• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what this new update actually means. There is no later in the evening:

8:59 p.m. PG&E announces delay in next round of shutoffs for Bay Area: Bay Area shutoffs were delayed for an unknown amount of time on Wednesday night, said Jeff Smith, a PG&E spokesman. Smith said the utility will likely begin Bay Area shutoffs "later this evening," but did not specify a time. The utility expected to release an update on the changes Wednesday evening.

Smith also said that PG&E officials are aware of reports of technical issues on its newly-launched website, and said "we expect to have a new website for customers to access. We've been working on a fix."

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Winds kicking into high gear in Sonoma County NE of Healdsburg, and super dry out right now— 4% humidity reported at the Sonoma County airport in NW Santa Rosa. A number of small fires cropped up in the last 24hrs but nothing serious as of yet. Really hoping PGE starts line inspection tomorrow otherwise it'll probably be Saturday before power gets turned back on here.

Bright side for me is that City of Santa Rosa has their power for sewer and water on a different system/grid and so even those of us that have no electricity from PGE still have running water and flushing toilets.

It's not, but they are probably covered some how. This whole thing is unbelievable. The wind is 5 mph where I'm at. There's no wind at all... they really jumped the gun on this one.

If you're in a major urban area then it's likely not your weather conditions they're worried about, but the conditions of a high risk area you're power grid is connected to. You getting your power shut off is likely just a result of PGE trying to protect somewhere else.

Let's hope some sort of massive class action or whatever lawsuit gets set on PG&E bc its honestly ludicrous. Some families seem to have gotten less than 24 hours to figure this out. Its 9PM here and still have power, at least.

I mean, they got the shit sued outta them already. They filed for bankruptcy.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yeahhhh I doubt it. I actually had a class action sitting here on giving payouts for the fires from last year, but you needed "proof" that it effected you somehow :/ I also heard that people that called early yesterday, said they won't be comp'd for food going bad in the fridge and such.

They ain't paying. :/
I get that part, but I mean the fact that they have been so negligent that power going off for non-tropical storm conditions for up to a week is their current solution, which will impact our economy, health of families, schooling, working, etc.

Somehow we gotta fix this situation and avoid sparking fires. Whether that means removing PG&E or restructuring them, SOMETHING needs to change.

My sister just got back from a thing she normally does because they cancelled today due to being in the "impacted zone".

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8:59 p.m. PG&E announces delay in next round of shutoffs for Bay Area: Bay Area shutoffs were delayed for an unknown amount of time on Wednesday night, said Jeff Smith, a PG&E spokesman. Smith said the utility will likely begin Bay Area shutoffs "later this evening," but did not specify a time. The utility expected to release an update on the changes Wednesday evening.
I just wish they'd admit that they're not gonna do it. But that would be probably be embarrassing for them.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Tin Foil Hat Time -- this is actually a test run for an Operation Yashima on US Soil (Basically Japan redirected all of its national power into a rifle for Eva Unit-01 to fire).

Stay safe everyone in California!!

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because it's so unpredictable? You know it's coming, but don't know when, and you can't plan around that.
But for the average person, what does it really matter? I'm sure there are plenty of edge cases where the power is crucial and I can understand that, but I'm at home now and if the power goes out, it goes out. I know it could happen but I honestly don't think it will. It's not really any different than a real power outage except this time we know it's coming. I'm just carrying on rather than worrying about it. I stated earlier that I don't think most people will be impacted by this so I think people are making a bigger deal out of this than it is going to actually end up being. This feels like Y2K all over again.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Probably because it's so unpredictable? You know it's coming, but don't know when, and you can't plan around that.
Also maybe some people who lost power aren't posting here because... no internet? Saving phone battery for emergency, etc

Darknight you may not be affected by this but if upwards of a MILLION homes are without power, certainly thats affecting folks. Several hundred thousand homes have been without power since this morning.

My mom just came back from picking up my sister and a ton of the East Side was pitch black.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Power was supposed to be cut at 8 AM here in Berkeley, and the university cancelled all classes. Then it was postponed to "this afternoon," and then "this evening." Now even the school administrators are just in a wait-and-see mode as no one knows what PG&E are planning.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
But for the average person, what does it really matter? I'm sure there are plenty of edge cases where the power is crucial and I can understand that, but I'm at home now and if the power goes out, it goes out. I know it could happen but I honestly don't think it will. It's not really any different than a real power outage except this time we know it's coming. I'm just carrying on rather than worrying about it. I stated earlier that I don't think most people will be impacted by this so I think people are making a bigger deal out of this than it is going to actually end up being. This feels like Y2K all over again.

....my entire life is affected by this and they can't tell us when it will start or when it will end. I work from home so I need power and an internet connection. My daughter goes to school and we don't know if she will be going or not on each day because that decision is up to the school district. We have bought any perishable food since this started because we didn't want it to spoil. They are telling us to expect to be without power for FIVE DAYS. That's a pretty big disruption in a family's life and because this is unprecedented the implication is that this is going to be the new normal from here on out. It's too expensive for PG&E to move the cables underground apparently so nothing is going to change hardware-wise. If the conditions occur again next October we're all going to be without power again for who knows how long.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Also I was realizing that people that have Teslas won't be able to charge their cars.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Darknight you may not be affected by this but if upwards of a MILLION homes are without power, certainly thats affecting folks. Several hundred thousand homes have been without power since this morning.

My mom just came back from picking up my sister and a ton of the East Side was pitch black.

With this example, you have to realize on the circumstances there are with others out there. Picking up kids, do they have school? Do they not? Do I even have work? Do I have to take a day off to take care of said kid? Kind of like planning going on that happened earlier on. And that's just using one example, with the picking up the sister example, going through the black out areas.

Just as I'm posting, the post above shows another clear picture of stuff that happens. It's not just flickering on and off for a night, but days and that might mean some people can't work/make money, and so forth.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Many people's lives and livelihood depend on power man. Y2K was a nothing burger because literally nothing happened. This is different, if you are out of power, You will need a generator, gas for the generator, hope it works and hope you don't run out of gas. Now is it catastrophic? No, but I think the comparison is unfair.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
The main problem was that the whole PSPS was so poorly communicated. Most can't check their website since it was down. Some news channel was able screenshot the maps but it was hard to determine if you are affected when your area is near the boundary.

I mean you have to post the map to twitter and send it out to news stations if your website is down right away. Especially when it would have happened within half a day. I understand the weather changes quickly but at least tell us or post it on twitter. I can't wait for your update briefing all the time.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
A good write up for those just following the news or looking for a succinct source of info

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Also maybe some people who lost power aren't posting here because... no internet? Saving phone battery for emergency, etc

As if a power outage would stop someone from running to Era to post about it... =)

....my entire life is affected by this and they can't tell us when it will start or when it will end. I work from home so I need power and an internet connection. My daughter goes to school and we don't know if she will be going or not on each day because that decision is up to the school district. We have bought any perishable food since this started because we didn't want it to spoil. They are telling us to expect to be without power for FIVE DAYS. That's a pretty big disruption in a family's life and because this is unprecedented the implication is that this is going to be the new normal from here on out. It's too expensive for PG&E to move the cables underground apparently so nothing is going to change hardware-wise. If the conditions occur again next October we're all going to be without power again for who knows how long.
With this example, you have to realize on the circumstances there are with others out there. Picking up kids, do they have school? Do they not? Do I even have work? Do I have to take a day off to take care of said kid? Kind of like planning going on that happened earlier on. And that's just using one example, with the picking up the sister example, going through the black out areas.

Just as I'm posting, the post above shows another clear picture of stuff that happens. It's not just flickering on and off for a night, but days and that might mean some people can't work/make money, and so forth.

But there's really nothing you can do about it at this point. You know that it's a possibility and you adjust accordingly. There's no sense to panic or worry about it at this point and you have you're plan attack based on what happens. I don't panic if my kid gets sick at night wondering if they're going to go to school the next day. We simply make a plan on what happens when they wake up and how we adjust ourselves to compensate. You do the same here.

I also don't get why some schools are closing while others aren't. Is power that crucial for school to take place? Our school sent out an e-mail to everyone notifying that it doesn't look like they will be impacted but even if they are, school will still take place. Am I missing something as to why you can't continue to do school? Most CA schools I've ever seen have windows in every classroom. But even if they weren't having school, it wouldn't be any different than my kid waking up sick in the morning and we adjust are schedule for the day accordingly. I feel like worrying if they have school or not, picking up etc is just overthinking it. Do you not have any plans when your kid gets sick? That can happen more abruptly by finding out when you wake up the next day.

To sum it up, there's nothing you can do at this point and if it happens, just execute the plan that you've already figured out given which factors fall into place. There's no sense in stressing over something that is at this point beyond your control and you might as well just wait until it happens before worrying about it at this point.

Many people's lives and livelihood depend on power man. Y2K was a nothing burger because literally nothing happened. This is different, if you are out of power, You will need a generator, gas for the generator, hope it works and hope you don't run out of gas. Now is it catastrophic? No, but I think the comparison is unfair.

I'm not saying nobody is going to be affected by this, but the last time I checked the map, a large part of the impact area was mostly more rural and less populated areas. SF, the peninsula, east bay, and south bay are largely untouched except around the edges. A lot of that colored in space is empty. Maybe Y2K wasn't the best example, but maybe the last big rain storm they made a big deal out of hitting here which turned out to be barely a big deal. I think the messaging, the lack of updates, and so forth have made more people panic than they should be doing. The Bay Area is something like 8 million people and that's not even factoring the regions beyond that are also included in this.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10:39 p.m. Second phase of shutoffs begin: Shutoffs began hitting East Bay, South Bay and Santa Cruz counties shortly before 11 p.m., according to Karly Hernandez, a PG&E spokeswoman. Utility crews will "continue deenergizing through midnight tonight," Hernandez said.
ugh

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying nobody is going to be affected by this, but the last time I checked the map, a large part of the impact area was mostly more rural and less populated areas. SF, the peninsula, east bay, and south bay are largely untouched except around the edges. A lot of that colored in space is empty. Maybe Y2K wasn't the best example, but maybe the last big rain storm they made a big deal out of hitting here which turned out to be barely a big deal. I think the messaging, the lack of updates, and so forth have made more people panic than they should be doing. The Bay Area is something like 8 million people and that's not even factoring the regions beyond that are also included in this.
10:39 p.m. Second phase of shutoffs begin: Shutoffs began hitting East Bay, South Bay and Santa Cruz counties shortly before 11 p.m., according to Karly Hernandez, a PG&E spokeswoman. Utility crews will "continue deenergizing through midnight tonight," Hernandez said.
ugh
Just fyi, these are ones not just rural areas. :P
Power just went out here. Good times with my headlamp.
Best of luck.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Just fyi, these are ones not just rural areas. :P

Best of luck.

Look at the map; they're on the edges of those areas though where it's less populated compared to the rest of the area.They're on the edges because that's where the hills and open areas are and the people that are affected are on those edges.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Power just went out here. Good times with my headlamp.
You do realize there's actually a ton of houses up there, right, particularly in the Castro Valley area.

Are you actually checking the numbers for those areas, or just eyeing that it looks like hills, and assume there aren't housing up there?

I can't tell if you're intentionally being facetious, or what your point is supposed to be in trying to continue to push this narrative.

I don't need to look at the map, I'm quite familiar with several of those areas as I have many family members who live there.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Look at the map; they're on the edges of those areas though where it's less populated compared to the rest of the area.They're on the edges because that's where the hills and open areas are and the people that are affected are on those edges.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Just because people appear on the edges of those maps doesn't mean they aren't part of the bay area and there aren't millions of us living here.

I now have friends who can't even sleep due to the outage, who are going to fall behind on major deadlines, who didn't have a chance whatsoever to prepare for being without power for however many days this might last.

Don't think people are trying to freak out over some post apocalyptic thing, but rather how incompetent PG&E has been about all this, giving families such short notice to react and prepare.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize there's actually a ton of houses up there, right, particularly in the Castro Valley area.

Are you actually checking the numbers for those areas, or just eyeing that it looks like hills, and assume there aren't housing up there?

I can't tell if you're intentionally being facetious, or what your point is supposed to be in trying to continue to push this narrative.

I don't need to look at the map, I'm quite familiar with several of those areas as I have many family members who live there.

I am looking at the numbers unless these are outdated. The projected number of people impacted in Santa Clara County is 38,250 out of a population of 2 million. The projected number of people to be impacted in Alameda County is 32,680 out of a population of 1.7 million. The map clearly shows it's on the edges and the numbers that were projected are low relative to the majority of the population in the area.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I am looking at the numbers unless these are outdated. The projected number of people impacted in Santa Clara County is 38,250 out of a population of 2 million. The projected number of people to be impacted in Alameda County is 32,680 out of a population of 1.7 million. The map clearly shows it's on the edges and the numbers that were projected are low relative to the majority of the population in the area.
So the hundreds of thousands of people comprised of the tens of thousands of people in each county don't matter? This isn't a problem because only half a million people are without power, and you're fine?

I still don't understand your narrative.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
So just because a lower number people impacted, all of a sudden it means they must all live in a rural area, and they somehow matter less now.

Comments like, "But for the average person, what does it really matter?", is rather insulting as in to imply now that those who are impacted are somewhat not average? If people stress out over this, they're somehow different now?

My issue with your takes is that it's one thing to give advice, and try to help alleviate other people's stress by providing a perspective. It's another to be downplaying the issue, making light of the situation, and trying to prevent others from feeling what they want to feel and just what you want them to feel. If your intent was originally with the former, then admittedly, you did a terrible job at it, and you should just cop to it, and accept it. It's a misunderstanding, so that's fine. But if your intent is the latter, then you should really think about the concept of empathy, and what that actually means in this case.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I just can't quite grasp why you don't recognize that you're coming off as one currently with these comments.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
I will just add one more comment here since I don't want to involve in arguing in bad faith at this point.

The map shown half of the Union City, Vacaville, Cupertino, Napa, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Evergreen & Alum Rock district of San Jose, etc are affected. Most of those area is not even that rural. Most of the East Bay and South Bay area affected is not even your typical suburb area you found in the rest of the US.

And how hard is it to imagine that what a mess would be without the traffic light? Drivers in the Bay Area is already bad. Without traffic, light it will be a mess. Just have empathy. If you can't , just say the situation sucks and leave.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
So the hundreds of thousands of people comprised of the tens of thousands of people in each county don't matter? This isn't a problem because only half a million people are without power, and you're fine?

Where did I say they didn't matter? Point that out to me please because I never said that. I'm not even saying PG&E shouldn't get all the shit that they have coming to them for doing this and the way they've handled it either. I'm saying it seems like a lot more people are freaking out over this when a vast majority of these people will not be impacted.

So just because a lower number people impacted, all of a sudden it means they must all live in a rural area, and they somehow matter less now.

Again, where is this they matter less coming from? I've never said that. I'm pointing out that this is targeted at more rural and open areas because that's the areas they want to avoid having live power lines going down. If you're not near one of those areas, you're very unlikely to be impacted. They're not shutting down power in SF for that very reason. The vast majority of the population are in these areas that are going to be unaffected so it seems like there's a lot of overreaction of people thinking they're going to be impacted.

Comments like, "But for the average person, what does it really matter?", is rather insulting as in to imply now that those who are impacted are somewhat not average? If people stress out over this, they're somehow different now?

My issue with your takes is that it's one thing to give advice, and try to help alleviate other people's stress by providing a perspective. It's another to be downplaying the issue, making light of the situation, and trying to prevent others from feeling what they want to feel and just what you want them to feel. If your intent was originally with the former, then admittedly, you did a terrible job at it, and you should just cop to it, and accept it. It's a misunderstanding, so that's fine. But if your intent is the latter, then you should really think about the concept of empathy, and what that actually means in this case.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I just can't quite grasp why you don't recognize that you're coming off as one currently with these comments.

I am trying to put it in perspective and not trying to make light of the situation. A vast majority of people will not be impacted simply because of where they live. Those who are impacted, it doesn't really do you much good of being on edge watching for updates because you really don't have much control over the situation anyway. It's best to just have your plan, carry on, and only worry about it if it actually happens. There's very little that you gain from refreshing constantly on updates and worrying about if it's going to happen. Again, I'm not trying to make light of someone's situation or trying to say someone isn't as worthy, but this won't impact most people and for those that do, it's out of your hands anyway so you might as well go on with your lives until it happens if it happens at all.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a shitty situation. I get that they're acting to prevent another tragedy like Paradise, but it's their fucking fault for sitting on their asses while the infrastructure crumbled.

I live in Santa Clara so I'm on Silicon Valley Power and unaffected thankfully, but this fucking sucks for everyone else. My family is all in SJ and their power is out. Cell signals are weak and not LTE. No traffic lights. Food will all spoil.

My condo complex is all electric. If I had no power, there's no gas for hot water, or the stove, or anything. I'm sure people are suffering from that right now.

and to the poster above, south san jose is not a "rural area". silver creek, evergreen, alum rock is all dark. a lot of people live there. same goes for every other county affected.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Classes officially cancelled for 2nd day at UC Berkeley.

Wonder if Alameda county is done or if there will be more shutoffs here. So far my home is spared, even thouh the map showed me within the impacted area (barely.)

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
and to the poster above, south san jose is not a "rural area". silver creek, evergreen, alum rock is all dark. a lot of people live there. same goes for every other county affected.

I didn't say it was only rural that's affected. It's mostly rural with the edges the border the rural areas. I'm extremely familiar with the area having been born, raised, and still living here all my life. I even lived in the Evergreen area at one point so I'm extremely familiar with it. Since I'm so familiar with it, I know that the areas you listed aren't South San Jose. Those areas are considered East San Jose. South San Jose is like the Almaden area. And yes, those areas are pushing to the edges of San Jose. Certainly lots of neighborhoods, but again it's the outer edge of the city. They are literally next to the hills and in many cases in the hills.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say it was only rural that's affected. It's mostly rural with the edges the border the rural areas. I'm extremely familiar with the area having been born, raised, and still living here all my life. I even lived in the Evergreen area at one point so I'm extremely familiar with it. Since I'm so familiar with it, I know that the areas you listed aren't South San Jose. Those areas are considered East San Jose. South San Jose is like the Almaden area. And yes, those areas are pushing to the edges of San Jose. Certainly lots of neighborhoods, but again it's the outer edge of the city. They are literally next to the hills and in many cases in the hills.

Who cares if it's called south san jose or east san jose?I grew up in the area as well, lived in Evergreen for over 5 years and it could be considered southeast San Jose for all I care. I'm just saying thousands of homes and families are affected by this and it's a shitty situation to be in.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares if it's called south san jose or east san jose?I grew up in the area as well, lived in Evergreen for over 5 years and it could be considered southeast San Jose for all I care. I'm just saying thousands of homes and families are affected by this and it's a shitty situation to be in.

I never said it wasn't a shitty situation to be in. In fact PG&E should get all the shit coming to them for going through with this and how they handled informing people. I've never said otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Just gonna quote this again so maybe you understand how youre coming off. Im done trying to understandyou downplaying how much this could be affecting any number of the hundreds of thousands impacted right now.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Where did I say they didn't matter? Point that out to me please because I never said that. I'm not even saying PG&E shouldn't get all the shit that they have coming to them for doing this and the way they've handled it either. I'm saying it seems like a lot more people are freaking out over this when a vast majority of these people will not be impacted.
It's more about what is implied, and not said, rather than what you're trying to say.

And why do you keep trying to frame the perspective that just because not a vast majority are affected, all of a sudden, people should stop worrying, and are just overreacting, and not conforming to your beliefs of it is what it is?

Have you considered that people deal with stress differently? Have you considered people may already have plans in place, but may still have some stress anyways? It just feels like you're painting this perfect picture for what you believe a person should be in a stressful situation, and anything that doesn't fit your mold is all of sudden weird, and strange.
Again, where is this they matter less coming from? I've never said that. I'm pointing out that this is targeted at more rural and open areas because that's the areas they want to avoid having live power lines going down. If you're not near one of those areas, you're very unlikely to be impacted. They're not shutting down power in SF for that very reason. The vast majority of the population are in these areas that are going to be unaffected so it seems like there's a lot of overreaction of people thinking they're going to be impacted.
Again, it's about what you're implying, and the comment itself implies that quite directly, and doesn't do much after to clarify.

Honest question. How many of those areas have you been out to?

Where do you live in the Bay Area? How often have you gone out to those areas specifically?

You keep saying "rural", as if that has the same application everywhere, and it's just a single definition that fits your narrative of, move along folks, and, nothing to see here.

So you're saying this is only an issue if it does hit the cities? Because again, that's what you're implying.

Vast majority of the population isn't impacted. So what? Just because the proportion of the population isn't impacted, it's still insensitive to frame it as it's not as big of a problem, so those who are impacted, just deal with it since it didn't impact the areas that matter.

Even if this is not what you're saying, this is exactly what you keep implying with your comments, and I don't know why you keep repeating the same things over and over again, and not reflecting on your words more carefully. However, you seem to just keep doubling, tripling down on it, so I'm not sure if the former is your intention.
I am trying to put it in perspective and not trying to make light of the situation. A vast majority of people will not be impacted simply because of where they live. Those who are impacted, it doesn't really do you much good of being on edge watching for updates because you really don't have much control over the situation anyway. It's best to just have your plan, carry on, and only worry about it if it actually happens. There's very little that you gain from refreshing constantly on updates and worrying about if it's going to happen. Again, I'm not trying to make light of someone's situation or trying to say someone isn't as worthy, but this won't impact most people and for those that do, it's out of your hands anyway so you might as well go on with your lives until it happens if it happens at all.
Putting things into perspective is one thing. Trying to tell people that this should be their perspective, especially those whoa are impacted, is another thing.

How are you unable to see the difference?

How do you know what good it does others? Just because you feel this is the best for you, then good for you. It works for you.

If people stress out, does that all of a sudden mean they're no longer able to make logical decisions just because they're on edge? Being on edge doesn't all of a sudden make you inherently unable to make practical and logical decisions. It also doesn't mean that person doesn't already have one in place.

And in the end, it's how others feel, and you should respect that. You may not agree with it, which you are totally within your right to disagree with. But the way you keep implying that people should just, get over it, is problematic, and the way you keep pushing that it's not impacting most people, doesn't help those who are impacted.

Just because people stress, doesn't mean they can't carry on with their lives either. Stop trying to tell other people how to feel about the situation, without first, empathizing with their situation in the first place. THIS, I feel is really where you keep missing the point, and continue to be stubborn in recognizing from your continued comments in this discussion.

I'm headed to sleep, so if you respond again, I'll make sure to tag back in the morning.

In the end, I'm not looking for a revelation, or to change your mind in how to approach stressful situations. However, I do hope you can recognize that everyone else should be able to express their opinions as well without being judged, and spoke down to (even if you didn't intend it to come off that way, BUT, it did) in the face of experiencing these hardships.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
It's more about what is implied, and not said, rather than what you're trying to say.

And why do you keep trying to frame the perspective that just because not a vast majority are affected, all of a sudden, people should stop worrying, and are just overreacting, and not conforming to your beliefs of it is what it is?

Have you considered that people deal with stress differently? Have you considered people may already have plans in place, but may still have some stress anyways? It just feels like you're painting this perfect picture for what you believe a person should be in a stressful situation, and anything that doesn't fit your mold is all of sudden weird, and strange.

Because for the last few days I've seen people worry and run around buying supplies when they won't be affected. I've seen our office building warn everyone to shut everything down on Tuesday, but oddly enough not on Wednesday when the office building isn't even close to the area. I've seen stores stripped of supplies bought by people who probably don't need them since they aren't in the impacted zone when those supplies could be going to people who are in those areas. Sure this is PG&E's fault for simply pretty much listing every city in the area as being impacted and giving people the wrong idea, but it's easy to look up an impact map since every news site is reporting and showing it and the people who are worried can clearly see they're not in the impacted area. Then there's the fact that the map looks like a larger amount of people are impacted than because of large areas that don't have as dense of population. There are lots of people who are overreacting which doesn't help the people who are really impacted.

Again, it's about what you're implying, and the comment itself implies that quite directly, and doesn't do much after to clarify.

Honest question. How many of those areas have you been out to?

Where do you live in the Bay Area? How often have you gone out to those areas specifically?

You keep saying "rural", as if that has the same application everywhere, and it's just a single definition that fits your narrative of, move along folks, and, nothing to see here.

So you're saying this is only an issue if it does hit the cities? Because again, that's what you're implying.

Vast majority of the population isn't impacted. So what? Just because the proportion of the population isn't impacted, it's still insensitive to frame it as it's not as big of a problem, so those who are impacted, just deal with it since it didn't impact the areas that matter.

Even if this is not what you're saying, this is exactly what you keep implying with your comments, and I don't know why you keep repeating the same things over and over again, and not reflecting on your words more carefully. However, you seem to just keep doubling, tripling down on it, so I'm not sure if the former is your intention.

I'm in the South Bay but having been here for a long time, I'm pretty familiar with everything south of the Golden Gate Bridge as I don't travel to places like Santa Rosa, Novato, Concord, etc too often. But if you want to localize it, I'm pretty familiar with everything from Palo Alto to San Jose and Fremont to San Jose. So I look at the map, and see how everything is only affecting the edges and combine with what I said above, wonder why people who aren't impacted by this running around like the sky is falling. Those people shouldn't be.

You keep reading into things claiming I'm implying things that I'm not implying at all. I can't help the things you're injecting that aren't there in what I'm saying.

Putting things into perspective is one thing. Trying to tell people that this should be their perspective, especially those whoa are impacted, is another thing.

How are you unable to see the difference?

How do you know what good it does others? Just because you feel this is the best for you, then good for you. It works for you.

I'd argue any time you put something into perspective, there will always be someone who reads into it more or differently and there will always be someone who thinks you're trying to tell them that's how they should think. There's never going to be a time when you put a different perspective, that goes against how someone is thinking and that someone out there won't get upset. There will always be people who don't like their point of view challenged but make no mistake they have their own right to have that view. You'd pretty much would have to be saying nobody should try to put things in perspective in a situation where people are stressed because this could happen.

If people stress out, does that all of a sudden mean they're no longer able to make logical decisions just because they're on edge? Being on edge doesn't all of a sudden make you inherently unable to make practical and logical decisions. It also doesn't mean that person doesn't already have one in place.

And in the end, it's how others feel, and you should respect that. You may not agree with it, which you are totally within your right to disagree with. But the way you keep implying that people should just, get over it, is problematic, and the way you keep pushing that it's not impacting most people, doesn't help those who are impacted.

Just because people stress, doesn't mean they can't carry on with their lives either. Stop trying to tell other people how to feel about the situation, without first, empathizing with their situation in the first place. THIS, I feel is really where you keep missing the point, and continue to be stubborn in recognizing from your continued comments in this discussion.

I think being stressed out most certainly impacts your ability to think as clearly and logical as you would when not stressed out. So while I won't say someone can't make a reasonable decision, I do think the stress more often than not impacts that decision. I'm sure you'll disagree with this, and I know some people can feed off the stress and be on top of their game, but I think more often than not the stress doesn't help most people during that process.

People of course can feel how they want to feel; that's their right. I won't ever dispute that. However, I think on a discussion forum like this, it's most certainly reasonable to point out if I think some people are overreacting or aren't being rational. That doesn't mean everyone is or that doesn't mean it's dismissing people who are impacted though.

Just because I said I think many people are overreacting that doesn't mean I think everyone is overreacting. It was never my intention diminish people who are impacted but I also believe I never wrote anything claiming they were less worthy or didn't count. There is nothing light of someone who is significantly negatively impacted by this. I'm simply looking at it from an overall picture.

I'm probably making a big mistake posting this right before passing out too.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Looks like San Joaquin county made it through the night, only a tiny sliver was affected. I just checked the map and it's crazy how all of the surrounding areas are the ones affected.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
"Better safe than sorry" even for the uneffected areas are a thing. There was absolutely a chance that PG and E could've shut down additional areas on a whim (if the situation changed last minute), or accidentally press the wrong shut down button or whatever. A little "oopsie", and maybe some of the uneffected area people should've bought gas or water or whatever that they needed and had no current supply of.

Steve9842017

Nov 7, 2017
Still have power in the Hayward Hills (Fairview), though our house was literally right outside the impact zone. Relatives in Niles Fremont were smack dab in the impact zone according to the map, but they still have power as well.