• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
the fine-text says "possible" cutoffs, it may or may not happen but those areas are the primary areas in focus for the planned shutdown.
Also worth noting for outside, but close to, the projected cutoff lines: don't trust it. These are the projected boundaries of outage. This afternoon PGE were reminding county staff where I'm at that it could very well be larger than that and so the general message ought to be that all people in cities and towns projected to experience power cutoffs should prepare for outage, regardless where their address puts them on the map.

True true. Seeing my area being so close to the cutoff just made me flip out a bit lol.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
it's also good to know that this is based on the oct 7 planned outage, so it could change within the next few hours

Yeah it's all dependent on weather conditions, which makes one hopeful that it could be less severe but also just stupidly anxious because you're like "okay. let's fucking get on with it already."

True true. Seeing my area being so close to the cutoff just made me flip out a bit lol.

For real. I'm a 5 minute walk from the projected cutoff line as well.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just keep in mind even if you're house/workplace isn't that's still 2/3 of the areas power grid which could take down a good chunk of the transportation grid which means no stop lights. Travel is going to be quite dangerous. This seems like something some people are forgetting

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in the affected area (nor is EA). But damn, PG&E. How about you maintain your fucking shit properly to not fuck over everyone time and time again?

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Just keep in mind even if you're house/workplace isn't that's still 2/3 of the areas power grid which could take down a good chunk of the transportation grid which means no stop lights. Travel is going to be quite dangerous. This seems like something some people are forgetting
That's going to be crazy. Even the people that can still get to work, I can't even imagine how thats going to go in morning commutes, especially in the denser populated areas.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Tons of people still haven't heard about it. Not well-informed at all :/ So many variables to this covering such a huge range, in a densely-populated area.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Charge your shit now people, even if you're outside the blackout zone. I personally don't even expect them to be able to turn off the power competently.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck you, PGE. I'm luckily right outside the blackout zone in El Dorado Hills, but lots of family are not.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i have a population of about 30+ patients that live in norcal that are on life supporting medical devices. some of these devices have up to 8 hours of battery life, but not no damn 3 days. hospitals are going to get slammed.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
PSA for all, please check all the tunnels, and bridges and such in your areas.

There will be some tunnels, and possibly bridge closures as a part of the outages.

If there is a power outage, Caldecott tunnel will not be function as already announced, so if you were on the other side of the bay visiting friends, make sure you get back before midnight, or more so, make it through the tunnel before then.

Other areas, make sure to check where outages may be with roads, as there are also some places that will be shut down for safety reasons.

Happy navigating all!

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
This is the first time I'm hearing about this. I live in Stockton and work in Tracy, and all the links I've seen in this thread don't work so I can't see if my house or job is directly in one of the affected zones.

If it is, can anyone recommend a power generator?

Edit: Checked their Twitter, looks like San Joaquin County will hardly be affected at all https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGZ1zXJXYAA-C_B?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Yeah you ought to be fine. It's really large pockets of the Bay Area and NorCal, with an additional stretch bordering Stanislaus & the Sierras, east of Stockton & Modesto.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
PG&E Twitter

It seems that they finally realize the upload pic function on twitter and posted the affected area of each county. But those pictures are so low quality I can't even tell my aunt if her area is affected or not. They posted it 5 hours before some places will be affected. FIVE DAMN HOURS.

edit: take south bay for example, I can't even tell what is the highway number
EGZsiKTWwAAb860

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Hilariously, a few weeks ago when we had the threat of this happening, we thought we'd be good when they said power wouldn't be shut off in our area, and then a transformer blew at around 9pm, taking out the power in the neighborhood anyways -_-. For this week, the line for the map for Rohnert Park (Sonoma County) cuts through about 4 of the houses on my street, but not for the rest of us. Definitely don't expect their lines to be so exact, so we got some extra food and filled up some 5 gallon gas cans for our generator today. The local Walmart was PACKED at 3pm, and was already running out of stuff at that time. A lady had grabbed like 5 carts full of stuff when I got there, and I managed to get the last 3 bags of ice. Getting gas was a pain in the ass too.

When we did a gas run earlier, the station had run out of anything but premium, but they went ahead and changed the prices so premium was the regular price, which was nice. However, there was a guy there wondering what the hell was going on, and we had to explain to him about the power shutoff, and he was completely surprised by it, so it looks like there's still some people oblivious to what's happening (I'm wondering if in this specific instance it was a language barrier issue, which doesn't bode well for much of the area).

Besides not being paid (and that fucking sucks), the only positive at this point is it looks like I won't need to go into work tomorrow, so yay? Regardless, stay safe folks!

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PG&E Twitter

It seems that they finally realize the upload pic function on twitter and posted the affected area of each county. But those pictures are so low quality I can't even tell my aunt if her area is affected or not. They posted it 5 hours before some places will be affected. FIVE DAMN HOURS.

edit: take south bay for example, I can't even tell what is the highway number
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
we're in the outage zone

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Classes at UC Berkeley are canceled tomorrow due to large areas of Berkeley being out

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind everybody, even if it doesn't affect your area directly, be aware it will impact all the areas around the outages.

This includes increased traffic, closures of roads, tunnels, and other issues.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus Christ I work in trucking for the Bay Area/Norcal this is going to be a fucking gong show isn't it

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BART has their own seperate power so you'll be fine.

Cool but also bummed I don't have an excuse not to go to work in SF ;)
Kiddo's school isn't shutting down either.

edit: shit I'm right in the dead zone in the part of Milpitas that borders San Jose and Santa Clara.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that this is going to be a bunch of nothing for like 95% of the people out there.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Traffic headed west into the Bay is something we already struggle with mightily this is going to be bad. Stay safe south and east bay folks

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just found out that there's no exact time table for when the power is supposed to be back on.

I'm fuming.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling that this is going to be a bunch of nothing for like 95% of the people out there.

I think it's going to effect those places more than you know it.

I can realistically expect places like restaurants, shopping centers etc., in functioning areas to be booming. People get bored sitting in the darkness, so many will go out to shop or eat or whatever, just for something to do. Or, as mentioned previously, some might crowd Starbucks and other coffee shops to just get wifi for their jobs and such.

Businesses that rely on people might be stuck because their cars are behind garage doors, for example, so I can see many places possibly be low on staff.

Traffic will be... I don't want to think about it. People don't even know what to do when ONE light on a 4-way, multi-lane stop is out of power...

Not sure if troll post I read early or real freak-out, about the "crime wave" that some expect to come. I wouldn't go that far, but I mean, if security alarms and Rings and stuff are out, it's probably a thing some will take advantage of and probably target :/

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Stores were packed tonight, all people are talking about is the outage. Guess we'll see how this goes as we approach zero hour. My home could be spared or could go without for as much as five to seven days by some reports. That's a huge variance.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017

It'll all really depends on two things: how long the power is out for in your area, and if cell service is interrupted for any real length of time.

Once PGE kills the power for a particular zone-- which could (and often does) cut through multiple counties-- then they have to wait for the conditions that caused the outage to subside, then they have to inspect every inch of line (their words) to ensure that nothing fell over or would catch fire if they turned the power back on; that's really the kicker though, logistically how long it'll take for them to physically inspect all that line. Even if they brought in a ton of temporary contractors, it's such a massive effort that them saying to "prepare for being without power up to 5 days" doesn't sounds alarmist. Am I hopeful for 24 hours of annoyance? You bet. Would I be surprised if this lasted until the weekend? With PGE at the helm? Not at all.

Any long term outage of power is going to put serious strain on surrounding communities who haven't been hit. Strain on those gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants, corner stores, hospitals, clinics, etc.. not to mention first responders dealing with the inevitable incidents that come from whole sections of a town or city being turned off, in particular if cell coverage drops.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Multiple charged devices, charged batteries, tons of water saved up. We're golden right now, but dammit this is so dumb. Especially because the weather isn't actually shitty where I am. Our lines will be cut off though because they come from more inland areas that are high-risk. Filled my gas tank today too and took some money out of the ATM.

People! Charge up your battery banks!

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
So I just found out that there's no exact time table for when the power is supposed to be back on.

I'm fuming.

It is very annoying when the official statement is basically sometimes on/after thursday.

https://abc7news.com/5603844/

Wednesday Evening 10/9 - Thursday Morning 10/10
Strongest winds expected to hit the Bay Area. Marin County officials said, "This event has the potential to be the strongest offshore wind event in the area since the October 2017 North Bay Fires." Sustained winds of 20-30 miles per hour are expected with gusts up to 45-55 mph and maximum gusts hitting 65 mph.

Thursday October 10/10: Noon
PG&E projects that it will begin power restoration around this time, but it's a fluid deadline. As mentioned earlier, they expected that the shutdown will damage some equipment that will need to be replaced and the high winds could also damage equipment that will need to be fixed.

Thursday 10/10: 5:00pm
The Red Flag warning is projected to be lifted for most of Bay Area. Again, this time frame could change depending on how the weather event unfolds.

Tuesday October 15
PG&E says that full power restoration could take five full days. Damaged equipment from shutdown and high winds could also change this time frame.

This is so mess up considering my electricity bill has that Power charge indifference adjustment that PG&E charged because many city in the bay area choice community choice energy. The delivery charge is higher the electric generation charge!

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where SFChronicle is getting this from, but if true, I would think most closer to the Bay will still have power till noon.

9:24 p.m. Bay Area blackout won't begin until noon: PG&E says the power shutoffs will not happen all at once on Wednesday. The company will implement one round of shutoffs, starting in the northern part of the state, from midnight until 4 a.m. Another round will black out neighborhoods starting at noon as the weather shifts toward the Bay Area.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the outage map but PGE.com says I'm not affected, given their recent track record and how many blackouts I've had since summer I am not optimistic.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the outage map but PGE.com says I'm not affected, given their recent track record and how many blackouts I've had since summer I am not optimistic.

the power safety power shutdown (PSPS) is not shown in the current outage map on their website. If you're in the affected area shown in the maps on Twitter, be prepared. Better safe than sorry.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Ouch. I used to live in a crappy grid area, and would get outages like at least once a month and it sucked. Now, I get one like maybe once every 2 years or so. So yeah, I get how much it sucks being on a bad grid :/

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Not sure where SFChronicle is getting this from, but if true, I would think most closer to the Bay will still have power till noon.

Thanks for the update. Makes sense for them to stagger outages depending on where the severe weather conditions appear first and give people as much time with power as possible, because once they flip that switch Off it's a long road back to On.