• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why's he gotta use Steven Universe of all things to promote his racist shit? :/
Go on /co/ (a place this dude undoubtedly lurks) for a week or two, they're in a deep tsundere relationship with that show and all of the crossboarders constantly seethe because of it. Every other day you'll pretty much see a bait thread containing some twitter post about positive LGBT stuff made to bait the userbase into staying constantly angry.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
WTF at MKBHD? He was like the last person I'd have expected to support PDP. I just went through his feed. He hasn't taken it back or apologized which means he definitely believes he's said nothing wrong. And most of the replies to that tweet are in support of him for being "on their team". (WTF is a 9 year old? Is that what PDP fans call themselves?) So now I have to unsubscribe from him? What about iJustine? They do videos together all the time. Is she secretly on his side too? Do I have to unsubscribe from her too by extension? Ugh this is like Channel Awesome with Tamara and Malcom (And Brad) all over again.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
WTF at MKBHD? He was like the last person I'd have expected to support PDP. I just went through his feed. He hasn't taken it back or apologized which means he definitely believes he's said nothing wrong. And most of the replies to that tweet are in support of him for being "on their team". (WTF is a 9 year old? Is that what PDP fans call themselves?) So now I have to unsubscribe from him? What about iJustine? They do videos together all the time. Is she secretly on his side too? Do I have to unsubscribe from her too by extension? Ugh this is like Channel Awesome with Tamara and Malcom (And Brad) all over again.
Anyone who supports PDP deserves to be unsubbed. Applies to people who support those who support PDP as well.

It's crazy how well crafted channels and content get so much less viewers when such a rubbish youtuber exists.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Anyone who supports PDP deserves to be unsubbed. Applies to people who support those who support PDP as well.

It's crazy how well crafted channels and content get so much less viewers when such a rubbish youtuber exists.
I want to wait and see if he decides to take it back first but it kind of hurts. I liked his videos. I also want to see what Justine says. I have a feeling she'll pull a Malcom/Tamara and act ignorant to why he's getting backlash.

Even JonTron's former partners cut him off and stopped doing things with him after he pulled his own racist shit. Surely Marques has seen the articles and all the other shit PDP has done, right? I can't believe he'd even mention PDP because of this stupid rivalry. I mean I wouldn't have even expected MKBHD to even know who PDP was. But I guess he'd have to since he's pretty big there too.

And I don't even know who the hell T-Series is nor would I want to subscribe to them either.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
That's the point, it's deliberately made to look innocuous at first before he starts hitting you with his real message, and by that point it's too late.

My general rule is that the first third of any content that wants to brainwash you is fairly straightforward stuff that everyone agrees on, then extrapolates badly from the established point. This is a common trend in most of that alternative-to-medicine bloggy stuff.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
T-Series is a music channel based in India. After they dethroned PDP as the most subscribed channel on YouTube (to much fanfare and applause), PDP supporters launched a campaign to boost PDP's numbers because how dare brown people do something that's popular?

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These people seriously believe Heather Hyer died of a heart attack? We have video of the car hitting her at high speed, are they just liars or delusional?

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
My general rule is that the first third of any content that wants to brainwash you is fairly straightforward stuff that everyone agrees on, then extrapolates badly from the established point. This is a common trend in most of that alternative-to-medicine bloggy stuff.
Reminds me of that American Dream animated short, which starts off innocuous enough before going down the Rothschild conspiracy train.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well that's it then.

I really believed that there was a way to get him back on his feet.
Ever since his first scandal I was worried because he got involved with some very sketchy people (That Saragon dude for example), him being the biggest YouTube channel only meant that those people would have an very effective way to spread their ideas.

And boy, did it work. I've been following Pewdiepie the whole time and I basically witnessed in real time how the alt-right started to grow fond of him, feeding him ideas, be it Memes, books or whatever else, him relaying those stuff to his fans since he really got sucked in by that, which in turn opened up a lot of his fans to the alt-right.
What I myself did not really grasp was just how hateful his Fanbase has become until the whole T-Series began. Some of the stuff I saw people post in the name of Pewdiepie gave me Flashbacks of history class in school (and being German, history class basically means WW2).
When Pewdiepie made the video urging his fans not to be like that and to use their energy to help Indian kids instead I really believed that he finally got his wakeup call about the influence he has.
But yeah, that's it then. He's too far gone at this point, and I don't think it's worth it keeping an eye on him anymore. The alt-right at this point successfully infiltrated his Fanbase and became part of it. Some of those people are not even fans of Pewdiepie himself but rather only want to spread hate trough him.

I really worry about the kids exposed to him

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I want to wait and see if he decides to take it back first but it kind of hurts. I liked his videos. I also want to see what Justine says. I have a feeling she'll pull a Malcom/Tamara and act ignorant to why he's getting backlash.

He's not going to. Not in any meaningful way. We've already been here with this guy.

For your own sake, stop giving any of these people the benefit of the doubt. They are manipulating you and do not care about you. There is no shame in coming to your senses about it and walking away.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Go on /co/ (a place this dude undoubtedly lurks) for a week or two, they're in a deep tsundere relationship with that show and all of the crossboarders constantly seethe because of it. Every other day you'll pretty much see a bait thread containing some twitter post about positive LGBT stuff made to bait the userbase into staying constantly angry.
You see this sort of crazy double-think for some other popular media like Undertale. There's the internal struggle between trying to be "hip" and regressive politics.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They knew what PewDiePie was about. They ALL do. That's a big reason why they rallied around him.
I don't think the reason why they railed around him was really that. They decided to voluntarly ignore it for sure, but they were probably thinking about the views since the "Sub to Pewdiepie" meme is still relevant.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These people seriously believe Heather Hyer died of a heart attack? We have video of the car hitting her at high speed, are they just liars or delusional?
No, it's a pretty obvious lie. The point is to get some if any alternate explanation out there because they thrive on people who don't pay attention falling for the "at least we aren't violent" meme.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not shocked at all. Probably defend it saying "I watched the one video and liked it" or something, as if he can casually recommend millions of kids to someone he hadn't vetted.
I don't think anyone can ever explain anything away by claiming it simply wasn't fully vetted. That's at best gross negligence. You can't operate in social media without knowing what inevitably happens to anyone with skeletons, let alone people who aren't even trying to hide it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people would rather just make excuses than confront prejudice in their friend circles, especially when it doesn't effect them personally.

It sucks but we see time and time again. Nobody wants to rock the boat.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
It's culty, and the fans are manipulated by the "creators". I don't like it. I'm old tho.

YouTube can be what you make it.

I only subscribe to a few distinct channels, usually ones involving film criticism. These channels have distinct individuals that offer a worldview based in some kind of academic analysis. For instance, Lindsay Ellis does longform video essays that look at trends in film, apply critical lenses, etc. Patrick Willems analyzes films through his film school education and argues for his interpretation of various films. Or there's Lessons from the Screenplay, which analyzes how screenplays do or do not work with each essay utilizing a particular film, usually down to a single scene.

There's no manipulation with them. They cite sources for their research, they address their own biases, and they are discernible people. Most importantly to me, they don't scream at the screen or seem to cater to anyone that doesn't have some education in the fields they discuss.

Like, I also have favorite authors, filmmakers, and game studios. And I keep up to date with that those folks are doing, too.

And I'm 32, which may very well be younger than you, but certainly means I'm not in the primary audience targeted by the kinds of right-wing indoctrination force that comprises the motherfucker we're discussing in the topic.

Reminds me of that American Dream animated short, which starts off innocuous enough before going down the Rothschild conspiracy train.

This is also very similar to DVDs often handed out at American universities by anti-abortion activists. The movie's case has absolutely zero indication it is about abortion, and the first half or so discusses the Holocaust. The idea is to lure you into a mindset where obviously mass extermination is evil, and then abruptly and ham-fistedly try to link that to abortion in the second half.

It's the hallmark of any good grift. Hook someone with the mundane or sympathetic part, then make a series of connections until eventually they are in an alternate reality.

Nov 1, 2017
Even if some youtubers think he's in the wrong I'm not sure they want to pick a fight with PewDiePie due to how big the guy is. That's not a fight a lot of people will want to step in due to the backlash they might face.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

For a lot of these Youtubers it's less about supporting PDP and more about supporting a Youtuber vs. a giant company backed channel like T-Series. They aren't looking at it as anything more than making sure a homegrown Youtuber stays as the most subscribed channel.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
No, it's a pretty obvious lie. The point is to get some if any alternate explanation out there because they thrive on people who don't pay attention falling for the "at least we aren't violent" meme.
No I think he was making a Death Note joke. In Death Note if the cause of death cannot be accomplished , the victim will die of a heart attack. This also means it cannot kill people whose name isnt written down in it.

I think he said that because Heather was hit by a car going down a crowded street, which means that the Death Note would kill her with a heart attack instead to avoid killing other people.

Still a really shitty tasteless joke.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
But ERA, we need to forgive this dumb hole of a person because he gave some money to charity!!!1!!

Stop trying to defend this man.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
For a lot of these Youtubers it's less about supporting PDP and more about supporting a Youtuber vs. a giant company backed channel like T-Series. They aren't looking at it as anything more than making sure a homegrown Youtuber stays as the most subscribed channel.

I had to look up what the fuck T-Series was earlier because I just don't want to be bothered keeping up with this stuff outside the usual cultural osmosis.

But...ironically, T-Series had a YouTube account all the way back in 2006, so if anyone could claim to have stuck with the service....

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
No I think he was making a Death Note joke. In Death Note if the cause of death cannot be accomplished , the victim will die of a heart attack. This also means it cannot kill people whose name isnt written down in it.

I think he said that because Heather was hit by a car going down a crowded street, which means that the Death Note would kill her with a heart attack instead to avoid killing other people.

He was implying that it was improbable for her to have died due to getting hit by a car in a crowded street.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017

A homegrown, white-as-the-driven-snow, Nazi-sympathizer, racist, homophobic YouTuber though.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A homegrown channel that only exists to spread nazi and racist propaganda (like seriously that is all PDP does now, he almost never posts video game videos anymore. He supposed "meme" videos are full of alt right trash.).

Deleted member 9986

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is crazy how organized the alt right is on social media compared to real life, they swarm like wasps on stuff. I guess liberals have that too but mostly on Twitter, the alt right is huuuuuge on YouTube and that's terrifying. YT is a intrinsic part of people's lives today.
How did they ever give YouTube rewind that many dislikes? And then Marques acts like 'the people have spoken'. Is he that daft? If people like him don't see through the mass organizational power of the alt right, how will kids? That think that what is popular is what is right?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Spinning this thing as collective, grassroots action against a soulless corporation is pretty wild.
It is crazy how organized the alt right is on social media compared to real life, they swarm like wasps on stuff.
This tendency actually gives credence to the term "basement dweller". They'll never venture out of their holes but will enthusiastically engage in online memery.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
fj2wgtmzgos11.gif

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Hey guys i've never heard of this gamergate thing, can anyone explain it to me? Idk, i'm just asking questions here"

To be fair, even now there will be people who aren't knowledgeable on all of this. Take questions regarding it as being sincere unless they have said or is saying something that makes it evidently insincere.

To anyone who knows does Markiplier have issues like this? I am subscribed to him.

I really rather not be associated with anyone who fiddles in alt-right, racist, and/or sexist behavior

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, even now there will be people who aren't knowledgeable on all of this. Take questions regarding it as being sincere unless they have said or is saying something that makes it evidently insincere.

To anyone who knows does Markiplier have issues like this? I am subscribed to him.

I really rather not be associated with anyone who fiddles in alt-right, racist, and/or sexist behavior

No direct things come to mind immediately, but Markiplier is definitely an open support of PDP so...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
PewDiePie is a grown man screaming maniacally in the microphone while playing games and recording himself. Although he earns copious amounts of money, that's not something that impresses me since it's well known we live in idiotic world.

In my book, he's is something not even worth mentioning.

As always, Hard Drive / Hard Times kills.

He earns copious amounts of money because people watch his videos. He had direct influence on lots of people. Lots of kids. That's why he's worth talking about.

He's not even just some celebrity, some actor who you can like in movies and be ignorant of who he actually is. His entire work is content that is just him as himself. He is exposing countless impressionable people to this vile nonsense.

It's culty, and the fans are manipulated by the "creators". I don't like it. I'm old tho.

Ok, you're old. So you know what an RSS feed is, right? Was it culty to follow the updates of a website or someone's blog? Hell, do you never watch any threads here?

Like... listen, I barely even use YouTube. I can't stand watching vlogs (I think my ADD makes it very hard to put up with the way they're structured) and video essays and such compared to just reading it. But even I sub to some people just because... I want to know what they've made lately? The entire point of the feature?

Sure, there's some cultishness around some creators. But I feel the cultishness comes from the size of their audience and how "direct" you connect to the person. Subscribing in itself is just a function of the platform, and the reason they push subscribing is just because it means more views and more ad money, etc.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
At least as far as the guy PDP linked to, I'm sure a few tweets to the creators/actors of stuff like Steven Universe (I'm sure they won't be thrilled with his views) could at least generate a enough copyright claims to do him like the founder of the Proud Boys.

Deleted member 13015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think of it this way: Nobody but his shit stains of fans will like him. What a good life that sounds, being surrounded and loved only by shit stains for the rest of his talentless life.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

It's a common alt-right line to suppose that Heather Heyer died of a heart attack and that her getting hit by a fucking car was just an incidental trigger to her failing health. It's essentially their way of justifying the murder by accusing the victim of being a weak, degenerate liberal who had it coming.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Think of it this way: Nobody but his shit stains of fans will like him. What a good life that sounds, being surrounded and loved only by shit stains for the rest of his talentless life.

A lot of kids watch him globally and these kids will absorb his ideas via osmosis and go on to watch problematic youtubers recommended by him. It's a big problem that Youtube is essentially a media company without any of the regulations that media companies might have to follow, depending on the country you are in.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
YouTube can be what you make it.

I only subscribe to a few distinct channels, usually ones involving film criticism. These channels have distinct individuals that offer a worldview based in some kind of academic analysis. For instance, Lindsay Ellis does longform video essays that look at trends in film, apply critical lenses, etc. Patrick Willems analyzes films through his film school education and argues for his interpretation of various films. Or there's Lessons from the Screenplay, which analyzes how screenplays do or do not work with each essay utilizing a particular film, usually down to a single scene.

There's no manipulation with them. They cite sources for their research, they address their own biases, and they are discernible people. Most importantly to me, they don't scream at the screen or seem to cater to anyone that doesn't have some education in the fields they discuss.

Like, I also have favorite authors, filmmakers, and game studios. And I keep up to date with that those folks are doing, too.

And I'm 32, which may very well be younger than you, but certainly means I'm not in the primary audience targeted by the kinds of right-wing indoctrination force that comprises the motherfucker we're discussing in the topic.

This is also very similar to DVDs often handed out at American universities by anti-abortion activists. The movie's case has absolutely zero indication it is about abortion, and the first half or so discusses the Holocaust. The idea is to lure you into a mindset where obviously mass extermination is evil, and then abruptly and ham-fistedly try to link that to abortion in the second half.

It's the hallmark of any good grift. Hook someone with the mundane or sympathetic part, then make a series of connections until eventually they are in an alternate reality.

He earns copious amounts of money because people watch his videos. He had direct influence on lots of people. Lots of kids. That's why he's worth talking about.

He's not even just some celebrity, some actor who you can like in movies and be ignorant of who he actually is. His entire work is content that is just him as himself. He is exposing countless impressionable people to this vile nonsense.

Ok, you're old. So you know what an RSS feed is, right? Was it culty to follow the updates of a website or someone's blog? Hell, do you never watch any threads here?

Like... listen, I barely even use YouTube. I can't stand watching vlogs (I think my ADD makes it very hard to put up with the way they're structured) and video essays and such compared to just reading it. But even I sub to some people just because... I want to know what they've made lately? The entire point of the feature?

Sure, there's some cultishness around some creators. But I feel the cultishness comes from the size of their audience and how "direct" you connect to the person. Subscribing in itself is just a function of the platform, and the reason they push subscribing is just because it means more views and more ad money, etc.

I feel like some people, especially older people, are really missing the point. We weren't as connected as we are today. I was a fan of celebrities growing up but I couldn't have as direct, 24/7 connection, as young impressionable kids nowadays. And this direct connection is unregulated and not monitored well, at all. At least not for what they should be looking for. And anyone can get on these platforms with no experience. That's the problem.

Just read some responses here or in the gaming side.

"I can't believe they did this!"

"I hoped they would change"

"I trusted them"

Etc, etc, etc

To make the kind of money these youtubers and streamers are making takes more than just being themselves. They aren't trying to make millions of friends, they are trying to make millions of dollars. And they are targeting the same demographics that think video game companies are their friends. These are very manipulative people.

I see an example already in this thread with Markiplier. He seems charming but watch closely some of his videos. Especially his "update" or emotional videos where he uses very common manipulative tactics of crying and appealing to all his subscribers as his friends or more. They aren't trying to be your personal friends, you as a viewer are a commodity, nothing more. And these people, especially kids are being sucked right into manipulative relationships that are 100 times worse than the celebrity worshipping from before social media. These are people wielding an incredible amount of power of influence with no culpability or oversight.

This is scary shit that has concerned me for awhile now. And parents are not equipped to deal with it, especially with your average person being frankly naive to all this.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone can ever explain anything away by claiming it simply wasn't fully vetted. That's at best gross negligence. You can't operate in social media without knowing what inevitably happens to anyone with skeletons, let alone people who aren't even trying to hide it.
PDP can get away with ANYTHING. As long as he doesn't explicitly say that he is a Nazi and want all Jews to die, nothing will happen.

On second thought, he can get away with that too, as he already has shown.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It would be nice if youtube actually banned the channel he linked and him. But money.