PDP will change or that this donation shows that he has, but there's a very weird vibe coming from a lot of the posters in this thread. It goes beyond an unwillingness to forgive.

Doubt his sincerity if you want, I don't think anyone would begrudge you for that, but the refusal to acknowledge this donation as anything but a positive thing is just being spiteful for the sake of it.

What the fuck is this? We "Doubt his sincerity" because he's a total rat fuck who gets away with normalizing and pushing the agenda of white supremacy because he's internet famous, which, by the way, he got purely by luck, as it's well known he only got so famous in the first place because yelling rape at the top of your lungs playing Slenderman was hip at the time he accidentally gamed the advertising algorithm and got thousands of times more publicity then anyone else.

We want him to stay racist!?! WE WANT HIM TO MAKE AN ACTUAL EFFORT TO UNDO PROBLEMS HE CREATED!!!

50k on a paycheck like his to a bigoted charity while expressing only a desire to move on from controversy is less then fucking dirt. You and anyone else's willingness to allow him the benefit of the doubt without looking for or at least asking for proper information on why this means nothing or why he's bad are protecting him with ignorance.

Before you start talking mad shit about PewDiePie "haters," you best educate yourself. Internet normalization of garbage people has twisted and malformed people's perceptions of real apologies and actual commitment to change, and we cannot tolerate that.

Edit: I apologize, I was far too hostile in my response, but I stand by my core point. He is not trying to do better. He will NEVER try, because he doesn't have to. He has too many people kissing his feet and attacking detractors on his vague, plausibly deniable command. And if he did indeed try, and put in the real personal sacrifice necessary to regain trust and undo probolomatic behaviour, you will hear it from me. But he never will. I wish it wasn't true, but his History and current actions speak for themselves.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he's taking a stand, just wish he had done it sooner. I hope he keeps speaking out.
This. Actions matter, and this seems like an honest move. I'm willing to take him at face value, but he needs to do more going forward. This can't be a one and done, he's done to much harm for this to wash everything away.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on him. Didn't watch content from him for a long long time now, maybe never will again as I feel like I've grown to a different person with different interests. Still, no matter what a person did, you always should be able to change and to redeem yourself. Got to accept that this is a nice move and 50.000 is a lot.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Reading up on the ADL and... hmmmm.

Even if the organization itself was considered reputable, this stinks of a meaningless stunt for some PR considering he seems to take no actual responsibility for himself.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I'm familiar enough with the ADL to have been critical of their reaction recommending against the Park51 Community Center at the time. I still think their work is broadly positive, and I've seen my share of right-wing types spreading negative propaganda about them because of things like their direct call-outs against white supremacist groups and gun-regulation positions (on top of the group's general pro multi-cultural advocacy).

I'm not going to gripe about this amount of money vs Kjellberg's net worth. That's just how I'm reading this situation. If he had given like...$1500, I'd certainly feel differently, but this doesn't strike me as a pittance. I'm not going to go out of my way to criticize someone else for disagreeing with that. That being said, I have to honestly disagree with someone who thinks these developments from PDP aren't a positive shift, and the kind of thing that will make any future bad behavior on his part significantly easier to hold him accountable for.

The bar is really that low for forgiving rich racist white men for doing absolutely the bare minimum, huh

and in this case, supporting an anti-Muslim and anti-Palestinian organization like ADL should send all kinds of warning signals. But I guess people just want to be comfortable and ease the tensions. That you consider their work "broadly positive" is a sick joke.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The bar is really that low for forgiving rich racist white men for doing absolutely the bare minimum, huh

and in this case, supporting an anti-Muslim and anti-Palestinian organization like ADL should send all kinds of warning signals. But I guess people just want to be comfortable and ease the tensions. That you consider their work "broadly positive" is a sick joke.

As I said, my view isn't one of forgiveness, but progress that makes accountability a simple thing moving forward. I know there are complicated issues behind these groups, but considering your tone, I'm happy to ignore you.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

He would get credit from me. The problem is that $50,000 is a minuscule amount to someone who is worth at least $20 million dollars. Often times with rich people, money is given to charity for good PR and for tax breaks. I don't know if the tax breaks apply to him at all in Sweden but at least in the United States, that is often the case. So, this donation doesn't move the needle much for me either way.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You'll notice I addressed this in an earlier post.
No you didn't.

This was your post:

That doesn't cover anything I have said. My point explicitly states that everything before during and after this payment has problems with it.

He hasn't shown any sincere change.

The money is not only a tiny amount for him but is also to an organisation that many have a problem with.

His comment with the payment avoids any form or responsibility and blames the media for what had happened.

How exactly did your post address any of these points?

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No you didn't.

This was your post:

That doesn't cover anything I have said. My point explicitly states that everything before during and after this payment has problems with it.

He hasn't shown any sincere change.

The money is not only a tiny amount for him but is also to an organisation that many have a problem with.

His comment with the payment avoids any form or responsibility and blames the media for what had happened.

How exactly did your post address any of these points?

Do you want me to just quote my entire post again?

"Doubt his sincerity if you want, I don't think anyone would begrudge you for that"

If you really want I can go and quote some of the specific posts I'm talking about. If you feel like my post doesn't apply to you then maybe it doesn't but it definitely does apply to some other posters in this thread.

Also kinda piss off with 50k being a small amount. It's a lot more than most people make in a year, it's a significant sum of money. How proportional it is to his net worth isn't really relevant. "Why not give more" is a shitty stance to take.

Arctic_Fever

Aug 6, 2018
When the "MSM" are already subject to threats and bombs being sent to their offices by POTUS's followers, making any statement that paints them in much the same way as POTUS does is extremely irresponsible. And it's reprehensible to see so many posters ignoring that.

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
I'd like to say I think he's genuinely concerned but I can't. The massacre took place 6 months ago, it's way too late.

He was unable to take a firm stand when a mass shooter quoted him and considering his past actions, I don't feel like giving him the benefit of the doubt.

All I can hope is to be proven wrong in the future.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I love that someone was still able to include a post in the thread with "aw shucks, he's just a very, very, very young man who's almost in his 30s, he's trying to change!"

Haven't seen that one used in a while.