• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Im in San Jose near Campbell and Saratoga. Thought I was free and clear after nothing happened at noon.

Alas, seems we could atill be part of the shutoffs and the county (Santa Clara) has issued a state of emergency on top of that.

I wonder why there, specifically?

I didnt see the report earlier, but I imagine being a county of roughly 2 million people puts a high number of folks dependent on power at risk, let alone the potential for crime.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I didnt see the report earlier, but I imagine being a county of roughly 2 million people puts a high number of folks dependent on power at risk, let alone the potential for crime.

However on the effected map regions, it looks like only the perimeter would be a part of it, with 90% of the region uneffected. The SJ airport is part of this uneffected region, and yet they said they would be monitoring. I feel like they might turn off more power than expected? Didn't hear anything on the 1:30 statement, though.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So some schools were closed in CV today even though no power was out.
The power is going off tonight and now all schools are open in CV tomorrow. Nothing makes sense.

No windstorm in CV right now.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
So some schools were closed in CV today even though no power was out.
The power is going off tonight and now all schools are open in CV tomorrow. Nothing makes sense.

No windstorm in CV right now.
tenor.gif

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not ready for this at all if it hits me. I have less than a 4th tank of gas, don't have a source of light outside of my cell phone, and all of my food is regrigerated. I'm praying that the initial map of outages they put out is accurate. I'm hoping the fact that I live close to a bunch of important shit, like the SAP center and Airport - will spare me...

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
2:56 p.m. San Jose declares state of emergency: San Jose officials declared a local state of emergency. Officials from the city's Fire Department and Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services were dispatched to medical care facilities and medical baseline customers who PG&E had not been able to contact. City officials plan to brief the news media at 3:15 p.m.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Im in San Jose near Campbell and Saratoga. Thought I was free and clear after nothing happened at noon.

Alas, seems we could atill be part of the shutoffs and the county (Santa Clara) has issued a state of emergency on top of that.

I live near the Pruneyard and I haven't received any notifications. Hmm....

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I live near the Pruneyard and I haven't received any notifications. Hmm....
Me neither; I found out from my mom getting text messages about the shutdown and then seeing it all over Mercury News and other websites (as well as on local TV news) and hearing from my friends while I was streaming.

Here is a press conference about it https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/san-jose-preps-for-tonights-blackout/

Seems like its still specific areas planned, but it also sounds like it might be more considering the level of caution they are describing. "Up to 7 days before they restore the power" @_@

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Lol San Joaquin I'm still living. Hopefully this is over by Friday? Good night and good luck greater bay area.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping the power stays on tomorrow in So Cal, we're right in the 50-60mph wind tunnel.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said, I almost wish it had a definite time, because the anticipation does stink :/ This just feels like a Comcast technician visit time frame -_-

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck lol. Hope it doesnt last long :(
The problem is that once it's off, it'll be off up to 48 hours or more, so it's not a short outage, but a planned extended outage to "check" for damage in all of the area prior to turning it back on.

The people who had their power shut off earlier this morning, are still off, and will be off as long as there continues to be strong winds that move in, and each time it moves in, they'll need to push it back again to recheck everything, rinse and repeat each time within these next few days if the strong winds keep recurring.

It's really just a shit show, so the scare isn't when it's off, but once it's off, it'll just be a long, long period of time.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually slightly jealous if they turn off the power for a vast swath of land. You'd be able to stars like ever before if you look up :)

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Me neither; I found out from my mom getting text messages about the shutdown and then seeing it all over Mercury News and other websites (as well as on local TV news) and hearing from my friends while I was streaming.

Here is a press conference about it https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/san-jose-preps-for-tonights-blackout/

Seems like its still specific areas planned, but it also sounds like it might be more considering the level of caution they are describing. "Up to 7 days before they restore the power" @_@

How the fuck are folks supposed to plan for a week without power in such a short notice?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully nothing happens in SoCal. Family is pretty paranoid atm thinking LA County is being affected when the news on the matter is on NorCal. Still getting pretty high winds where I live though.
Yeah, there's definitely that feeling because all the news reports just say California (and some of my coworkers, who've lived here and not in SoCal, also mistakenly thought PG&E serves SoCal, too).

Having lived down there for over 30 years, though, I can remember only once when winds knocked out the power, and they got it back up quick.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody's power in the Bay actually gone out yet?
Yep, the north bay has been out since early in the morning, and my surrounding area, Contra Costa, had been out since earlier in the afternoon.

Luckily I'm in a spot where I'm literally surrounded by outages, but not inside it.

Crazy.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not, but they are probably covered some how. This whole thing is unbelievable. The wind is 5 mph where I'm at. There's no wind at all... they really jumped the gun on this one.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Let's hope some sort of massive class action or whatever lawsuit gets set on PG&E bc its honestly ludicrous. Some families seem to have gotten less than 24 hours to figure this out. Its 9PM here and still have power, at least.

Yeahhhh I doubt it. I actually had a class action sitting here on giving payouts for the fires from last year, but you needed "proof" that it effected you somehow :/ I also heard that people that called early yesterday, said they won't be comp'd for food going bad in the fridge and such.

They ain't paying. :/

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
More people are freaking out over this than actually being affected it feels like.