• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
lol it's amazing what atrocities people will stand up for and make excuses for these days...

Yeah, people fucking suck and this board is littered with shitheads apparently.

I dont get it....hes making fun of one of those tik tok things.
Thats like saying trump jokes promote nazism.

Lmao uhhhh

edit, actually followed the comments. well the guy told you to fuck off because you said you hated how this fucking racist youtuber said the n-word, but you don't care that he's posted many antisemetic things at this point. its a double standard and you're wrong.

Thank you.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This guy is a racist based on his history but to think this was intentional is a stretch. I've never used tik tok but people say it's like vine? How could you research everyone in a vine compilation?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I just dont hold a lot of credibility against people on the internet.
I believe people here are legit fighting the good fight. But lots are not really convincing. You want to make a stance? Go outside and demonstrate. Posting thousands of messages on a videogame forum isnt gonna change the world. Often its just baiting out and parroting each other.
It just gets really annoying.

But thats just my experience.

Ah, yes, the internet - that thing that has had no influence on the world in recent times, where how people behave has no consequences at all whatsoever. (My point: nothing about a discussion happening online should make you question its credibility or meaningfulness.)

Ah, yes, demonstrations - that thing that the public at large always takes seriously. (My point: actually, people dismiss demonstrators as readily as they do anyone else, and credibility is a constantly moving target. Instead of arbitrarily deciding this or that avenue for discussion gives one more credibility, approach all discussions in good faith.)

Ah, yes, the internet and demonstrations - those things that are mutually exclusive with one another. (You can call shit out on the internet and go outside and demonstrate. They are far from mutually exclusive.)

What? So me trying to research why a guy is making a bid deal about an unindentified 5 second clip is being insane?

Yes. Your "research" has contributed nothing to the discussion except distraction, the way you've characterized your "discoveries" has been hilariously misguided, and 99% of everything you've said about the dude can basically be boiled down to "he's making a big deal out of nothing and is therefore a SJW."

Are you really taking that dude opinion at face value without making any kind of research into who he is? He could be making shit up but it is insane to investigate?

The video is right there. Right there. There's no need to take his (rather grounded) tweets at face value. Assuming we are living in the same reality, this is a discussion that is rooted in shared evidence.

By the way, the problem is less that you did a quick glance at the guy's bio, and more that you crafted a nonsensical narrative around it.

And it is not social criticism it is social destructive criticism. He is not out to make PDP change or look at his ways. He is out to expose him and others to keep his followers safe from any kind of exposure to "evil" things.

Nah, it's social criticism. PewDiePie has been given a lot of chances, he warrants scrutiny, and there's nothing about accurately calling out something he did that abandons social criticism and retreats into the realm of "social destructive criticism."

By the way, I love how you've created this bizarre dichotomy in which there's Social Criticism and Social Destructive Criticism, and the essential difference between them is that in one you call someone out publicly and in the other you go down on them or something and then calmly explain to them personally what they've done wrong.

Outrage of a 5/840 second of a YT video. This is all that this is. No discourse at all just reinforcement of the idea that PDP has to be evil without any valid proof for this one.

And this is me ONLY talking about this video not the shady shit he has done before.

"I know there's a larger context, but in the greatest irony, I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist in order to maximize my outrage at the reaction to this specific situation."

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
How much does pewdiepie have to do before people stop giving him the benefit of the doubt for christ's sake
There are probably a lot of people - not necessarily even fans - who will never stop defending him no matter what he does. Maybe there's some straw that will eventually break the camel's back and cause his viewership to decline, but I don't know.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
With due all respect to the actual mod team:That they were better mods.
In any case I don't think this is the thread for this conversation, neither I feel myself going in length now about it.

The point was that there wasn't anything wrong with old GAF... Until it's downfall and becoming an alt-right den.

Probably not the best place to discuss this, but I need to vehemently disagree. Even beyond the most notorious mods that are surely on everyone's minds, I can at least think of two other GAF mods I didn't care for in the least (one of them enjoying actively trolled the GW2 thread even after he stopped playing, and banned people who called him out on it). Whereas Era has a solid track record of making mods out of my favorite people (Morrigan, Finale Fireworker and now RedCrayon) and has been far more lenient with warnings and infractions.

You might be confused by the fact that Era stamps down harder on bigotry than GAF did. Sorry, but for me, that's a feature, not a bug.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not the best place to discuss this, but I need to vehemently disagree. Even beyond the most notorious mods that are surely on everyone's minds, I can at least think of two other GAF mods I didn't care for in the least (one of them enjoying actively trolled the GW2 thread even after he stopped playing, and banned people who called him out on it). Whereas Era has a solid track record of making mods out of my favorite people (Morrigan, Finale Fireworker and now RedCrayon) and has been far more lenient with warnings and infractions.

You might be confused by the fact that Era stamps down harder on bigotry than GAF did. Sorry, but for me, that's a feature, not a bug.

I'm not sure if criticism of Era is even allowed but I recently caught a 2 week ban for racism for asking if someone else is black (keep in mind I myself am black). Era has it's own issues just like GAF did.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I believe people here are legit fighting the good fight. But lots are not really convincing. You want to make a stance? Go outside and demonstrate. Posting thousands of messages on a videogame forum isnt gonna change the world. Often its just baiting out and parroting each other.

You can as a singular individual make more impact on social media then singular individual demonstrating outside <insert place>

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I was in Honolulu over the holidays, cutting through the mall from the beach back to my AirBnB. A teen girl at the top of the escalator was stopping everyone, showing them her handmade sign, which read "Subscribe to PewDiePie." As I got to the top someone was asking her why they should. She's like "Because he's awesome!" I looked the would-be subscribers in the eye and said "He's a white supremacist" and they turned and looked at the girl like she was an alien, while she looked pissssseddddd.

It was a good day.

You forgot the part where everyone clapped and cheered for doing something so very brave.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm not sure if criticism of Era is even allowed but I recently caught a 2 week ban for racism for asking if someone else is black (keep in mind I myself am black). Era has it's own issues just like GAF did.

Saying A is better than B is not the same as saying A is perfect or infallible. No forum will ever have perfect moderation as long as the moderators are human.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was in Honolulu over the holidays, cutting through the mall from the beach back to my AirBnB. A teen girl at the top of the escalator was stopping everyone, showing them her handmade sign, which read "Subscribe to PewDiePie." As I got to the top someone was asking her why they should. She's like "Because he's awesome!" I looked the would-be subscribers in the eye and said "He's a white supremacist" and they turned and looked at the girl like she was an alien, while she looked pissssseddddd.

It was a good day.

This is true.

I was the escalator.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I cannot be the only one chuckling at someone trying to convince others to "go out and demonstrate, instead of posting in a forum", by posting in a forum. :D

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's like, the reason most of us moved here, no?

Some of these posts here echo that Congressman from the news this morning: "When did the term 'white supremacist' become a bad thing?"

Pretty much. People with low tolerance for sexism, bigotry and hypocrisy moved to Era; people who didn't mind that much stayed on GAF. I don't think why people are surprised that this selection filter resulted in Era the progressive forum and modern-GAF the average gamer hellhole.

In a more meta sense, it's like people want the intelligent discouse of a strongly moderated forum with zero tolerance for bigotry, but without said moderation being applicable to them. OK, it's not "like" that; it's exactly that.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
You'd think his editors would catch that. Unless they're in on promoting shit like that or...maybe they're trying to sabotage?

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he's laughing at a 10 second clip of some shitty dude in an entire video of him reacting to other dumb tik toks. This is literally looking for anything to be outraged about.

Yep.

It was a good day.

Wait is this a copy pasta

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I do agree. It's being blown out of proportion. a 5 second video in a 14 minute clip is getting so much attention, and PDP is being called out on it and people are jumping the gun, calling him names they've been calling him for a while, asking YT to do something about it, etc. It's just...

This. It's this.
Duration can increase the severity of an infraction, but you can't just dismiss criticism of the behavior as exaggerated if a single instance doesn't reach some arbitrary duration. It remains a thing that happened. And it's a thing that has happened repeatedly. Frequency continues to exacerbate the severity of his offense and makes attempted dismissals of it increasingly seem unjustified.

Are people not aware that it's a pattern? This time it was just a 5 second segment. Last time it was just a 10 second mention. The time before that it was just a joke. The time before that it was just a one second heated gaming moment. Etcetera probably.

This argument that people are bringing out is like "sure, he punched that guy in the face multiple times, but each punch only lasted a second so it doesn't count."

And with this analogy I am not saying that what Kjellberg has done is equivalent to assault, rather it is meant to point out that the argument that duration of an offense is the only relevant aspect, is blatant weak nonsense.

edit
The context of which the clip appears in the video (i.e. this video is him watching random clips) would have some significance.
But as others have probably mentioned, the guy can afford to hire people to go through his videos before they're uploaded. Check for blatant assholes like BakedAlaska. If he's not being intentionally shitty here, he's being incompetent, negligent and/or lazy.

Last edited:

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Even assuming this was an accident, why give him the benefit of the doubt considering his history?

Cause the amount of seconds in a compilation reaction just doesn't add up to "promotes a nazi".

Even with all his background, how can a person see this as "promoting a nazi" ... smh

But sure, people are free to believe that he asked brad "hey brad, I reacted to the obvious nazi propaganda alaska boy, dont cut that shit up! ITS IMPORTANT! Its all part of the plan"

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Joined a month ago. 8 posts, half of them in here. Tired already.

You need more stamina boi.

I've come to realize something... It doesn't take much to make gamers snap.

Discussing lack of representation in videogames? snap.

Acknowledging that racism is an issue within the gaming community? snap.

Wife interrupts you while streaming games? snap EXTRA hard.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've come to realize something... It doesn't take much to make gamers snap.

Discussing lack of representation in videogames? snap.

Acknowledging that racism is an issue within the gaming community? snap.

Wife interrupts you while streaming games? snap EXTRA hard.
gamers don't snap, they "rise up"

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
Yikes....The amount of context required to understand why this should be considered bad or offensive is more depressing than laughable.

What's sad is that i came into this thread thinking it was going to be a big oopsie (11 pages, god damn), but after seeing what it's about, i'm feeling more like "wait, really?....again?".

I legitimately want to be justifiably offended as people were when PDP said the N-word during a stream, but this ain't it.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Gave up on giving YouTubers benefit of the doubt tbh. This really doesn't surprise me, he isn't an idiot and lives on the internet. He knows who that dude is.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Giving any amount of time to scum like this is irresponsible when you have an audience so large. Misusing and misunderstanding the influence you have doesn't clear you of any guilt when you're making content so willy-nilly, it's his responsibility to clear these other content makers so he isn't normalizing their views with his large audience. "It's just a reaction video!" isn't an excuse, not when your influence is so large.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow! How dare he not run a background check on every TikTok user he features in a TikTok compilation.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loving all the "lol classic era not wanting nazis to be promoted by huge influential members of gaming media, sjws, this is why era has this reputation!".

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow! How dare he not run a background check on every TikTok user he features in a TikTok compilation.
If you have regular conversations with Stefan Molyneux on Twitter, you have enough savvy in internet and right-wing culture to know who Baked Alaska, whose username is prominently displayed in the clip, is.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I think the best way to fight this is to stop giving him attention, controversy just seems to make him more popular

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting harder to take Era reactions seriously on some of these "celebs." PewDiePie has done some stupid/offensive things, no question, and he could disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't affect me at all... But this? This is nothing and title is insanely misleading.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you have regular conversations with Stefan Molyneux on Twitter, you have enough savvy in internet and right-wing culture to know who Baked Alaska, whose username is prominently displayed in the clip, is.
That's an assumption though.

I personally haven't heard of "Baked Alaska" since 2016 and would have no idea what he looks like. Were they not banned from Twitter?

Jan 3, 2019
So how hard is it to write "On my last video I promoted content from a person who does not reflect my beliefs. I apologize and promise to make sure such things do not happen again"?

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I probably would've never noticed or even known of this had this ERA thread not existed. And that goes for PDPs last few infractions as well. At some point, you have to ask yourself whether it's worth being a sentinel of his content if you're just going to raise awareness of this stuff to audiences that probably wouldn't have known otherwise. I can also say with confidence that most of the ERA population would not be influenced by a few second mention of a white supremacist.

PDP is shit. We know. Stop putting his shit on blast here just to be outraged. We know he's an idiot and likely white supremacist sympathizer.

lino

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's watching a compilation of tik toks though? 99% of reactors big or small dont go all FBI on the person in a single clip of a compilation come on now..This is a stretch and a half.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

With this logic, he now knows, so has he removed it?

He's watching a compilation of tik toks though? 99% of reactors big or small dont go all FBI on the person in a single clip of a compilation come on now..This is a stretch and a half.

It's a stretch to say he's promoting it. I'd say it's more likely he just doesn't give a shit because he's an immoral shitbag. Is that okay to say?

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
Atrocity - an extremely wicked or cruel act, typically one involving physical violence or injury.

This isn't that, for fucks sake choose your words better. This kind of hyperbolic nonsense makes it hard to take your points seriously. PDP is a bad and more than suspicious YouTuber. He has never committed an atrocity. Sharing 5 seconds of an alt right dude dabbing (not doing anything particularly alt right) in a 14 minute video is about the farthest thing from an atrocity that I can imagine. Calm down lol

You've convinced me that my verbiage is the real problem here and not the insanely popular YouTube star with a mostly child audience that continuously invokes alt-right propaganda and/or people in his videos. Henceforth, I shall carry a thesaurus and use the dullest, least poignant words I can possibly muster.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Is the implication that he actively went out of his way when selecting videos to react to and specifically picked the one with a white supremacist that he knew would cause controversy because...... why?

What kind of cartoony villian are we trying to make here? I never watch this dude's content but man this whole thing sounds like such contrived controversy stirring. Like giving us any possible reason to hate this dude when he's doing the most basic youtube stuff.
While I agree that he doesn't seem to actively promote or remark the specific video, there is an abundance of precedents heavily encouraging him to fact check his sources, since everything he says or does gets enormously publicized and reaches a lot of people. Yet he still doesn't learn, which leads us to suspect connivence.

Status
Not open for further replies.