• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you're uninformed about the problems with the ADL, how could you look at that statement and think he's changed? All he does is blame the 'MSM' and fails to take responsibility for his actions.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Even if you're uninformed about the problems with the ADL, how could you look at that statement and think he's changed? All he does is blame the 'MSM' and fails to take responsibility for his actions.

People are just super willing to jump on the first thing that allows them to forgive a famous racist, so that they can move on and become comfortable again. They would like any reason to simply forget about an issue, so they just take anything at face value, especially if it's coming from a white dude who claims he's made "amends"

They are just looking for an excuse to be comfortable

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Edit: don't get me wrong, i think PDP is a piece of shit and never liked him but it's true that Era revels in #CancelCulture. I like to think of this forum as pretty progressive but you literally can't have progress if people aren't allowed to learn and grow

Cancel culture went too far the time it went for the white dude with like a million youtube followers who jokingly advocated for genocide

Oct 25, 2017
I learned from resetera that if you done anything bad in your life it's impossible to redeem yourself.
I feel like it's a vocal minority on here that scream and shout for permanently canceling someone. But really it depends on the context. Often times people caught in the wrong pout and wait far too long or repeat their offenses that make it much harder for people to take their apology or change in good faith. Depending on the amount and length of "damage" these figures have done, they'll need a much more demonstrably genuine display of remorse. Where I think it's ridiculous are cases like Kevin Hart or Sean Murray where no matter what they do or say for transgressions made years ago, people are still out for blood. These tend to be the loudest and most stubborn when it comes to discussion and should be ignored as such.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
listen, I just want to being able to follow funny man without the sliver of conscience I still have telling me that I am an enabling piece of garbage, and if everything my boy felix has done (?) is not enough...

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do you want me to just quote my entire post again?

"Doubt his sincerity if you want, I don't think anyone would begrudge you for that"

If you really want I can go and quote some of the specific posts I'm talking about. If you feel like my post doesn't apply to you then maybe it doesn't but it definitely does apply to some other posters in this thread.

Also kinda piss off with 50k being a small amount. It's a lot more than most people make in a year, it's a significant sum of money. How proportional it is to his net worth isn't really relevant. "Why not give more" is a shitty stance to take.
I already did quote your whole post but let's tackle a couple of points you made.
Doubt his sincerity if you want, I don't think anyone would begrudge you for that, but the refusal to acknowledge this donation as anything but a positive thing is just being spiteful for the sake of it.
In your rebuttal you conviently left out the second half of that point. I clearly laid out why this isn't a purely positive action and that there is a logical reason for not gushing over it which isn't being spiteful.
I'm not saying PDP will change or that this donation shows that he has, but there's a very weird vibe coming from a lot of the posters in this thread. It goes beyond an unwillingness to forgive.
I have not seen any posts that haven't been justified in the reasoning for being sceptical or dismissive or the supposed good nature of this donation. People keep laying out why some of us have a problem with this yet you and other keep trying to portray the narrative that some people here will just hate him regardless of what good he does.

What about this new point:
Also kinda piss off with 50k being a small amount. It's a lot more than most people make in a year, it's a significant sum of money. How proportional it is to his net worth isn't really relevant. "Why not give more" is a shitty stance to take.
Its about perspective.

We have already established that this organisation isn't a bastion for good but even if they were, this is the equivalent of an average person saying and doing multiple racists things, following, interacting and promoting bigots, repeatedly shifting the blame onto the media while downplaying your own responsibility and being credited by a mass murderer and then deciding to give £50 to a charity while still ignoring your own responsibility in all of this and again blaming it all on the media while accusing them of twisting the facts.

Arctic_Fever

Aug 6, 2018
I feel like it's a vocal minority on here that scream and shout for permanently canceling someone. But really it depends on the context. Often times people caught in the wrong pout and wait far too long or repeat their offenses that make it much harder for people to take their apology or change in good faith. Depending on the amount and length of "damage" these figures have done, they'll need a much more demonstrably genuine display of remorse. Where I think it's ridiculous are cases like Kevin Hart or Sean Murray where no matter what they do or say for transgressions made years ago, people are still out for blood. These tend to be the loudest and most stubborn when it comes to discussion and should be ignored as such.

Kevin Hart's biggest transgressions AFAIK were to make gross, violent, homophobic comments in a society that still causes harm to many in LGBTQ+ communities.

Sean Murray overpromised/lied about a game(AFAIK).

I get what you were going for, but, again AFAIK, I don't think it's fair that they are mentioned in the same sentence like that.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It's a dumb fucking point to begin with.

Even if he gave 10$ it would still help, how much did you gave btw?
0,0% of your estimated net worth?

he should probably give at least half of his fortune to BDS or Movement for Black Lives, that would be a start. And not some neofascist organization like ADL.

then he could also start cleaning up house and speak up against nazis and racists, that would be another thing he could do

there's tons of things beyond the bare minimum he could do.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you. I'd read the Wikipedia entry, but the Boston Review article was much more informative.

That Boston Review article is fairly biased. Just like other articles on that website downplaying actual anti-semitism. If you hate Israel, you aren't going to like the ADL either. Which is fine.

Regardless I would rather PDP never did anything. Reading the Youtube comments about his donation have dredged up some of the worst online hatred I've seen outside the 'Chans and gab. Wouldn't be surprised if the fan hatred of the ADL spurred more violence. What a fucking cesspool.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
He would get credit from me. The problem is that $50,000 is a minuscule amount to someone who is worth at least $20 million dollars. Often times with rich people, money is given to charity for good PR and for tax breaks. I don't know if the tax breaks apply to him at all in Sweden but at least in the United States, that is often the case. So, this donation doesn't move the needle much for me either way.

Sure. But why assume that he's doing it for nefarious or tax reasons. I'm not saying that he's redeemed himself, more that I get the impression that nothing he could do would be good enough for some people. Having said that, the issue seems to be more about the types of people that have associated themselves with him as much as it is the guy himself. Perhaps if he carries on, the extremist types will disown him which is good for him and for everyone else.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a dumb fucking point to begin with.

Even if he gave 10$ it would still help, how much did you gave btw?
0,0% of your estimated net worth?
Just to reiterate, if I've given a greater percentage of my networth to causes than this guy and my literal career is in this area, does that somehow lend my criticism of this guy's actions additional credibility?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Still blaming the mainstream news, huh.
People are just super willing to jump on the first thing that allows them to forgive a famous racist, so that they can move on and become comfortable again. They would like any reason to simply forget about an issue, so they just take anything at face value, especially if it's coming from a white dude who claims he's made "amends"

They are just looking for an excuse to be comfortable
True.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sure. But why assume that he's doing it for nefarious or tax reasons. I'm not saying that he's redeemed himself, more that I get the impression that nothing he could do would be good enough for some people. Having said that, the issue seems to be more about the types of people that have associated themselves with him as much as it is the guy himself. Perhaps if he carries on, the extremist types will disown him which is good for him and for everyone else.
The reason people are assuming he has a nefarious motive is because of the comment that went with it.

Someone who actually cared or had at least reflected on their past actions and what he had, giving him the benefit of doubt, inadvertently influenced, would have brought up those issues and clearly stated why it was wrong and what he has learned from it. Instead he continued to blame the media and accused them of twisting what had happened.

That is someone who is trying to pass the burden of responsibility and is only giving the payment as pr. Its really as plain as day.

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Hart's biggest transgressions AFAIK were to make gross, violent, homophobic comments in a society that still causes harm to many in LGBTQ+ communities.

Sean Murray overpromised/lied about a game(AFAIK).

I get what you were going for, but, again AFAIK, I don't think it's fair that they are mentioned in the same sentence like that.
Re: Hart, it was a bit he did over a decade ago that was the most damaging? He stepped down from hosting the Oscars and issued an apology. Most recently, he feigned ignorance on why a young black man would have trouble coming out in his community, which honestly was just an overcorrection to his past in poor taste. But it was another situation of "CANCEL THIS FUCKER" when in reality he has made public statements and is trying (although not always in good taste) to change his public handling of the subject.

Maybe the relation to Sean Murray is a reach, but it is another public figure who overpromised, but worked tirelessly to exceed those promises and more, yet is still "cancelled" and villainized amongst a stringent group of detractors who will never let him live his misleading marketing down.

But I get how the LGBTQ+ issue is much more serious issue in the bigger picture than a man misleading folks about a video game, and the comparison isn't very apt.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. With one step he's done more than 99% of his his critics in this thread.
It's counterbalanced by the fact that 99% of his critics probably haven't paraded around in Nazi gear for laughs, or amplified alt-right voices, or paid poor Indians to hold up a sign saying "Death to All Jews," or had a mass murderer shout their name before committing an anti-Muslim hate crime that tore families and a nation apart.

But he donated more money than I make in a year so he's cool again.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Nice. With one step he's done more than 99% of his critics in this thread.

I can't even begin to fathom how it must be to be a rich white man. Not only would I be rich as hell and I'd always be well-treated by society, but also, if I ever fuck up and start doing some racist shit, I only have to do the absolute bare minimum to be forgiven and accepted again - hell, I'd even be congratulated and defended from critics judging from this thread.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
He seems more concerned with mainstream media than actually doing right. However, it's still a good start. Also, hearing about his nutjob fans having meltdowns is hilarious.

Oct 25, 2017
he should probably give at least half of his fortune to BDS or Movement for Black Lives, that would be a start. And not some neofascist organization like ADL.

then he could also start cleaning up house and speak up against nazis and racists, that would be another thing he could do

there's tons of things beyond the bare minimum he could do.

Just say you will never forgive him instead of nonsense like donating half his worth.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He seems more concerned with mainstream media than actually doing right. However, it's still a good start. Also, hearing about his nutjob fans having meltdowns is hilarious.

That's rich people for you in a nut shell. They don't donate to charities because it's right, they do it because it makes them look good and gets them tax breaks.

He's just doing what all rich people do when they get caught out - throw money at the problem and hopes it goes away.

The amusing thing, though, is that I've been called out in the past on this very site for not buying it when rich people give money to charity because folks think it doesn't matter why you do it as long as you do. I wonder why this guy is different. Sure he's a shithead but a lot of rich people have done far worse than he ever will, so shouldn't we extend him the same "get out of jail free" card we're meant to give them?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Making a substantial donation to the ADL is a nice gesture, but the accompanying statement is still the same persecution complex bullshit he always does. I guess it's an improvement from his usual if only because some actual good may come of it.

Now I will return to being too old to understand PewDiePie's appeal in the first place.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
considering he has a persecution complex regarding the MSM, I'm not surprised.

getting called out by some papers online completely broke him.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also where the fuck are the so-called fans' reactions?

People love pointing that part out but are not showing the receipts.

Edit: My mistake, I see them. But three guys isn't exactly a lot now is it?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the relation to Sean Murray is a reach, but it is another public figure who overpromised, but worked tirelessly to exceed those promises and more, yet is still "cancelled" and villainized amongst a stringent group of detractors who will never let him live his misleading marketing down.

And yet the game still sold and sells very well, and outside of a tiny group of weirdos it's a non-issue now. Do note that almost every comedian who whines about cancel culture is doing so on their own personal Netflix special. If anything, so-called "cancel culture" is extremely ineffective unless real, overwhelming evidence is present, like with Louis CK. And even he still gets the occasional gig.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't it funny that people complaining about the snap judgements of not forgiving Pie are now making snap judgements about a website of 48,000 people because a few of them dared to question Pie's sincerity? *thinking emoji*

Also where's my defense force? I longed deserved one. Unlike Pie, I care about people in the general sense. lol

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
reddit and YT comment section.

read this imgur album at your own risk:

He seems like a smart enough guy to see this as evidence that his content actually has attracted an audience of terrible people. Obviously only a fraction of his audience, but they still view him as an ally for a reason, and I hope he starts or will continue to reflect on that.

The guy has an amazing platform and could use is for so much good.
Its not about changing his content or trying to infuse his content with some kind of political message, but its about drawing lines and every now and then point out where they are drawn and why.

Then again, the kind of content he shared and liked makes me think he either doesn't understand how dangerous right wing demagoguery is or he is actually supportive of it, so I have little hope that this was more than just a PR move.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
He seems like a smart enough guy to see this as evidence that his content actually has attracted an audience of terrible people.
his ego simply does not allow it.
every single time PDP has been at the center of a controversy which he himself created he has never taken full responsibility for what he did, and why should he? he has a fanbase that would excuse him for murder.

maybe he will wise up and realize what abomination he has allowed festering around him, but I won't hold my breath.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Where I think it's ridiculous are cases like Kevin Hart or Sean Murray where no matter what they do or say for transgressions made years ago, people are still out for blood. These tend to be the loudest and most stubborn when it comes to discussion and should be ignored as such.

Is this the same Kevin Hart who just in the past week was still pulling some ignorant shit about gay people's experiences?

Coz yeah, he hasn't learned shit either.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like for some people it's very hard to understand someone can be racist and whatever else, and still do something good. Like, if he learns and grows, cool, even if he didn't, he still did something at least, that's ok to commend without ALSO exhonerating him, but apparently you gotta either be firmly over supporting him or become the "BITCH EATIN CRACKERS" meme come to life.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it must being nice being rich and white. being able to throw money at your fuck ups and having hundreds of people storming to defend you on an internet forum.
People here really find something to complain about in everything.

This topic is getting fierce with people supporting this action and people who want more to be done.

Over the past few pages I just watched so many passive aggressive statements.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Regardless of how you feel about Felix (I imagine most hate him here, which I understand), he definitely wants to make his brand about positivity and humor. Of course, his own infractions contradict that, but he has time to renew his image. I never really viewed him that negatively, but it was pretty clear that the alt-right wanted to make Felix a gateway, whether he realized it or not. He's the biggest YouTuber, has a lot of young white males watching him, so it's an easy target. This donation and statement represents the start of a turning point for many and the betrayal for those who want to corrupt.