• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Axios has reported that PG&E who supplies 16 million people in California with electricity has stated intentional blackouts like the one that occurred this month could be needed for 10 years:

October 18, 2019

PG&E's CEO Bill Johnson said Friday that it could be a decade before the company has made enough improvements to its electric infrastructure to prevent widespread pre-emptive blackouts, the Wall Street Journal reports.

What's happening: The California Public Utilities Commission grilled Johnson and other PG&E executives on Friday over a four-day power shutoff that affected roughly 2 million people in an attempt to prevent wildfires.

• Marybel Batjer, president of the commission, said the executives "failed on so many levels on pretty simple stuff," AP reports.
  • "Making the right decision on safety is not the same as executing that decision well," Johnson said on Friday. "PG&E has to be better prepared than it was this time."

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Horrific - here in my state in Australia the utilities literally can not sell enough power because the solar uptake has been so strong so they are operating at losses and the value of their plants are slashed.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't see how PG&E keeps the contract.

Though who does it after this? The government? ConEd?

This is a super bad situation all around, mostly because everyone is fucking around and won't nail this shit down.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't trust something as vital as electricity to a profit seeking institution.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
300px-Winnie_the_Pooh_Reading.jpg

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I give them 5 years before the company is gone, no way they make it to 10 at this point

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I fucking hate California. So much wealth and money and yet politicians don't do shit about our garbage infrastructure and crippling homelessness.

It's so frustrating

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the common arguments in favor of Net Neutrality has always been "what if they treated other basic utilities like water and electricity like your broadband service?"

Well...now they are. #America

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't see how PG&E keeps the contract.

Though who does it after this? The government? ConEd?

This is a super bad situation all around, mostly because everyone is fucking around and won't nail this shit down.
Maybe instead of that horrendous light speed rail thing that keeps coming in and out of development, they just cancel that, use those billions of dollars to wipe out the board of PG&E and take it over as a state utility and use the rest of the money to repair all the broken shit across the state that's needed repairing for decades now.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
This is malicious compliance at a mass level.

"Don't want us to start wildfires, eh? Well if you say so!"

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is crazy to think about, when all my life (almost 34 years now), here in Germany, there were like 2 instances of power outages and they lasted for like a minute or two. And they were big deals in the press the day after. O.o

We're talking very different cpacities of course but I wouldn't be all that comfortable with my power provider telling me that power might just randomly go out over the next 10-year span.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Same thing is happening in socal on a smaller scale with Edison. Both need to be taken over by the governments (state, city).

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The PUC needs to shut this shit down.

Turning off power to millions of people is not a sustainable approach to fixing the mess caused by your own negligence.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
This is crazy to think about, when all my life (almost 34 years now), here in Germany, there were like 2 instances of power outages and they lasted for like a minute or two. And they were big deals in the press the day after. O.o

We're talking very different cpacities of course but I wouldn't be all that comfortable with my power provider telling me that power might just randomly go out over the next 10-year span.
Temp power outages in cali use to be common a in the early 2000s with Rolling Blackouts due to energy crisis. Thanks Enron!

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
PG&E shouldn't be allowed to exist if they are gonna pull shit like that
Thank their lobbying to basically make it illegal to run any other sort of power, but I'm pretty sure tesla is gonna try to push some sort of program for the worse effected areas to get their house batteries.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing how government runs other infrastructure projects , government take over does not mean it will be cheaper or faster.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the PG&E just gives up and is willing to sell their whole infrastructure today. The necesarry load flow studies, rennovations, appropiations, constructions, etc would probably take 3-5 years to make the necessary improvements. The right time to look into this was 15 years ago.

Macattk15

Nov 4, 2017
I work as an electrical engineer for a utility on the East Coast.

The damage has already been done in PG&E territory. Even if someone else takes them over ... it's gonna take a lot of time and money to fix the problems that exist. It's too late.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can PG&E customers make demands to California government for them to take over PG&E's infrastructure?

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
This is by design. Minimal possible service and you can't really protest cause it's a monopoly. Fast forward 3-4 years, rich people go around saying that everyone should buy a battery to be eco-conscious, and fuck you got mine i ain't paying more for electricity only because you poor fucks can't afford a 10k battery.

At least at this rate California will have a lot of energy storage making solar farms the best energy source for cost by a country mile. When even 10% of your population has a battery, solar drawbacks basically disappear, provided there are gas plants (sadly wind in california has the same seasonal profile as solar so you can't really use it to compensate its seasonality, unlike EU) to pick up the slack in winter.