• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, the responses to his post on twitter, the replies to his video, the comments on Era all confirm my suspicions.

You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
That's the current Internet age for you, there's no path to redemption or mature to be a better human being, you are trash once, you'll be it forever.

This is a good step in the right direction for PDP, I just hope he keeps speaking about this issues, as he has pretty much become a poster boy for the alt-right edgy boys out there, and that can't be healthy.

Still, PDP really, reeeeally needs someone to handle his PR talk, not a good sign when you still are battling a war with the media and using a donation as an excuse to "move on".

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I'm not about to sit here and try to write a novel about every single offensive action he's ever taken.

You don't have to since it has been laid out pretty clearly in this thread, again, educate yourself. He is a repeat offender.

My entire reason for contributing to this thread was this: I like looking at positive things in this world. I don't like desperately hanging on to negativity.

There is a clearly well-justified precedence as to why people regard him as insincere, they aren't just criticizing him for the sake of criticizing him and you don't seem to understand that, why do you keep downplaying our concerns? Are you incapable of empathizing with the groups that are actually harmed by his actions? What is exactly causing this lack of understanding? I am not clinging to negativity, just for the sake of it, I am however perfectly capable of recognizing a bigot that is completely insincere about his so-called attempt at redemption.

I understand the amount of effort I've put into this thread makes me seem like a big PewDiePie supporter, but the actual truth is that I don't care about PewDiePie at all.

We've got several posters that come in here and state they don't give a shit about PewDiePie, but go to enormous lengths to defend the bigot and not actually empathize with the people that are actually harmed by his actions. Why is that?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to since it has been laid out pretty clearly in this thread, again, educate yourself. He is a repeat offender.

There is a clearly well-justified precedence as to why people regard him as insincere, they aren't just criticizing him for the sake of criticizing him and you don't seem to understand that, why do you keep downplaying our concerns? Are you incapable of empathizing with the groups that are actually harmed by his actions? What is exactly causing this lack of understanding? I am not clinging to negativity, just for the sake of it, I am however perfectly capable of recognizing a bigot that is completely insincere about his so-called attempt at redemption.

We've got several posters that come in here and state they don't give a shit about PewDiePie, but go to enormous lengths to defend the bigot and not actually empathize with the people that are actually harmed by his actions. Why is that?
I don't understand why hoping for someone to change somehow means I condone his actions. Your concerns are valid. They matter, and they're important. I understand the criticism. I'm only arguing on the behalf of this one good action. No, it doesn't cancel out any of the bad whatsoever. And if tomorrow, or any day after that, he does something stupid and harmful again, I'll take it all back and personally apologize to every single person in this thread.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, the responses to his post on twitter, the replies to his video, the comments on Era all confirm my suspicions.

You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

You mean you're damned if you make anti-semitic comments and damned if you blame it on the media and try to bury all criticism by just sending money to an organization many people have a problem with.

Seriously, do the barest amount of research about this situation.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
PewDiePie simply shows time and time again that he isn't learning and isn't interested about changing for the better. He deflects any and all criticism as some "MSM witch hunt." His apologies are as empty as the void.. Even now he still blames "the MSM" as the big boogeyman, completely ignoring that the MSM is just reporting about his shitty behaviour, clearly indicating he has learned abso-fucking-lutely NOTHING and is sorry for nothing.

Plenty of people have gotten off the hook for dumb/shitty behaviour but they've actually shown signs of genuine regret and changes for the better.
I'm talking about it in general. I don't know pewdiepie story I don't follow celebs personal life nor do I care.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
That's the current Internet age for you, there's no path to redemption or mature to be a better human being, you are trash once, you'll be it forever.
There are plenty of paths to redemption. Most toxic morons are just too dumb to take those paths and always tumble down the same paths of non-apologies and blaming everyone but themselves. It's not PDP, it's STILL the Evil MSM that keeps holding him accountable as if that is a bad thing to do for someone with millions of (young) followers. Like, that is LITERALLY one of the most important jobs of journalism, holding people in a position of power/public influence accountable for their actions.

This is a good step in the right direction for PDP, I just hope he keeps speaking about this issues, as he has pretty much become a poster boy for the alt-right edgy boys out there, and that can't be healthy.
Donating to an islamophobic organization and still whining about the MSM boogeyman out to get him are "good steps into the right direction"?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about it in general. I don't know pewdiepie story I don't follow celebs personal life nor do I care.
Then stop fucking defending people like him or whining about people who try to hold people like him accountable. If you don't care, then maybe don't come in here acting as if you are above this all. People like PDP who have millions of followers need to be held accountable when they pander to Nazi shitstains of humanity or people in danger of becoming such when they follow the irresponsible actions of people like PDP and fall further & further down the fascist rabbit hole of Youtube.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Donating to an islamophobic organization and still whining about the MSM boogeyman out to get him are "good steps into the right direction"?
My apologies, I had no idea said organization had a bad reputation. And as I said in my original comment, I do too believe that PDP needs to stop blaming media and get himself someone who knows how to speak publicly.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory false equivalence concerning bigotry.
Great step but unless a pattern of change continues to follow I'll just go on continuing that this was just a great PR move decided by a agent/PR rep.

Dude is worth millions, 50K to a charity is nothing to him.
This is what is wrong with the left. Instead welcoming positive change with open arms, people expect you to die living a life they deem correct and then maybe you will earn their forgiveness/whatever it is you think you offer. Fuck this attitude. It's what fuels so many people to go right in the first place where they are welcome without being forever ridiculed for some dumb ass reason. Nobody has to burn at the stake and give up all worldy possessions to earn your good graces, it's unreasonable and illogical. No better than the thing you claim to hate.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
This is what is wrong with the left. Instead welcoming positive change with open arms, people expect you to die living a life they deem correct and then maybe you will earn their forgiveness/whatever it is you think you offer. Fuck this attitude. It's what fuels so many people to go right in the first place where they are welcome without being forever ridiculed for some dumb ass reason. Nobody has to burn at the stake and give up all worldy possessions to earn your good graces, it's unreasonable and illogical. No better than the thing you claim to hate.

This gotta be a parody post. Please be.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's good that he did this. And I hope he will avoid creating future controversies.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
He straight up says in his statement that he's only donating because of guilt and that he thinks the media slandered his name

And you have a bunch of idiots bumping the thread with "the left never forgives anyone" takes.

Great for the money but dude 100% does it for shit reasons, people are allowed to point that out.

Response predictable as fuck from those who cry and bitch about the forum and continue to post here (and off-site drama trolls)

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahahahahahahaha

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just popped in here briefly to read up on this stuff, but this comment caught my eye:

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Damn, is that ever disrespectful. Guy posts a thoughtful comment about something he believes in and your response is laughing in his face? Grow the fuck up and either engage in the conversation or don't. I'd be so fucking embarrassed if someone interested in joining the community were reading this shit.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I just popped in here briefly to read up on this stuff, but this comment caught my eye:

Damn, is that ever disrespectful. Guy posts a thoughtful comment about something he believes in and your response is laughing in his face? Grow the fuck up and either engage in the conversation or don't. I'd be so fucking embarrassed if someone interested in joining the community were reading this shit.

.....that was not a thoughtful comment. It had no thought in it.

Oct 27, 2017

"Thoughtful comment" lmao

More like brain dead comment. PDP is taking a bunch of you for a walk.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing

Hahahahahaha

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
He's the biggest streamer on the planet who streams to a lot of impressionable young people. Holding him accountable for spreading hateful rhetoric that draws in literal Nazis isn't some pathetic e-celeb drama. A fucking mass murdered cited him as one of his influencers. This isn't a fucking joke. So spare us with your superiority complex and whining about people who try to hold people like PDP accountable for his reckless words & behaviour.

My point is that some people will never be satisfied. Let's say he really and genuinely wants to turn a new leaf and do something positive. No matter what he (or anyone) does, its never enough. There's no opportunity for redemption.

What you call accountability is perpetual condemnation. At some point, you gotta move on. You can't hold a grudge and be resentful forever. I say that in general, definitely not in defense of PewDiePie. We both agree he's a jerk :p

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the concept of forgiveness is the assumption that every transgression or pattern of behavior has to be total water under the bridge the moment someone makes a first step, else that person is being genuinely oppressed.

Bullshit. The lot of it.

The fact is personal change, provided it's sincere, takes time and effort. It's a long journey all on its own. But within that time of forging your way to personal betterment, you are not actually owed forgiveness or the benefit of the doubt, because the fact remains we live in a world where that benefit of the doubt is so often taken advantage of or repurposed as a bludgeon to force actually aggrieved parties and groups to "get over" what it was that happened to them.

Because that's what it's really about for the right and people who sympathize with them: to never be put in a position to actually have to meaningfully atone for their sins, to never actually ask what it would mean to make an equitable and safe world for all, because they know full well that you can't fix that with $50,000. They know they're incapable of doing it in their lifetime, so what we get instead are pathetic victim complexes, historical denialism, conspiracy theories, and heightened bigotry- anything to kick the can down the road to a generation that will eventually end up having to wage a fight against equality and safety (because let it be known this state of conservative privilege will not last forever; something will give) or towards the apocalyptic endpoint of runaway global warming whereby nothing like this matters, whichever comes first.

I mean, you can't even fix PDP's issues with that amount. The fact we must never forget is that numerous Muslim families were irreparably torn apart that day because a dipshit was inspired by an environment that welcomed and championed PDP's hateful and self-rhetoric to go into a safe space of worship and slaughter as many as he could. People are dead in part behind this idiot. What the fuck is $50k to them? Am I the only one asking that?

Yes. The donation is a good gesture. But it's not the end all, be all in PDP's path to redemption. It's not the end to this story. And for the vulnerable populations affected by his rhetoric they deserve the right to skepticism. The right, its grifters and gamers, and its sympathizers and apathetic family members have done literally fuck all to earn unbridled trust from their victims after years and years and years of bigoted stupidity. This is hard work that ideally should be done for its own sake. Honestly? We should strive to be better human beings just because. Not so we can get some good press in the "MSM."

If PDP can't manage that hard work, if he was expecting everyone to lavish praise upon him and then be done with the whole row, then honestly? He can fuck off. And his defenders can go with him.

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Coming down on an entire group of people (the left) when you can't even be bothered to get the facts right isn't thoughtful.

Ok! Fair! Then isn't the better, more mature way of going about things to inform this person of why you think they're wrong? I'm not defending his stance one way or another. I'm just arguing that the response was incredibly childish.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao @ all of the suckers itt ready to jump back on his jock at the drop of a hat just because he threw some money at a problem hoping it will go away

You guys can't actually be this naive, come on

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao @ all of the suckers itt ready to jump back on his jock at the drop of a hat just because he threw some money at a problem hoping it will go away

You guys can't actually be this naive, come on
you have to stop looking at the world so black and white. a simple long history of racism does not necessarily make someone a bad person, but even if it did a simple donation surely makes them a good one.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Then stop fucking defending people like him or whining about people who try to hold people like him accountable. If you don't care, then maybe don't come in here acting as if you are above this all. People like PDP who have millions of followers need to be held accountable when they pander to Nazi shitstains of humanity or people in danger of becoming such when they follow the irresponsible actions of people like PDP and fall further & further down the fascist rabbit hole of Youtube.
Are you ok ? Do you even understand what I said or do you just wanna attack everyone blindly just because ?

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Are you ok ? Do you even understand what I said or do you just wanna attack everyone blindly just because ?
You complained about "internet culture" only to then admit that you have little knowledge of this PDP saga because you don't follow celebrities. I don't see how Famassu's reply was an "attack".

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
You complained about "internet culture" only to then admit that you have little knowledge of this PDP saga because you don't follow celebrities. I don't see how Famassu's reply was an "attack".
As I said the guy was talking about how era here don't forgive and I quoted him that this is general behavior in the internet culture, I didn't even mention pdp at this point and yes I don't follow celebs news maybe I check headlines just for ceriousty but I don't go out of my way to see who is doing what.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly don't care much for PDP but I hope this is the start of a positive change for him and not a one-off fling.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
As I said the guy was talking about how era here don't forgive and I quoted him that this is general behavior in the internet culture, I didn't even mention pdp at this point and yes I don't follow celebs news maybe I check headlines just for ceriousty but I don't go out of my way to see who is doing what.
And this thread is full of people explaining why this isn't as simple as not wanting to forgive. Why does one act like this - which I will add is still questionable given the group receiving the donation - negate everything else he's done? This is a pattern he's established, he did not acknowledge the any of wrong he did, and goes on to say the media manipulates stories to make him look bad. This thread isn't about "general behavior in the internet culture" and so those posts of yours come across as dismissive.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
And this thread is full of people explaining why this isn't as simple as not wanting to forgive. Why does one act like this - which I will add is still questionable given the group receiving the donation - negate everything else he's done? This is a pattern he's established, he did not acknowledge the any of wrong he did, and goes on to say the media manipulates stories to make him look bad. This thread isn't about "general behavior in the internet culture" and so those posts of yours come across as dismissive.
Yeah ok cool now put word in my mouth so you can target your rage at me well done.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah ok cool now put word in my mouth so you can target your rage at me well done.
What rage? What words? I literally quoted your own words and explained why coming in here and speaking about some "general" "culture" while not addressing the actual subject of this thread could be construed as being dismissive to people's concerns.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
That comment was fucking embarrassing and you attempting to give it some validity is fucking embarrassing.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody civilly shares their thoughts and you're "ashamed" of it and being hostile to the point you use swear words? Maybe that works on the playground at recess, but can we please try to have an adult conversation about this?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He just announced that he won't be donating to ADL because he wasn't aware of their background. He says he'll be choosing a new charity after he does more careful research.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Ok! Fair! Then isn't the better, more mature way of going about things to inform this person of why you think they're wrong? I'm not defending his stance one way or another. I'm just arguing that the response was incredibly childish.

because it's not our job to educate people

if he can't do the barest minimum research for himself, people here shouldn't waste their time trying to educate him

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
ResetEra will be happy to learn of this recent development since half the people here were pissed that he "only" donated $50,000 and others didn't like the donation to ADL. At least the donation will go elsewhere later.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra will be happy to learn of this recent development since half the people here were pissed that he "only" donated $50,000 and others didn't like the donation to ADL. At least the donation will go elsewhere later.
eh. it'll still probably be 50k and he may find a worse organization, it's likely he changed because his nazi fanbase was upset.

that's assuming a donation ever takes place too

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Why the hell are we quoting KEEM? Ugh.

Anyway, now, this is showing some more recognition of his actions have meaning and are important. This is an improvement depending on what the replacement charity is.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
My guy you had months to research an appropriate charity.

This is exactly the kind of pattern people talk about with him.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah I'm glad it will, and good on him for not just doing it anyway.