• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maxglute

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird part is how E;R's first review bashed Korra as a poor followup to Avatar... which he considers one of his favorite shows. I get Korra was divisive among the fanbase, but how does one love Avatar but absorb none of lessons.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Weird part is how E;R's first review bashed Korra as a poor followup to Avatar... which he considers one of his favorite shows. I get Korra was divisive among the fanbase, but how does one love Avatar but absorb none of lessons.

Same way neo nazis/alt right will tell you slavery is bad, the holocaust is bad, and the kkk are bad, but then repeat the exact same rhetoric unironically.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What, he promoted this white supremacist channel "in the heat of the moment" too?

The Ironic thing? remove all his racist shit and YT should STILL Ban this asshole just because his content is so fucking stupid and his face is the living definition of "headbuttable".

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
How did they ever give YouTube rewind that many dislikes? And then Marques acts like 'the people have spoken'. Is he that daft? If people like him don't see through the mass organizational power of the alt right, how will kids? That think that what is popular is what is right?

You should rethink your stance if you honestly think youtube rewind is getting disliked solely by alt-right. Its a combination of PDP fans, fans of other youtubers disappointed in a lack of appearance, youtube being tone deaf on several things including whats going on in their own website and BTS fans angry that youtube used a song without credit whilst removing views from their videos.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now I could understand him accidently promoting someone like that, but the video he referred to was racist as fuck, so he was absolutely 100% aware of it

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
https://people.com/tv/youtube-pewdiepie-calls-lilly-singh-crybaby-wage-gap/

He also called a youtuber a crybaby after she noted that the newest top 10 highest paid youtubers were all men and suggested to her that maybe she should have capitalised on her mental health issues to sell more merch. The youtuber, Lilly Singh, had taken a short break to focus on health issues.

On Dec. 3, Forbes released its list of the highest-paid YouTube stars of 2018, which did not include any women. A day later, Singh, 30, tweeted about the gender disparity.
"2 years ago it was almost even between male & female, last year it was just me and this year there are no females at all. Something I predicted in my instagram caption last year. I'm concerned the digital space is going to repeat the mistakes of ancient industries. Hope I'm wrong," she wrote Dec. 4.

After some criticized her tweet, Singh released another statement on Twitter days later: "I tweeted about seeing no women on the YouTubers Forbes list and as a result I received some angry tweets from men. Remind me why YOU are mad again? Im not playing a 'gender card' I am literally stating facts about results in an article. Let's do better. I'm not your enemy x."

But upon seeing Singh's comments, Swedish YouTuber PewDiePie — real name Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg — slammed her in a YouTube video.

"You know, maybe this is a crazy idea, but maybe you should plan a campaign or something like that to increase your revenue," PewDiePie, 29, said to Singh during his Pew News segment.

He also took a jab at her recent decision to take a break from making videos to focus on her mental health.

"Something about mental health and then just come back and sell a bunch of merch afterwards," he continued. "That would be a great idea. Maybe that would help you earn more revenue."

"I think what's interesting about this whole thing is it's saying that men are being paid more than women, in the YouTube space, which is obviously just ridiculous," he said. "You don't get paid more or less based on your gender. AdSense pays the same way. If people want to subscribe to you, they generally do it because they enjoy your videos, not because of your gender. That's just ridiculous. But if you start complaining about this, you literally just sound like a crybaby and an idiot, which you are Lilly Singh, just in case you weren't sure."

Edit: Seems like I misunderstood PDP? He wasn't suggesting that she should capitalise on her mental health issues but rather pointing out that she did it after she returned.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
WTF at MKBHD? He was like the last person I'd have expected to support PDP. I just went through his feed. He hasn't taken it back or apologized which means he definitely believes he's said nothing wrong. And most of the replies to that tweet are in support of him for being "on their team". (WTF is a 9 year old? Is that what PDP fans call themselves?) So now I have to unsubscribe from him? What about iJustine? They do videos together all the time. Is she secretly on his side too? Do I have to unsubscribe from her too by extension? Ugh this is like Channel Awesome with Tamara and Malcom (And Brad) all over again.

Why are you surprised?

MKBHD is a shill. Just watch his so called interview with Elon Musk. He'd always back other big youtubers. That what the majority do. It's like some secret code. They rather call out the mainstream media and call them outdated, jealous and the other stupid shit.

IJustine is a Apple shill, but she doesn't try to hide it.

Unbox therapy is decent when he's not unboxing phones. I don't mind him as a person.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There will be another Adpocalypse and Youtubers will wonder why

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Report E,R's Patreon, Patreon has been pretty *decent* lately in getting rid of these accounts.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
To make the kind of money these youtubers and streamers are making takes more than just being themselves. They aren't trying to make millions of friends, they are trying to make millions of dollars. And they are targeting the same demographics that think video game companies are their friends. These are very manipulative people.

The line here about people who think of gaming companies as friends is the one that utterly chills me. Because I know it happens, and we can see it everyday on this very forum.

And it's not solely because it's a gaming thing. I think a lot of us here that can spot it and recoil from it saw it happen first with gaming due to our tastes, but I think we can spot it across the entire spectrum of that multi-tentacled monster that is fandom. Any facet of culture that people can create a subculture around - gaming, wrestling, cars, sports, anime, manga, and even YouTube "personalities" - almost inevitably leads to not just communities that veer towards exclusionary mindsets and actions but also toward a sense of personal ownership that gets really scary really fast.

As a kid in the 90s I had my great loves - The Simpsons, Nintendo, Jurassic Park, Goosebumps and later Star Wars novels - but at every point along the media spectrum I recognized that I did not control the art. Other people did, and they did not necessarily need to take my evolving tastes into consideration. It was cool if they did, but if the story they were telling or the gameplay they were crafting lost me, then so be it. Other stuff existed. No one, to use the shitty parlance of a decade ago, "raped my childhood". I had my childhood, unique to me, and of the stuff that existed then some I still love, and some is best left as a pleasant memory.

But as you said, there's that insidious grain of the relationship with the creator that has metastasized with the growth of the internet. Immediate access to the creative process in its nascence means that people feel a stake in the outcome. Remember Mass Effect 3? Or, for that matter, any time a story beat in a television episode or long-running film franchise (ahem, Star Wars) doesn't somehow conform to a preconditioned set of expectations there is a sense of betrayal. Which is simply absurd. I have seen people in the run-up to a film release claim that if the movie doesn't do exactly what they assume from laborious hours of speculation and insane expectations that the product is a failure. There's a sense that if you're niche isn't exclusively catered to then the creators had an agenda against you.

Where this all ties back around is that need for pandering beyond the artistic realm. It starts with those subcultural media - gaming, wrestling, cars, sports, anime, manga, and even YouTube "personalities" - but quickly transforms into further ideas of personal identity. "Women aren't funny", thus comedy is for men. "Women only play casual games", thus gaming is for men. "Star Wars is part of the SJW agenda" because it dared to give representation to women and people of color, thus Star Wars is for white, straight men. And the feedback loop of people like PewDiePie and Ninja and others becomes an inculcation of a strange, grotesque white, male identity built around fiefdoms of media and culture.

I honestly have no clue how to combat this. It is so farcical on its face, overgrown children demanding that the world caters to their eccentric whims, that it's mockable right up to the point that it becomes increasingly dangerous. Extremism in its myriad forms is always deplorable, but at least you might be able to say that its roots were often founded in very real pain, marginalized people driven to drastic measures as a means of asserting that they too exist and they too need the rudimentary staples of living.

But what the fuck are these miscreants? They utterly ruin Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. They're fed, they have water, they have shelter, they have community, and by dint of their gender, sexuality, and often race they have privileges that the people they hate couldn't dare dream of. They harbor murderous sentiment because someone swapped the gender of a cartoon character.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017

He also called a youtuber a crybaby after she noted that the newest top 10 highest paid youtubers were all men and suggested to her that maybe she should have capitalised on her mental health issues to sell more merch. The youtuber, Lilly Singh, had taken a short break to focus on health issues.
Well, to be fair, he made fun of her for capitalising on her mental health issues to sell merch. Not suggesting it. I can't read the article right now, but if it is that what they are trying to spin I'd almost call that ill intent. It is quite obvious without further context needed in the video imo.

Not trying to defend PewDiePie here, but traditional media really needs to step up their game when reporting on new media figures. This is quite counter productive...

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One day, Youtube will doing something. One day.

giphy.gif

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well, to be fair, he made fun of her for capitalising on her mental health issues to sell merch. Not suggesting it. I can't read the article right now, but if it is that what they are trying to spin I'd almost call that ill intent. It is quite obvious without further context needed in the video imo.

Not trying to defend PewDiePie here, but traditional media really needs to step up their game when reporting on new media figures. This is quite counter productive...

Oh I took that as him saying that she should capitalise on her mental health, not that she has done it. My mistake.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017

He's such a giant piece of shit. It's depressing that such terrible people have the success they do. He deserves to rot in a gutter.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's a common alt-right line to suppose that Heather Heyer died of a heart attack and that her getting hit by a fucking car was just an incidental trigger to her failing health. It's essentially their way of justifying the murder by accusing the victim of being a weak, degenerate liberal who had it coming.

Well if the dude wants to show off the inherent superiority of the aryan race by getting himself run over by a car, well, I won't complain. It might be the first damn video of his I'd watch

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Well.

Seeing that he is the number 1 guy in YouTube, I suppose this really is a representative of what YouTube really like.

Which makes all the Corporate-Safe image they're trying to project with YouTube Rewind 2018 is so hilariously off-putting.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a common alt-right line to suppose that Heather Heyer died of a heart attack and that her getting hit by a fucking car was just an incidental trigger to her failing health. It's essentially their way of justifying the murder by accusing the victim of being a weak, degenerate liberal who had it coming.
Alt-right on that giga-Hume shit.

In the Treatise, Hume identifies two ways that the mind associates ideas, via natural relations and via philosophical relations. Natural relations have a connecting principle such that the imagination naturally leads us from one idea to another. The three natural relations are resemblance, contiguity, and cause and effect. Of these, Hume tells us that causation is the most prevalent. But cause and effect is also one of the philosophical relations, where the relata have no connecting principle, instead being artificially juxtaposed by the mind.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Pewdiepie's callout garnered him a nice 16.000 subscriber increase over the 2 day period:

wc3NFxU.png

Source.

One example of E;R's bigoted content is the video, "Pearl Lies Shamelessly to Steven":

1. 1:30 it lists many Jewish celebrities, this is an anti-Semitic tactic called "naming the Jew" meant to accuse them of some wrongdoing for their success.
  2. 2:10 it displays the text "CUT THE (((GEMS))) SPACE WAR NOW" which is a reference to the anti-Semitic catchphrase "Gas the Jews, race war now". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses
  3. 2:40 it dogwhistles yet another anti-Semitic canard which claims that Jews are humanity's greatest threat, the same used to justify the holocaust.
Source u/shatteredfondant

Another example would be his video "Steven Rapeyverse, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love to Fuse", which ends with a 2:30 min long Hitler speech railing against MSM and Jews.

FPGonfu.png

A5Ce0Oq.png

Full breakdown of the situation regarding Pewdiepie and E;R by Hasan Piker from TYT and why this is so problematic.

E;R revealing his MO:

Pewdiepie is a garbage human being

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
The line here about people who think of gaming companies as friends is the one that utterly chills me. Because I know it happens, and we can see it everyday on this very forum.

It's visible in so many threads. Gamer tribalism is one of the silliest things that is, at the same time, the most abusable. Which is why companies and tubers alike constantly abuse it. And these gamers don't even see how manipulated they are.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't he a Swede? Are any laws in Sweden against this type of content?

He doesn't live in Sweden anymore, but we have laws against hate speech, and I think when he had a "heated gaming moment" something could have been done, but the law is not really tested for stuff like saying slurs on a stream, I don't know how they would apply that to a stream or YT-video.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
He doesn't live in Sweden anymore, but we have laws against hate speech, and I think when he had a "heated gaming moment" something could have been done, but the law is not really tested for stuff like saying slurs on a stream, I don't know how they would apply that to a stream or YT-video.

If he is still a citizen of Sweden then the laws should apply. I do not see the distinction of the method of hate speech, recorded should be valid as written.

And another thing, chances are that if he lives in EU, the hate speech laws of the country he is residing should apply.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Why are you surprised?

MKBHD is a shill. Just watch his so called interview with Elon Musk. He'd always back other big youtubers. That what the majority do. It's like some secret code. They rather call out the mainstream media and call them outdated, jealous and the other stupid shit.

IJustine is a Apple shill, but she doesn't try to hide it.

Unbox therapy is decent when he's not unboxing phones. I don't mind him as a person.
See, I avoided his Musk interviews because I just don't give a shit about Musk anymore. But yeah, I could tell he's big into Musk and his stuff. I just didn't think about it. I was just there for his Apple reviews.

Which is why I liked iJustine. I like her enthusiasm even if it turns others off. Yeah, she loves Apple. So do I. But she does collaborations with MKBHD a lot. The video they did unboxing the 2000 colored iBook got me to subscribe to her.

And I watch Unbox Therapy if it intrigues me. (Yeah, usually not phone stuff) But a lot of the time he uses that same clickbait style thumbnails and titles. But so does EverythingApplePro who I also avoid unless it's a video about an update or something.

It's exhausting these days living in the constant fear that you'll wake up and find out that you can't watch a channel anymore because the creator said something really stupid. Like for the most part I watch safe channels. People who seem to be really good people. But I dread the day I wake up and find out one of my favorites that I watch every single day suddenly has to come out of my rotation. Like I literally only watch YouTube. And it's hard enough filling the day with content. Maybe I'm being selfish. At least it's just MKBHD who only uploads something I want to watch occasionally, and not someone like PeanutButterGamer or The Completionist.

Oct 27, 2017
If he is still a citizen of Sweden then the laws should apply. I do not see the distinction of the method of hate speech, recorded should be valid as written.

And another thing, chances are that if he lives in EU, the hate speech laws of the country he is residing should apply.

I think he lives in England and I have no idea what kind of laws they have against hate speech there. I have no idea if he's still a citizen, I agree, and people have charged with hate speech for things they've written on the internet. But he doesn't live here anymore so I don't really know the whole legal situation is, since he's not breaking any law in the UK as far as I know.

It's like I would go to the US and smoke weed, I can't be arrested in the US under Swedish law, as far as I know at least.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Despicable. PewDiePie needs to disappear from YouTube and other social medias. His racist ideas can and will influence young people. This has to stop.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Like I literally only watch YouTube. And it's hard enough filling the day with content. Maybe I'm being selfish. At least it's just MKBHD who only uploads something I want to watch occasionally, and not someone like PeanutButterGamer or The Completionist.

To be totally honest, I find this utterly incomprehensible. Like, the dearth of quality movies, TV, books (!), music, and more (fine art!), out there is just insurmountable. Is there no other outlet you find enjoyable?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
To be totally honest, I find this utterly incomprehensible. Like, the dearth of quality movies, TV, books (!), music, and more (fine art!), out there is just insurmountable. Is there no other outlet you find enjoyable?
Not really. I guess my tastes have just changed. I mean I love movies and TV. But right now, I really love YouTubers. There's a lot of good content out there. People call me crazy. But I don't care.

Nov 30, 2017
You know, the continued existence of PDP being able to carry on being racist would logically blow a hole into whatever anti-Semitic "Jews run the world" theory they subscribe to, but I know logic is hard for those who blindly hate.

Nov 30, 2017
Like I literally only watch YouTube. And it's hard enough filling the day with content. Maybe I'm being selfish. At least it's just MKBHD who only uploads something I want to watch occasionally, and not someone like PeanutButterGamer or The Completionist.

This wouldn't be so bad (sad?) if you were watching international news or science or college lectures or presentations from hacker conferences, literally anything that could teach you a skill or learn something useful and tangible, but somehow you run out of shit content.

All the libraries and books and movies in the world you ran out of videos watching people open boxes. Amazing.

Liberteer

Dec 8, 2018
Sarajevo
He earns copious amounts of money because people watch his videos. He had direct influence on lots of people. Lots of kids. That's why he's worth talking about.

He's not even just some celebrity, some actor who you can like in movies and be ignorant of who he actually is. His entire work is content that is just him as himself. He is exposing countless impressionable people to this vile nonsense.

Well, excuse me for saying it out loud, but kids who choose pdp are idiots. Most of the kids these days who have foods on their table and iPhones in their hands to stream and watch are privileged. They can and have the obligation of picking the right content. When I was 10, I had a choice of picking shitty local music and blending in or choosing Metallica and Stones. I chose Metallica and Stones. And so on. Let kids have some fucking responsibility. Everyone has choices at their disposal.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well, excuse me for saying it out loud, but kids who choose pdp are idiots. Most of the kids these days who have foods on their table and iPhones in their hands to stream and watch are privileged. They can and have the obligation of picking the right content. When I was 10, I had a choice of picking shitty local music and blending in or choosing Metallica and Stones. I chose Metallica and Stones. And so on. Let kids have some fucking responsibility. Everyone has choices at their disposal.
Kids dont have the knowledge, experience or critical thinking skills to be able to see why people like PDP and others who push fascist content are bad or how they operate so to put the blame on them is ridiculous.

Also, while i agree that PDP is not funny at all, i didnt grow up with that being the biggest thing in entertainment like these kids have done so you cant put the same standards on them.

Your post just comes across as some self congratulatory, hipster rubbish that completely ignores reality.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Youtube needs state regulation like it's a cable channel or something.

Kids need protection from manipulative and extremist views hidden behind a "gaming channel".

Their algorithms promote conspiracy theories, fake news and as soon as you watch just one video of a certain type of content the algorithm will literally force more shit down your throat.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018
I don't know much about him, I never watched anything he did back when it was video game stuff, but I have watched a few of his recent videos and he doesn't seem like a bad guy... I watched the video which this news is from and he called out like 50 channels he has enjoyed. If one of them had posted some dodgy stuff I'm quite sure he didn't know that or else he wouldn't have said it...

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I don't know much about him, I never watched anything he did back when it was video game stuff, but I have watched a few of his recent videos and he doesn't seem like a bad guy... I watched the video which this news is from and he called out like 50 channels he has enjoyed. If one of them had posted some dodgy stuff I'm quite sure he didn't know that or else he wouldn't have said it...
The specific video he mentions makes jokes about Heather Heyer's death, and has multiple uses of the n-word. PDP also left a positive comment on that video, saying he was looking forward to the second part. He 100% is aware of the content in these videos.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You can say all you want about Felix and his views and what you believe about him as a person.

The n-word flows easily from his mouth and he props up/supports some horrible people.

Even if all of this were ironic, it wouldn't matter. The fact his platform is playing host to these things is harmful enough without any ill intent required.

That he still can't see that makes him at best completely deaf and blind to these issues, and at worst actively championing them.

Either way, he's complicit.

And I've heard some horrible things from teenage kids who parrot his "irony" like it's actually gospel.

The harm he's doing is too great to ignore.